Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
apologies if this is bringing back the recent “bundle chat”, but is there a thread consensus on “best ecosystem” for 18v tools?

Like if you’re coming from zero and you want a few basics, and you’re looking to start outfitting a toolbox over the next however many years, is there like a preference or “better value buy” to DeWalt vs Milwaukee vs Ryobi vs Makita, etc?

I know a lot of people also end up buying into “secondary” and “tertiary” brands for certain tools, etc. Any advice on that front? Any classes of tool that certain brands do best vs certain brands to avoid, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

What is your favorite color?

blue and neon green, but everybody says those are the worst and to stick with yellow or red

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
gently caress, I think I’m gonna become one of those guys that buys into every battery system and then fastidiously scours Consumer Reports/etc for the best performer/best deal and gets that :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

tater_salad posted:

no don't be that.. you'll hate yourself. First you'll need batteries for all your poo poo. second you'll need to have a whole charger bank on your workbench.
I have 2 good ryobi chargers (and several of the small trash one's in a bag somewhere) and a slate of differently sized batteries sitting on a different shelf that get rotated through the chargers on a periodic basis. I couldn't imagine having 3-4 pairs of different chargers and having to manage multiple sets of different batteries.

fair point. that’s kinda how it was in the before-times, in the early days of mixed benches of cordless/corded tools, before companies started standardizing their batteries and whatnot.

I remember my dad having a bunch of bespoke chargers back in the 90s—a charger for the drill battery, a charger for the recip saw, a charger for the flashlight, etc

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rexxed posted:

There's adapters for some of the tool brands and batteries so you could be brand agnostic to a degree. Unfortunately, Ryobi batteries are a bit wonky compared to the brick form factor of most of the other brands due to the stick-uppy part. If you have a 3d printer making your own adapters (as well as wall mounts) is pretty easy.

There's a three pack of Ryobi hobby tools for $99 at home depot right now. Hot glue gun, rotary tool (dremel), and a soldering iron plus a little battery and charger.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...05K1N/317325256

I haven't used any of these but I do like their larger battery operated hot glue gun. This one seems to heat on a base and then you pick it up off the base to use it and put it back.

that rotary tool seems a lot nicer than the Ryobi rotary tool that I was looking at the other day (part of what prompted my question was that I’m sort of in the market for a rotary tool, but I think I might go for a corded Dremel this time around), which was little more than the whip+base with a solitary, kinda flimsy speed knob on it.

Looks a lot like the Ryobi cordless soldering station, which apparently is comically lovely and somewhat unsafe for frequent use but also arguably the best tool in its class if you, say, live on a farm and need to drag a soldering iron out into a field for whatever reason (to do electrical work on a dead tractor was the example that I saw from one buyer)

Edit: haha holy poo poo I didn’t even see that ppl were talking about the soldering station. There’s a larger, “fancier” one that I was thinking about. Apparently it’s not much fancier.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 14, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sharkytm posted:

You've never done mobile or marine electronics, I see. I only use my Milwaukee cordless soldering iron a few times a year, but it's totally worth it

Yeah the other example I saw a lot of was boats, and driveway automotive repair/salvage (getting a barn car running, etc).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

deimos posted:

You buy a set of whatever 18v system you want, and if you need a specific tool that ryobi has and will fulfill your needs, you use your 18V batteries with it. Ryobi batteries don't adapt to other systems well because of the stem.

I mean, it’s not particularly uncommon to buy into two systems because of that.

And by “buy into two systems” what I really mean is “99 percent of the tools are X-brand and the remaining 1 percent that are Y-brand came with a battery + charger bundled in the package.”

If you buy them on Black Friday/etc it’s not uncommon to get free batteries. Not any more expensive than using an adaptor and arguably less janky.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Bandit posted:

Why would they be leaving?

lmao

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Mundon posted:

I don't have the snow blower, but dove headfirst into their ecosystem when my gas mower bit the dust and couldn't be happier.

I never thought I’d see an electric tool company with that much “in your face green” branding develop the fanbase among the sorts of guys who cultivate and express fandom for tool companies that EGo has managed to build in like a decade and a half.

Like it’s one thing for my Tesla owner, 30-year user of plug-in electric yard tools father to fall in love with his EGo ecosystem tools, and another thing entirely for dudes who do landscaping/construction/maintenance/facilities/property mgmt to rep EGo beanies and swear by their battery chainsaws and whatnot.

And their commercial line isn’t even out yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

Looks like Milwaukee finally put out a M18 mower: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-22HD/318995380

A whopping $1000 price tag, but in fairness, that includes 2 of their best 12AH HO batteries (~$250 each) and a double-simultaneous-rapid charger. Interesting that this is their first 2x battery tool, which I assumed wasn't possible due to others' patents.

Early reviews aren't impressed with the runtime/cost but seem to agree that this is absolutely the most powerful electric mower on the market. Given TTI owns Ryobi, they're probably keeping the cheap junk mowers (with all the tradeoffs for cost) in that line and going for the best they can muster with the Milwaukee line.

it’s also aimed mainly at professional landscapers. Push mowers are used in that context to clean up after big, very expensive zero-turn mowers, and power/speed is much more important than range.

https://youtu.be/MTny7sBJX1A

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Motronic posted:

You seem to be confused. Landscapers use string trimmers for this. Not a consumer looking push mower.

:shrug: I’m basing it off of Milwaukee’s own copy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Motronic posted:

This is how consumer good are sold to dads who want PROFESSIONAL GRADE.

I mean I don’t disagree with you, but it’s a fairly uncompetitive product if the goal is for most of the sales to come from homeowners.

I’m sure two batteries will work for owners of smaller yards who want DA BEST but IDK how many guys with bigger yards are gonna drop $1400-2k on a walk-behind mower when EGO and RYOBI exist and would provide equivalent coverage for like a third of the price

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

I don't understand the logic that they think landscapers who have gas powered zero turn mowers and other equipment want to also worry about charging batteries constantly. If you could completely eliminate gas? Maybe, but why make your logistics way more complicated for so little benefit?

the plan is for battery powered zero turns too

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

How many 12ah M18 batteries will that take? That sounds like a nightmare of a charging station situation for a landscaping company. If it uses the MX FUEL batteries then it's even worse because now you've got two different types of chargers and batteries to worry about.

Just seems like a bad plan all around.

🤷🏻‍♂️ electrification is coming by hook or by crook, gotta start somewhere

EGo already has a two (three?) successful zero turn consumer mowers and will be showing off a pro model of their own soon

I imagine that the ideal professional zero turn is built more like an electric car, with a massive on-board battery pack (or maybe something replaceable but still large and tractor/mower-specific), than the way they’re currently being made to run off existing power tool batteries.

Edit:

Or even like EGo’s 56v solution.

Tbqh I think this was kind of rushed to market as-is in order to compete with the rollout of EGo’s pro line.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 22, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/KLNPhqZEkv0

lookit all the new dremels

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/shawsam/status/1484656755619491841

there’s enough overlap between grill news and tool news right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I remember reading itt that the band saw was the saw that lead to the most injuries and couldn’t believe it … how tf did this guy cut his whole arm off ????

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/divine-intervention-man-carrying-severed-arm-saved-82413978

maybe he fell into the saw?

The most Maine quote ever:

quote:

“It had to be divine intervention because two of my best guys just happened to be there sanding sidewalks," said Mary Ann Brenchick, director of Lewiston Public Works. "It couldn’t have been better guys for this kind of situation.”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

12's is definitely framing roof pitch rise/run. I've no idea what 10's is.

for measuring dongs, obvi

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deviant posted:

i just clamp a 2x4 to my work piece

Motronic posted:

I'm trying to imagine finding a straight 2x4. And my imagination isn't powerful enough.

tater_salad posted:

my thoguhts exactly.

Deviant posted:

it's good enough for government work.

i do need to find some angle iron though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
best beware when the Home Depot Repo guys show up to regulate

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
My best “mistaken price” deal was getting a physical copy of Adobe CS5 direct from Adobe for, like, $50 or $100 or maybe $150? I can’t remember. It might’ve been more like $200 or $250. It was a sum of money that I could afford as a full-time undergraduate with no job.

But this was back in the pre-CC, pre-subscriptions, pre-SaaS days when buying a complete copy of CS was like $2,500, so it was still a screaming deal regardless.

Anyway it was all thanks to this place, the Pig Balls Website.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sous Videodrome posted:

My mother and her husband are moving sometime this year. He's not taking all his shop tools with him. He asked if I want his table saw. It's a 3hp Powermatic that he got back in 1976. I said I didn't want it because

* I don't see myself doing any fine woodworking in the future- I'm more going to be doing metal fabrication.
* My most precise saw is a 12" miter on a stand, it's worked for what I need it
* I don't have space. Like, I could fit the table saw in my house, but I wouldn't have clearance around it unless I got rid of other tools
* I can probably find someone to do sawing if I really need it.
* I like having all my fingers

Am I making the right decision here? It's a nice piece of equipment, but I just don't see myself using or needing the capabilities of it. And it's big. It's not really something I want to grab just to have it, especially given it would instead go to someone who plans on putting it to use frequently.

sounds like you should give it to JerikTelorian

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

I check my city's craigslist almost every morning as kind of a coffee-ritual, and I am seriously amazed at the poo poo people put up there.

No one wants to pay $20 for a baby crib with no walls and 2/4 feet broken, why would you waste your time to photograph it then create this post? No, your ~10 year old blue Ryobi router is not just $10 cheaper than a brand new, more HP, model. And I definitely wouldn't pay $50 for a broken dishwasher you placed outside your garage a week ago :psyduck:

plus all the freaky people went to Fetlife after FOSTA-SESTA

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

The tool actually inherently grips harder when you try to turn, meaning you pretty much can't torque out.
It allows for something like a ratchet mechanismn in your hand.
It is an incredibly strong grip because of the mechanismn.

Only real downside is the fact that you might need a bit more clearance

everything reminds me of her :sigh:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Verman posted:

I did an unmentionable thing today. I defied all logic and purchased an electric chainsaw from harbor freight for one purpose; remove the stump from my side yard. I wasn't about to use my nice gas saw to do such a thing. I needed a sacrificial tool. Renting a stump grinder was a hassle and getting it close enough to the stump would be tricky with the fence. It seemed small enough that hiring someone for just this stump seemed trivial.

I dug it down as much as I could. I purchased the nicer of the two offerings. One was $40ish and the other was $66 and their "Bauer" line.

It cut surprisingly well. I didn't expect that. I honestly didn't expect it to stay together. It didn't seem like it was oiling the bar enough. It was a weird feeling to defy everything I've ever learned about using a saw and plunging it into a dirty stump, occasionally sparking on rocks. I split it vertically and then was able to access the three main roots. I had to sharpen the blade three times but it got the job done. I took it apart and cleaned it really well afterwards and will probably give it to a buddy who has no tools, or continue to use it as a sacrificial saw. I'm not going to lie, I was impressed. It's amazing how they can make a decent chainsaw, ship it from China, sell it here for $66, and still make a profit. Next, I'll probably use it to chop that awful wooden ladder to bits.

I realize I don't have a photo of the stump.

next you’ll get a nice battery chainsaw from a fancier brand

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I was at Home Depot yesterday and I looked at a bunch of Ryobi kits—these aren’t holiday specials or anything like that, just the regular kits they have in like the front-of-store area that come with 1-2 batteries + charger and a soft case.

Anyway, I’ve noticed that they have like fifty different secret SKUs of drill and whatnot, with different power ratings and internals—for all that they look externally identical and are more or less marketed as such (1/2” drill! BRUSHLESS MOTOR).

So you’ll be looking at like one $230 kit that includes a drill + impact driver and then you’ll see a $299 kit that includes 2-3 more tools and you’ll be like ”that seems like a good deal” until you peep the fine print, on the bottom side of the cardboard box full of power tools, and piece together that the drill in the bigger kit is like 75% as powerful as the drill in the smaller kit, or something like that.

They’ll be listed by their model names, which are like PDBB00010CD and PDBB00001AD, and you’re just like :psyduck: there in Home Depot, entering them into Google on your phone and trying to get reviews.

And maybe you decide to walk over to the Tool Corral where they have all of the individually sold power tools out on display for you to see and touch. You think you might be able to spot your two drills for yourself and get to the bottom of the conundrum, because that might make sense—but no! Those model numbers are specific only to kits, and those exact drills whose specs you want to compare aren’t sold individually! The model numbers on the drills in the Tool Corral are wildly different!

And then if you’re like me, you start to try to do the math out in your head: is the weaker drill worth the savings and the extra tools? And if I really need a Sawzall more than all the other tools right now, does getting a cheap kit one like this make more sense than just getting a Sawzall plus maybe a drill?

Anyway, TLDR: is there a recommended sweet spot for all this? An easily digestible list with explanations for which tools are worth getting in a bundle and which aren’t?

Or do I have to like painstakingly dig up recommendations and product comparisons for every specific type of tool I might need? (It’s gonna keep being this, isn’t it)

People keep saying that bundles are the way to buy basic tools, but I’m not sold if companies aren’t going to be upfront about which tools I’m actually getting in their bundle packs.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 19, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

which tools were you looking for? drill, driver, reciprocating saw ... what else? and in my opinion the 18v cordless reciprocating saws lack sufficient oomph, the better ones use two batteries or a higher voltage battery. humbly suggest corded--depending on your intended use case of course, i have a 12v hackzall that works well for landscaping

Combo kits are okay but the bigger ones usually just include a bunch of crap i dont need. the BOGO or "free gift!" deals that come around a few times a year are the best way to go but if you cant wait, its not really an option.

honestly right now the first thing I’m probably going to get is a rotary tool, lol.

I have a bunch of bonsai, horticulture, and aquarium-related projects that require precision drilling/cutting/shaping/sanding that something like a Dremel would be perfect for. I live in a rental, so none of my “home improvement” work touches anything of actual consequence.

Mainly just wanna do a lot of project builds.

I’ve held off on buying anything all winter, waiting for the incoming line of 2022 RYOBI rotary tools, and I think I’m going to pick up the $60 USB Lithium rotary and maybe the beefier 1.4a corded rotary if I end up needing more power for certain tasks. Maybe I’ll grab the Babbys-First-Drillpress accessory down the road too.

I don’t really like that the 12v one has an integrated battery. There’s also the $160+ incoming upgraded 18V whip rotary with brushless motor, pedal compatibility, and aluminum grip but that seems ill-placed for my current situation and needs.

I could honestly probably also use a real drill, a power screwdriver (lol, but really), and a sawzall/hackzawl for lopping branches and cutting through rootballs/pipe/pvc/etc. Right now I have this and it rules.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Thanks for the reality check

I guess for me the concern was more the idea that power tools are one of those “buy once in 20 years” deals.

So if the difference is going to be $30-100 or whatever then why buy a tool that would be potentially underpowered when I could spend tens of dollars more to get something more capable?

I also hate the idea of overbuying or purchasing something disposable only to have to replace it down the road.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

100% a cord is not hard at all to move lmao

my dad was an electric yard tool early adopter for everything except the mower, so I was the kid in 2001 dragging 200’ of orange extension cords across the lawn behind a leaf blower/string trimmer/hedge clipper/snowblower while other middle schoolers got to inhale gas fumes

cord getting caught on a rock and yanked....having to run back up the driveway to find the break and plug it back in

rolling everything back up at the end of the day on two big orange spools

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

I think you're making this way harder for yourself than you have to. It sounds like you hate the idea of slightly overbuying, and you also hate the idea of buying something less capable. So you want a tool that has just barely enough power to do what you want, and not spend a dollar more than absolutely necessary?

Those are totally incompatible desires.

If you have some space in your budget, buy better tools. If you want to get something more powerful and longer lasting, that's not Ryobi. Buy either Milwaukee, DeWalt, or Makita.

It's ok to buy good tools. I promise you, even if your economic situation changes in the future and you're super poor, you're not going to look back and regret buying sturdy, reliable tools. They means you don't have to pay again to replace them!

When I said “overbuying” really I meant “buying twice something that I could buy once”

My bad for lovely word choice, but also sure—overspending on way too much of a tool would also be bad. Not something I’m super concerned about since I don’t see myself “accidentally” buying something for masonry or whatever.

Mainly I just don’t like the idea of buying something for $130-150 that breaks when its $160-250 sibling might not.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
what does a power carver/reciprocating carver do better than a rotary tool? Like I get that the plane of motion is totally different, but I struggle to see the vast difference in end product.

Seems like a rotary tool with the right assortment of bits would be way better at clearing through larger amounts of material quickly and also at precision carving, so what’s the value-add here?

I recently saw a bonsai demo where the person used a power carver to shape some deadwood, but the whole time I’m like “everything they’re doing there most ppl would just use a Dremel for and it would be the same, if not easier” and now I’m trying to wrap my head around the use case for such a device.

It doesn’t help that RYOBI is launching a power carver alongside the rotary tool in their USB Lithium line...and so I’m curious since I’m already gonna be picking up the rotary, and probably also the fancy pizza cutter thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Bauer on the track

Milwaukee in the sack

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

canyoneer posted:

yes, 40v batteries. Pretty pleased with it.

The circular saw I want is this dinosaur old Porter Cable with "TOM SILVA" written on the housing in blue sharpie. I hope this artifact will let me absorb some of his power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMlm3SciI-s

cast not in the name of Tom Silva, ye unworthy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BeatMasterJ was like the anti-Tom Silva

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

My goon. Meet the coverall. It is God's own wood/metalworking garment. Also it's an adult long sleeve onsie.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

meatpimp posted:

What New Balances should I get?

I like colors

tastefully discrete colorways and also loud and boisterous colorways

a white or gray pair is decent to have too

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
wtf is a neighborhood war

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Pray for me goons, trying to get a free Ryobi table saw off craigslist that only needs $20 of parts to fix the minor damage to it :ohdear:

gotta replace some parts corroded by excessive exposure to blood

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

more falafel please posted:

The other nice thing about getting on the Ryobi battery system is you can get "tools" like a fan, work lights, Bluetooth speakers, hot glue guns, dustbusters, etc etc etc. You can get those on the pro-level battery systems too, but the Ryobi ones are cheap as hell, and directtoolsoutlet exists. Super convenient for camping and stuff.

Idk that a Ryobi (or any tool company’s) meh Bluetooth speaker is worth it when you can get a waterproof ANKER speaker for like $25 that sounds way better, takes up much less space, and has its own internal battery + can be charged/powered via any USB power source, and I’d argue the same for flashlights and so forth.

I might end up grabbing one of the DeWalt phone charging pads at some point tho, just for the novelty value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Tool Thread: only after watching my wife go through two 1.5aH batteries in the oscillating tool