Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

CeramicPig posted:

For any doctors visits that are gonna follow for the next five years, do I still write on the forms that I have had no surgeries? I wouldn't consider this a surgery by a long shot but just to be sure. Also, would I say I'm not on any medications or do I just write Mirena in that area?
I list my Paraguard under medications on any form that asks for it. I'd definitely do it for Mirena too. I'd rather have doctors offices have too much info than not enough.

I've had my Paraguard since Feb 2012 and I have to say my last period was the first one that wasn't excruciating as far as cramps go. If it stays like this I will be so happy. Of course, I still fuckin leaked overnight which was really annoying (and admittedly my fault for buying cheap pads). I had very light periods my whole life so I think I'm still getting used to a heavier flow at night.

It's so great that IUDs are becoming so much more common. However, my friend posted the NPR story that was linked above on Facebook and the sheer amount of misinformation still out there about IUDs is astounding. I know this will continue to decrease but I just really wish people would do their own homework on top of talking to their doctors, since even this thread has shown how many doctors are still idiot assfaces when it comes to IUDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

superbelch posted:

I'm an OB-GYN resident doc with a special interest in family planning and a masters degree in public health.

I have nothing to add to the BC discussion (other than loving my Paraguard for the past 2 years) but wanted to say as a research assistant in epidemiology who works with OB/GYNs on a few studies, my hats off to you for choosing such a great field to pursue. My boss conducted the first epidemiological studies in women so I love hearing about doctors pursuing public health too. :)

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face
I'm hoping this is the right thread to post this question in. I'm in need of some advice. I've been in a 2 mo monogamous relationship with a guy I'm completely gaga over. I got tested, he got tested, and now I want to stop using stupid condoms. I've had a Paraguard for going on 2 yrs now. The problem is he's Bosnian (came here after the war) and didn't even know what an IUD was till I explained it to him with the help of diagrams on the internet. Neither of us ever want kids and he's SUPER insane paranoid about getting me knocked up. 2nd problem is we're both 38 so sometimes his dudeparts don't cooperate with use of condoms and they do a great job of killing the mood for various reasons.

Ideally, I'd take him to my lady doctor to have poo poo explained to him by a professional but he works 6 days a week so to have time for that would be tough. I'm just not sure what to do here. I hate to be like this but condoms really do suck (even with using lubricants). I'd never stop seeing him over this but I have my poo poo locked down for a reason and it just seems like rampant overkill. Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face
Thanks - I'll try that tonight. :)

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Anne Whateley posted:

In the meantime you could also try using condoms that don't suck. You could get a microthin variety pack, or I think a couple of us recommend Skyn (which isn't so pricey if you buy online).

Also, not to be the buzzkill, but two months seems a little early maybe? If either of you happened to catch something before getting together, it's possible it wouldn't show up on STD tests yet.

I guess you're right about waiting a little longer. Thanks for the dose of rational thought!

That article definitely helped and he seems to understand the effectiveness much better and we also looked at diagrams again. He's quite fascinated with it now. He's the first Muslim I've dated (or have known really) and it seems from our long talk tonight that he grew up pretty conservative and BC isn't something he has a lot of knowledge about other than condoms. He has only had a few partners too so I think I'm just going to table this and try different condoms starting tomorrow.

Thanks for the awesome responses! Yinz are great folks. I feel a million times better about stuff now.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Kimmalah posted:

And yes if you can stand it, somewhere around 3-6 months was when I went from always being vaguely aware that "hey something's in there" to just feeling 100% normal and not noticing the IUD. Before that I would get weird stuff like random cramps and just little twinges/aches in my pelvis, along with the Paragard bloodbaths.
With my Paragard, which I've had for 3 yrs next month, it was 6 mos of horrible cramping periods and that vaguely aware feeling you mention. Then 2 years go by perfectly fine with relatively normal (albeit heavy) periods and BAM horrible, horrible cramping periods came back in Oct. 2014. I gave up and am seeing my doctor today to discuss what in the gently caress is going on. i'm having random terrible cramps throughout the month and regular interval 'period comin' cramps upwards of 3 days before it even starts. On top of that, it was so bad last month that I had to miss 1.5 days of work due to being kept up all night with cramps so bad I thought I'd have to go to the ER. I take Aleve which I feel like I'm addicted to at this point. It takes the edge off for sure but holy gently caress I just can't deal with it anymore. I'm physically scared for my period to start in T-minus 7 days (and sitting here with cramps already).

On top of that, severe boob pain starts 7-8 days before my period and lasts throughout it. I started taking evening primrose oil for it back in Sept. which is actually helping but I basically spend 2 weeks in a bra (sometimes even in the shower) because they feel like they're going to rip off of my body if I take my bra off.

Not sure if either of the above things are Paragard-related, getting old-related (I'm 39) or what but something has to change. I'm considering getting the IUD out and getting my tubes tied but not sure if doing that will change my symptoms. My friend just had endometriosis surgery 3 weeks ago and she said my symptoms sounded like what she went thru but who knows. I hate speculating and basically can't wait till my appt at 11:15. :(

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face
Going today to get a Mirena. I was initially planning on just getting my tubes tied but due to another medical issue I have to have surgery on my TONGUE in 2 weeks so having another surgery is just out of the question right now. I had a copper IUD for several years (posted about this in here a few mos ago) but it started making my periods horrible so I got it removed. I'm really hoping the Mirena is nicer to me than the Paragard. I'm also hoping the insertion feels like being nuzzled by a unicorn.

Since I've been off of any BC for over a month now, I've taken 4 pregnancy tests (my cycle was wonky from getting the Paragard out and my period was 4 days late) and 1 Plan B even though we use spermicide and a condom or spermicide+withdrawal (I know, that's pretty freaking stupid). It is almost debilitating how worried I am about getting pregnant. :(

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Kimmalah posted:

The Plan B is pretty notorious for messing up your menstrual cycle for a while, which probably isn't going to help the anxiety. And then Mirena will also probably make you pretty irregular or possibly make your periods stop so just a heads up.
Well the Mirena wouldn't go in. Even after a very painful shot of lidocaine my cervix still wouldn't cooperate. I'm just going to do the Depo shot for 1 or 2 rounds till I can get my tubes tied. I can't ever go thru that experience again.

And yes I'm aware of the irregularity which really sucks but is something I have to deal with. Maybe I am overly paranoid about such things but I'm calming down about it. At least the shot will be effective quickly because I'm getting it when my period starts in a few days.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Kimmalah posted:

The Depo shot can also make your periods irregular or absent altogether. The only reason I mention it is because I know if you're already super anxious about pregnancy, not having periods because of birth control can ramp it up even higher so I thought it would be good to be aware.
Thanks. I do really appreciate it. My doctor put me on the spot after the Depo shot yesterday and asked, 'So, Pig Head what are the signs of pregnancy?' I could only come up with nausea, which is fairly pathetic, I know, but I was also kind of distracted by getting the shot. I guess I will have to keep a close eye out for the main pregnancy symptoms. Ideally I will be able to get my tubes tied in the next 6 months if I see I'm not enjoying having irregular periods or have weird Depo side effects. So far I feel like it's making this current period (got the shot yesterday on day 1) heavier than last month but that's normal.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Kimmalah posted:

The Depo shot can also make your periods irregular or absent altogether. The only reason I mention it is because I know if you're already super anxious about pregnancy, not having periods because of birth control can ramp it up even higher so I thought it would be good to be aware.
Just to follow up. I got the Depo on March 31, no period during my normal time in April and doesn't seem like anything's cooking for this month either. You were right - it is bizarre not having a period and I have to fight the urge to take a pregnancy test all the time. Of course, my boyfriend still uses his tried and true pull out method so I know I really don't have anything to worry about. Thankfully, the only side effects was a high-school type break out on my face (which my face has always been clear) for a few weeks and my appetite has definitely increased. After I figure out my boss's travel schedule for the Fall I might get my tubes tied but keep getting the Depo till then.

For those who use a BC that eliminates periods, do you take pregnancy tests just to be sure every once in a while? My doctor said just to be aware of severe breast tenderness and fatigue as early signs of pregnancy but I guess I'm just looking for some peace of mind from others on this matter. :)

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face
Thanks for the responses! I think I will take a test here and there, maybe pick some up today. I'm tempted to make him pee on one too.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Kimmalah posted:

Maybe they've changed things in the last few years, because I was researching around and it can be done with the same incisions/instruments (laparascope) and just takes a little bit longer. Apparently doctors are considering making it the new standard procedure because of the ovarian cancer thing. The recovery stories I read sounded pretty much the same as the tubal ones anyway. :shrug:

But we'll see what the doctor says I guess, apparently it's one of her specialties.

Edit: Annnd reading over it that came out kind of pedantic and nitpicky sounding. In the end I just want to be as sterile as they can possibly make me without also going through early menopause. :v: I'll probably hug the doctor if she says yes.
I'm getting my tubes fully removed on the 24th (finally woo yay). Same with you, I liked that full removal = decreased risk of ovarian cancer and being as sterile as possible. My doctor told me that it's actually 4 small incisions + belly button incision (where they stick the camera in, all of this is so fascinating) instead of the normal 2 for a regular tubal I guess. The recovery is the same and she said the surgery doesn't take any longer than the regular one but maybe it depends on the hospital too. I'm so excited I could puke. She did tell me that removing the tubes completely can lead to early menopause but said won't be a big deal - she'd just knock me out and stick a Mirena up there (considering my previous failed insertion attempt a few mos ago) to help with the hormonal poo poo but we will cross that bridge later. I really prefer just having my normal shark week back as long as humanly possible.

Good luck with your appointments and what not!

Edit for retarded grammar.

Pig Head fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 13, 2015

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face
Toot toot all aboard the no baby train! I will definitely write up a little thing for this thread or PM you when I'm feeling better. I read yesterday that post-tubal furts smell like hair spray. Hehehe

Glad to hear your mom and SO are supportive. I was a bit worried about my mom because neither I nor my brother have ever wanted kids. Her only grandkids are my 2 idiot cats. My boyfriend's family, being Muslim, will have no knowledge of any of this. They're getting the 'neither of us can have kids' and we're just leaving it at that. We're both 39 so it's not a huge surprise that we won't be having any.

And thx for clarifying - I'm kind of glad the surgery won't be longer. The boyfriend was looking at my pre-surgery paperwork last night and I noticed they wrote 'laproscopic bilateral tubal ligation' so now I'm all paranoid and have to call to make sure that is just a catch-all term and I'm still getting the tube removal. I'm also curious why they don't take any type of scan prior to surgery so they know where the tubes are. I did have an internal ultrasound done at the same hospital when I was having IUD issues back in March so maybe they will look at that. It's just weird to go in with a camera and have to hunt around for them. Or maybe it's not at all.

Edit: After 3 phone calls to my insurance company I was FINALLY able to convince them that, no, they cannot charge me a $200 surgical copay for the tubal. loving prick assholes not knowing the ACA. :mad:

Pig Head fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 14, 2015

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Kimmalah posted:

My mom has never been one of those "Give me grandkids!" kind of mothers and she already has a baby granddaughter to play with thanks to my brother. She had a tubal herself after I was born and said it was the best thing she ever did, if that helps. I don't have PMs so you'll probably have to post in the thread!

Well, I'm 1 day out from salpingectomy and still in quite a bit of pain. It bums me out reading ahead of time (mostly on reddit) that people weren't in much pain after. My stomach is huge and hard from the gas and really everything just hurts. I still feel a little out of it from the anesthesia too. Can't even stand up straight. :(

Best part, was home from surgery at 1pm yesterday and have only been able to sleep for a whopping 6 hours. God, I'm hoping to feel better tomorrow. I'm going to try to take a walk with my boyfriend in a bit to help the gas pain.

I'm also surprised the doctor or someone hasn't called to check on me. Every single previous surgeries I've always gotten a call that night or next day to see how I'm doing and reiterate instructions. They told me to leave the steri strips alone but I have a big band aid type bandage over my belly button which I have no clue if that can come off. They also left freaking 5 of those sticky things that I assume lines are attached to on my body AND I woke up with an extra IV in my other hand that's swollen and turning purple.

Overall I'm a crabby sad mess right now but know I will heal fine and in a few weeks I will be over the moon that I'm finally permanently baby worry free!!!

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Kimmalah posted:

Most of the time when I have bandages like that, it's usually something like 24 hours or until it falls off by itself, whichever comes first. But those were more for biopsies and a heart cath. The electrodes are most likely fine to take off if you haven't already. And the IV thing is weird - I had a doctor leave one in my arm once (not hooked to anything, just capped) and the nurses told me it was basically useless after a while anyway because it didn't have anything going through it to keep it clear.

But your best bet is to call the doctor that did the surgery to be 100% sure of course, because I'm just pulling this from my many hospital stays/tests.

As for the gas, I've heard stuff like Gas-X (simethicone) can help though I'm not sure how true that is since most of it is in your abdominal cavity.
Thanks for replying. You are such a helpful person. :) I still have a huge rear end bruise from that 2nd IV but the belly button bandage did fall off after my 2nd shower. And still have some gas pain even though I've walked A LOT since Saturday. The best thing that helps, I found, is rolling from side to side on a bed. Sadly, I can't really do that at the office. I'm still trying to get up and walk around every few minutes but my belly button pain is still making me walk like an old lady. It's all very annoying but there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

My boyfriend has a countdown timer on his phone for when we can have sex again. I don't see my doc till Aug 12 to get the go ahead but I have a feeling I'm going to call as soon as I'm 100% pain free to ask if I can be cleared for adult relations. Waiting till after the 12th seems absurd.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face
In talking with my doctor at my salpingectomy follow up yesterday, most (if not all, I can't remember exactly what she said) states require a 30 day wait period after signing the consent forms for tubals. My wait between consult/signing of forms was under 30 days, however. Kind of strange for them to already schedule the tubal before even seeing you. Regardless, make sure to load up on ibuprofen before the IUD removal. My removal was pretty rough and I imagine it would have been worse had I not taken 4 advils an hour before.

Found out at my follow up that my rear end in a top hat belly button is infected. Was prescribed Keflex. I feel like rear end today, hopefully just from the pills and not because I'm slowly dying from an infection. :( Everything else is A-OK which I'm happy about. My doc said it was the easiest salpinectomy she's performed in a few years and she was able to completely remove the tubes. So happy about everything minus rear end in a top hat belly button.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Explosions! posted:

Awesome for you! I'm glad they don't seem to be giving you any trouble so far.

Question for people who have already been through a tubal: how long did it take you to get back to work? Everything I'm reading says 1-3 days but I do a pretty physical job with a lot of twisting. I'm scheduled for a Friday surgery, will I hate myself trying to go back Tuesday?
I had my surgery on a Friday and went back to my office job on Tuesday. I was ok but nowhere near 100%. Like any surgery, it depends on your body as to how fast you bounce back. I think me being a little older made my recovery a little longer compared to all the stuff I read online. I also had a full removal of tubes which is a little more involved. All that said, listen to your body. If you're not ready to go back on Tuesday, don't! You don't want to do anything that will disrupt the healing process. Good luck!

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Kimmalah posted:

I have my pre-op on Thursday! I'm hoping I'll finally get to sit down with the actual surgeon and discuss details, since I still can't find anything about "no kids = clips only." This 30 day waiting business has also been ridiculous, since I've basically had to put stuff like job hunting on hold until further notice because the state thinks I'll suddenly go baby crazy (after spending years dreaming about being sterile). I feel like something in the cosmos must be with me, because the last few months I've been surrounded by crazy hyperactive toddlers and my cousin just had a super-colicky baby that cries non-stop.

It may have been covered earlier, but for those who have already done the surgery, are there any "must haves" I should get? I'm kind of trying to gather stuff together now for recovery. I have plenty of pads, OTC pain relievers and stuff to settle my stomach. I live with family right now so having groceries and meals on hand shouldn't be an issue. I've also got a nice backlog of TV to get through and will be looking for some baggy shorts sometime this week.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'no kids = clips only'. My surgeon gave me all of the tubal options (essure, clips, salpingectomy) and I chose what I wanted (salpingectomy). Guess it can vary wildly with sterilization poo poo though. The 30 day wait I had to go through too but I honestly just thought it was because of scheduling issues and not a mandate. I felt like a dork not knowing because it was on the consent form I signed at my consult. :P

To address the post surgery stuff you need - The best advice I got was to wear big granny panties on surgery day. It makes it worlds easier to get dressed afterwards and you don't want anything tight around that area. Even with the full removal, I had very, very little bleeding afterwards but I think that varies from person to person. I would recommend picking up a stool softener just in case you have to take the pain pills they will give you. I took mine for almost a week (even after stopping the useless vicodin - 800 mg ibuprofen worked WAY better) because straining isn't fun afterwards.

I assume whatever you're having will be done laproscopically. They didn't tell me this on my post-op paperwork but clean your belly button 2x a day with warm water and soap (or alcohol on a q tip). I ended up with an infection and it wasn't fun. Baggy shorts are a must too.

You're very lucky to have family to cook for you and stuff. The first 2 days after my surgery, I was pretty loving bonkers (I think from the anesthesia, again you could be fine) and could barely be trusted to make coffee. :)

Overall, including the infection, it took me a good 6-7 weeks to get back to 100%, including exercising normally without pain. Now I feel like a new person and me and the boyfriend's sex life has gotten SO much better not having to worry about getting knocked up. Good luck and godspeed!

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

AquarianFire posted:

It took my body a full year to even out after a year on Depo Provera. Just as it takes a while for your body to adjust to newly taking BC pills, it can also take a while to adjust to going off of them. Give it a few more months and I bet you'll be back to normal (normal as in what you were before you started BC pills to begin with).
From what my doctor (and the internet) says, it can take a month or 2 to up to 18 mos to even out after Depo. Reading your post worries me that I'll be suffering with weird periods for a year. My last Depo shot was in June, got my tubes removed in July, and got my first period on Oct. 31. It lasted till Nov. 11. Not fun at all. I was so tired I missed a day of work and felt like I had freaking mono. I really hope this doesn't continue to happen. There are only so many Kotex coupons I can find...

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

AquarianFire posted:

For me, that happened twice in a row once my periods jump started back up. After that, I got more and more back into my normal cycle, with random spotting sometimes and one month where I totally just skipped a period all together. I went off it in November of last year, didn't get a period again until March/April (but had random spotting and weirdness in between) and I just started feeling 100% normal again with my last 2-3 periods (basically August timeframe). July was the month I skipped all together, and May and June periods didn't have much time in between them, but finally the August and September periods seemed to come at normal time and lasted a normal amount of days that I was used to before heading into the Depo nightmare. I also noticed other positives that were coming back... sex drive was slowly increasing (but still not back to normal...sigh), my happiness scale has been jumpstarted (I didn't even have the desire to listen to music while on Depo - which is totally out of character for me), my weight is finally stable (gaining 20 lbs on Depo with the scale creeping up everytime I stepped on it... ugh), and other just random personality changes that finally make me feel like I'm back to my old self. So, while coming off it takes a bit, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

Side note: I don't want my post to be against Depo. It worked WONDERS for me in getting rid of a HUGE cyst I had on my right ovary that my doctors assumed was my endometriosis coming back. I had an ultrasound and the doctor basically told me it was a chocolate cyst because they couldn't see through it and *I* asked to go on Depo as a last measure before having surgery again. When I went back a year later, after being on Depo, the cyst was gone. Like totally gone and that's when I decided that I was done with Depo. It worked and now I needed to get that poo poo out of me. So while Depo can have crazy side effects and can drive some people crazy, it worked wonders for me and I would totally do it all over again if I needed to. This was the 2nd time in 20 years that Depo basically saved me.
Dang, I had no idea being on Depo could shrink a cyst. Learn something new every day! Regardless of those side effects you experienced, that's great news. I had very few side effects from the shot other than zits with every 'no-period-cycle' - I haven't had any big zits to speak of for 20+ yrs so that was kind of difficult to deal with. Oh, and the loving weight gain. That's been the worst part. I gained exactly 14 lbs since my first shot in March and it's not budging yet. Then again, since I've been on Depo, I've had 2 surgeries and a host of tooth issues so all of those things certainly haven't helped me on the scale. It blows.

I'm glad to hear about this goofiness coming off of Depo. I was considering calling my doctor to ask if that crazy period I had was normal but I know she would have wanted to see me and I'd be hit with a copay. No thanks.

I will say too that I never, ever, ever kept track of my periods until I got the P Tracker app last year. It's fabulous. I feel so period-organized now. :)

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

thebehaviorist posted:

I had Mirena for 5 years. Loved it and no problems whatsoever. I got Skyla around September when my Mirena expired. Haven't had sex at all until about February and the sex is a little rougher than I'm used to and there is some pain with penetration. There was an incident recently where we were having sex in a different position and there was a HORRIBLE pain that caused me to curl up in a ball and want to die. No blood or anything. We waited a bit then resumed. Next time we had sex i orgasmed and there was this sharp pinch pain at the beginning of the orgasm. Not severe but kind of killed it for me. Afterward there was quite a bit of blood! No pain though. I haven't bled again so I haven't been to the doctor however I continue to get that sharp little pinch when I start to orgasm. We also cant really do any rough sex because it hurts. I never had this issue with Mirena. Any pain I feel is only during sex; no pain day to day. Anyone else have this problem?

This is the reason I had my copper IUD removed! I had it for about 5 years having very little (all vanilla) sex. Then met my boyfriend and certain positions would make me ball up in pain as though I was being stabbed up my cervix with a bayonet. The pain would last no more than a minute or 2 but in that time I wanted to die. Went to the doctor, got an ultrasound to make sure the IUD was sitting properly and it was. I put up with that horrible pain - which would get worse before my period started and during - for about 6 months before I gave up and had it removed.

First thing I'd do is get an ultrasound or sonogram - can't remember which one it is but they stick it inside you to see how the IUD is sitting. Getting that done hurt me too which surprised the chick who did it but I never did find out what the cause of the pain was. I really hope you get it figured out and you have my and my ladyparts' sympathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

thebehaviorist posted:

Ugh sorry to hear this!! Thanks for the sympathy. I feel like things are gonna be very vanilla till I get this drat thing removed. I'll have it checked first but my experience sounds just like yours. What type of BC did you go on after your IUD was removed?

I had 2 rounds of Depo and it was awful (though I do know people who didn't have issues with it). After that, I had my tubes removed and couldn't be happier! Good luck and update please. I will send you good juju.

• Locked thread