Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

landcollector posted:

Do you really think it is worse than a Charger?

Nothing is worse than a Charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

So there's the whole freeborn-trueborn mixing thing going on here. How hard was it for the squad to get their positions, seeing as they don't fit the clan ubermenschen model (although it's funny that the stats are the same), and how big of a snub is it for the star commander to be here instead of somewhere important?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Can the Piranhas shoot a whole bunch of hexes with one machinegun each to look for ninjas?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Or they could embrace air-cooling as the wave of the future.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Looks like it's time for a crit-seeker to ruin that Phoenix Hawk's day.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I've heard a lot of conflicting things about whether or not Harmony Gold was involved in the MW5 delay, or whether it was something else entirely that S&T couldn't talk about. Does anyone have a definitive "this is what happened and why" they can give?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Why not a custom all-UAC/2 variant of an existing omni?

Because sandpapering is only good if there are armor holes to exploit. Otherwise, you're just spreading damage all over the target. Heavier weapons will take a limb off or punch through armor.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Well, they're carnivorous. Those fuckers would shred infantry with chainsaws.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

"Just add a little delta v" is easy to say, but really hard to do. Anything that's going to make an impression after going through atmosphere is loving massive, and nowhere near a planet. You have to drag it from a "nearby" (in solar system terms) asteroid field or bring it with you, and then you have to get it to hit the right spot.

You could just bring some iridium rods with you or something, but KE weapons are not the magic bullet for killing things on the ground.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I'm a big fan of the Rabid Coyote, but that's probably because of Mech 4 and me being totally in love with LB-X and SRM combinations. Which is not the stock variant in any way, but a really mean medium infighter.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I'll vote A.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I think those guys may be using a LosTech temporal generator to create a bubble of independent space-time in which to work on the 'mechs.

The MFBs contain an entire, like, division-scale refit system between them. They weren't meant for just one lance, it just works out that way because poo poo goes down and the greatest voice actor ever is doing his best to keep things on track.

Seriously they can re-armor and reload a Mech in actual seconds.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I never saw machine gun ammo explosions as so ridiculous. Mechs are big, so mech ammo bins are big, and even modern ammo has lots of propellant in it. Half a ton of explosive going up all at once should be pretty impressive.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

landcollector posted:

Two mechs on the battlefied with the Phantom Mech ability? The Clans may as well go home, there is no victory to be had here.

If hitting them is the problem then you're not using enough HE.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I like the Kurita plan. Sucker them in with Second Sword and Yorinaga, then drop the buildings and snipe with all that Gauss.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

You could use the Shadowrun explanation: a brain is a massively powerful parallel processor that can crush any solely hardware based computer with ease, and advanced computing co-opts some of that.

There's the programming issue too. Terrain is varied, and it takes us years to learn to walk (and decades to be graceful about it). The DI computer doesn't have to number crunch, it can just watch the brain going "oh poo poo I'm going to fall over on may face" and invoke "oshitfallingoverface.func".

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Falcon Guards

With the weight saved in weapon/ammo tonnage and using dhs, I think the cHPPC comes out pretty even with the cLB-20x. It's 4 tons lighter and 14 points hotter, if you were using 3 tons of ammo that's even heat. Plus it's much smaller.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

You could feed half the third world with the ham in Freedom Force, it was great.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Is avoiding pilot damage one of the rolls you auto-fail if unconscious?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The whole point of this map is "lots of light/heavy woods". Get in cover and get close and it should be a more even fight (you also have better pilots).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

Hell with that. If we stick to the trees, stick together, and use cover effectively we'll be fine. cLPLs are powerful, but not overwhelming.

The RiflemanIIC literally fires 4 IS PPCs with +1 to hit, no minimum range, and a larger range bracket at will (except when it's hot, when it fires 3 for one round).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Didn't Goonlance take their airfield? Or are these different omnifighters?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Voyager I posted:

You also have to consider that a lot of our weapons are attached to mechs on the verge of implosion, while those Grasshoppers are going to take a while going down. It's not unwinnable, but it's going to be tight either way, and even if we win who knows if we'll have time to scoop the loot.

Don't discount pilot quality. The Clanners are okay (partly compensated for by implants), but the Death Commandos are about as good as it gets.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Hey, the Taurians are all right.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

In every timeline, there is a man, a giant robot, and issues with the leadership of Skye.

I guess we got to Kaetetôã through a tear.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

If you hadn't put it in dialogue quotes, I would have believed for a few seconds.

Can Hastur order some dropship fire now? It would really mess up that command lance.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

E.

Because gently caress the Davions.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Taurian Corcordant is the only half-civilized place in the periphery. It was actually above inner sphere standards of living until the Star League (mostly the Davions) buried it under a wall of military resources, ruined or stole the best worlds, and slapped a "protection" treaty on them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

The only supplies any planets actually need for self-sufficiency is water. If you're stuck using jumpships to transport water, you're doing it wrong.

... although I am reminded of a scenario Catalyst was interested in having someone write wherein some pirates steal a single tanker full of water from a neighboring planet to keep their planet going for another three months. :psyduck:

I seriously considered writing that one since it sounded like Mad Max Battletech.

Presumably pirates would need that sort of thing, since they're not the types to do sustainable settlements or anything.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

V. And somebody's tag had better call in nuke strikes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Psion posted:

I'm not really sure this qualifies as helping, but thanks for explaining it anyway. I now feel dumber, as was probably intended. Moreover, I assume this puts me in good company, as everyone else who knew what Ghost Heat was probably felt dumber when they read it, too.

Dude, there are charts and graphs. MWO is one of the most foolishly managed games I've ever played, and I've washed my hands of it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It's much more of an up close fighter than the Deva though, which is a really solid ppc/gauss platform.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Noise wouldn't be a problem. Battlefields are loud, and the pilots are in giant stompy robots of their own.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Wales Grey posted:

Counterpoint: Steampunk is poo poo.

Only if you focus on the steam, but forget the Punk. It's perfectly worthwhile when you make the story about the rise of the oppressed worker class who've been reduced to organic components in the machine of industry while their wealthy masters gallavant around in massive, heavily armed suits of armor in a show of wealth and power.

You've just been scarred by idiots who put cogs on everything.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dachshundofdoom posted:

I've never seen steampunk I didn't loathe.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3503803&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Especially since VDNI tends to cause permanent and total brain damage inside of 10 years. I'd say weapons grade crazy but that's a VDNI user's 5 year prognosis.

It does when you're the Clans and don't refine your interface tech because your pilots are disposable piloting computers. It may not when you're actually competent.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

Yes, ClF3 tends to do that to a lot of things.

ClF3 does that to rock.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dolash posted:

If that's true, how does that explain the Clans? The worlds they conquer get absorbed into their crazy caste-based society, that sounds like something a planet would fight against if they could rather than "here comes the new boss, same as the old boss," and they're even more dependent on small groups of elite warriors instead of massive conventional armies.

They actually don't get absorbed into the caste society, that's part of the incredible stupidity of the Clans. They think they can just show up and wave their ER dicks around and all the little people they usually don't have to think about will fall in line and become (even poorer) peasants, instead of setting bombs and knifing the mighty warriors in alleyway ambushes like they do.

The Clans literally thought they could just shoot some people and plant a flag on Terra and all the great houses would instantly capitulate because clearly these supermen returning from beyond the rim are most suited to rule, and not a bunch of socially maladjusted twenty-somethings.

Hell, they actually thought they would make it to Terra.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

Are the player's special objectives public? I've been looking for them in the thread but can't find them anywhere.

They're on the mech card pictures that PTN posts with every update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

Ammo feeds in Battletech work using miniature wormholes, obviously. Anything else makes no sense. Why yes, the gun in the head is feed from ammo bins in the feet, this is a rational and efficient design why do you ask?

no we'll just run an external feed line fro the bin there's no way this could go wrong

• Locked thread