Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SynthOrange posted:

He just needs a sweet rear end recap video.

"Last time, on non-canon Battletech!"

Obviously, someone should step up and make a clipshow of the cartoon and then the subtitles are the thread recap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

landcollector posted:

Do the Northwind Highlanders even exist as a unified, coherent force at the moment? The last I remember of them in this narrative, they were scattered to the four winds by the Capellans (following their role as scapegoats in Justin/Romano's Plan to kill ol' Mad Max).

Yeah, pretty sure they got hosed and went back to Northwind to rest and refit.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zaodai posted:

If he was creating a second thread, he wouldn't move everything to it I don't think. He'd just link back to the old one and pick up from there. Moving everything that is in this thread to a new one would just have the same problems he's currently facing.

Or he'd reserve an extra post at the start of the new thread. But either way, it's a bunch of work.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Psion posted:

Obviously, someone should step up and make a clipshow of the cartoon and then the subtitles are the thread recap.

Nah, gotta get our favorite voice actor to do the thread recap.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Psion posted:

Gimme a script and I can work on something. I didn't start following until a year back and still don't know most of the backstory that PTN has worked in.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TildeATH posted:

Clan Large Pulse Laser & Targeting Computer sounds like my new favorite clan. Their totem can just be an anthropomorphic LPL wearing glasses named Larry.

Clan Why Custom Construction Rules Shouldn't Have Been Introduced?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You say that like the Warhawk C hasn't existed as long as the clans have.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

dis astranagant posted:

You say that like the Warhawk C hasn't existed as long as the clans have.

*cough*Rifleman IIC *cough*

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The canon one doesn't have a tcomp and wasn't in TRO3050

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Defiance Industries posted:

Clan Why Custom Construction Rules Shouldn't Have Been Introduced?

There was a Trial of Come On What Fun Would That Be, but Clan LPL&TC wiped the floor with their opponents, even though they were outnumbered 4:1.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, good news / bad news / other good news.

Good news: my vacation has been fun so far, I got to see my sister and my parents.

Bad news: The time I thought I'd have to work on a political update has evaporated since I've been (and am going to continue to be) carted around to every nearby state visiting 30+ aunts and uncles and cousins whose names I'm embarrassed to admit I don't remember. At all. The joys of always having lived half-way across the country from any member of my extended family. So long story short I haven't had any time to work on stuff for the thread. Also, I forgot my notes and I need them. Whoops.

But I do have a rough plan laid out.

Other good news: I'm flying home on Thursday so the political update should be out sometime on Friday/Saturday (this is contingent on how much laundry I need to do) after I check my notes to make sure my plan doesn't rely on anyone who's currently dead/missing/captured.

Fake Edit: So, hang in there everyone. It'll only be another week.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
That's okay, we can totally get by on 40k and bad jokes for another week.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

TildeATH posted:

AggGgghH! :suicide:

I kid, we'll live.

Probably.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

PoptartsNinja posted:

(this is contingent on how much laundry I need to do)

How could you possibly have so much laundry that you lose entire days to washing it? PoptartsNinja I think you have a problem. Stop buying clothes.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Crigit posted:

How could you possibly have so much laundry that you lose entire days to washing it? PoptartsNinja I think you have a problem. Stop buying clothes.

Save some time, start washing clothes in the airplane bathroom during the flight. Don't take any guff about air safety laws or any other bull if they try to make you leave.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

TildeATH posted:

gently caress that, I want to see Defiance Industries do a promo for the next Hogarth's Heroes movie. "Next time, on Neon Genesis Mechbusters 2: Raiders of the Lost Memory Core..."

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 4, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Crigit posted:

2-3 hours at a laundromat is a lot of time not spent writing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

gently caress that, I want to see Defiance Industries do a promo for the next Hogarth's Heroes movie. "Next time, on Neon Genesis Mechbusters 2: Raiders of the Lost Memory Core..."

We're currently in the process of re-releasing Hogarth's Heroes with an extra three minutes of footage at the end that provides a hook for the next movie. Gets the box office back up after the inevitable week 3 slump.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

2-3 hours at a laundromat is a lot of time not spent writing.

Being an Asian stereotype with my parents owning numerous laundromats and having worked in them many a time, I can definitely attest to this.

You could probably work on a draft of some sort while waiting for the washer/dryer to finish, though. Washers usually take around half an hour to complete their cycle and dryers go for as many quarters as you put in, so there's definitely some time where you're just waiting around...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 5, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TildeATH posted:

Clan 40k is actually 80k but generates the heat of 20k.

(am I doing it right?)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

You could probably work on a draft of some sort while waiting for the washer/dryer to finish, though.

Unfortunately, that would require me to own a working laptop. Which I do not. I can do some plotting, but I've already done all I can until computer access stops being "a few minutes at a time once every few days."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Unfortunately, that would require me to own a working laptop. Which I do not. I can do some plotting, but I've already done all I can until computer access stops being "a few minutes at a time once every few days."

Here's a solution I found works just as well.

It's called a paper notebook and a pencil. Write eveyrthing down, then tranfer it to your computer.

Boom. Done.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's called a paper notebook and a pencil. Write eveyrthing down, then tranfer it to your computer.

Boom. Done.

That only saves time if you don't already know what you are going to write. Preparing posts takes time.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

bunnyofdoom posted:

Boom. Done.

Stop fronting, you son of a bitch, and just buy PTN a laptop.

And all the rest of you pitch in and buy him a washer and dryer.

Christ, it's like you can't even think for yourselves.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bah! I don't see why mere technical difficulties should get in the way - we can make up our own political update! I mean, how hard could it be? Let me give it a try.

Mariksville, Capital of the Free World Place

Captain-General Duncan Marik contemplated the contentious politics of the Inner Sphere as he sat on the john. The reasonably-priced conference centre he and his top generals had rented for their council of war hummed with activity outside of the men's room. If only I had some inspiration, the leader of the Free Worlders mused, some sign pointing me which way to lead my people. His rumination was cut short when he reached for the toilet roll only to find - perhaps due to some Blakist plot - that there was no toilet paper to be had!

A) Launch a full-scale offensive against the Rim-Worlders' caches of Star League Era toiletries
B) Surprise the Capellans with an alliance with the Duchy of New Syrtis and launch an attack to seize control of their pulp-and-paper industry
C) Try the next stall

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
It's not even a choice, obviously B because gently caress Liao.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Crigit posted:

See, that's not the problem. The problem is that he isn't buying enough clothes.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Onean posted:

See, that's not the problem. The problem is that he isn't buying enough clothes.

Henceforth, all items of clothing will be sold by the 12 gallon jug.

BMcDonough
Jul 30, 2013
Oh my freaking god.

I just wanna say right up front, every last one of you guys is freaking win. I have finally managed to catch up with this thread and from the Justice Foot to Steiner Rules through to the pure awesome that was the Death Commando campaign to Hogarth's Heroes, everyone here, from Poptarts to the pilots to T.G. Xarbala's great mech art to just the commentariat has been an amazing read. All of it. Even the extensive and reasonably in-depth analysis of BT's publication woes from the FASA-era through to today, the 'what was the judge smoking?', and the utter savaging of writers who, let's face it, roundly deserved such treatment.

Thank you. Seriously. From the perspective of someone who spent a week a few months ago reading the first 300-odd pages, and finally found the time to get back here to read the rest, I just want you all to know your wit and clear love for a game I've sadly not been able to play with a tabletop group in almost 20 years has been an absolute joy.

Now, of course, comes the downside: I have to wait like everyone else.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The vast majority of the credit goes to PTN, of course, as well as to those who contribute art or writing like TGX and DI. But on behalf of Atlas pilots who enjoy a little manual Cyclops lobotomy...you're welcome.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm just impressed someone actually read nine hundred and seventy-two pages of this stuff.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm just impressed someone actually read nine hundred and seventy-two pages of this stuff.

972 pages? That can't be r...

*glances down*

:staredog:

Uh. Wow. This thread really has come a long way, hasn't it?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Yeah, I thought I was in for a slog when I decided to catch up and read three hundred and something pages; I'm pretty stunned that anyone would read almost a thousand pages. But it's pretty awesome.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That deserves this, which I sat down and wrote in one sitting because Glenlivet. Here is your after-credits sequence brought to you by Defiance Industries.

----------

"My name is Thomas Hogarth. It is my honor to serve the Lyran people."

An Atlas stands in a darkened room, the low rumble around it echoing loudly. The camera zooms through the cockpit to show Hogarth sitting inside.

"This is the story of the last 48 hours of my life."

The floor drops out below the Atlas, and it begins its orbital insertion.

----------

A panicked family piles into their hovercar, carrying with them only their most precious possessions. Their daughter drops a stuffed toy and attempts to go back for it, when a Clan Elemental bursts through the front of her house, flamer burning hot. The soldier inside aims it at the girl, who holds her hands up in a futile attempt to protect herself. There is the sound of a weapon going off, and the Clansman hits the ground dead. A totally mysterious dude in a badass loving duster stands atop the house, pausing to appreciate the kill for a moment before recharging his weapon, a man-sized Gauss rifle. Who is this awesome mystery dude, the audience wonders. I'll have to watch the sequel to find out!

----------

The portly Kuritan curls his silly mustache as he fiddled with his straight razor. Archons Melissa and Frederick sit next to each other, tied to tall wooden chairs as though they were fitting substitutes for their thrones. The fat man giggles as he leans in close to Melissa, raising the blade close to her eye.

"You monster!" Frederick shouts, "Leave her alone, come face me like a man! Have you no honor?"

Laughter rang from all sides. As they look around, they realize they are surrounded on all sides, as though they were in the middle of a stadium. To her credit, Archon Melissa did not flinch even when she saw the Ghost of Richard Cameron materialize into a seat. "It's you!" She says.

"Yes, it's me. But have you met my friends... the Council of Six?"

-----------

Steiner and Vasquez stand on a 'Mech gantry in front of Steiner's Awesome, which has its armor hanging in shreds off it. One of its PPCs is a mess of slag and exposed parts. A short-handed team of technicians scrambles to get the BattleMech back in working order, but it's clearly a race against time.

"The last time we fought Richard Cameron, we lost Schultz. And now we have to stop him again, and his allies? I think our luck is about to run out," Andrew Steiner says, clenching the railing of the gantry in his hands and wringing it. "I always thought that as long as Hogarth was with us, we were unbeatable, but now? Now everyone is looking to me, and I don't know what to believe."

"Believe in this." Vasquez tells him. Then they start to make out, hard.

-----------

The shot returns to the cockpit of Hogarth's Atlas. We can see towering buildings on each side of him, continuing on in a grid-like fashion, indicating he is in the middle of a city. The radio crackles at him.

"General Hogarth, we're on the move," an unfamiliar voice says, "coming to your position to assist. It will be an honor to fight at your side."

"Negative," Hogarth answers, "you need to focus on the mission. I will buy you the time you need."

"But General-"

"No buts. We only get one shot at this." He deliberately switches the radio off and looks down at his radar. He sees one contact, then two more, then three more than that. Soon his screen has filled with innumerable red dots, like a swarm of murderous bees.

My name is General Thomas Hogarth, a faithful protector of the Lyran People. This is my last stand.

------------

:siren: Hogarth's Heroes 2:
Hogarth's Last Stand
:siren:

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 5, 2013

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DefHes, what have you done.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

DefHes, what have you done.

Something wonderful. :neckbeard:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The second movie will be even better than the first, and be hailed as a masterpiece of it's genre for centuries to come. The third one will be terrible, and most people will try to forget it exists. They only get worse after that, with absolutely no one from the production of the first two films sticking around after the fourth (not even the caterers). They will make at least ten of these movies. And then the franchise reboot happens.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, I thought I was in for a slog when I decided to catch up and read three hundred and something pages; I'm pretty stunned that anyone would read almost a thousand pages. But it's pretty awesome.

I did it too..... just, only when it got to page 750 or so, during the megacampaign. God that took a long time, both to read, and the campaign. But this has been extremely enjoyable.

Thanks PTN and co., PTN for the story, and co. for all of the wonderful...... stuff you included into the story.

BMcDonough
Jul 30, 2013

A totally mysterious dude in a badass loving duster stands atop the house, pausing to appreciate the kill for a moment before recharging his weapon, a man-sized Gauss rifle.

You forgot the 'long, feathered hair blowing dramatically in the thermals off the flamer', cuz, you know, Space 80s/90s.

But otherwise, yes, something wonderful indeed. I'd totally go to see...

Well, there it is, isn't it? I mean, it's kind of self-evident once it's out there, but that's how you achieve the 'bring new people into the game' and even potentially justify completely rebooting the setting/mechanics: License out a movie.

After all, in the age of Michael Bay's Transploders Transformers and Pacific Rim, giant stompy robot properties should strike while the iron's hot, don't you think? And of course, to really go and properly assuage the egos of the old-time nerds players who're most likely to be pissed off about a reboot, you go with a classic story.

Liiiike... the old Crescent Hawk's Inception tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

TildeATH posted:

Yeah, 40k wasn't my favourite derail; that'd probably be the crop-mech-pun derail a while back.

...(our next screenplay)...
I contest that there are a few decent action moments from 90s films too. I'd like to see someone learn to waggle a finger in a mech:
http://youtu.be/JMUotV2WdiU?t=39s
And also: "I didn't say Park Drive, I said through the park." In a mech. I believe we can do this.

• Locked thread