Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrOpus posted:

I just melted.

Image doesn't fit the requirements of the OP, this was taken on a sony camera that used a goddamn floppy disk for storage, but it's one of my favorite pictures I've ever taken of this cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

m.hache posted:

I really want to get some nicely lit shots in the next few days but he will never sit still when the suns up.

That's odd, because my cats suddenly lose all will to live as soon as a sunbeam comes in through the back door. Their legs turn to jello and they remain stationary until dinner time.

edit - here, see. I took this shot because I had the ipod handy and this cat has still not recovered from the sun. This is where she was when I got home from work.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 1, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Black cats are bitch to shoot indoors. Also, loving cut off his feet, so pissed.

The worst part is when you finally have enough light that they don't look like black blobs.. their fur doesn't look black anymore.

My black cat turns into an orangish-grey cat in the sun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I dig that last photo, but it would be better if the highlights weren't blown out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I only mention it because on my overachieving macbook screen, the white is borderline painful.

I really think Steve Jobs put a small sun in there for a backlight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

Those are actually from my 600mm f4 (staying true to the OP's request that "I suggest that all photos be taken using at least one ridiculously expensive piece of kit."). :)
That explains why I was interpreting his expression as worry, poor thing was scared you were lining him up in the sights of your bazooka.

"Maybe if I hide under this dandelion, he won't see me."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, your cat isn't black. There's no way you're going to win that contest.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm renting Canon's 100-400 f4.5-5.6L for a race this weekend, and it showed up today. So I did what any sane person would do while learning to use it, I pointed it at my cat.

:aaaaa:

I can see my porch from here!

I have no idea how I'm gonna lug this lens around for a weekend.. it is wrist destroying. I guess it stays attached to the tripod. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrOpus posted:

Oh my god, how adorable. :shobon:

If that dog doesn't have a home already, there is no hope for any other dog in a shelter. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That seals it, dog breeding is in fact animal abuse!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love the second one, and I hate dogs. Stop making me like dogs! :argh:

He just looks so happy. OH BOY I GET TO RUN AROUND.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He looks like he just got done ripping some small animal in two, with the way his snout looks bloody.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bella's eyes are all "why you gotta put me in black and white? :smith:"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress taking pictures of black cats. :argh:

Wife and I have had one for 10 years now and I've never taken a decent picture of her.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty much. Get a fast lens with nice BOKEYS, shoot wide open, and crank the ISO up (that's where the fuzzy noise is coming from).

Don't forget to beg and plead with your cat for 45 minutes to sit still in the same spot long enough to get the shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Both of my cats respond to their names. :colbert:

They even know which name is theirs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rio posted:

I am seriously considering buying a second computer chair just so I don't have to disrupt this cat's sleep schedule.

Been there, done that. We brought a chair from the dining room into the computer room and put a blanket on it so the cat would stop stealing our seat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat son, that's a serious setup.

I just open the door and kick our cats outside.. they seem to have zero interest in jumping off (probably because the balcony is 20 feet above the ground and they start bawling like babies if I get them too close to the edge). I never even considered putting up mesh to prevent escapes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I love cattes too much.

Are they litter mates somehow, or is that a boy/girl thing going on?

We have two female cats and if they ever get that close to each other, it turns into hissing and swatting. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dog seems confused why everything is green in the middle of January.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gfycat has become a bit of a plague on this forum, but SA doesn't actually let you embed webm currently so you end up with geniuses embedding the 80MB gif version instead.

So what I'm saying is gfycat is really cool, but gotta be careful with it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have a black cat and she loves to sit on anything that's black. So if you're going to make a habit of leaving reflectors on the floor maybe take that into account next time you're cat buying.. apparently they love to camouflage themselves.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Black kitties are the best. And yeah that kitten is going nowhere because kittens are genetically engineered to melt hearts.

I'm no veterinarian but I'd say she's 2-3 months old. Properly fed kitties will gain about one pound a month so you can get a guess that way too.

I've read that mothers will hide their kittens to go hunt but if she's litter trained that's probably not what happened.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Got a new lens, took a picture of our new kitten Penny with it because what else do you do with new camera equipment?

Penny in a box by xzzy, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, she's adorable enough to melt the coldest heart. And this is on top of how kittens are already evolved to command attention.

It's embarrassing how many exposures I've taken of her playing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Time to offset all these good dogs with a cat carrying a fuzz ball in her mouth.

Penny got her ball. by xzzy77, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There were no utensils in medieval times, hence, there are no utensils at medieval times. Would you like some pepsi?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Black kitties with the white bowtie are the best.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does Victoria like tummy scritches because that's the best part of a long hair cat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Correct procedure to test a lens rental is point it at your cats, right?

Cat Based Lens Test #1 by xzzy77, on Flickr

(sigma's 24mm 1.4)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Depression Era Dog Without Hydrant to Pee on. Digital color, c. 2018.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why should anyone invest effort on critique when the photographer couldn't invest effort on uploading properly focused pictures?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That Tamron 70-200 is cheat mode. Optically it's about equivalent to the Canon version but the price can't be beat and the IS is magic. I think some people don't like how sticky it is but I love it.

Only time the 80d fails me is when focusing with my Tamron 150-600. I don't know why but it's really bad at it. Same lens works great on my newer body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you have someone assisting to cat herd for those? Because setting up cat shots solo is loving impossible in my experience.