Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Polaron posted:

Hey, PTN, I just realized I forgot to send in that I wanted Lady Death to do her distraction move (the one with 50% chance of saving a hostage).

You should probably state that you want to do that move every turn, unless we get some note that an important hostage is likely to be killed next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

hankor posted:

It's too tempting to use this ability every turn, so PTN will make you pay dearly for abusing it. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it but maybe the right thing to do isn't to let them die screaming and begging for their lifes, maybe the right thing to do is to have them put out of their misery by their own people.

That's certainly something important to keep in mind. We're not only playing battletech, we're playing PTN's game too.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

So I think that cataphract with the ace pilot really needs to die.

then again so do the rest. they all need to die. kill them. kill them all.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hostage Situation: Tactical Update 6

D3 Cataphract fires AC 10 at FY Lancelot (3 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range +1 light woods + 2 heavy woods = 8): rolled 11, hit center torso (11/21 armor remains)!
D3 Cataphract fires PPC at FY Lancelot (3 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range +1 light woods + 2 heavy woods = 8): rolled 8, hit left arm (4/14 armor remains)!
D3 Cataphract gains 1 heat, sinks 16

Seeing the result of the Cataphract, this doesn't matter, but that is one magic PPC.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, I got them. Taking stock of things now.

PTN I'm going to take this opportunity to express just how very much I enjoy this thread, even your ominous teasers.

Lots.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Everyone involved, make sure your orders are in. I want to read about robots and space mexicans and see you all fail gallantly to save the hostages.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Nevets posted:

The Ballad of Engine Joe
:golfclap:
Well done good sir.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I think you boys need to get your infantry into this fight, otherwise those militia are going to get into that building with more hostages.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm seriously not kidding. I knew a girl with an English Lit. degree who sent a list of all the computer games she had ever played along with a cover letter and writing sample to Microsoft, and they hired her for 70K a year. Last I heard she was doing script editing for the Mass Effect series.
This really sounds incredible. I don't doubt it, but I'm really wondering why someone would do that in the first place.
Was the thought process pretty much "I've played lots of games and hence have plenty of experience with them."?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

landcollector posted:

v v v What's with the :ohdear:? Did PTN give you a preview of the next turn?

Well, let's see. Raverrn is piloting a tank with big holes in its armor that cannot fire this turn, and has an angry clanner on top of it.

I think :ohdear: is appropriate. Perhaps more so is :ohdead: which was the typo I made when first writing this.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I doubt there's any chance that kicking him back is any better?

Also, what mech is the PTN Lucerne based on?

the description of the fight in the forest is pretty great eeeeeeeeee

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

If only the rules supported a jumping knee drop followed by repeated punchings.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

So our dear Clover's mech is sans both foot actuators. I can only imagine this would make standing next to impossible. In light of PTNs 'careful stand' rule addition, and if a Wolfhound can stand with one leg, I guess the Zeus can do it without foot actuators?

Also for some reason I think Samantha Clover is a very :3: name.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

My username and beloved webcomic fanfic.
I had suspicions before, but now I'm having real trouble not calling you a bad poster.

E:

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Oi, steady on! I was asked and I answered.
Well, fair enough.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 18, 2011

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

So scenario C has us playing as the Goliath Scorpions right? That sounds neat, but we did just get a sound thrashing by some clanners.

Let's be ComGuard.

A

I hope we can revisit C later.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

So for the benefit of some of us who aren't so entirely well versed in battletech, who are LOKI? I take it they're not just Lyran state security or something.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

So I guess the obvious question is what the hell is LOKI doing here? They don't seem like the type of forces that would be deployed to guard or protect an objective.

I'm sure we'll find out eventually, but am still amused by that 'negotiations with the clans' theory.

Arglebargle III posted:

edit: gently caress
Also you don't have to do this, as I'm sure you know. Pretty picture though.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

What exactly does "cut with" mean in this context?
Mixed with? I guess? I drink heavily and have never heard it used in a liquid context. Don't really see how alcohol consumption relates to a persons vocabulary much.

I'm really wondering what the hell the author intended for this character. It just doesn't make any sense, like that chapter a bit ago, where he goes and visits Warwick. This rich fellow is willing to just give him a battlemech, something worth several million c-bills, for participating in the arena. (Naturally since he's a protagonist he'll win easily) And instead of accepting, or at least declining graciously for the generous offer, Rose decides to throw it in his face like an rear end. What the hell.

Also, his ridiculous obsession with forming his own merc regiment, when he has effectively no resources of his own, and he gets pissy when nobody is willing to just hand him expensive machines and valuable pilots, seems completely incomprehensible.
I think he was intentionally written with a histrionic personality disorder.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Let’s Read: Main Event (part 9)
So this was really written, by an author, for the expressed purpose of it being published by a publishing house for sale in a relevant establishment.

I think this is the most surprising part, to me.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Leperflesh is now a full company of paratroopers.

Well, yea, I know he isn't. But that was the first thing I thought of, and the phrasing is hilarious.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 7, 2011

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Completely unrelated to the unusual and curious torrent of word-filth that is main event:

Is gauss rifle ammo vulnerable to ammo explosions?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Something Must Be Done.
This afternoon when I checked the thread I got the notion to find a copy of it and post pictures of me destroying a handful of pages in differing ways until I ran out of ideas or pages.

However paying 6.50 for shipping on a .50 book is somewhat disheartening. Also I didn't feel like waiting a week.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I vote A.

I can only assume that the most likely event is not 'they just waltz in, find the core, also miraculously find production plants to start building new toys'.
Still sounds like a fun thing, but we're assuming they'll get the core.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Oh man! A scenario in space and we're comguard. This looks like it'll be fun to watch.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

MJ12 posted:

Finally, they don't provide as much fine control as normal human muscle, giving recipients difficulty making facial expressions.
Are these commandos going to wrestle their opponents with their eyebrows or something? Boosted jaw muscles? Don't know why they would operate on the face.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Xmas Future posted:

What the gently caress is all this poo poo.
We've been over this. It's Pimpmust as a well endowed kobold piloting a mech.

I mean, obviously.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I vote A.

Not that Solaris isn't interesting and fun, but the politically important fights are what make this thread neat.

Even when I have no idea who any of these characters are.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

This is the best thread. I should never let posts pile up here unread.

Also I realize that with twelve players, despite PTN's speed rules, turns are going to be pretty sluggish. hint hint players

Still, this scenario is still pretty bad-rear end. Looking forward to it.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

H6 Gargoyle Tjris
- Activates EI Implants
- No Line of Sight to target!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 42!

I think it is pretty evident that mistakes like this are incredibly crucial to avoid at this stage of the match.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Are these action-mechs kitted out with DHS? Or are they just unconcerned with heat due to the frozen hell-hole temperate and sunny environment?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Foreign Tourist posted:

Hey, is it too late to register for that MechWarrior list in the OP?

If you want to get your chance before the end of this year, yes.

(No, it's not.)

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

That would've required a headshot TAC, which is almost as statistically unlikely as what actually happened.

I love posts like these.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It means they can make orbital insertions :ssh:

I can't stop laughing at this.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Hey, let's get back to the awesome stompy robots.

whatever universe they're from

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Unfortunately, that would require me to own a working laptop. Which I do not.

Did you at some point in fact own a functioning laptop?
Better question, would you like to again?

I think there may be some members of the thread who (myself included) may be willing to chip in 5 or :10bux:.
Either that or we'll buy you a washing machine to keep your broken laptop in.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I vote we get some B and E happening around here.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I haven't got a clue who anyone in this revised timeline is.
Nor in the real timeline.

I do know that mechs are awesome.
I think that's enough.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

But... the warship...

V

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I like your firetruck. :allears:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I admit I wish the answer was bribery.
Also any and all art coming out of this thread is just great stuff. Makes me smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The game would be pretty unplayable since we're looking at something like +10 or more to piloting tests, so it'd mostly be a game to see which team gets hit with fewer meteors and lightning, or who gets earthquake'd into the lava first.

Sounds like fun for the spectators. Possibly everyone would simply lose on turn 2.

• Locked thread