Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Bandersnatch

Since we don't need to worry about skid rolls, I'm thinking moving to 1246 and facing 1147 is the best move. That gives me a chance to react to whichever route the patrols take (to either take cover or move up and supply fire). Also, since I'm not seeing it called out in the quickstart rules, how does heat accumulate during movement? 1 for walk, 2 for run, or some other formulation? Obviously not super critical THIS turn, but could have implications later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Jade Star posted:

Centurion

Right, well it's a good point there is a turn or two to wait until an ambush can be sprung and we don't know which way the scouts are patrolling. Given that and the bandersnatch taking the road at 1246 I think I will move to 0946 and face southwest (facing 0846). I'll be ready to pounce on the ambush spot of 0647 even if the yellow scout goes clockwise and gets there in two instead of three turns. ECM is 6 hex so bander will still be covered as well.

Don't worry too much about putting me in ECM, I'm rocking a suite of it as well

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH
Well, folks are being a little more aggressive than I thought, so I'll amend it some and move to 1147 facing 1047. That readies me for a slightly closer push no matter who we're jumping first. Also, is there a googledoc set up, or are we just coordinating in-thread? I'd hate to be loving up everyone's carefully laid plans

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

When I turn in a hex, is it 1mp per facing turned, or can I piroutte like a ballerina for just 1mp?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH
This is going to sound perhaps insane, but I'm think of reversing to 1346, turning 1 facing, and reversing into 1446. That gets me there in walk speed, has me facing the way I want to face to spring the ambush next (?) turn, and keeps me in range of it. However, I can't help but get the feeling I'm opening myself up to a comedy of errors in regards to movement/falling rules

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

CourValant posted:

You're executing a standard reverse movement, there are no rolls required; you just do it.

Oh good. I saw something in the primer about reversing has to go straight back and had some concerns that meant no turninh

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Ok, so ambush happens next turn, ya? As in, if I move now and declare weapons on target, there won't actually BE a target there until after the firing phase? Don't wanna miss a chance to unleash the fury.

Question for PTN: what is the firing order for players? Wanna make sure I make Good Life Choices in regards to ammo selection

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

mercenarynuker posted:

Question for PTN: what is the firing order for players? Wanna make sure I make Good Life Choices in regards to ammo selection

Re-posting for posterity. Also, not doing anything this turn, ready to unleash the thunder next turn tho

edit: order submitted, not like me not submitting them would change anything, though!

mercenarynuker fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 26, 2017

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

For movement, I'm thinking 1246, although 1346 works fine for me if someone needs 1246 for ~reasons~

For gratuitous ultra-violence, thinking conditional of:
Postpone firing/initiative(?) until after Centurion AND both Roughnecks
If Falcon 'Mech in 1047 is not destroyed;
Then: Fire 4 Medium Lasers first; Then: Fire 2 LBX Autocannons loaded with Cluster Rounds
Else If Falcon 'Mech in 1047 IS destroyed;
Hold fire

I feel like I should mention that I love shotguns in FPS games, so I pretty much plan on using cluster rounds liberally assuming we can get decent holes punched in armor for crit-seeking. I figure I have the ammo for an overkill here, especially if this thing isn't dead after Centurion + 2x Roughnecks roughing it's neck. I can't conditional away a "stop firing" order, correct? I declare what I'm shooting and if it dies halfway through, tough poo poo, yeah? This order has a fair amount of heat associated with it (18 heat, if I'm calculating correctly? Unless turning counts as a move for heat calculation purposes, then it would be 19, I guess), but I think I sink 20/turn, so whatevs

As an aside, I'm seeing a decent amount of Anti-Missile systems on these guys. How does that affect my LRMs? They're a minor reason I'm not firing those this turn (the other reason being that I think we're about to murder the everloving poo poo out of this Falcon)

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

I think you're the only player that could engage the Kit Fox this turn without alerting further enemies, and you'd need something like both lasers and a kick all connecting on the same leg to kill it for sure. (Barring lucky ammo/engine/gyro crits).

BANDERSNATCH

If I move to 1146/7 (on mobile, can't check map, mean the hex directly in front of Falcon), would I have LOS to add LRM support against the Kit Fox? I realize it would be a near alpha strike and heat would skyrocket, but if ultra-violence is the order of the day, then by god, I will apply all the violence I can. Also, should I bother kicking the Falcon if I do that? I mean, it'd be RIGHT THERE

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Orders sent, posted here for posterity:

Delay shooting until after the Centurion and Roughnecks fire, if that means I have to delay movement as well, that's fine. Not sure how the turn's order of operations plays out.

MOVEMENT:
Walk to Hex 1346 (1mp)
Turn 1 hex facing towards Hex 1246 (1mp)
Walk to Hex 1147 (2mp)
Contingency: In the event another player occupies Hex 1147 before I do, than stop short in Hex 1246

SHOOTING:
Contingency #1: If the Falcon is alive when my turn to fire comes around;
Fire all four Medium Lasers at the Falcon in Hex 1047
Fire both LBX guns loaded with Slug ammo at the Falcon in Hex 1047
Contingency #1A: If the Falcon is alive during physical combat phase AND I am in Hex 1147;
Kick the Falcon in Hex 1047
Contingency #2: If the Kit Fox in 0941 is within LOS;
Fire all three LRM systems at the Kit Fox in Hex 0941

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Just a heads up that the Kit Fox already moved, since it's not an ace you don't need to worry about it coming in to los during your shooting phase. (Not like there's anything wrong with having contingencies, that's just one contingency that isn't happening this time :) )

Yeah, I know you said it most likely wasn't in LOS, but what are the rules for determining that? That alley looks like a decently clear shot to me (ignoring all my meatbuddies populating it). I figured any early damage I might possibly be able to get on it is worthwhile, regardless

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Thinking about moving forward one space to Hex 1047 and spinning around to unload at the Parash.with MLs and LBXs. Don't see much point in using LRMs on it except to waste ammo. I think I have something like 16 turns worth of LRM ammo, though. That said, unless someone can convince me that I should yes absodeffolutely fire LRMs, I'll probably hold off.

Comedy option: spin around, charge past it, shoot it in the back with my rear facing small laser

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

So since moving only futzes my to-hits and doesn't benefit my defense, I guess I'll eat a 0 move mod (uggggh) and about-face and alpha strike the Parash. Behold as I :battletech: the LPL to the face.

Eyeballing it, I'll have what, 8s to-hit? 3 from skill, 3 from jump, 1 from walking, and, uhhhh, another from something I thought...

Also, thinking cluster shot vs this dude? He's got some holes, and I figure if I shoot those after the MLs might have some fun. How are TACs determined? Rolling doubles on to-hit, or....?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH
Orders submitted, posted here for posterity

MOVEMENT:
Turn 3 hex facings to face Hex 1246 (3mp)
Move forward 1 hex to end turn in 1246

SHOOTING:
Contingency 1: If the Parash is still alive, then:
Fire 4 Medium Lasers at the Parash in Hex 1346
Fire 2 LBX with Cluster Ammo at the Parash in Hex 1346
Fire 3 LRM-5 at the Parash in Hex 1346

PHYSICAL:
Contingency 2: If the Parash in Hex 1346 is still alive, kick the Parash

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah, I've been posting a ton, even for things that seem obvious! And no one has outright called me an idiot yet!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH is protected by God. Must be all the Paradox Papal mega-campaign I've been reading lately

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

I'm not seeing a lot of good movement options for me for the next couple of turns in regards to the next ambush. If I press forward, the best I can manage is 1644 (which I know the Charger was looking at). I'm worried that if I stop short in 1545, then if the next target saunters down the 1400 line like someone earlier mapped out, I'll be exposed to LOS. Or I only move up two hexes to the wreck of the Parash. Does it cost extra movement to ENTER the downed mech's hex, or to leave it?

If I want to eschew that movement and re-route around the back alley, I can only make it to 1044 this round, and next round my movement would end in 1341, which I don't think has LOS to the projected arrival point of 1439 for the incoming enemy mech. Any advice? I really feel like moving forward just a couple hexes might be the best play for me here

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH
Orders submitted, posted here for posterity:

MOVEMENT:
Move forward 2 hexes to Hex 1346 (2mp + 1mp rough terrain)

SHOOTING:
Hold fire this turn

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Good news, team, I'm wildly out of position for this engagement. The way I see it, I have two options:
1.) I can advance forward to hex 1943 in the hopes of swinging the gate shut on at least one of them next turn. Potential drawback is if the enemies close on the visible Goonsquad, I'm even MORE out in the cold.
2.) I can turn and move to 1441 and set up for a full frontal. Drawbacks include that I think that alley is gonna be hella crowded, and it feels like having some diversity of of coverage would be good

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

anakha posted:

Quickdraw

Time for the Yakuza to make their presence felt. :black101:

Charger, Von Rohrs, we should end up the closest to the Shadowcat this turn. Von Rohrs can take 1639, but the Charger should call dibs on 1540 to stay within medium range for your MPLs.

I'll take 1440 and stay at medium range for my MLs. Will finalize orders tomorrow, but will likely end up as follows:

Movement: move three hexes forward to 1442 (3mp), turn towards 1441 then move to 1440 (6mp), turning to face 1540 (7mp).

Firing: Delay shooting until after other Mechs have fired, then fire all MLs at the Shadowcat.

PTN, can I tag the Urbie as a secondary target if the Shadowcat is already destroyed by the time I fire?

This is horribly rules-lawyery, but you should probably say after all other FRIENDLY Mechs have fired. I don't necessarily think it would matter in terms of dice resolution, and disregarding that, I'd hope PTN would understand the the intent of the player, but I've been burned in PbP orders in other games before and endeavour to be very specific now because of it

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Gonna swing around east and try to cut off their options/hem them in. Orders posted for posterity

MOVEMENT:
Run forward 6 hexes to Hex 1943 (6mp)

SHOOTING:
Do not fire this turn

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Planning on moving up to Hex 2139. That Urbie's side or rear arc? Think it's his side

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I like how there's a conga line of death where half our team is located

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

No one told me it's a bad idea, so moving up to alpha strike that urbie. RIP Trashcan2 (hopefully). Only downside is that my ECM will be overlapping the other patroller's active probe, so even disregarding him being able to watch the cadet explode in HD LOS, that would probably tip the Clanners off as well. Maybe.

edit: orders posted here for posterity. There's still time to amend this in the event goon pandemonium breaks out

MOVEMENT:
Run forward 2 hexes to Hex 2142 (2mp)
Rotate 1 hex facing to face Hex 2141 (1mp)
Run forward 3 hexes to Hex 2139 (3mp)

SHOOTING:
Contingency 1: If the Urbanmech IIC is still alive, then:
Fire 4 Medium Lasers at the Urbanmech IIC in Hex 1936
Fire 2 LBX with Slug Ammo at the Urbanmech IIC in Hex 1936
Fire 3 LRM-5 at the Urbanmech IIC in Hex 1936

mercenarynuker fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 17, 2017

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Well, I'm too slow to help push left, as are most of the Mechs over here, not to mention we're all facing the wrong way. I think it really is best case scenario of as many of us that have weapons with range to hit it to keep moving on that Mist Lynx and hope we get lucky. The upshot of that is that the Dragon's Teeth Apartments are well blocking LOS to any other Clan Mechs (for a change), so we are more or less free to engage him at peak violence. Hopefully we can take him out, because we're gonna be facing off against a Light, a Medium, and a Heavy Mech when we try to cross the street to the HQs. Also, I'm betting the Heavy is on the left side of the map. It had a lower Mech density to begin with, so tactically I would backstop that with something that would slow players down and cause problems if they tried to rush it.

Also, I was plotting out moves, and I think I might be able to get a shot on it. I can move to Hex 2137, turn, and advance to Hex 1835. Now I'd be facing Hex 1735, but would I be able to torso twist to fire LRMS and LBXs at the Mist Lynx? In case it matters, LRMS are in my head, right and left torso, while the LBXs are in my right and left arms. The right side being able to fire seems correct to me, but not sure about head/left side of my body. The Lynx is amazing JUST inside medium range for both of them, so I'm looking at 10s to hit. Not ideal certainly, but the more rolls against it the better.

Corollary to shooting, would it make sense to use Cluster ammo for the better to-hit (although shooting a shotgun down an alley filled with my friends sounds hilariously Poor Life Choices to me), or Slug and let the dice fall where they may, hoping to blow off/open a component?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Orders due tonight, folks. Here's mine, for the record:

MOVEMENT:
Run forward 2 hexes to Hex 2137 (2mp)
Rotate 1 hex facing to face Hex 2036 (1mp)
Run forward 3 hexes to Hex 1835 (3mp)

SHOOTING:
Torso twist to face Hex 1834
Contingency 1: Hold Fire until after the Sentinel and Charger have fired
Contingency 2: If the Mist Lynx is still alive, then:
Fire 2 LBX with Slug Ammo at the Mist Lynx in Hex 3029
Fire 3 LRM-5 at the Mist Lynx in Hex 3029

I figure with only two other Mechs getting fire on the Mist Lynx, hitting with a few shards of cluster ammo is not likely to result in a wrecked Mech (everyone please laugh at me if it turns out otherwise), so anything we might hit with probably has to be capable of putting the thing down. If I were to Aim Low and hope for a legging, what would that do to my to-hit numbers? If it makes it easier to disable the Clanner, I may amend my orders.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH
Another quiet turn for me as I trudge up to Hex 1632, I think. Maybe 1732, but I like the options afterwards less from there. These let me swing left if needed, or head to a very unlikely but possible firing lane on the Mist Lynx if it doesn't cross the street. Regardless, gotta move forward at some point, right?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Am I able to indirect fire the LRMs at targets? I'm guessing not, but I included a contingency in my orders JUST IN CASE. If the thread gets me a good answer one way or the other, I'll amend my orders to be fully legal with the submission restrictions. Here they are for the thread:

MOVEMENT:
Turn one hex facing to face Hex 1834 (1mp)
Run forward two hexes to Hex 1833 (2mp)
Turn one hex facing to face Hex 1733 (1mp)
Run forward two hexes to Hex 1632 (2mp)

SHOOTING:
Contingency #1: If I can do indirect fire with the LRMs AND my to-hits are 10 or less (I'm new to Battletech, so I have no idea what mods, numbers, capabilities, options are available to me in this regard)
THEN: Fire 3 LRMs at the Mist Lynx
ELSE: If this is a typically disallowed contingency or too annoying to parse while doing move/fire resolution, then scrap the contingency

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I don't know that it's really worth it, I don't think those LRMs are going to make THAT much of a difference to drop a couple missiles into either of our targets

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

MJ12 posted:

Generally indirect LRM fire is something you only really want to do when you have a fuckton of LRM ammo and no other targets to use it on. It's what you make use of if you have a lance of heavy LRM carriers hiding behind a hill and you really want to vaporize that guy with 300 LRMs.

Yeah, in my brief research on this (reading the first couple results of a google search), that's more or less what was recommended. Also, it's based off my move, the target's move, and the spotter's move, with a +1 penalty thrown in on top of all other normal conditions. So rough back-of-napkin calculations based on vague info, I think indirect LRM support fire on either target it looking at 11s to-hit either target at the absolute most generous, and I'm pretty sure it's in actuality 12s or higher as I'm currently phone-posting and can't reference the map easily

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

If I'm doing the math right, then standing still (and the spotter landing a TAG) will result in 7s to-hit, or 8s if the spotter borks up. If I walk forward to 1530, then the scenario becomes 6s and 7s. Are those calculations right? Also, if we paste this Clanner this turn, we are incredibly fortunate not only for him not getting the message out, but also because all his friends are behind buildings blocking LOS to him, which will hopefully lead to a very confused "wtf, he was fine 10 seconds ago"

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Out of curiosity, does TAG hit location matter? Like if the Hitman plops it on that Wyvern's head, will the LRMs make the face more pockmarked than surface of the moon?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Gonna submit orders now, as I have a Halloween party tomorrow night. Posted here for record

MOVEMENT:
Walk forward one hex to Hex 1532 (1mp)
Rotate one hex facing to face Hex 1531 (1mp)
Walk forward two hexes to Hex 1530 (2mp)

SHOOTING:
Contingency #1: Delay firing until after all other friendlies have fired
Indirect fire 3 LRMs at the Wyvern IIC in Hex 1325

OTHER:
Can the ECM suite jam comm frequencies? If yes, do that as well

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

So should I run past the Wyvern to 1626 to turn and shoot/kick, or pull up short in 1528 to do the same? I plan on shotgunning/lasering him, along with a sure-footed kick, but I don't know if the sudden need for speed outweighs the worse to-hit numbers. And it's not like the 'snatch is built for speed, anyway

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Taking the advice from earlier and advancing to 1527 to Beta Strike the jumpy fucker and also kick him (hopefully while he is down). Orders submitted with extreme prejudice! You have a few hours to let me know if I should amend them (had some beers, probably not fully thinking through the ramifications of it all)

MOVEMENT:
Walk forward three hexes to Hex 1527 (3mp)
Rotate one hex facing to face Hex 1626 (1mp)

SHOOTING:
Wait until after the Sentinel, Hitman, Charger, and Von Rohrs have fired
Contingency #1: If the Wyvern IIC in Hex 1627 is still alive:
Fire 4 Medium Lasers at the Wyvern IIC in Hex 1627
Fire 2 LBX Autocannons loaded with Cluster Ammo at the Wyvern IIC in Hex 1627
Contingency #2: If the Firefly in Hex 0723 is still alive AND someone spots/TAGs it:
Indirect fire 3 LRMs at the Firefly in Hex 0723

Physical:
Contingency #3: If the Wyvern IIC in Hex 1627 is still alive OR if the Wyvern IIC in Hex 1627 is legged/knocked down:
Kick that jumpy fucker

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's why you kick it after.

I did!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Good news, we put down two of the rabid dogs that turn. Bad news, we are basically fighting Clanner Jesus backed up by Clanner Hercules and Clanner Gilgamesh now

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Weissritter posted:

What are the chances that goonlance(s) can go for glory and engage all the clan forces here for the secondary objective?

Also, for the Khan's personal unit I was actually expecting better pilots (1/2 or so). Or maybe I was clouded by my biasness for Clan Wolf's Ranna (who had 0 or 1 gunnery when she was still a Star Commander or Captain).

PTN has said that P/G skills are relative. So a dude who is hot as hell in a pirate on farmer mission might only be tepid garbage against ComStar, for instance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I thought the command post was going to be like the Battle Bistro or something, a dinky truck with maybe some EWARs stuff. Also, wasn't this the mission that PTN said was going to have ~♡~romance~♡~, or am I misremembering?

• Locked thread