Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

For me yes, that looked like a 1/2 price battery+ charger combo and the tool was irrelevant, but potentially useful in the right situation.

Gotcha. I don't really track any of the battery prices but we're using more and more green stuff around the house so I'll see if it's of interest. It was so hard to look past the glue gun when we use my wife's corded one from 20 years ago. Oh no probably longer than that I'm old we'll just pretend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lol so that email receipt has both things at full price with a $89 discount. Gotta love changing the invoice after the sale. Same final price, but come ON. This is really basic stuff.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

H110Hawk posted:

Why is this so compelling over a $10-20 corded with a bunch of sticks which will likely last until the end of time? Is it $53 2ah battery+charger?

but but but if I buy enough lime green tools then maybe *~Ryobi senpai~* might finally notice me :sweatdrop:

Yeah it's not a super-compelling deal, but my ~10yo 1.5 Ah batteries, which I appreciate for their relative lightness, are starting to give up the ghost, so I'm replacing them opportunistically.

Motronic posted:

What a trash fire of a web site.

Yeah, agreed.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cordless glue gun is great because you can just turn it on and not trip over the cord ..

I actually generally use my Ryobi inverter and a 4ah battery to power my soldering station for quick jobs because it also is nice to not trip on the cord running to my work surface

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
So much Ryobi love. I went Makita and have been hunting a good battery sander for ages.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just realized I have 2 batteries new-in-box still... from the double order benchtop dremel thing my wife and I oops both ordered 6 months ago. Neither box is opened yet.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

So much Ryobi love. I went Makita and have been hunting a good battery sander for ages.
Makita was our primary tool brand for the farm, and it was a pain in the rear end to find a good battery tool bundle deal to replace batteries when they'd burn out eventually. I then started getting Ryobi tools cheap as dirt and showing dad and that's starting to change. You can still get decent deals for Makita or Milwaukee but not at the rate or price as Ryobi where between Home Depot BOGO deals and DTO it seems like they're always trying to clear out stock like they're going out of business, and often they're at least 80% of the tool the nice brands have.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
A cordless hot glue gun looks tempting, but I can't justify $89 for one. But I think I can justify a $30 Amazon special that uses the M18 batteries I already own, they come in Makita blue and DeWalt yellow too.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Anyone test out the Amazon shill brand tools? No name multi tool COMPATIBLE WITH Makita 18v

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Anyone test out the Amazon shill brand tools? No name multi tool COMPATIBLE WITH Makita 18v

I've got a no-name Makita compatible leaf blower which is fine. It blows leaves.

I've heard the "Katsu Fit Bat" trim routers are pretty good.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tater_salad posted:

Cordless glue gun is great because you can just turn it on and not trip over the cord ..

I actually generally use my Ryobi inverter and a 4ah battery to power my soldering station for quick jobs because it also is nice to not trip on the cord running to my work surface

Check out the new portable soldering irons like the Pinecil. They're USB-C powered, so you don't have to deal with DC->AC conversion. You'd be able to plug in directly with newer power banks.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 6, 2024

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have a NOT MAKITA dustbuster vacuum that works fine.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BeAuMaN posted:

:toot: make sure to let us know how it performs.

Not sure if it’s the same model by I run a ryobi 18ga finish nailer on m18 batteries with an adaptor and it works good awesome, no complaints. Don’t recall price but it wasn’t much. Was using hf air stapler before that and ditching the air hoses mean I use it a lot more.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

I guess if its cheap enough this could be technically true, but unimpressive

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 9, 2024

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What sort of tolerance should I be aiming for with table saw blade alignment? I've got a DWE7485 and just got a cheap alignment gauge, which shows the back of the blade being 0.2mm further from the fence than the front.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What sort of tolerance should I be aiming for with table saw blade alignment? I've got a DWE7485 and just got a cheap alignment gauge, which shows the back of the blade being 0.2mm further from the fence than the front.

And what's the precision of the dial gauge? 1/128th is probably fine.

Edit: hang on, fence or miter slot? You align the blade to the slot (getting it as perfectly parallel as possible) , then the fence to either blade or miter slot (in exactly how yours is aligned, as small a difference as possible but fence away in the back)

deimos fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 9, 2024

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sorry, first time using one of these. It's measured from the mitre slot and the precision is 0.01mm though it's an Aliexpress one so obviously that's ... aspirational. I then measured the from the mitre slot to the fence and it's essentially parallel to the blade.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
The back of the blade being ever so slightly further away from the fence than the front of the blade is actually good, much better than the alternative. You don't want material to be pinned between the blade and fence.

That's fine.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Sorry, first time using one of these. It's measured from the mitre slot and the precision is 0.01mm though it's an Aliexpress one so obviously that's ... aspirational. I then measured the from the mitre slot to the fence and it's essentially parallel to the blade.

So the problem here isn't the fence, it's the slot. Depending on what you want to do, this can throw off your angles by roughly half a degree. This may be acceptable for your work, it may not, I can't tell you that.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Pretty sure you can't adjust the slot, the problem might be the slot but the solution is adjusting other poo poo to account for it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Pretty sure you can't adjust the slot, the problem might be the slot but the solution is adjusting other poo poo to account for it.

Ah, goons and pedantry, can't think of a more famous duo. Clearly you can't move the slot (you move the blade assembly), but the fence being away at the back isn't a problem if the slot is parallel with the loving blade.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

deimos posted:

Ah, goons and pedantry, can't think of a more famous duo. Clearly you can't move the slot (you move the blade assembly), but the fence being away at the back isn't a problem if the slot is parallel with the loving blade.
I should find a manual for my saw, I always adjusted the table to get the miter slot lined up with the blade and then align the fence with the blade.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

deimos posted:

You got very upset about a clarifying statement and I'm sorry I upset you.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I'm getting so goddamn angry about slots over here.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Are Ego lawn mowers still the goon choice for electric mowers? I have an 8000sqft lot, less than a quarter acre, and most of it is grass. I think a pretty standard-sized walk-behind self-propelled mower should do the job fine, and I don't want to deal with maintaining an internal combustion engine. I'd like something that can mulch the grass and deal with leaves and the occasional small stick.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I've had the Ego 21" non-self-propelled Select Cut Whatever for two summers and it's been great for ~6000sqft of yard. I get the upper and lower blades sharpened every year for a few bucks. Two 5Ah batteries are more than enough for that + string trimmer, sticks aren't an issue until they're more than 1/2" thick or so.

Everyone I know who complained about battery life after a year wasn't aware of the storage self-discharge.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Are Ego lawn mowers still the goon choice for electric mowers? I have an 8000sqft lot, less than a quarter acre, and most of it is grass. I think a pretty standard-sized walk-behind self-propelled mower should do the job fine, and I don't want to deal with maintaining an internal combustion engine. I'd like something that can mulch the grass and deal with leaves and the occasional small stick.

I use mine for just that and it’s great. Not dealing with gas and being able to fold it up in the garage when I’m done are huge pluses.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Sounds good, thanks!

Fifty Three posted:

Everyone I know who complained about battery life after a year wasn't aware of the storage self-discharge.

Are you saying that I should discharge the batteries prior to storage for the winter, or that the batteries naturally drain over time and need to be recharged before use in the spring? Or something else?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Another vote for the ego mower. I’ve had mine for close to 5 years and it’s been maintenance free aside from blade swaps. I love their leaf blower too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I ordered a giant dustpan at work for cleaning up at construction sites for $11. I think it was a pricing mistake, because they sent a case of 6 for $66, and it's the worlds largest dustpan.

Pictured next to a 1 gallon bottle. It's got an 18" opening you can use with a pushbroom.

Now what am I going to do with 5 of these?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

canyoneer posted:

Have a contest; mail them to the winners.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
One for each business day of the week?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Sounds good, thanks!

Are you saying that I should discharge the batteries prior to storage for the winter, or that the batteries naturally drain over time and need to be recharged before use in the spring? Or something else?

I think it's this: lion batteries are made up of a bunch of cells but the monitoring circuit tends to only be on one of them. This circuit puts a tiny drain on that cell that isn't there on the others. So if you leave the battery pack over several months that one cell becomes more discharged than the rest of the pack. The average voltage of the cells evens out so the battery may report itself as fully charged but when you go to use it that one problem cell can get drained too low and the monitoring circuit will throw errors and stop all output. Worst case, the one cell drops below the voltage limit that is considered safe by a charger and the whole pack is effectively trashed. In theory you could disassemble the pack, find the bad cell and replace or manually charge it but battery packs are not designed for disassembly and it usually involves breaking the plastic, not to mention the danger from the still loaded cells.

Moral of the story is to always put a battery pack on the charger for a while if it's been sitting for a few months even if the indicator lights show it's still fully charged.

Mathias Wandel did a video about it with DeWalt batteries specifically but I don't think the manufacturer really matters.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

canyoneer posted:

please contact me my email is

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Squibbles posted:

I think it's this: lion batteries are made up of a bunch of cells but the monitoring circuit tends to only be on one of them. This circuit puts a tiny drain on that cell that isn't there on the others. So if you leave the battery pack over several months that one cell becomes more discharged than the rest of the pack. The average voltage of the cells evens out so the battery may report itself as fully charged but when you go to use it that one problem cell can get drained too low and the monitoring circuit will throw errors and stop all output. Worst case, the one cell drops below the voltage limit that is considered safe by a charger and the whole pack is effectively trashed. In theory you could disassemble the pack, find the bad cell and replace or manually charge it but battery packs are not designed for disassembly and it usually involves breaking the plastic, not to mention the danger from the still loaded cells.

Moral of the story is to always put a battery pack on the charger for a while if it's been sitting for a few months even if the indicator lights show it's still fully charged.

Mathias Wandel did a video about it with DeWalt batteries specifically but I don't think the manufacturer really matters.

Aha, gotcha. My kneejerk behavior is to leave the batteries in the charger when they're not in use. IIRC this is bad for other reasons, but I cannot be bothered to manually track charge state on my stuff, so I guess it's just a tax I'm gonna pay on my equipment :shrug:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

canyoneer posted:

I ordered a giant dustpan at work for cleaning up at construction sites for $11. I think it was a pricing mistake, because they sent a case of 6 for $66, and it's the worlds largest dustpan.

Pictured next to a 1 gallon bottle. It's got an 18" opening you can use with a pushbroom.

Got multiple company vehicles that go on site? Or a big warehouse? One in each vehicle and/or different sections of warehouse?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Aha, gotcha. My kneejerk behavior is to leave the batteries in the charger when they're not in use.

This doesn't even work on all chargers/battery systems. Some of them won't "float" the battery.....it charges and then turns off, the end.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

This doesn't even work on all chargers/battery systems. Some of them won't "float" the battery.....it charges and then turns off, the end.

Meaning that even when in the charger, the battery can exhibit the single-cell draining behavior that Squibbles described?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Meaning that even when in the charger, the battery can exhibit the single-cell draining behavior that Squibbles described?

Yup, because it's not charging anymore. You'd need to remove it from the charger and put it back on periodically.

This happened with some Ryobi charger I had (and not the one I have now) and definitely happens with the harbor freight one. My Dewalt slow and fast chargers don't have this issue.

So, just something to look out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Gotcha, thanks for the heads-up.