Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TenementFunster posted:

the weight ratings on cheapo chairs from overseas are meaningless. all they have to do is last long enough to be outside the amazon return window, because the “warranty” involves return shipping to china

Ah yeah, good call on that.

https://imgur.com/a/Gcpveyn

Although at the < $150 price point, I wonder how many people would even bother trying to do a manufacturer warranty claim a year down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TenementFunster posted:

the weight ratings on cheapo chairs from overseas are meaningless. all they have to do is last long enough to be outside the amazon return window, because the “warranty” involves return shipping to china

It’s not a chair, but Linus Tech Tips had a video in last few days, they make builds with the cheapest garbage for video content. There was a pair of desktop speakers from a fly by night brand (though sold in many US stores) that had the list of specs on the box, one of which was “2.5in drivers” for the speakers. They just took a ruler to the speaker and it wasn’t even 2”. Sometimes people just lie lol.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently there are computer chair memes as a sub-genre now

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I love my Mirra 2

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

After ~6 months each in a Leap v2, Aeron, Embody, Cosm and Mirra v2 I've decided the Mirra is the best chair for me. I wanted to like the Embody the best, but I could never get it to stop feeling like it was fighting me when trying to maintain good posture.

The Mirra is by far the best for posture and the best lower back / lumber support. I wish I could combine the back of the Mirra with the seat of the Embody.

Leo fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 3, 2024

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

e: double post

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Leo posted:

After ~6 months each in a Leap v2, Aeron, Embody, Cosm and Mirra v2 I've decided the Mirra is the best chair for me. I wanted to like the Embody the best, but I could never get it to stop feeling like it was fighting me when trying to maintain good posture.

The Mirra is by far the best for posture and the best lower back / lumber support. I wish I could combine the back of the Mirra with the seat of the Embody.

Did you try them all at work? Or were you buying and returning them? Seems like a lot of chairs… glad you found the one that works though.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

TenementFunster posted:

The trick is to look for the certification ratings like AFRDI in Australia. Because the ones with those are legit office chairs.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Tornhelm posted:

The trick is to look for the certification ratings like AFRDI in Australia. Because the ones with those are legit office chairs.
lol australia is a fake place

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

God gently caress I hate this struggle.

I'm a real shorty (5'2) and I feel like I've struggled so hard to find a chair that works for me. I've tried a

1) Steelcase Series 1, and that was a massive improvement over the generic office chair I had, when I first started dealing with/trying to solve some ergonomic problems, but now I find that the cushion just isn't supporting me right or something, and I have days/nights where I end up pretty sore on one side of my rear end, as well the arm rests are a bit fiddly, maybe don't adjust low enough, and have aren't the most durable because they've developed "divets" over the years I've had it.

2) Aeron B, which I remember having one working for me at work for awhile, but just doesn't quite seem right for my home setup - I feel like I ended up with less butt pain then the steelcase, but the arm rests feel like they're a bit too wide, and just feel tricky to get to the right height, and I feel like I've ended up with some collarbone pains sometimes after using it.

3) Embody, which I really want to like, but I don't know if I quite like it, and have a narrowing window to return. The arm rests feel really nice and solid, and the flat design seems much nicer then the curved Aeron arm rests, and while locked into height notches, it feels less fiddly to adjust the embody once again. That said, the seat feels weird and almost "uneven" at times, almost like I'm not in it right, and I've been struggling to find a back adjustment setting that feels right, with it occasionally feel like getting particular pressure in my lower back just above my butt, or just generally feel like im making too much "contact" in that area?

I put down 2100$ (Canadian) before finding out there was an option for a lower cylinder (allows for 1 inch of lower adjustment) and I'm looking at another 350$ to swap for a lower adjust version, but I feel like if I want to stick with the chair, that'd be a smart thing to shell out for because my feet aren't as flat as they should be and I think that might be contributing to some comfort issues, and I want to rely on a foot rest as little as possible.

The big risk is if I go for a swap with the lower adjustment, the dealer I bought through can't offer a trial/return like they did for the standard one, and I'll be potentially "locked in" with a 2400$ chair I'm not happy with. I could return the embody and see about getting a lower adjust one through HM where I might be able to take advantage of a 30 day return period but 1) the lower adjust doesn't appear to be directly offered on their store page, and I think you need to contact their support to get it, and I don't know if that may still come with a "special order no return" qualification and 2) when I ordered through my dealer I got 20% off, so rebuying through HM with the lower adjust would probably be a significant jump in price unless I want to wait however long until they do a sale of similar caliber.

But so many people suggest the embody takes getting used to, and so many seem really happy with it, including some comments from people of my height saying they were happy with theirs / preferred it over the Aeron.

There's certainly other chairs I could try, but it's a bit of a frustrating process since just sitting in a chair in a show room has not felt like a good gauge of if it's going to work for my actual setup or not.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you lift your feet up temporarily with a box or something you should be able to find out whether the lower chair height would make the Embody work for you within the return window you have left.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Agreed with the poster above me.

With the Embody: did you confirm that the seat pan was adjusted to your preference?

Were you using the tilt-lock on the Embody, or did you fiddle with the back tensioner to dial it in for your needs, no tilt lock required?

For the Aeron: I'm thinking the Aeron A would have been the model best suited for your needs, based on your review of the B. However, I didn't look up the specs on Aeron sizing so this is just a guesstimate.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Oxyclean posted:

God gently caress I hate this struggle.

I'm a real shorty (5'2) and I feel like I've struggled so hard to find a chair that works for me. I've tried a

1) Steelcase Series 1, and that was a massive improvement over the generic office chair I had, when I first started dealing with/trying to solve some ergonomic problems, but now I find that the cushion just isn't supporting me right or something, and I have days/nights where I end up pretty sore on one side of my rear end, as well the arm rests are a bit fiddly, maybe don't adjust low enough, and have aren't the most durable because they've developed "divets" over the years I've had it.

2) Aeron B, which I remember having one working for me at work for awhile, but just doesn't quite seem right for my home setup - I feel like I ended up with less butt pain then the steelcase, but the arm rests feel like they're a bit too wide, and just feel tricky to get to the right height, and I feel like I've ended up with some collarbone pains sometimes after using it.

3) Embody, which I really want to like, but I don't know if I quite like it, and have a narrowing window to return. The arm rests feel really nice and solid, and the flat design seems much nicer then the curved Aeron arm rests, and while locked into height notches, it feels less fiddly to adjust the embody once again. That said, the seat feels weird and almost "uneven" at times, almost like I'm not in it right, and I've been struggling to find a back adjustment setting that feels right, with it occasionally feel like getting particular pressure in my lower back just above my butt, or just generally feel like im making too much "contact" in that area?

I put down 2100$ (Canadian) before finding out there was an option for a lower cylinder (allows for 1 inch of lower adjustment) and I'm looking at another 350$ to swap for a lower adjust version, but I feel like if I want to stick with the chair, that'd be a smart thing to shell out for because my feet aren't as flat as they should be and I think that might be contributing to some comfort issues, and I want to rely on a foot rest as little as possible.

The big risk is if I go for a swap with the lower adjustment, the dealer I bought through can't offer a trial/return like they did for the standard one, and I'll be potentially "locked in" with a 2400$ chair I'm not happy with. I could return the embody and see about getting a lower adjust one through HM where I might be able to take advantage of a 30 day return period but 1) the lower adjust doesn't appear to be directly offered on their store page, and I think you need to contact their support to get it, and I don't know if that may still come with a "special order no return" qualification and 2) when I ordered through my dealer I got 20% off, so rebuying through HM with the lower adjust would probably be a significant jump in price unless I want to wait however long until they do a sale of similar caliber.

But so many people suggest the embody takes getting used to, and so many seem really happy with it, including some comments from people of my height saying they were happy with theirs / preferred it over the Aeron.

There's certainly other chairs I could try, but it's a bit of a frustrating process since just sitting in a chair in a show room has not felt like a good gauge of if it's going to work for my actual setup or not.
can you just get shorter casters? would be way easier

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zarin posted:

Agreed with the poster above me.

With the Embody: did you confirm that the seat pan was adjusted to your preference?

Were you using the tilt-lock on the Embody, or did you fiddle with the back tensioner to dial it in for your needs, no tilt lock required?

For the Aeron: I'm thinking the Aeron A would have been the model best suited for your needs, based on your review of the B. However, I didn't look up the specs on Aeron sizing so this is just a guesstimate.

I've given a footrest a shot but it feels tricky - it's more then an inch tall so depending how I place my feet on it, it feels like it might be bringing my legs up too much, and causing more of my weight to be placed into the chair, maybe?

the seat pan is currently as shallow as it can go - I don't think I can push it out too much without increasing contact with the back of my leg - depending how I place my feet, I get 2-3 fingers of space, which from what I understand is about right?

I haven't fussed with the tilt tension/lock too much - there's both tilt tension (how easy it is to recline) and the backfit thing that makes the chair back more vertical / fit your back differently that I've been unsure if i have dialed in right? I've got the tilt tensions so it's fairly firm with the lock off - the suggestion I saw was tight enough that you don't need a ton of effort to lean back, but also not so little that you aren't going back unintentionally?

and yeah, I've seen some suggest an Aeron A for my height, by HM's chart I think I fit in the "A or B" range, so I find myself unsure how much I want to try to chase down an A should it only be a marginal improvement?

TenementFunster posted:

can you just get shorter casters? would be way easier
Something like that is an option? It doesnt seem like the default casters for the embody are particularly big - maybe like 2in tall? Am I really going to be able to shave off an inch or more from the casters in a way that wont be problematic?

I am unfortunately in a position where I either gotta return the chair in the next few days or decide to keep it. I'm honestly leaning heavily towards just returning it since it's a lot of money to be out should I find myself just unable to find the sweet spot with it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Low profile/stationary casters (aka bell glides) are on amazon.ca, your chair won't roll anymore but it will be lower. Not sure if there are lower ones with wheels though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you get smaller casters then the gas strut will hit the floor

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man, I hate this. I'm looking for alternates to the embody to try, but it feels like either chairs seem like they might not have a low enough adjust, (on average, chairs seem to bottom out at 16in) or the arm rests don't go low enough. Like the Steelcase Series 1 that I've been using has an arm-to-seat of 6.5in and that almost feels like it might be a touch too high, but the Leap, which has a lower seat adjustment then the Series 1, has a larger arm-to-seat of 7in. Why do I feel like I got mutant freak proportions or something?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Thanks Ants posted:

If you get smaller casters then the gas strut will hit the floor
lol oh right, of course

try sitting on a phone book, op. good luck finding a phone book.

but for realsies the only tricky part of the embody, aside from coming up with ~$1500 for a desk chair, is getting it dialed in. does your local HM dealer not do ergonomic fittings? they’d be stupid not to, considering what a big role it plays in making the sale on a ~$1500 desk chair

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 15, 2024

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's so silly but like.....would some high bottom shoes help? A 1-inch high mat on your floor? If you were 4'6" or something you'd be out of luck but one inch feels very fixable. I certainly wouldn't blame you for returning the thing, it's too expensive to keep if you don't like how you feel sitting on it, but I do feel like there has to be some sort of workaround.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's so silly but like.....would some high bottom shoes help? A 1-inch high mat on your floor? If you were 4'6" or something you'd be out of luck but one inch feels very fixable. I certainly wouldn't blame you for returning the thing, it's too expensive to keep if you don't like how you feel sitting on it, but I do feel like there has to be some sort of workaround.

Like, I'm not certain the 1 inch difference is the sole issue - I'm just speculating on what could be causing some of my issues, namely some problems with the seat, since I've seen a few comments mention that you gotta get the chair low, maybe lower then you'd expect/lower then other chairs, but I also don't know if their discomforts were the same as mine.

and maybe it very much was a situation where I needed to ride it out a bit more, but very much was of the mind if I was going to go 2100$ Canadian deep on a chair, I might as well be springing a bit more for one that adjusts lower, but with no ability to return/bail on it, it was just too risky.

Humorously, the dealer that sold it to me even suggested maybe just doing what I had in mind - see about ordering the lower adjust version from HM directly since I should be able to properly trial and return it to them if it still doesn't work out.

TenementFunster posted:

but for realsies the only tricky part of the embody, aside from coming up with ~$1500 for a desk chair, is getting it dialed in. does your local HM dealer not do ergonomic fittings? they’d be stupid not to, considering what a big role it plays in making the sale on a ~$1500 desk chair

Sadly they didn't seem to, but yeah, you really think they'd want something like that, but from chatting with the guy he seemed a little miffed with HM since they gave him a pain with just trying to get a price on a lower adjust version for me. I think, like most other companies these days HM is hoping to drive direct sales.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's so silly but like.....would some high bottom shoes help?
genius, sir

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

My job just gave me permission to buy a new desk chair with the caveat that it has to be something Office Depot sells. So no Steelcase or Herman Miller. Any other brands I should be looking at?

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

corgski posted:

My job just gave me permission to buy a new desk chair with the caveat that it has to be something Office Depot sells. So no Steelcase or Herman Miller. Any other brands I should be looking at?

Wtf, convince them to pay for a used Herman miller if it’s the price they’re worried about. Doesn’t have to be from a person if you need the receipt as there’re companies selling used/refurbished chairs as well.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

It's a matter of approved vendors, and I am not fighting that bureaucratic fight. It's their money if they would rather replace a chair every three years than buy one that lasts 20.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

corgski posted:

We have some knock-off Aerons at work made by Eurotech called the Ergohuman, https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/365269/Raynor-Ergohuman-High-Back-Ergonomic-Mesh/. They seem fine, though I rescued a perfectly fine Steelcase Leap that was being thrown out and use it instead.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

corgski posted:

It's a matter of approved vendors, and I am not fighting that bureaucratic fight. It's their money if they would rather replace a chair every three years than buy one that lasts 20.

It seems like their high end chairs are the Serta ones. I'd get one of those in this case. They are bonded leather so they may start flaking apart in 2 years but it's their money, I guess.

edit: ^I'd actually go for the one Branch Nvidian linked if you can sit on it in a store nearby and it feels okay.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

corgski posted:

LinkedIn

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

corgski posted:

You could try the Humanscale Freedom but it's very likely you won't like it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 17, 2024

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
If they're reimbursing you, I'd get their most expensive chair, return it, and get a Herman Miller/Steelcase...

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

lmao

My current company told me my budget was $150. I told them they could keep their money and just brought one of my own chairs in.

Small company though, so it do be like that sometimes.

runawayturtles posted:

If they're reimbursing you, I'd get their most expensive chair, return it, and get a Herman Miller/Steelcase...

This idea is amazing.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable tale of hijinks that ensued trying to box the chair back up and sneak it past security and out to their car. I'm assuming that a loading dock would be involved.

And then haranguing with the cashier about how you "got the chair as a gift" and don't have a receipt.

Oh! And then having to steal a conference room chair for a few days because the shipping on the HM was delayed :v:

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Zarin posted:

This idea is amazing.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable tale of hijinks that ensued trying to box the chair back up and sneak it past security and out to their car. I'm assuming that a loading dock would be involved.

And then haranguing with the cashier about how you "got the chair as a gift" and don't have a receipt.

Oh! And then having to steal a conference room chair for a few days because the shipping on the HM was delayed :v:

Hah, I interpreted "permission to buy" as OP buying, having the receipt, and getting reimbursed, potentially even for working from home.

This is exactly what I did a couple years ago, so my company effectively paid for half of a refurb Leap.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Zarin posted:

This idea is amazing.

The building I work in on campus has no on site security and I have an alarm code. What could go wrong? :pseudo:

I mean besides trying to fit an office chair into a Fiat.

Counterpoint: I'm unionized here

corgski fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 19, 2024

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

corgski posted:

Counterpoint: I'm unionized here
so find a passage from State and Revolution that says you deserve an Embody

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

so find a passage from State and Revolution that says you deserve an Embody

Ew you want me to read theory? What do you think this is, education?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

corgski posted:

Ew you want me to read theory? What do you think this is, education?

Proposition: what if Theory, but slow-dripped through a bunch of flavor text and obscure Berserk references ala a Miyazaki work?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Looking to get a good chair. Taking the advice and looking for a used Herman Miller chair. I'm 6'6" and about 250 (not fat, just v big). Any giants here have experience with these chairs?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm 192cm and the Mirra 2 is comfortable for me

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
After having the Embody for nearly a year I can say it's worth the price used or new (when they have a sale going)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm 73-74" tall, 300-ish lbs (fat AND big) and the Embody is perfect for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Cocaine Bear posted:

Looking to get a good chair. Taking the advice and looking for a used Herman Miller chair. I'm 6'6" and about 250 (not fat, just v big). Any giants here have experience with these chairs?

Tall boy high five. I am exactly your build. The Embody works for our size. I have one at home for work but I recently received a Steelcase Gesture at the office as a compromise of going in once a week and that chair works fine but the styling is pretty boring.