Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RoboJiggolo posted:

I already found a use for it. I set it so that when my phone connects to a certain blue tooth device (the hands free blue tooth module in my car), it sets all the volumes to max.

You see, if I play a game or watch a video on the phone I turn the media volume down, and sometimes forget to turn it back up. In my car I play music to the blue tooth module, then from the module to my radio. If the volume is left down on the phone, music is hard to hear over the radio, so this would automatically turn it back up when it detects that it is connected to the blue tooth module, so I don't have to fumble with the phone.

I'll probably think of some other things too.

You can also set it so it turns the volume DOWN when you launch certain apps (like games). Then it'll turn back up when you end the game.

I have Tasker set so that when it's upright and plugged in it launches car mode (because it's in my car dock), and when it's plugged in and on it's side it turns into a desk clock (bedtime).

Also have it set so that when it's within 5 miles of work, it automatically goes to vibrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kreez posted:

How do you prevent it from lauching car mode when you pick it up while it's plugged in? Just avoid holding it straight up?

Also, I found that my phone wouldn't lock until I uninstalled Tasker. It would go direct to home when I woke it up (or perhaps it was never going to sleep or something?)

Yeah, it's kind of a pain in the rear end when I'm laying in bed texting, just gotta be careful to not hold it up. You can modify it so that it must be in an upright position for X amount of seconds, but that starts to get a bit more complex. :)

OP linked to a couple articles, but I learned alot from the Tasker Wiki.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm trying to set Tasker to automatically turn to vibrate when I'm at work. I have it set so that it successfully determines when I'm at work via location, but for some reason vibrate isn't working. I have it nice and simple:

But it doesn't actually set to vibrate. It's irritating me. It says the "Work" profile is active, but doesn't change the settings.

I'm using a stock Evo, if it makes any difference. Any ideas?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bumping this because I'm setting up profiles on my new phone.

Anyone know how to set an action to a long press of the "Back" button on the Galaxy S3? Seems a waste to have a perfectly good button there with no action tied to it. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Does anyone with a Galaxy S3 have any luck with Tasker and lock screen enabling/disabling? I had a great profile set up on my Evo so the lock screen was disabled when I was at home, but it just doesn't seem to work right with JB. Is that a built in security feature, like the fact that Tasker can't mess with Airplane mode and GPS anymore?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

Download the secure settings plug in from the play store. It's free and great for that.

Some people have issues with %KEYG with 4.x regardless

Yeah, but doesn't most of the good settings in that require root? I decided not to root this particular phone.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

In case anyone missed it in the app thread or elsewhere, beta version of Tasker with the new UI is free for a while.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/22/tasker-beta-released-completely-revamped-ui-gives-app-new-life/

apk: http://tasker.dinglisch.net/releases/Tasker.4.0b4m.apk

Anyone tried this yet and exported profiles using "old" tasker, then importing them into the beta?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Gadfly posted:

In one of my tasks I'm trying to run a shell script that deletes all files in a directory (e.g. rm /foo/bar/*). It works fine if there's at least one file in there to delete. However when there aren't any files in that directory, Tasker returns an ExitErr and immediately stops the script and task. Is there a way to force Tasker to continue the task despite the error?

You could always add a step where it copies a tiny file from another permanent directory first, so there is always something to delete, assuming you can't find a way to get past the error message.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

the kawaiiest posted:

Just want to know one thing before I buy it: can I configure it to change certain phone settings (volume, screen brightness, etc) when my phone connects to a specific wifi network? I use wifi a lot because I have a limited data plan but I want the settings to change only when I'm connected to my home wifi.

I have a Galaxy S4 if it makes any difference.

Yup, I have mine do a bunch of things when it connects to my home WiFi network. Ringer up, etc. I used to have it disable the key lock too, but that doesn't seem to work all that well with the Galaxy S3, used to work great with my Evo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm using Tasker and Secure Settings. I just followed this guide. It's for an older version of Tasker, but it still works.

Bumping to say thanks, I got this to work on mine. Though I still wish it was pattern lock instead of pin, I'm fine with it this way.

Next question - is there a way to use NFC tags with Tasker? I like what they can do, but it sucks that they are just a "does this" with no exit task. What I'd love is to set one up for "Car mode" that enables bluetooth, and turns up the ringer (easy to do) while it's on the tag, and then disables bluetooth and returns ringer to previous state when it leaves the tag.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sobriquet posted:

Pattern Lock Disabled/Enabled are options in secure settings. I have mine set up to do this.

I'm an idiot...I couldn't get this to work for the longest time, and just realized that it was working just fine. I have "Invisible Lock Widget" on my front page however, which always just turned off the screen on my Evo, but on my GS3 it actually locks it regardless of whether Tasker has killed the pattern or not. If I use the power button, it works fine.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Medullah posted:

I'm an idiot...I couldn't get this to work for the longest time, and just realized that it was working just fine. I have "Invisible Lock Widget" on my front page however, which always just turned off the screen on my Evo, but on my GS3 it actually locks it regardless of whether Tasker has killed the pattern or not. If I use the power button, it works fine.

Okay, I thought I had this working but it's still iffy. I get the notifcation that the keyguard is disabled from secure settings. When I use Invisible Lock Widget, it does lock the screen which is fine. However, it seems sometimes after a while, it will re-enable itself.

Is it possible that my phone is turning off Wi-Fi when the screens been off for a while? Sprint Galaxy S3. The keyguard task is related to being connected to my WiFi network.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm trying to use this setup but it never seems to clear the pin code when I connect to my wireless. I'm not sure if the issue is with Secure Settings or my TrustedWiFi variable. For instance, at home, the TrustedWiFi variable is showing true but never removes the pin code. Ideas?

I gave up on it, had the same problem. Clears it most of the time, but every once in a while it comes back for no apparent reason. Only thing I can think is that it randomly disconnects from my wifi when the screen is off.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

NewcastleBrown posted:

I imagine this is insanely simple but I'm not getting it. I'd like to put a button on my home screen that when pressed deletes the contents of a specific folder. I attempted to make one that deleted the folder, but it gives me an error saying that the folder is not empty.

I am incredibly new to Tasker so please be as descriptive as possible.

I'm pretty sure someone asked how to do this just a few pages back. The problem was that it wouldn't work if the folder was empty, so I think he had to add a function that copied a junk file to the folder.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

I tried to do this, and it doesn't work for me at all.

I even unchecked the "Enter password once" option in Secure Settings that was suggested as a fix, and I still have to enter my PIN every time I unlock my phone on my home or work wifi.

Is this because I use the HTC One, and therefore it's own PIN/unlock system is different enough from stock that Tasker+Secure Settings can't handle it?

I have the same problem with my Galaxy S3. I just gave up on it and chalked it up to "Probably need to root for this to really work."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone with a Galaxy S3 on 4.3 have ANY luck disabling the lock screen successfully? It's to the point now where I just set up a simple "lock screen on/lock screen off" toggle, and after 30 minutes the lock screen kicks on regardless of what state it's in. I'm using secure settings...beginning to suspect that it just won't work without root.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I have my work schedule in Google calendars. How can I make my phone automatically wake me up 2 hours before I start work either using Tasker or an app? I can't find poo poo on it. My hours are different every day so this would really help.

Ummm couldn't you just add an alert to the calendar item?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think Wi-Fi profiles can be tricky because a lot of phones seem to turn off Wi-Fi automatically when it's not used for a while, then turn it back on when the screen is turned on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone else has had a problem with Tasker since the marshmallow update. I only have a few basic tasks these days thanks to Android building in a lot of features I used Tasker for, but it seems since my Note 4 got updated Tasker is broke. The persistent icon is gone, but since the update I also have an annoying "Sprint" at the top left.

It seems my main task of "turn phone to vibrate from 8-5" is not working. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Go into System Settings -> Apps -> Tasker and make sure all of its permissions are still on.

Yeah, everything is set. Guess my next step is to try and uninstall/reinstall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

.... Or go into the menu and "enable Tasker". I'm retarded.

• Locked thread