Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Knifegrab posted:

So lets be real now, so many of these chairs are so ridiculously expensive. Am I really going to feel a huge difference if I spent $1000+ dollars over a hundred bucks?

I did get a chance to sit in a bunch of chairs and I have to say the Maxnomics chairs were the most comfortable of the expensive chairs and the least expensive.

I would say that there's a bare minimum you want to spend for quality construction (maybe $400-500 new), after which most of your cost comes in the form of features and materials. Depending on your needs, the cheaper chair may be entirely sufficient.

That said, if you're not used to sitting in a good chair there is a degree of learning curve as you adjust, and it can take some time to learn what the ideal configuration is. It would really suck to put down a chunk of money only to later realize that you want to tweak the lumbar support or something a bit but your chair doesn't include that adjustment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
For $200, you don't really have a lot of options besides getting a used chair from a good brand. Starting around $400-500 you can get the basic task chairs new from Herman Miller, Steelcase, etc.; typically if you're paying less than that it's going to come at a cost of either durability or ergonomics. If it's a hard budget and used chairs aren't an option in your area, I'd probably go with the Ikea Markus - it's not really on the same level as the name brand stuff for ergonomics, but it does have a ten year warranty.

The chair you linked looks sketchy to me - seems like a bog standard generic office chair that will wear out after a year of use. Customer reviews seem to fit that perception, and the warranty looks like it might as well be nonexistent. I'd avoid it.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Hey, like I said, there are probably reasons, but my own two cents is that so far its been great, and anecdotally from the people I know who have had one for years its still doing great too.

fwiw Linus's review video here is what made me bite the bullet and I agree with all his points.

My opinion is that the Maxonomic isn't a bad chair per se, but it lacks the 10+ year warranty and the pricing is getting very close to that of an ergonomic task chair that does include that warranty. Unless you really want a chair that allows you to recline and sleep in it, you could get a better chair for the same money.

Linus is satisfied with the Maxonomic, however he admitted right at the beginning of the video that his personal experience was with a generic Costco chair and an Ikea chair. With that as my baseline, I'd be happy with the Maxonomic as well, but that doesn't mean I couldn't do better.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah but some people just simply aren't willing to spend the 500+ needed for most of the chairs recommended here. So this is probably a decent compromise. If you want the best you gotta spend the most, but sometimes people can't justify that cost, even if long term its cheaper.

Thing is, we're not talking about doubling the price or anything absurd like that. You're spending ~$400 on the Maxonomic, and a basic task chair is ~$500. For an extra hundred bucks you go from a 1 year warranty to a 10 year warranty which is huge. That is well worth an extra month or two of saving up, and if you still can't justify that, just buy the Markus and save $200 instead. I just don't see the Maxonomic as a compromise at its price point, particularly with its short warranty. If it was $300 with a five year warranty then sure, maybe it's a good compromise, but that Markus is still arguably the better value proposition until you break $500. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
After using a Leap v2 for a while I actually don't like the horizontal adjustments you can make for the armrests. Vertical adjustment is almost mandatory, but I found the horizontal adjustment would slowly drift over time and then I'd have to reset it. Might be an implementation-specific problem though.

isndl
May 2, 2012

caberham posted:

where can I find a quality keyboard/mouse pad adjustable height rack?

Could you clarify this? I'm not sure what exactly you're asking for. Are you referring to one of those slide-out trays that fit on the underside of your desk?

There used to be a desk thread but I believe it died due to inactivity. You can try asking in the Post your (actual) desktop thread instead, since that seems to be where all the desk discussion is now. Most people seem to be running either a custom-built table or an Ikea.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I like having the armrests just under the height of the desk so I can slide the chair under the desk, but I also prefer having about a foot of space between my keyboard and the edge of the desk where I can place notes, etc. and it doubles as the perfect height to rest my arms at the same time. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I'd describe the arms on the Leap as rubberized but yeah, they aren't hard plastic. Zero complaints about the hardness from when I used a Leap v2, though I wasn't a fan of the multiple adjustment options on them - I would've been happy with just the height adjustments.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Any opinions on the IKEA Malkolm? At a glance it seems like a smaller/cheaper Markus, but maybe there's something I'm missing.

isndl
May 2, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The 10 year warranty the Markus has for one thing.

Well, obviously. I can't seem to actually find the warranty listed anywhere for some reason, but if it's a five year you can just buy a new chair given that it's half the price. If it's two year which is Ikea's minimum as far as I know, it's probably still better than most office supply store options at that price range.

There's also the Volmar, which looks like a slightly more customizable Markus. Narrower seat, headrest sold separately, armrests sold separately and are adjustable height, and still has the ten year warranty of the Markus.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Etrips posted:

Anyone happen to know which chair is the most comfortable for lounging around / vidya gaming?

"Most comfortable" is a pretty subjective term. You're best off going into a store and trying different chairs out, much like choosing a good mouse. Just note that if you currently have bad posture, it does take a little bit of adjustment to a chair that encourages good posture.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The Markus' main strong points are that it's relatively cheap and has a ten year warranty. It's not the most ergonomic of chairs out there, but it's good enough and available worldwide. It does suffer from a lack of customization options, so you should definitely go to Ikea and sit in it before making your decision.

The DX Racer seems like it might be OK at that price, since they offer a lifetime warranty on the frame (but not the rest of the chair, check to see if the padding will hold up over time). The Maxonomic is more expensive and only has a flat 2 year warranty, so I'd pass on that. I don't know how good the ergonomics on either chair is, but at least I don't recall them ever being described as outright bad.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The material is mostly personal preference. Some people like the look of black leather and it ages differently than fabric, but it's also a little more sensitive to poor treatment/maintenance.

isndl
May 2, 2012

DrDork posted:

The warranty bit is virtually worthless--all of the warranties only cover the frame and "moving parts" (the gas tube, etc), which quite frankly are not going to be what fail from normal use and cause you to replace a chair. I don't know if Ikea uses better materials, but the $200-$250 chairs I've gotten from Office Max/Depot/Staples/whatever in the past have never had the padding last more than a few years, after which I could start to feel the bolts and whatnot when I sat in certain ways. Both the Dominator and the F use much nicer materials and last considerably longer on that front.

The frame and moving parts are the most important parts to warranty, really. It sucks if the padding starts to go, but at worst you can buy a small cushion to sit on. If say the tilt breaks or something, you're pretty much screwed and have to buy a new chair. A long warranty isn't just insurance in the event of that happening, it's also the manufacturer standing by the quality of their product because they're losing money every time they have to replace a chair.

The Markus does seem to use adequate materials for the fabric/cushioning, as there haven't been any complaints about those that I've seen and it's been recommended as the budget option in this thread for a while now.

isndl
May 2, 2012

DrDork posted:

While I agree with you in theory, I've just never seen any halfway decent chair actually fail on one of those parts without having been subject to some sort of excessive abuse. Unlike the soft parts and fabric, which 9 times out of 10 (outside physically breaking the chair from abuse) is why people replace chairs. It's also really easy to offer a long warranty on a part that very rarely breaks, and when it does you require the original receipt in order to service it. Not precisely a big risk factor there.

I don't know, maybe my sample size is simply small and there are groups of people out there regularly having the gas tube on $200+ chairs blow out on them under normal use. If so, I guess I've just not met them yet.

There's been cases popping up in this thread every now and then, last one I think being a Steelcase where the gas tube was sinking too low to the ground? It's rare but it happens, and that $200 chair with the longer warranty will have saved a significant chunk of cash over that shorter warranty $400 chair you now have to replace. The big name brands (Steelcase, Herman Miller, etc.) often won't even ask for the proof of purchase.

isndl
May 2, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I've been reading the thread a while, but I am looking for something kind of modern that I have seen in some dramas. I was hoping to find a two-tone, high back computer chair that doesn't necessarily have to be posture forcing. Price doesn't matter. When you google "high back executive chair" or compute chair you get something approximating the low-end version of such a chair, but it seems like something a redneck would have in their basement with a Dale Earnhardt sticker slapped on rather than a modern, sleep, high-rise office furniture.

Etrips posted:

Just get a Embody and be done with it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Leather cover is personal preference. A chair is perfectly fine with fabric instead of leather, so go without unless you really want it for some reason.

Like most chairs, the Markus has adjustments to control how much weight it takes to lean back, tilt locking, and seat height, but that's about it for customizing the seat. Fancier chairs will have more stuff (armrest height and position, lumbar support position, seat depth, etc.) but those extras will inflate the price significantly.

Don't worry about leaning back on mesh, a lot of the high end chairs use a mesh of some sort to improve breathability.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The chairs at Costco have always been generic executive chairs whenever I looked. The display models invariably show themselves as not being able to withstand any level of abuse.

I would say the Markus is a better option if you need a new chair on a budget and can't get or don't want used.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The only chair I can think of with adjustable arms on a sub $200 budget would be the Ikea Volmar. I don't know if that exactly covers your needs, either. You may have to go trawling for used Criterions or whatever.

e: Actually, a Volmar with armrests is about $209. You're likely going to need to stretch your budget or get really lucky on a used chair in your area.

isndl fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 3, 2015

isndl
May 2, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

If you constantly rest your head all day, you'll weaken your neck muscles.

I don't use the headrest while sitting upright, but it's nice having it around for the times when I'm leaning back while contemplating a tricky problem. They aren't necessarily a bad thing.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Kylaer posted:

I bought a Leap because it seems to have a high degree of approval in this thread, but I'm disappointed with it. The cushioning on the seat and the back isn't soft at all and I think sitting in it for any significant amount of time will be uncomfortable. I do like the pivot action of the back, since I always recline while sitting, but I'm going to return it. It also arrived with a broken caster, but that's unrelated to the fact that it isn't actually comfortable.

Depending on what you were using previously, it can take some time to adjust to a chair that has proper ergonomics. Cushioning is comfy but it's not going to give you the support you want to have in the long run.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Kylaer posted:

I've sat in it for probably a half hour or so, long enough to get uncomfortable. I like to sit reclining as far back as I can.

Well, nobody is going to stop you from going back to whatever you were using before, but half an hour in the chair is not much. For what it's worth, I was reclined pretty much all the time when I used the Leap and had no problems. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
The Ikea Volmar would run approx. $250 new, and it's definitely much more compact than the standard budget choice of the Markus. Otherwise you're squarely in the middle of used chair territory, yeah.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Etrips posted:

Don't have lovely posture which is kind of the point of getting a good chair?

Some of us don't lock the seat back to the upright position and actually recline from time to time? :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
Markus arms are non-adjustable and so it would depend on your preferred chair height. You could elect to not attach them, since it's Ikea and you're going to be assembling the chair yourself.

When I was using a Markus my setup allowed me to slide the chair under the desk with the arms attached, but it's going to come down to your individual preferences in the end. I know it's common for people to deliberately adjust the armrests to be level with their desktop.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tedronai66 posted:

The leap gave me sciatic nerve damage, and helped aide in the herniation of two discs, requiring surgery. I can tell you sitting in an Aeron (when sitting at sit/stand desk) is like a loving dream compared to those lovely chairs.

The Aeron and some bodybuilt something or other have been there only two chairs I can comfortably sit in for a few hours at a time without noticeable pain. And I tend to notice it pretty fast.

That doesn't mean the Aeron is for everyone, or the leap is for no one, I get that. That's why getting an ergonomic evaluation and testing out various models is key. I'm about to raise hell with my workplace to either let me bring a spare Aeron from home (yay Craigslist), or buy me one, because both of their "ergo" options leave me in pain (leap and teknion project)

What'd you use before the Leap? I'm somewhat curious if this is a case of having originally adapted your posture with negative results upon switching to the Leap, or maybe some kind of sports history contributing?

isndl
May 2, 2012

TopherCStone posted:

So we don't seem to have a desk thread.

Over here.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I may be biased against the Aeron but I'd say no because it's such an old design. The Markus is cheaper and good enough and has none of the worries of buying used. :shrug:

If you don't have an Ikea near you though I guess that would be a compelling reason.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Or I'll just be happy with my ergonomic chair (Leap) and race car (Miata.) :shrug:

I'm holding out for the racecars with Embody seating. :downs:

isndl
May 2, 2012
Streaming is also one of the few use cases where you'd want a chair that emphasizes appearance as well. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

are you implying that having a tiny pleather throw pillow strapped to the headrest of your race car chair isn't the pinnacle of modern design?

At least it's not anime pillows on anime chairs, small mercies.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I don't care for Aerons myself, as they're a decades old design and you should be able to do better for the same money these days. Most of their popularity seems to stem from inertia than objective advantages over current designs. The usual baseline recommendation is the Ikea Markus for ~$200, so I would hesitate before jumping on a ten year old worn chair that costs more and is out of warranty.

That being said, your chair is a personal thing and different people have different needs. Maybe you have a large build and the Aeron is the best option available in your budget, or certain chairs exacerbate a health condition. At the end of the day you are the one that needs to be satisfied with your purchase, not us.

isndl
May 2, 2012
How old is that Markus? They do have a ten year warranty after all.

Some quick googling got me zero info on the HON warranty, which is kind of troubling. Even if you don't plan on using a warranty to make a repair claim it's a good way to get an idea on how long a product is likely to last. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The Embody has a couple other neat tricks like adjustable seat depth, though it's been a while and I can't list all the features off the top of my head. If you were in a store the Aeron you saw was probably the recent redesign version and I'm not exactly sure what changes they made there.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Gunder posted:

Just received my new Steelcase Gesture, and have a question about the back tension setting: Is there a guide for how to adjust this thing? I have it cranked up to max tension at the moment, and was wondering if there's a general rule as to what setting you should use and why? My previous chairs never had a setting like this.

Mostly a matter of personal taste as far as I know. Loose enough that you can lean back without exerting force, tight enough that you still have support while sitting up? Some people don't even bother and just lock the seat back upright.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The standard recommendation for a $200 budget is the Ikea Markus. If that doesn't work then you're basically on your own, it's hard to get quality at that price bracket. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
There's at least one goon who claims the Leap made his back problems worse so look for a showroom and try it out first if you can. The human body is weird.

isndl
May 2, 2012
As a general rule of thumb, check the warranty. All the usual recommendations (Ikea Markus, the Steelcase and Herman Millers, etc.) come with warranties of at least 10 years. Less than that and even the manufacturer doesn't expect it to survive very long.

There's like a dozen companies selling palette swaps of those racing chairs, presumably all from the same factory. I think some sellers might have halfway decent warranties, the dudes in your review video has a two-year warranty "which is the most important reason why our customers ordering Ewinracing chairs" [sic]. Ergonomics are debatable. Unless you can swing one stupid cheap I'd probably stick with a Markus for less money.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

When I was peeking on Craigslist, I saw plenty of people selling (claimed) genuine lightly used Aerons for around $400... is that a good deal?

If it's the new design, maybe? If it's the old design, no.

The Aeron brand is so old that saying there's a deal for an Aeron could mean anything. There's also a ton of old Aerons that've been fiddled with over the years and are out of warranty, and they were never really designed to be ergonomic in the first place. Overall I'd just stay away from them and stick to newer lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
Leather looks nice and feels nice when you run your hand over it, but your rear end isn't going to notice a difference with pants on. The price premium for leather and the extra maintenance required (unless you don't care how terrible it looks a few years later when it starts cracking) makes it an poor investment in my opinion.