Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Alright. South Group!

We have been maneuvering well, and we have been exceedingly lucky. We cannot count on luck continuing, so we have to keep maneuvering well. The name of the game is still "find ways to focus fire on a single enemy while limiting LOS from as many enemies as possible to us". I believe that this turn we can very easily get all three of us only in sight to the glass spider and focus it down:

I think my best move is to walk to 0533 hugging the building and engaging the glass spider. The other two also have moves where you can get outside the poor summoner's LOS and be able to shoot the glass spider as well (for example, Jagermech to 0533, Hunchback to 0433, Naginata to 0434).

Other workable options: Hex 1135 gives the hunchback at a full run LoS on the damaged epona alone. Hexes 0834 and 0835 give LoS on the Summoner alone. My only really good options are to either engage the glass spider or move to 0131 without LoS from anything and try to peel that poor Summoner back to the west, again; I would be likely to do this if the two of you opted to focus on the Summoner, rather than try to 1v1 the glass spider. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Gun Jam posted:

I think you accidentally recorded the damage on the Jagermech, instead of me.

1. Epona - sounds good, but I'm worried about the "then what?" - I'll be out of position. In particular, the summoner will get to a knife-fighting range with you two.
2. Focus on the summoner - I don't think I have a way to give only him LOS and get a move mod at the same time. If there is a way I missed, okay.
3. Speaking of move mods - you know who don't have them? The HO. Also, he's out of cover, and if I charge - in my AC short range. I could also get a free kick on the summoner, too.
Sound very good - so it's a bait to draw my out there and get shot. Still tempting, though, and I don't mind the personal risk.
Do you two have an ability to LOS only him? Like, I'm eye-balling my own MS paint here, and I'm honestly not sure.
4. Go to 0433, shoot Glass Spider - got bad numbers here, but if we're ganging up on him, sure.

Just my 2 cents.

1. Yes, it is a risk.
2. Correct.
3. I really, really, really would be nervous about that. Your survival is our win condition. We should limit the opportunities we have for Battletech to just flat out delete you, because then it is mission failed.
4. Sounds like Knox is trying to break contact entirely assuming you are going to go for the Epona.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Gun Jam posted:

Alright. Since there is apparently no concern that I'll be out of position next round (or it's an acceptable risk. If south lance is okay with the summoner, sure), and so far we're not going on "gang glass spider" Epona it is.
Are you two going to focus on someone, or we're still holding up?

The last thing I heard is that Knox is going to try to break LOS, and so I am not going to try to engage anyone all by myself. I am probably going to just keep out of sight and try to position myself well for next round.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

South Group

We need to show ourselves this time to at least two enemies and focus on one, I think, and I don't have too much a choice. My immediate thought is that we try to focus down that Glass Spider that didn't move. There's a zone of hexes that both our assault and I can get to that has LOS on the spider while denying LOS to the HO; there is no hex I can reach that has LOS on the HO without giving LOS to the Spider. The hunchback is in slightly less cromulent positioning, as it is all or nothing for you on LOS to those three mechs in the east. It might be worth it for me to walk to 0434, our assault to run to somewhere like 0633, and have both of us focus the Spider while the hunchback continues to hide; that would likely see the HO and summoner continue to hit the buildings, but we are still at the point where it is better them than us. Summoner could be distracted by having the hunchback back up to 0834, but it would not be able to shoot its autocannon due to facing and I hate giving up free shots for that.

Alternate option: I walk to 0131 and have only LOS on the Summoner, while you two cram into 0834 and 0835; that way we all three have LOS on the summoner and only on the summoner, but with worse move modes and to hits and with three enemies likely to hit buildings. I think that is somewhat less a great idea.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Gun Jam posted:

Right, so unless we banzai, I'm going to 1435, and shoot either the spider or the HO - no special preference.

So - focus fire on the Glass spider?

My orders were to move to move to 0434 and fire at the Glass Spider.

Again if you move out there, you are in view of a very large number of enemies and there is no realistic way either of the other two southern mechs can get to you to support you. If you go down then it is a failed mission, remember. We are all slow and putting yourself eight hexes and a large solid building away from your supports is a painful decision, even though I understand you want to get some more hits in. You can only turn around to face NE, meaning that you will realistically not be able to retreat back to us if and when you get pressed. (From 1435 facing 1535, the best you can do is either to get to 1234 facing SE if you back up, or 1135 facing 1035 and showing your rear to anyone chasing you. It is an extremely, extremely high risk move. It is your move, but I want to be sure you understand the implications. Given your move, it may be a better idea for me to not fire at all, and instead sprint down to 0635 so at least I can sprint to 1035 next turn and hope to offer myself as a sacrificial lamb with no good firing arcs on anyone next turn.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

I will focus on the Spider.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Gentlemen:

Do I dare run forward 5 to 1529, alpha striking, and trying to deliver a justice foot to the glass spider's head if it survives it?

Do I dare not?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Jagermechs: Still The Most Dangerous Heavy Mech

:catstare:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Voyager I posted:

If I'm reading the map right, the Jagermech can run forward into minimum range on the Ha Otoko and threaten another Justice Foot while also breaking line of sight to the Stone Rhino.

I do not see any reason for my orders not to be this. Anyone have a cogent counterargument?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Orders in, and so I do not conflict with anyone I am firing all autocannons at the Donar in 2631. With anti-air targeting it would be foolish for me to not shoot Donars. Also, I am moving to 1625, so that I am still screened from the stone rhino.

I will be on travel until Wednesday; I hope to be able to still submit orders, but discussion time will be cut down dramatically.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Vacation has been hella hectic and I haven't had much time to look at the update and I am reading this on a really crappy phone screen.

PTN, could I beg an extra day? I should be getting home tomorrow evening and will be able to submit orders. If not, I am cool with Knox submitting orders for me too for this turn

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

CourValant posted:

So, anybody have eyes on Mukaikubo?

Any other discussions on this round of orders? Or, are we good with the previous commitments?

I submitted orders on Thursday, sorry.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Fraction Jackson posted:

help how do I render an actually speechless john madden in text

Let's clean up the remnants, boys.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

quote:

Gabby is a shadow of his sister, and so his `Mech is a Shadow (Hawk) of her Phoenix Hawk. This is not subtle but it is easy to overlook, and it is the crux of the novel’s actual main plot.

I have read that goddamned book three times and never quite copped to the Shadow (Hawk) Of A Phoenix Hawk thing. :catstare:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

That was a blast. Good work, team. Fortune favors the prepared, and forget the luck, we were by and large making good, tactically smart moves.

Team MVP: Protest vote for Korean Robert (I know it won't count, but Salaryman-turned-Mech-Ace is too good)
OpFor MVP: Summoner, for getting that kill.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

C, Resistance

How can you not take the chance to play out Robert's Apotheosis?

Also gently caress you Jeffery Kusunoki

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Fraction Jackson posted:

4/6/4 can't generate a +3 mod so in my book it goes under "not sanguine".

My favorite assault mech is probably the Xanthos-5O for this reason.

This is why you want a 3/5/5 mech! :kheldragar:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Player MVP: Spider

Enemy MVP: Hunchback IIC

Seyla.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

A for madness.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

GhostStalker posted:

I think that was in the aftermath of the Steiner Rules duel when Muk started lighting fires everywhere prior to the melee combat. Still, it led to a great thread joke and ascended into thread lore.

I apologize for nothing.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Partly the no contractions gimmick, partly the thing I think Strobe mentioned on the last page with the thread being a little too violently anti-Clanner for my tastes, partly getting real busy with other hobbies. I do keep up with the thread, I just don't really do much voting anymore because voting in a goon LP risks being sometimes kinda like sticking a sensitive appendage into a sausage grinder if you've got the Wrong Opinion. :v: I am pretty amazed that the no-contractions thing lasted as long as it did, though, and I will stand by my two accomplishments of "Steiner Rules" and "The Jagermech, secretly the most dangerous Inner Sphere heavy mech..."

Haven't really been following the giant morass of changes PTN's making, but since Battletech is desperately crying out for a rules update, it's not likely to make things worse. The storyline changes I'll reserve comment on; looks like we are getting a faction of Clans that aren't complete morons and start to integrate with the Inner Sphere, which has always been a fast track into my heart. I love the sane(r) Clans- some of the original homeworld warden clans, I dug Star Adder for saying 'uh guys we're gonna need to bring like everything we've got to do thi- oh you're going to bid like four galaxies only. okay. have fun.' And later in the timeline, I adored the Ghost Bear dominion, the Snow Ravens, and the Sea Foxes for starting to do some interesting stuff in the sphere.

But not the Wolves In Exile. Screw those guys. #ImpeachPhelan

#WithAGaussRifle

edit: As the thread rolls down, I will drop a link to two old posts of mine about the Clans which aged moderately well but I think will help folks get an idea of what it is I like about the Clans- not that I want them to win, but that I think there's a nugget of a really interesting idea in there that I wish could be played with more.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&userid=94082&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post389761705 - Me rambling about Clan Honor and its purpose

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&userid=94082&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post394936023 Effortpost on the Clans' origin and philosophy, and why Nicholas Kerensky is terrible

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

I am 100% on Team Kerenskye until further notice. The snake clans/SLDF, in Lyran space? Yes plz

• Locked thread