Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Motronic posted:

Yup, because it's not charging anymore. You'd need to remove it from the charger and put it back on periodically.

This happened with some Ryobi charger I had (and not the one I have now) and definitely happens with the harbor freight one. My Dewalt slow and fast chargers don't have this issue.

So, just something to look out for.

Be careful of doing that with some chargers. My neighbor's house burned down because he had left one of those Greenworks batteries charging on his porch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There are ouways outliers, but battery charger fires are not a significant or even notable percentage of house fire cause and origin investigations. You'll find a much higher incidence of wall warts as a cause if you want something to get concerned over.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just going back to lawnmower chat:

I love my Makita lawnmower. Also I love the trend of modern battery operated lawnmowers looking space aged as gently caress.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Motronic posted:

wall warts

Never heard of this before, ha!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Johnny Truant posted:

Never heard of this before, ha!

It's the only slang term I've ever known for AC power adapters. I guess "power brick" for the laptop kind where there's a cable that plugs into a wall, then a box for the adapter, and then a cable from that that plugs into the laptop.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Doesn't hold a candle to Maryland.

That flag is real loving wild.
:actually: That's because it's the heraldic shield of Lord Baltimore, funder of Maryland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Calvert,_2nd_Baron_Baltimore#Maryland

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Are you saying that I should discharge the batteries prior to storage for the winter, or that the batteries naturally drain over time and need to be recharged before use in the spring? Or something else?
Sorry, I should've been more clear- I heard multiple complaints of "I left them on a shelf/on the charger over the winter and they only lasted a fourth of the usual duration next time I used them, they must be dead."

Ego batteries have an internal timer that will intentionally discharge down to 30% after one month without use. Remove and reseat the battery to reset this timer and they'll charge back up to 100%.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 2, 2024

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mustache Ride posted:

Be careful of doing that with some chargers. My neighbor's house burned down because he had left one of those Greenworks batteries charging on his porch.

I have a 2.4v milwaukee electric screwdriver from the mid 90s. Great tool, awful batteries. They're either nicad or nimh, I can't remember which. The charger must be pretty basic because one time I charged a battery, then we had a power outage, and when the power came back on it started charging the battery again. I noticed the weird smell and unplugged it so I could pull the hot battery out of there. You'd think chargers would always be checking voltage level but this one is around 30 years old now so who knows why it was doing that. I still use it from time to time but the batteries are awful and die frequently and are pretty expensive.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Another vote for the ego mowers (and just their tools in general, at least the blowers and string trimmers). I love not having to deal with 2-stroke gas or maintenance on small engines.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
I've been overall pretty happy with my EGO tools and have had no issues with batteries - however their warranty service has been spotty when I've had to deal with it.

Bad experience: the powerhead for my pole saw died after using it three times, EGO wanted the tool shipped back at my expense before they'd even tell me if they'd fix it under warranty, made a bunch of vague accusations of misusing the tool. I ended up bringing it back to the local Ace Hardware I'd bought it from and their service counter took care of it for me (because my local hardware store is great).

Good experience: The hedge trimmer recall, filled out a form and a week later a brand new hedge trimmer showed up. Asked about the old one basically got a response of "iunno, throw it out or something", so I gave one to my dad.

And on the topic of EGO tools I'm seriously eyeing up that new 20" chainsaw, which finally has a proper two bolt mounting for the blade. I've been happy enough with my original 16" but the blade's getting wobbly and my back yard is a forest edge.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm eyeballing the pressure washer they just came out with, but at $450 tool-only I'm going to have to wait for my gas one to really piss me off.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I've been trying to talk myself out of finding a pressure washer pump and using it with my old air compressor motor. The last electric pressure washer I had was near worthless and anything decent is at least $450, kinda difficult to justify over a gas powered one with better flow and pressure for $100 less.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SpeedFreek posted:

The last electric pressure washer I had was near worthless and anything decent is at least $450, kinda difficult to justify over a gas powered one with better flow and pressure for $100 less.

Agreed on the plug-in electrics. The Ego is interesting because it gets up near gas performance numbers, while not having a lovely single-cylinder gas engine screaming away whether you're spraying or not.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
With the pressure washer I look at the rapid improvements/refinements they've made with new versions of their other tools - like the leaf blowers or chainsaws that they're now on like revision 4 or 5 with. I'm definitely interested as I only have a cheap plug-in electric at the moment, but I think I'll wait for version 2.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Is there a good source for tubing and tube fittings I don't know about?

I was being stupid/lazy and kinda smashed the tubing and compression fittings coming out of one of the tanks on my air compressor, triage was able to slow the leak to the point I can use it. Mcmaster has exactly what I need but it aint cheap, HD/Lowes/Menards have terrible selection in 1/2" and worse websites.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SpeedFreek posted:

I was being stupid/lazy and kinda smashed the tubing and compression fittings coming out of one of the tanks on my air compressor, triage was able to slow the leak to the point I can use it. Mcmaster has exactly what I need but it aint cheap, HD/Lowes/Menards have terrible selection in 1/2" and worse websites.

You answered your own question with McMaster Carr, unfortunately.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The only other place(s) that would have things like that are HVAC and maybe plumbing supply houses if you have any in your area that will sell retail.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

SpeedFreek posted:

A lot of stores that sell hydraulic poo poo also sell pneumatic poo poo. If you've got a local parker store or similar, try that.

Don't know about price, whether it's good or bad compared to mc master though. All the poo poo I buy is on account and paid for by my boss/company.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 17, 2024

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What's the name of those claw-like pronged gripper things that are made out of a single piece of stamped metal and can be screwed to a surface to stop something moving around? The context in which I've seen them is people making endgrain chopping boards flattening them with a router sled - they take a couple of those gripper things, screw them into the bench so they're flexed against the sides of the board so it doesn't move when it's being flattened.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SpeedFreek posted:

I found welding supply stores will sometimes have a good selection of weird things. Price-wise though... Who knows.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What's the name of those claw-like pronged gripper things that are made out of a single piece of stamped metal and can be screwed to a surface to stop something moving around? The context in which I've seen them is people making endgrain chopping boards flattening them with a router sled - they take a couple of those gripper things, screw them into the bench so they're flexed against the sides of the board so it doesn't move when it's being flattened.

Do you have a screenshot example? It sounds vaguely like a bench dog or a hold-down but the former isn't stamped steel and the latter goes above the work piece.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Trabant posted:

Do you have a screenshot example? It sounds vaguely like a bench dog or a hold-down but the former isn't stamped steel and the latter goes above the work piece.

I don't, I've only seen them on Instagram videos and not got a screenshot at the time. I'm familiar with both bench dogs and hold downs and it's neither of those, both of those are reliant on dog holes and I've only seen these attached by screws to the surface. I figured they might also be used for holding the workpiece for CNC routers too.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Always just lurked this thread but had something today I wanted to share. I was replacing my kitchen sink faucet and the plastic nuts underneath were all jacked up and I couldn't loosen them. I got my wife a whole Dremel kit for her crafting projects for Christmas. It was a pretty nice set that came in a nice toolbox.

Decided to see if there was something in there I could use, turns out it has the flex shaft which was very useful. And there was actually a little 2 flute endmill in there, which was unexpected.

In any case, I used that little endmill to cut those plastic nuts in half. So yea, Dremels are awesome.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Always just lurked this thread but had something today I wanted to share. I was replacing my kitchen sink faucet and the plastic nuts underneath were all jacked up and I couldn't loosen them. I got my wife a whole Dremel kit for her crafting projects for Christmas. It was a pretty nice set that came in a nice toolbox.

Decided to see if there was something in there I could use, turns out it has the flex shaft which was very useful. And there was actually a little 2 flute endmill in there, which was unexpected.

In any case, I used that little endmill to cut those plastic nuts in half. So yea, Dremels are awesome.

Next time, use a basin wrench. You'll be glad you did.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

kid sinister posted:

I would've if I had one, but I was already in the middle of the job and didn't know they existed until I looked up how to get them off.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I found what I was looking for - they're called slab clamping dogs.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

I don't, I've only seen them on Instagram videos and not got a screenshot at the time. I'm familiar with both bench dogs and hold downs and it's neither of those, both of those are reliant on dog holes and I've only seen these attached by screws to the surface. I figured they might also be used for holding the workpiece for CNC routers too.

Might it be a kind of toe clamp? I've seen CNC users at my makerspace use a number of different types of those.

Just came across this and while I haven't seen them before it does sound somewhat like the stamped metal thing you described, just...uh, very toothy:

edit: whoops!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh cool....those are like the table/benchtop version of the dawgs on a portable sawmill.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

A planing stop?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

kid sinister posted:

I don't know, I have a basin wrench, and I think just getting out the cutting tools is better if you find yourself faced with a 20+ year old faucet you're going to replace.

The last time I had to replace a kitchen faucet it started out with 5 minutes of me trying to do it by hand, then with my basin wrench, then with a trip to the garage to look for a different specialized tool, whose name I forget. I found that tool, then I saw my reciprocating saw, and it dawned on me I don't care what happens to this old faucet. 15 seconds and the old one was out, sooooo much easier than the first one I ever removed which was a 3 hour ordeal including trips to the hardware store to buy the "proper" wrenches.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Honestly I was mainly surprised and delighted to find an end mill in the Dremel assortment.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Huh didn't see this on Sunday, but Direct Tools Factory Outlet is having a St. Patrick's Day sale of 35% Off Almost Everything
+ Free Shipping w/ code FEELINGLUCKY

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/

Probably ends at Midnight ET tonight.

As usual, sanity check prices at https://darn.tools/

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 18, 2024

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

deimos posted:

Ah, goons and pedantry, can't think of a more famous duo.

The PB&J of SA.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Honestly I was mainly surprised and delighted to find an end mill in the Dremel assortment.

Probably for cutting drywall, a `la a RotoZip.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Would one normally fill this thing up with glue or only with as much as they'd use on a project or something? And do they require cleaning?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Would one normally fill this thing up with glue or only with as much as they'd use on a project or something? And do they require cleaning?

Fill er up, it shouldn't require much cleaning and the glue flakes off pretty well

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

It’s possible that I’m a moron that’s missing something, but I bought one of these because all YouTubers use it, and…it’s a lot easier to just use the bottle of glue…

I guess the tips might be handy if you need to apply really thin strips regularly?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Schiavona posted:

It’s possible that I’m a moron that’s missing something, but I bought one of these because all YouTubers use it, and…it’s a lot easier to just use the bottle of glue…

I guess the tips might be handy if you need to apply really thin strips regularly?

Buy bulk gently caress off sized glue jug. Fill this. Wipe with a finger or with a silicone brush.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I buy a bottle of glue like this:

And refill it from a big gallon jug. Those gluebot things are awkward af ime and I have no idea why they exist. The regular glue bottles the glue comes in are the same siliconized or w/e plastic that glue flakes off really easily.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Now make me a real rear end glue robot. It better be witty and loveable too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Literally A Person posted:

Now make me a real rear end glue robot. It better be witty and loveable too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbbque0Y4FU