Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Aw man how did I miss this thread for so long?

Just bought myself a Greenworks lawn dethatcher from their 20% off sale. Just waiting for the last of my leaves to fall and my lawn to drain all the rain we've seen here in NorCal to clean my dirty-rear end lawn up. The previous owners just had a landscaping service mow/trim and that's it. There's so much junk sitting on the base of the grass, so the grass is a bit thin.

On another note, I think I've reached critical mass on my DeWalt collection. I saw those buy a tool, get a tool of your choice for free deals over Black Friday and couldn't really convince myself that I would actually use anything that I didn't have yet besides maybe a sander, although I do have a corded Ryobi sander. I've got their standard 20V XR leaf blower, and every time I bust it out, my toddlers just want to play with it. I could probably go for the job site one that blows at 135mph vs 90 and use that while they do their thing with the other one :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It’s unreal how many pictures I have of them using it and laughing hysterically. You can put a ball in the tube and launch it too.

They also love wheeling around my Garden Weasel acorn picker-upper. And also throwing handfuls of acorns everywhere after I fill a 5gal bucket with them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Not a tool, but any product suggestions to waterproof an outdoor extension cord connection? It might possibly be buried.

Trying to get a (waterproof) Philips Hue transformer closer to my light run without having to buying a handful of overpriced Hue extension cables to get halfway through my back yard.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 7, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It looks like the Hue uses a barrel jack/plug of a weird size at twenty‐four volts direct current.

People suggest buying one official Hue extension, cutting it in half, and splicing a longer cable in the middle. If you want to bury it, use cable rated for direct burial cable.

This is all very irregular, but running twenty‐four volts across the yard is less bad than burying an extension cord and putting the power supply in the rain.

Ah yeah I was trying to avoid the whole splicing thing but it looks like my best bet unless I get the overpriced Hue extensions. Thanks.

And yeah burying 120 idea was dumb, oops.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 7, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ughhhhh, I need the DeWalt version of the hedge trimmer attachment.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sun Joe SPX3000 2030 Max PSI 1.76 GPM 14.5-Amp Electric High Pressure Washer
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CPGMUXW

On sale for $129. Is this any good? I’ve been casually looking for a pressure washer for random poo poo like spraying the moss off the top of my shed and some roof tiles and whatnot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

Unless your roof is metal, you don't want to use a pressure washer on shingles. It will prematurely wear out the material and can push water into crevices. Best to use a hose. If you use a pressure washer, use a low pressure tip. Try not to scrub too much.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-remove-moss-from-roof/

I picked up a ryobi electric for dirt bike washing and other pressure washer stuff and it's been really great. Easy to use, quick to assemble and put away and it has a soap hose. I think it was around $150?

Our house roof is tile, but the shed is shingled, so this is good to know. Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

Hearing my own skin sizzle is one of the things I never wish to repeat ever again.

Flashbacks to my vasectomy

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Trabant posted:

There's a smell to LASIK. It's not burning, technically, but I'm not sure it matters.

I also experienced the smell of my own burning eyeball :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My local wore off 3/4 through and I about jumped through the goddamn roof.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

So uh, how bout those wrenches? :catstare:

We’re talking about our tools. Even our hammer drills.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm all-in on the DeWalt ecosystem and feel like a treacherous bastard when I bought a 4-gal Ryobi 18+ backpack sprayer over the weekend. This thing is incredible for quickly dropping insecticides and herbicides. Way easier than my 1-gal hand pump sprayer.

And now, Home Depot has the 18+ high-volume power inflator on sale. I've been looking to replace my lovely, slow, and loud plug-in Coleman inflator for my pool floaties.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

Same. I'm on team red but I cannot deny the astounding value that Ryobi backpack sprayer is.

Do you get semi-inconsistent pressure coming out of the nozzle if you keep the trigger held down? It seems to bounce back and forth between high and medium pressure if I keep it held down for an extended period. Not sure if this is just a thing, or if something is wrong with it. It's not a huge deal since I usually use blue dye when I'm spraying herbicides and I can keep track of where I hit on the lawn.

skipdogg posted:

100% no bullshit this is my most used Ryobi tool. I live across the street from our neighborhood pool, and that just lives in our pool bag all summer. My kids have a small flotilla of pool toys, so I get a ton of use out of that thing.

Guess I spent too much time posting it, cause now it's out of stock everywhere :(

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 11, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

I have not experienced that but I haven't used it in a long-use situation like spraying the whole lawn yet. I've used mine for perimeter coverage and spraying down wood joists. I imagine even if that's an issue with all of them, it's still probably more consistent than the hand pump sprayers, right?

Absolutely. Was just curious if my expectations were too high.

heffray posted:

HD is still showing it for me, but that might be a location thing. The $40 combination inflator is also really good if you want to do air mattresses/etc and top off tires with the same tool.

Just F5'ed and it showed up available for shipping :hellyeah:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any thoughts on the Ryobi P2300A 18+ edger? I just use my DeWalt string trimmer currently, but I end up whacking way too much and throwing poo poo everywhere. Getting an actual edger seems like it would be much easier and less effort. $80 isn't a terribly huge deal.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-9-in-18V-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Battery-Edger-Tool-Only-P2300A/206481859

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any recommendations on a leaf sucker-upper/mulcher/bagger thing?

I got a 45-foot oak in my back yard that loves to poo poo all over my back yard and pool year round. It’s a super chore to keep up with all the leaves and acorns.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I have a bag on my mower, but it’s all mulch/dirt areas under the tree canopy. I think a handheld mulcher would make it easier than mowing the dirt.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Motronic posted:

It will not. They are al poo poo.

Ah. Well that sucks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I bought this thing and it works so much better than I imagined it would.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PGX4SXW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_H4JFRVAEFXT3BA7SC28Z

This was literally what I was looking at when I made my original post. I wish it was battery powered but I suppose a 12A mulcher would melt batteries real quick.

e: Was also looking at the WG509.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 17, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Since my last posts, I had been waffling on the leaf blower/mulchers. I was trying to decide between the Worx WG509 and the WG512 last night and got a CCC alert for the 509. It dropped from $180 to $99, hell yeah. This thing is gonna make fall so much easier with my 45-foot backyard oak.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I can't remember if this has been discussed recently...

Any battery-powered mower recommendations for a 1600 sq ft lawn?

I'm team yellow, but don't really mind buying a different brand. Greenworks and Home Depot both have this for $400 (15% off). I don't really ever use the self-propel feature on my gas-powered Husqvarna, but when I make my kids mow the lawn, they typically do. So I guess it's a nice to have, but definitely not a hard requirement.

Looks like most of the Greenworks can only go as high as 3.75". Being in Northern CA, I like to bring my lawn up to 4" during the summer, so only being able to go up to 3.75" isn't optimal. I see the DeWalt only goes up to 3.75 as well.

20-21" width would be preferable.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Elysium posted:

TIL people can tell the difference between 3.75 and 4” high grass.

I have fresh TTTF/KBG sod in one part of my lawn and can absolutely tell :colbert:

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 28, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Until you get real far down the rabbit hole of reel mowers and want to cut it at 5/8” :gizz:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sash! posted:

My wife would accuse me of trying to build a putting green instead of a lawn

I see no downside.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Amazon has the Sun Joe SPX3000 pressure washer for $120 right now on their Treasure Truck thing:

https://www.amazon.com/ttgo

This thing any good?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Bunch of Ego stuff on one day sale at Lowes today

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Online-Only-Deals-Wednesday/2865355154

Oh for gently caress sake. I really wanted an Ego mower but am flying cross country tomorrow. :argh:

2130SP doesn’t come with a battery. Fuckers.

e: Wowwwwww, the 7.5Ah battery is $350 separately. Good grief.

e2: Here’s the only 2 that are on sale and come with a battery:

POWER+ 56-Volt Brushless 20-in Push Cordless Electric Lawn Mower 5 Ah (Battery and Charger Included)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-20-IN-BL-PUSH-MOWER-STEEL-DECK/1003130760

POWER+ 56-Volt Brushless 20-in Self-propelled Cordless Electric Lawn Mower 7.5 Ah (Battery and Charger Included)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-20-IN-BL-SELF-PROP-MOWR-STEEL-DCK/1003130762

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 9, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Recommendations on a decent soldering iron / station?

Just for random home projects, nothing more than to use every few months, so budget is somewhere around a soft $100. I see a bunch of random ones on Amazon but they always are littered with “heating element stopped working” reviews. I’d like one with the “helping hands” clamps to hold stuff.

I’ve still got my original iron from EE102 in 2000, but it takes forever to heat up. And is also packed away in a random moving box somewhere so I’m using it as an excuse to buy a new one :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

uwaeve posted:

My Hakko FX888D-23BY has been a joy to use for hobby grade stuff at $104 plus maybe $20 in a tip assortment. I feel like it was on some good reviews and perhaps even recommended by this very thread.

That looks real nice, but a big ol yikes at that temperature adjustment, wow. Not that I’d adjust it often but yeah.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Whoa, someone on Facebook in my area is selling an Ego 56V 21” self-propelled mower for $220 with batteries and charger. Retail $400. Like-new condition.

I should jump the gently caress all over this, right? Been looking to replace my gas mower. Yard is only 1600 sq ft, so it’ll easily last.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just bought a drat Ryobi glue gun because my wife wanted it. I’m never gonna see my single 18+ battery ever again.

I’m all DeWalt tools, with the exception of a Ryobi backpack sprayer and pool toy inflator.

Anyone ever buy knockoff batteries, or will they just die in 3 weeks and melt my tools?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-0Ah-For-RYOBI-P108-18V-One-Plus-High-Capacity-Battery-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-New-/274599228511

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I usually just use a small battery with the ryobi hot glue gun (some 1.2 or 1.5Ah came with a 7 tool kit I got started with). Maybe get one or two from direct tools outlet which specialized in factory blemished or reconditioned stuff:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/P..._Chargers&text=

Their best deals are when there's sales but right now there's some 2Ah for $30 (factory reconditioned), 4Ah for $40 (factory reconditioned) and the big sale event has a 6Ah for $99 (which is huge but not an amazing deal in comparison but it's factory blemished so new and not reconditioned).

Awesome thanks!

And re: Roombas, don’t buy one unless it has the self-emptying tower. Absolute game-changer and by far the best feature. I’ve got the i8+ Costco version. It’s an i7 and comes with a bigger battery and a handful of spare parts. I have a bunch of kids and this thing rules once you clean up the toy explosion from the floors.

I’ve also got the m6 Braava Jet mop. It’s nice, but it takes 2-3x as long to cover the same area as the Roomba. Which is fine, but the cleaning algorithm definitely has some flaws in it. Sometimes it’ll do a few rooms and call it good and return to home. It has a hard time with tile to hardwood transitions too. It’ll try a bunch of times to get over the bump then just give up on probably 30% of my runs, so I have to go move it 3 inches and hit the clean button again.

That said, even with the bugs and annoyances, I much prefer it over actually mopping the floors.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Friend of mine got given a broken Roomba, that just needed a little fixing to get working. So he got it working, and it worked great in his single story home with tile throughout. 'lil robot could get almost everywhere. He also had two Labradors.

One day while at work, he was checking in on his security cameras remotely to check on the dogs, because one of them was looking a little sluggish and sick that morning. The poor dog had diarrhea, and sprayed a puddle in the middle of the kitchen. Then he got to watch helplessly over the cameras as the Roomba activated and spent the next few hours brushing a thin glaze of doggy diarrhea over about 2/3rds of the floor surface area of his house.

:lol: Reddit is full of these stories. With the upper models you can at least stop it remotely via the app if you somehow notice it. Most of the time it’s too late.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any recommendations on a label maker? Sick of using sharpies to label breakers and stuff.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hey tools thread. Got a dewalt DCV517 1/2 gal wet/dry 20V vacuum that won’t turn off unless I pull the battery. The switch looks like it’s switching ok when checked with a multimeter. 0-ohms when on, open when switch is off.

The leads to the motor get 19-20V when it’s on, but when I turn it off, the voltage slowly decreases. Same thing happens with different batteries.

No battery:

Battery, switch on:

Battery, switch off:
https://youtu.be/wpq-s6KPysU

Any ideas? Doesn’t look like DeWalt ships a replacement switch, which I’m guessing is more than a switch. Seems like there’s a capacitor that discharges some but it doesn’t really ever discharge below 13V when the switch is off, which is enough to keep the motor on I guess.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I asked about this quite a while ago in the thread, but after having the Worx WG509 leaf blower/sucker/mulcher for a full fall season now, I gotta say, this thing is loving awesome. Blow leaves into piles, and mulch the hell out of them.

I’ve got 3 large trees in my front yard and I can clean the whole front yard up in 20 mins. Last year, without the mulcher, it took probably 4 green waste cans to clean all the leaves up, and had to do it 3-4x in total. With the mulcher, I can fit one round of leaves into maybe 1/3 of one green waste can vs 4. This thing rules.

The specs say 16 or 18x munching, which is not accurate, but it does do 10-12x easily. It definitely works WAY better on larger leaves. It can’t actually mulch tiny oak leaves, which is unfortunate because I have a 45-foot blue oak that shits all over my backyard.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I'm pretty sure I was one of the ones recommending it because it really is an amazing machine. Glad it's working out for you. I'm still amazed to this day how well it works.

In that case, thanks! You saved my lower back.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

drat, I got a Ryobi P747 tire/pool toy inflator. The + button didn't work at all. Called them up and within 5 minutes they had an order for a replacement shipped to me. Just needed the model # and serial #. Good customer service!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any thoughts on Greenworks vs EGO with respect to electric lawn mowers? Looking at a self-propelled 21" in each and wondered if there was any significant difference between the 2 brands? I'm in the battery ecosystem for neither, so that doesn't make a difference at all. It's my last gas-powered tool and I'll be glad to be done with cleaning carbs, changing oil, buying gas, etc.

Lowe's currently has a couple EGO mowers on a $100 off sale, which is alright but nothing super killer. $600 is about my limit, which is what one of the EGOs I'm looking at is on sale for.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Calidus posted:

Ego has more creature comforts. The deck height adjustment and telescoping handle are just really nice. Ego Select Cut has two blades. The Ego charger is very nice, it has active cooling.

Costco has a green work 80v mower on sale.

Yeah, the Costco sale was the only reason I started looking at Greenworks again. I have their corded de-thatcher and it works great, but don't have any of their battery-powered tools. That said, I don't have any Ego tools either, so I'm not in either of their battery systems.

Seems to me like the differences are:
Ego:
- 56V
- 1x 7.5Ah battery
- Plastic deck
- 60-min runtime (not an issue, my yard is 1600 sq ft)
- Side discharge chute is janky at best and comes out the rear
- Comes with mulching, high-lift and high-effiency blades (I'll never use the latter due to small lawn)
- $700 normal price, on sale for $600

Greenworks
- 80V
- 2x 4Ah batteries, but charger can only hold 1 battery at a time
- Steel deck
- Comes mulching and high-lift blades
- Folds up way easier
- Can't find the exact model on the GW website, but the only 21" 80V that comes with 2x 4Ah batteries is $800 normal price. On sale for $530 at Costco. Costco lists normal price as $630. It seems like the model number 2538902COVT is a Costco-specific SKU?

Reviews for the Ego 2135SP seem pretty good. It's funny because they all say they bought it for $650 full price, but the full price is now $700, so the $100 off doesn't seem as great now.

Does the voltage actually matter any? As mentioned, I have a small California lawn, so I don't need it to last 3 hours or anything dumb.

After looking into the GW one some more, it looks like I might be leaning that way now, especially since it's a bit cheaper.

Squibbles posted:

When I had a greenworks 80v mower it also came with an actively cooled charger.

When? It didn't break after a week did it? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Squibbles posted:

Haha, no it was a great mower but I had to get rid of it when we moved across the country. I liked that the 2 batteries it comes with let you mow until a battery died, toss it on the charger and mow with the second one. By the time the second battery died the first would be charged. My lawn wasn't big enough to have to take advantage of that but a pretty cool feature.

Yeah I like that it can run on one or two batteries.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the Greenworks one from Costco. It really looked like the $800 one on the GW website, but at a smoking price. Now I just gotta wait 10-15 days…..