Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

I was expecting to go down this turn, but certainly not like that. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Goon Force MVP: Korean Robert

OpFor MVP: Grier Seidman

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 18, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Great job, Goonsquad. Happy to have played this mission with you.

Same, it was a blast working with all of you.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I just realized this is the second time that W.T. Fits has fought Grier Seidman

Yep. I never actually expected that I'd be the one to finish him off like that, though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

C

Kinda bummed to see the Draconis Suns breaking up so soon, but who knows, maybe this will be better in the long run.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Everybody loves Robert. And why not? Dude basically went from a random nobody salaryman to HERO OF THE IMPERIUM DRACONIS SUNS.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Gotta go with C as well, Korean Robert's saga is too good to not continue that way. From salaryman to bond tech to resistance fighter to commissioned Lieutenant to Clan Warlord.

Why stop there?

Korean Robert, First Lord of the New Star League has a nice ring to it...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Our First Vote

Voting is open for:
a) Davion Heavy Guards (FS)
b) Kell Hounds (FS)
c) Second Sword of Light (DC)
d) Third Alshain Regulars (DC)
e) 17th Recon Regiment (FWL)
f) Dismal Disinherited (FWL (technically))
g) Gray Death Legion (LC)
h) Lucky 7 Stables (LC (technically))
i) Death Commandos (CC)
j) Northwind Highlanders (CC)
k) Com Guards (Comstar)

PoptartsNinja posted:

Voting Results are in!

Kell Hounds win, with 24 votes!
Northwind Highlanders take second, with 8 votes. The Northwind Highlanders hold a caber toss to celebrate.
17th Recon takes for third, with 6 votes. The 17th Recon sends word that they are ‘plum disappointed’ that they won’t be able to introduce Radio Station KATN yet.

Voting B in honor of the Kell Hounds winning the first combat theater vote almost 7 years ago.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Whoa, they sac'd 10 jumpships for a deep strike - isnt that a lot?

Go big or go home.

Though in this case, since it's Clan Wolverine returning to Clan space, I guess it's technically "Go big and go home."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I don't know, given that PTN has written them as surprisingly competent in this timeline, it's entirely possible that the Cappies might have spotted the impending backstab coming and moved to counter it. Maybe we'll even get a sweet Death Commandos vs. the Society mission later on down the line.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Orders in. Going to become gloriously incandescent.

Praise the sun. :sun:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

RWA MVP 1: Defiance Industries in the Gurkha #1 for raising the bar when it comes to punching above your weight class in a light 'Mech.

RWA MVP 2: AAAAA! Real Muenster in the Dragoon II for being able to consistently adapt to a rapidly changing situation and managing to stay alive, denying the Society their third objective kill.

Coyote MVP: paragon1 in the Savage Coyote Prime for making the most at a second shot at life.

Society MVP: Osteon for ravaging the Goons and the Coyotes with those iATMs.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Don't forget the tesla coils. Can't have a mad scientist's lair without some giant tesla coils for aesthetic.

And if the warrior caste would've forbidden it as a wasteful expenditure of resources, that's all the more reason to include them as a symbolic act of rebellion! :pseudo:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Don't 'Mechs that lack the ability to torso twist but have gun arms generally also have the ability to flip their arms to fire behind themselves?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Appropriate music for the OpForce's rolls this turn.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I remember a few years ago, someone in this thread brought up the subject of Protomechs. I decided to look them up on Sarna and my initial impression was that they looked like something that wandered out of a Rifts sourcebook.

Time has not lessened that impression in the slightest.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Rabbit Warren Update 7

There was no time to chat once battle was joined in earnest, but that was how Elias Combs preferred it. The Legion associated with one another out of necessity, tolerated one another’s presence and largely stayed out of each other’s way. They did not bunk together. They did not entertain one another. They were allowed private rooms and as much solitude as they cared for—which meant, outside of their ‘Mechs, they often went weeks without seeing one another.

It took a very special sort of person to agree to be transformed into a Legion pilot, the invasive and time-consuming cybernetic surgeries left those who underwent them sterile and numb to pain. None of them cared, the allure of seeing through the “eyes” of a fourteen-meter tall death machine had been too great, as was the sheer exhilaration Elias felt when he opened fire with his PPC. Knowing that he would be greatly rewarded for turning that PPCs against irritants was merely icing on the cake.

It took a sociopath to join the Legion.

Certainly, most had been high-functioning before they’d joined. They could get by in society, feign emotional connections that they didn’t feel, and every single one would have gladly slaughtered everyone they’d ever known if they had the means, a motive, and thought they could get away with it. Which wasn’t to suggest they were murderers, although Elias suspected the Rim World Army would’ve looked the other way if they had been, but given proper motivation there was no incentive to even attempt to feign remorse.

The Republic didn’t believe in the Death Penalty, after all. The truly broken were locked away where they could do no harm, while lesser criminals were assigned prison terms only long enough for the prisoner to be assigned to the next colonization mission. First generation colonists always had things rough, but giving offenders real, honest work to do to better their own situation was preferable to execution. The Republic was too efficient to waste anything—even the dregs of its society.

Dregs like Elias. That thought amused him. Diana Mendez’s machine was staring straight at him with her bubble-shaped head’s directional camera. That camera was often the only cue the Legion had to their compatriot’s intentions. It showed which direction the other pilot planned to move. Elias did a quick calculation, then pointed his directional camera squarely at her machine as well.

The two leapt in tandem, and seized the other’s left hand in mid-air. They held their grip only for a moment, just long enough for both the other’s jump jet thrust to spin them around, and then they were past. Elias touched down along the cliff wall, while Diana landed almost exactly in Elias’s footprints. The coordinated swap had done its job, most of the enemy’s shots at the flying pair of ‘Mechs missed wide. If they’d just kept their crosshairs in place they might have fared a little better.

Elias shoved the enemy Copperhead with an open palm and shot it as it fell. He probably could have smashed one of its legs with a kick from the Legion’s taloned feet, but it wasn’t mercy that stayed his hand. He just wanted to illustrate two very simple facts to that enemy pilot: they were outclassed.

And they were all going to die.

Moments like this are why I love this thread so much.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I'd be fine with splitting off into a new thread, especially if it encourages new blood to join in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Well fought, PTN. Well fought, fellow Goons.

I look forward to the battles to come in the new thread.

• Locked thread