Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Sometimes the Goodwill near me ends up with things that shouldn't be there.

90s designer cream colored awesomeness for 13 bux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

My desk is an unpaneled interior door laid across two saw horses
I was close to just using a door but found a solid desk top at a Restore the other day for 30 bux.

I put it on a Eames designed conference table base and am very happy with it.

The Desk is pretty much going to be filled with a mixing board as soon as we get the adat cards up and running.

Also picked up the used 3d Sony Bravia for cheap the other day, because a 27 inch monitor wasn't going to cut it for pro tools.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

tehinternet posted:

Why don’t you just position the mat so your feet are on carpet under your desk and the chair stays on the mat?

Side note:

I was looking at other Herman Miller stuff and holy what in the loving gently caress are they charging $9k for a loving lounge chair for

Does the Eames… *do* anything?

I get an Aeron or Embody because ergonomics matter but goddamn. A lounge chair? $9k? The gently caress

They break alot because the design wasn't meant for modern fat American asses.

I have to fix them every once in a while and I can never guarantee a repair, because of how it's designed.

I'm happy with the 70s plycraft version I have that I've modified and restored over the years. It's currently broken because of its weak design flaw but I have it on a knock off new base and covered Buffalo leather.

I'll post some pictures when I get it back together.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

I almost pulled the trigger on it too before realizing all the reviews were fake and uses stock or catalog photos lol

The only knock off I'd buy is the aircraft one and it looks like it's not being made anymore.

This is the most recent Eames I had to repair.

Someone had already used some drywall screws on it.

They usually break on the shock mounts, or they sheer off on the dog ear part.

I replaced all the mounts on it and it turned out as good as I can hope for, but I hate that I can't guarantee the repair even using HMs parts because the mounts are literally just epoxied on at angles that cause the plywood to sheer off sometimes.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

tehinternet posted:

$9k and it’s… glued together? Jesus gently caress

It's more of a problem with the vintage ones, because the neoprene shock mount just gets hard or the glue goes bad. The new ones have newer versions of the mount and a different epoxy that I'm pretty sure is a variation of a 3M adhesive or something they came up with in house.

But yeah it's got 4 places on every chair that can be a point of failure. It's technically the only flaw in the design. Can't really blame Charles for not knowing Americans were just going to become overweight tubs of lard 60 years later.

Here's one of the recommended glues that I found while doing research if anyone needs it to fix anything crazy.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

codo27 posted:

Is it Eems or Ames? I've only ever seen such posh furniture on Frasier

Eames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKVVJSUvYcs

I like the white on white custom one used in Tron Legacy.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

hell yeah sick work dude. how old is that chair? i need to get the basepad of mine resurfaced after a few years of kitten fights.

i've got bad news about how virtually everything has been assembled since the 1950s.

I think it was a 80s model, might be a Rosewood one, but I can't remember when they switched to a more sustainable look alike.

Most the epoxy I use when fixing stuff has a sheer test of 1100 pounds. So when I fix things, if it ever breaks again it's not at the place I repaired it. It might be next to where I glued it if it does, but that's usually because it's a design flaw and it will fail in the same area.

I still need to find different office chair for my home office. I've beem setting up a home studio mixing area for work at home stuff.

I'll just have to deal with my B Aeron and that weird Vitra Figura chair until I find something better. I subcontract for the HM dealer and know the mid century modern dealers in town, so I'll come across something.

I might just have to make some custom memory foam cushion for the knock off Eames aluminum group conference chair I'm using. I like how it sits and it's super solid, but it's horrible for sitting 8 hours straight of computer/mixing work.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

Found a Steelcase leap v2 in a garbage bin, in my buddies alley today. Ordered a new cylinder because that looks like all it needs other then a vacuum and some cleaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

Gas cylinders are usually about a 35 dollar part.
Took me 2 days to get the bad one out of my steelcase v2 though.

At least there are parts for days for aeron and leaps at this point. The Seat pan just slides right out of the leap v2.