Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Thanks Ants posted:

Ikea Bekant stuff is probably the best you'll find for what they cost. They claim it's for an office rather than home but it wouldn't last five minutes in an actual commercial environment, it is pretty solid for home use though.

The leg height adjusts between 65 and 85cm, but you have to slide the leg and tighten a grub screw to do it. Fine if you're doing it every few months but otherwise get a standing desk.

Love the username. Thanks ants… Thants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Catatron Prime posted:

That's the same problem I had with the used Leap V2 I bought last year. So I just popped down to a local used office furniture place and picked up an Aeron Classic for 600$. Weirdly I kinda liked it more than the Embody I tried out, but that's not much more than a first impression

Did you look at replacing the seat?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Update: I had forgotten a Herman Miller Gaming Embody existed and it came out cheaper than a Steelcase Gesture, so I ordered that. Generally it feels great, though the seat pan feels like it’s slight tilted forwards and I do wish I could tilt that back just a bit, but it’s probably just from me being used to having a seat pan slightly tilted backwards. I’m also getting a bit of sciatic pain after sitting for a while, but again I assume it’s from adjusting to sitting properly.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Happy gaming :)

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Any UK goons got a rec for a chair you can get here for cheap. Must be maximum comfort for the money which would be around £120-130 tops. Thank thee you sweet, sweet goons

You can’t really get anything actually good for that price. I’d suggest just searching for an office chair on Facebook marketplace and hope to find a Herman Miller/Steelcase chair for cheap since lots of people don’t know how much those cost, and often when companies close down they just sell those chairs for really cheap.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My Think cost me £80 on eBay about a decade ago, if you can find one near you

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Ikea Bekant stuff is probably the best you'll find for what they cost. They claim it's for an office rather than home but it wouldn't last five minutes in an actual commercial environment, it is pretty solid for home use though.

The leg height adjusts between 65 and 85cm, but you have to slide the leg and tighten a grub screw to do it. Fine if you're doing it every few months but otherwise get a standing desk.

I looked at these Bekant things but for some reason they, as a lot of other contemporary tables, only have two proper legs instead of four, and the reviews say they are a bit wobbly as a result. A puzzling trend, it seems that something like 90% of all desks these days are two-legged. I would have thought sturdiness (= 4 legs) would be like... the whole point of a desk? :confused:

Anyway, I guess Ikea's Mittback (two of those + separate tabletop) would be the closest thing to what I want. However I didn't go for that but instead got a more expensive four-legged electrified desk, as I would probably mess up the do-it-yourself nature of Mittback (yeah, even though it seems like it should be very easy)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

jaete posted:

I looked at these Bekant things but for some reason they, as a lot of other contemporary tables, only have two proper legs instead of four, and the reviews say they are a bit wobbly as a result. A puzzling trend, it seems that something like 90% of all desks these days are two-legged. I would have thought sturdiness (= 4 legs) would be like... the whole point of a desk? :confused:

quad-leg standing desks exist but they're considerably more expensive than the dual-leg ones, and there aren't very many options in the UK currently

flexispot UK has a couple, the E2Q (two motors driving two legs each) and the E7Q (quad motor, hella expensive)

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I ended up returning my leap 2 today and got a Mirra 2. Despite initially liking leap 2 a lot I just couldn’t sit in it for a long time, it felt like it was comfortable but not supporting anything (probably wrong).

I think it’s the lack of proper sacral support. On the Mirra you can literally feel it poke into your tailbone which I actually really like. And Mirra is what I use at work so I already know it works great for my body.

Also even though I initially didn’t really care about the rocking motion on the HM chairs, it’s actually really nice and now I find myself doing it very often. I have a feeling this also helps with back pain since you’re constantly moving and engaging your abs.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
you know we’re getting old when goons start discovering the benefits of rocking chairs

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Curious if the Embody gang has Fabric Opinions; I’m contemplating getting one & will be hoping the showrooms have the various options available, but showroom/salesperson isn’t the same as lived experiences. What feels good, looks good, cleans good (upthread goon’s hard water stain notwithstanding)?

It also sounds like at least a few folks have had success on hardwood floors with the HM “hard surfaces” upgrade casters, is that right? I’m aware of aftermarket rollerblade style, and also ran across this Enso brand of non-rollerblade (eg, https://ensomotion.com/castor-wheels/70-okina-mu/) but not sure if they’re well known.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I tried an Embody today and it felt kind of underwhelming. The first time I sat down in a Leap I immediately exclaimed 'ooh that's good' but the embody was... totally fine, I think, but that's it.

And I need a new chair. I have a Steelcase think and I'm not a fan.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Happiness Commando posted:

I tried an Embody today and it felt kind of underwhelming. The first time I sat down in a Leap I immediately exclaimed 'ooh that's good' but the embody was... totally fine, I think, but that's it.

Honestly that’s how I felt with the leap too. But both HM chairs that I’ve tried for a long period of time have felt better if you sit for many hours at a time. The leap feels like a good, comfortable chair with lots of customization whereas both Sayl and Mirra that I’ve used initially don’t feel like anything special, and I’d expect most people to feel underwhelmed by them, considering the price, but then once you get used to them you don’t want to use anything else.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Yeah, the thing is that it stays fine for marathon sitting. I’ve had 16 hour workdays where it’s been solid start to finish (I mean I get up for breaks and to move, but the point still stands. Or sits. Whatever.)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Don't be fooled the embody is bad and only mutant freaks like it. Back back to the toxic waste fields with you!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

yeah that’s the point

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. On paper the Mirra literally has a plastic back and when you first lean back in it I can definitely see why someone wouldn’t find it comfortable. But it works so well, for me at least, that I don’t get tired sitting in it for a whole day at work and then a couple of hours at home gaming.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My roommate bought me a new office chair for Christmas, which is super nice of him. The chair itself is good, but I can't bear to tell him the gas cylinder is garbage and the chair slowly sinks even when I'm not sitting in it.

Does the PVC pipe hack work okay? I'm thinking of just doing that, but I'm worried it might feel weird to sit on that. Should I just buy a replacement cylinder? If so, any recommended brands? I'm around 260 lbs, which probably matters a lot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's a month old then put a warranty claim in, nobody is going to be offended that their gift broke

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

If it's a month old then put a warranty claim in, nobody is going to be offended that their gift broke

Yeah, I guess I should just ask him. I checked their Amazon page and it looks like you have to contact the seller for replacement details. They don't have a website.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I got tricked into being an office-dweller this week, so I’ve just been grabbing whichever cube I like, and I stumbled across this Steelcase:

I kinda like the headrest, and the rest of it seems to work fairly well for me as well. Anyone know which one this is?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looks like a Gesture with the headrest

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DizzyBum posted:

I'm around 260 lbs, which probably matters a lot.
well there’s your problem

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

well there’s your problem

Hey, real fuckin' cool, thanks, I'll work on that. In the meantime do you have advice?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

My roommate bought me a new office chair for Christmas, which is super nice of him. The chair itself is good, but I can't bear to tell him the gas cylinder is garbage and the chair slowly sinks even when I'm not sitting in it.

Does the PVC pipe hack work okay? I'm thinking of just doing that, but I'm worried it might feel weird to sit on that. Should I just buy a replacement cylinder? If so, any recommended brands? I'm around 260 lbs, which probably matters a lot.

If it’s brand new seems weird to replace yourself unless you been throwing yourself down on it when sitting
Anyway i am your weight and used this https://a.co/d/hPUMPyh

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If it’s brand new seems weird to replace yourself unless you been throwing yourself down on it when sitting
Anyway i am your weight and used this https://a.co/d/hPUMPyh

Thanks! I'll keep this one in mind.

The chair company is in China and apparently you have to pay to ship the chair back for a warranty replacement, so it isn't worth trying to replace the whole thing.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DizzyBum posted:

Hey, real fuckin' cool, thanks, I'll work on that. In the meantime do you have advice?
google “bariatric office chairs”

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DizzyBum posted:

The chair company is in China and apparently you have to pay to ship the chair back for a warranty replacement, so it isn't worth trying to replace the whole thing.

I wonder if you could grouse at them enough for them to just send you a new piston in exchange for not sending them the chair back, making them gently caress around with it, and/or leaving them a negative review for every single day that you have to spend sitting in a chair that sinks.

Granted, then you're just rolling the dice on if:
A). You simply got a bad piston
B). They got a bad batch of pistons and they haven't consumed them all yet so you just get another one of the same
C). They've never actually been in the same room as a good piston
D). You receive a properly-functioning replacement

Fake edit: lmao

Actual Edit: Oh, I didn't notice that it was this thread/convo that earned him the temporary avatar haha

Edit 2: Oh apparently i can't unattach an image once I've attached it? Oh well, guess it's forever at the bottom of the post instead of inline where I want it now, whatever. Lesson learned about using that feature :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zarin fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 7, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DizzyBum posted:

Will they not just send you a new gas strut?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

I got tricked into being an office-dweller this week, so I’ve just been grabbing whichever cube I like, and I stumbled across this Steelcase:

I kinda like the headrest, and the rest of it seems to work fairly well for me as well. Anyone know which one this is?

This is indeed a Gesture with the headrest. Mine just arrived last week and I love it.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Alarbus posted:

This is indeed a Gesture with the headrest. Mine just arrived last week and I love it.

The gestures we had at work were wonderful, even for my rotund rear end (over 300 when i was at the office). Though my work got me a different chair since I was a rotund bastard, and we had another team member who was in the same spot.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for the added advice. My roommate is gonna get in touch with the company since he has the actual order info and explain it to them. Hopefully they will just ship us a new cylinder. :thumbsup:

TenementFunster posted:

google “bariatric office chairs”

Holy poo poo, nice rap sheet. :fuckoff:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Yeah, you got jabbed at by forums troll royalty. TF’s rap sheet is the longest I’ve ever seen to this date. Maybe if you collated Seraph’s reregs you’d get more. Maybe.

It feels like the good ol’ days again

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I just realized that at work (started 6 months ago, we're back in the office :( ) I have an Aeron chair. It's good, I must admit. More comfortable than my ikea markus from home. Now I gotta find myself one as well.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DizzyBum posted:

Holy poo poo, nice rap sheet. :fuckoff:
gently caress off yourself. regular cylinders are not rated to support 260lbs, which is why yours failed. get a bariatric-rated or "heavy duty" cylinder that can support your weight instead of throwing a temper tantrum.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Volguus posted:

I have an Aeron chair. It's good, I must admit. More comfortable than my ikea markus from home. Now I gotta find myself one as well.
try an embody first. if the aeron works for you then don't mess with it, but the embody is a noticeable improvement. i think HM stores should allow you a trial period.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, that Aeron I got used two years ago was cheap for a reason, I guess. Frame of the seat pan just broke while I was getting up from it. Probably put too much pressure on the front of the pan. Unfortunate, but guess I'm back on the search. The lady I bought it from did have no idea what she was selling besides "it's old" so I can't imagine it was treated very well before me. Did also just move apartments, so maybe it got damaged in the move and I didn't notice, too. Who knows.

At least I kept my lovely Ikea one so I'm not completely chairless.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SkyeAuroline posted:

Well, that Aeron I got used two years ago was cheap for a reason, I guess. Frame of the seat pan just broke while I was getting up from it. Probably put too much pressure on the front of the pan. Unfortunate, but guess I'm back on the search. The lady I bought it from did have no idea what she was selling besides "it's old" so I can't imagine it was treated very well before me. Did also just move apartments, so maybe it got damaged in the move and I didn't notice, too. Who knows.

At least I kept my lovely Ikea one so I'm not completely chairless.
you can probably find a spare seat pan on ebay for cheap. you can disassemble the entire chair basically just with a set of allen keys. my aeron is a total frankenstein, but works great. spare parts are plentiful

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Rawrbomb posted:

gesture (over 300)

Curiosity got me here, the gesture says it supports up to 400lb

TenementFunster posted:

regular cylinders are not rated to support 260lbs

Seems like most "standard" office chairs are between 250-300lbs.

My cheapo Staples Hyken is 275. I pulled up a few random Amazon ones between like $40 and $150, nothing below 250lbs.

I assume the chair in question came with a bad cylinder from the get go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Moey posted:

I pulled up a few random Amazon ones between like $40 and $150, nothing below 250lbs.
the weight ratings on cheapo chairs from overseas are meaningless. all they have to do is last long enough to be outside the amazon return window, because the “warranty” involves return shipping to china