Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

fins posted:

Hmm.. maybe I should get a quick change toolpost for my mini lathe.

2 days later

Well if I knock out this bit of wall the CNC lathe will fit though the door, but how am I going to reinforce the floor for the 7,000 lb Mill?

drat you eBay!

e: the drat mill won't even fit in a standard height shipping container!

You need to stay away from the better auction sites then, I'm speaking from experience with the state surplus auctions. First you buy a few lights, some workbenches, maybe a drill press that barely fits in your suburban. Then you see that firetruck with a few hours left on the auction and whats this? Its only going for $1500? You think to yourself "I don't really need a firetruck but the price is right."

So far I've managed to avoid buying anything I'd need a CDL to get home or would involve borrowing a construction trailer but one day I'll slip up and end up with a highway sized snowplow truck or something.

For the pole saw would an attachment style string trimmer head work? I have a Ryobi 40V with a pole saw and string trimmer attachment, it could sure use more power and battery capacity (2 Ah) but for a normal residential lot this shouldn't be an issue. I'm at the point where I either get more Ryobi batteries/tools or switch to a higher voltage like the 60V Greenworks with the 4/5 Ah batteries, I might do this anyway to have the power to get a little rototiller attachment for flowerbeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Sockser posted:

The ryobi 40v tiller works well enough for my vegetable beds, except for the one I grow corn in, because the even the small chunks of cornstalk bind it up pretty good

I only need something for the raised beds and flower beds, many moons ago I had a Mantis that worked great for anywhere the big tiller or tractors wont fit.

Is your Ryobi the brushless or older style motor? Mine is the older style and the string trimmer gets overwhelmed by anything thick.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

fins posted:

Wherever I buy from, it's a giant pain in the rear end to actually get it to the shop. There are 5, maybe 6 working lathes in my entire country. Only CNC machine is a Tormach 1100, although I get free time on it in exchange for maintenance. Gotta wait for someone to go bankrupt or die to get a 2nd hand one. Same for mills. One of the downsides of living in a small caribbean island! Had to give up on that awesome Hurco, Shipping, duties, and taxes on shipping make it an insane proposition even before the whole "how is it going to get inside the building" issue. No big machines means no decent riggers around.

Although one more beer and that "buy it now" button might get clicked anyway...
I can think of more than 5 or 6 people I know who have mills or lathes in their basements.

Anyway start stockpiling chain and rigid conduit and when the day comes to play amateur millwright you will be ready. Also a concrete saw solves the will it fit in the door problem if time is an issue.

I cant do a plug in, two of the raised beds are about 200-250 ft from the closest outlet. I have to put the generator in the truck to run anything corded out there and then getting another Mantis starts looking better.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Brute Squad posted:

tells you all you need to know really. The xDrill teams.
So is it the size of the marketing team vs the four people who actually do any technical work or is it that none of them look like the type who have ever done much more than hang a picture or put together Ikea furniture. They they don't seem like the type you would encounter on a job site unless there was a tour going on.

Has anyone found the same drill on alibaba yet? This is giving me freedom phone vibes.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I cut the handles off all my c-clamps a while back and welded nuts to the shafts. Best tool mod ever!

I still need more clamps though.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

FCKGW posted:

Oh no, they all dying for different and stupid reasons

Samsung
LG
Whirlpool

Three brands I will never buy again. The year all my appliances failed my Whirlpool washing machine failed, shortly after the Whirlpool fridge stopped cooling, and before the year was up the nearly new used Whirlpool replacement washing machine failed. The water heater, furnace, and something else also failed that year but I was able to repair the furnace.

edit: That Rigid miter saw stand is awesome, If I would have seen that when it was still in stock I would have bought one for my dad.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 3, 2021

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I killed my cordless drill, grinding and sparks from a brushless motor cant be good. I told myself when this happened I would buy into a red or yellow battery system, I'm still undecided and I got tired of using plug in drills real quick.

Other than the drill/driver kit I was planning on picking up a small chainsaw, the high torque impact, and eventually a tire inflator and flood light. Both make a good impact but Dewalt seems to have the better inflator, otherwise I cant really see anything else that stands out.

One thing with Milwaukee is it seems to be whats on everyone's truck when you're on a site.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

wandler20 posted:

I've got 12v Milwaukee and 20v DeWalt. Both are great and no complaints from any of the tools I own. I will say my Flexvolt chainsaw might be my favorite cordless tool.

I really want the m12 fuel ratchet, HD has a combo with the drill, driver, 3/8 impact for $280 that I am eyeing up but cant justify. I see it as a luxury since I have a bunch of air tools and can get by. I like the flexvolt idea but one thing about Milwaukee is there is a local hardware store that sells them refurb and frequently has a company rep there, I've heard they can give you discounts sometimes.

Whats the weight of the Dewalt chainsaw like? I picked up the Milwaukee saw without battery and it felt like it could be one handed, I already have a big Stihl and need a limbing saw after my little husky wore out.

Literally A Person posted:

Milwaukee shows up at jobsites because they have a shitload of specialty tools in thier cordless line-up. They sell a loving battery operated pipe freezer for the love of God.
The knockout set is what I have seen convert people from other brands, anytime I let anyone use it the next time I see them they will have one on their truck. It saves so much time and goes through stainless like cardboard.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm still undecided but thinking I might go yellow if my trip to that hardware store has me leaving empty handed.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Ok Comboomer posted:

gently caress, I think I’m gonna become one of those guys that buys into every battery system and then fastidiously scours Consumer Reports/etc for the best performer/best deal and gets that :(

Thats what I wanted to avoid, at my old job they were so cheap and cycled through mfg engineers so much you had a wall of chargers for 10 different battery types for every color and voltage. There were a lot of broken cheap drills there, they wasted so much money trying to save money.

I'm trying to buy something I wont have to replace for at least 10 years, I got less than 5 out of my brushless Rigid.

sharkytm posted:

You've never done mobile or marine electronics, I see. I only use my Milwaukee cordless soldering iron a few times a year, but it's totally worth it

Any field work really, when you're up in a lift trying to splice something together its pretty nice to not have to drag an extension cord around or throw a generator in the basket with you. I have air and power within 150' of my garage but is something is going to break its usually outside of that range.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 14, 2022

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I am seriously considering getting that m12 fuel kit so I have the excuse to get the ratchet, I might not even need the ratchet with the little impact in the kit.

I have a Rigid sliding compound miter I've been happy with for framing work and makes near perfect cuts on PVC pipe, I would want to get something better if I ever get around to more furniture making. My dad has been really happy with his Bosch and other than the smaller blade seems like a better saw than mine. The Rigid miter saw stand/cart is awesome and a must have, its kinda big when its folded up but makes the saw so much nicer to use.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
As much as I want to ditch anything small engine powered its going to cost a fortune. A gas zero turn costs about $10k for a decent one and mine burns at least 3 gallons every time I mow, its only 27hp and thats not enough power if I try to stretch out my mowing to a week and a half. I was hoping to replace my trimmer with a 40v and with the 4 charges it takes to get the trimming done it takes almost all day, I might be switching back to gas for that as much as I dont want to.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My experience with casters and wheels is that you get what you pay for. Put another way, beware the cheap ones, you'll save money but you'll do a lot more swearing.

When I built my tool cart I used Harbor Freight casters trying to save money at the time, they suck and the thing was pretty much immobile because it was harder than hell to get the swivel set to turn.

I picked up a better set that should be able to handle a car parked on top of the tool cart from Surplus Center that seem much nicer so far. I also had luck dealing with the guys who clean out old businesses on Craigslist, I picked a dozen decent ones for almost nothing from the guy I bought my Paradigms from.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Posting to say I too love my 15A corded Made in USA SUPER SAWZALL. That fucker weighs 15 lbs and it will break your elbow but it doesn't quit. We used to use them all the time when I worked in the shipyard and the sound of a sawzall getting stuck and vibrating the whole drat aluminum ship will forever be stuck in my ears.

I think I have the same one and it does not gently caress around, if the blade gets pinched and stops you start moving.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Motronic posted:

No.

While it's possible for you to do this, it's going to require using a lot of them to do not much sharpening.

Actual professional sharpeners for mower blades are typically ruby grinding wheels. You can touch up (not really "sharpen") your mower blades a time or two with a grinding disc on an angle grinder. But they angle quickly ends up incorrect depending on how good you are at this and in the end, you simply can NOT sharpen a mower blade "properly" with an angle grinder because they are supposed to be hollow ground. This is not a profile you can reasonably get with an angle grinder.

So touch them up once or twice with a grinding disc and then send them out to be sharpened professionally to get the profile back to correct before they go too far out.

I'm not quite understanding why you can't use an angle grinder, I can get the same angle that the blades came with using my 9" grinder. I make a point to not overheat the metal and it cuts like a new blade until the next cinder block I run over.

For fall protection other than the weight my dbi Sala fr harness is fairly comfortable but costs a small fortune. I'd bet the non fr versions are considerably less.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Motronic posted:

Hollow ground means the angle is not flat, it's concave. I'm not sure how you're getting that profile with an angle grinder.

Maybe you can't tell the difference but it's pretty obvious to me when you look at the quality of the cut and how long the edge holds.

I didnt know this but I'll still probably stick with the cheap diy ways, I'd be surprised if it made a huge difference.

The new blades I just picked up came with a flat edge, they're red and stamped with Exmark on them. I picked them up at the dealer and he never mentioned anything about sharpening them before using them.

I feel its only appropriate to have a discussion about grass on this page of the thread.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I grabbed the DeWalt oscillating saw a lil while back and it's been exceedingly useful but my goodness, the vibration! I feel my hands turning numb if I grip even a little too hard, I gotta be careful not to push it .. Its like the exact resonant frequency to gently caress my poo poo up, no other tool comes close.

Still love the tool :D

Vibration dampening gloves, I have some palmer safety gloves that help.

I just love cutting poo poo with a loving chainsaw. Gas, electric, it doesn't matter. But my plug in Makita is a beast and I love it dearly. It has pretty much replaced my Stihl ms250. Still bust the gas out for huge stuff just because bar length but man I am a fan of the little plug in guy.
Do I have the yard for you, I have all sorts of dead trees to cut down around the fields if you're feeling bored.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Let me know if they deny the return on the grounds of "you're not act actually supposed to sand anything with it."

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'd try and find someone who does concrete and see if they're interested in a little side work.

I have a halogen work light on a tripod, is there anyway to convert it to LED without spending real money? I was thinking I could hack apart some of those $15 5-6000lm garage lights and it wouldn't throw out so drat much heat.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Great for measuring conduit runs and other piping too, I see electricians using them still

It's a safety hazard to use a metal tape, exposed bus and the whole phantom transformer winding thing means they're not allowed a lot of places.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Got a welder, don't ya? Build one.

I did that, 10 years later and I still haven't finished the drawers but that pile of stainless sheet metal and drawer slides is ready for me to get my poo poo together.

E: I tried finding the pictures of it but the oldest pictures on my phone were from 2011, let's just say 15 years.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 3, 2022

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Calidus posted:

We clearly should be designing an all terrain shop vac with some nice 10” pneumatic wheels and retractable cord.

You're not thinking big enough, hydrovac truck. It will get the acorns/walnuts/grass/roots/soil picked up out of the yard, they have a lot of capacity so you could make some money back removing the neighbors yards too.

Remember to wear double hearing protection.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I found a cheap "quick" and dirty way to reuse my halogen work lights, took about a half hour to tear one apart and use the guts from one of those $10 screw in garage lights to switch it to LED. Uses about 12x less power and puts out almost no heat, I might try stuffing one more light into this one. Motivated to try it finally after the 4pm sunsets started and I burnt up the last halogen bulb I had handy.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
My push mower is one of two small engines that hasn't given me trouble, no oil changes or stabil in at least 20 years and I'm still expecting it to start when I dig it out. My Stihl chainsaw never gives me trouble but I take care of it and it never sits too long.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Whenever someone gets around to making an electric equivalent to a 60+cc two stroke saw you're probably supposed to wear the same PPE. Or just keep the bar away from your body.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Other than pinching the chain nothing has stopped my Stihl, I'd be interested in how well the chaps stop a bigger saw. The brushless electric saws lock out when stalled, and stall easy.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
If you are used to nail guns but not framing nailers be prepared for the kick, going from the finish nailer to the framing was like the difference between 22lr and 45-70.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Motronic posted:

Those HAD their place for a hot minute, but that time is over now.

Never seen one worth a drat, it wasn't just battery chemistry but also brushless motors that made electric tools good.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Handheld sandblaster for cleaning up parts of things that don't fit in a cabinet.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Since I had already made one, it was easy to make another of the expansion tools. So I think this must be a first for me, it worked like I had planned.

I was thinking of something way more difficult to make, nice.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

UKJeff posted:

That said, Ryobi makes decent tools at a good price and are currently on sale. Also consider that Rigid power tools have a lifetime warranty, even the batteries, and you can just swap any malfunctioning tools/batteries for new ones at the Home Depot.

Really, you can’t go wrong these days

My Rigid drill put up with a ton of abuse for years before it died, if you made it that long with your old drill go to DTO and pick up a Rigid or Ryobi and save yourself some money.

Remember to register for the warranty.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'm looking for a recommendation for a finish to use on a workbench/outfeed table made with a maple strip benchtop. Find a matte finish oil base floor finish? I'm looking for something I can wipe oil/grease off and still slick enough for plywood slide across coming off the tablesaw.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Last weekend I finished my pressure washer rebuild too, got the final part made to convert from 1/2" BSP to M22x1.5 (kränzle fittings) for my new lance and washed my car. So drat powerful... Reminds me of my dads 3-phase Kärcher from the early 90s that still works today. That thing made a groove in the wood paneling of the shed once.

Still could use new valves but that type of valve no longer exist so I would have to make some type of adapter.

Oh and I got way too short a hose.

It works! Now clean your drat concrete.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Squibbles posted:

We have 1.5 acres with about 35+ baby trees to trim around when the weeds start coming up in addition to all the yard edging and such. It's asking a lot from a light battery powered trimmer.

Also I replaced the default head with one of those bigger ego ones and I noticed the extra weight seems to strain the trimmer more so I imagine that may be helping it burn through the battery faster.
I think it took about 8 charges to do what you can see from the road/driveway with a 40v 2.5 ah battery, 2.5 tanks of gas in the old one.

I'm still never buying a gas trimmer again but if something happened to my big chainsaw I'd buy another gas Stihl in a second.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Doodarazumas posted:

It's another job site stand, so maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I almost like this more than I like the saw that's on it. Really easy to roll around and stow. If you aren't in a hurry you can probably get it cheaper waiting for a saw+stand package deal and return the saw.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Foldable-Mobile-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-Mounting-Braces-AC9946/206992161

If you're not in a hurry that cart used to go on sale for $100, it works great.

I have almost everything in my garage set up so I can move it with a pallet jack if its not on wheels, more stable than carts and almost as flexible.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Want to loosen a rusted nut or bolt? Vice grips and 4 lb hammer.

Don't forget the slide hammer vise grips.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Even without a stand it will be better for cutting angles but get a stand anyway, get at least a 12" blade too.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

HolHorsejob posted:

I'm getting a 1.5 hp motor for my table saw, just a garden variety synchronous AC motor. I can wire it for 115v or 230v, since I have an available & live dryer outlet in my garage. Normally I wouldn't even consider 230, but at 115, the max current draw for this motor is 13.2A, which is close to the limit for the outlet (I think? Breakers are either 15A or 20A, and poorly labeled of course.)

Which would you pick? I'd prefer to wire it for 115, since I already have all the parts and cables to do so, but if I'm running a cut in thick hardwood that might redline the motor, I don't want to worry about the wiring job on the outlets or extension cable (if I end up using one).

As mentioned above you should run it on 230. Less current means less voltage drop and that leads to better performance.

How is the motor being controlled? My saw has an overload on the output of the starting contactor to protect the motor all inside the box with the start stop buttons.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
There are attachments to give the ladders more stability but even with those there are parts of my roof I personally will only visit in a boom lift.

Verman posted:

My mom learned a lesson a year or two ago. She weed wacked around their mailbox/driveway in 3/4 length pants. She wasn't aware that there was anything poisonous but must have wacked some poison ivy because her legs went loving bananas with a rash, got super infected and we're pretty painful for a few months.

Never weed wack with bare skin showing on your lower half.

I wear boots, pants, long sleeves and still get it. This is why I only trim three times a year and take a shower the second I'm done. One day I'll finally kill it all off.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Whats the typical delivery/pick up fee for a 60ft 4x4 boom lift? It would be way nicer than the tow behind for getting around a whole house.

For poison ivy first thing is wash up with mildly warm water and soap, wash at least twice. Do not use the same towel twice, wash your sheets every day, use the spray stuff or calamine lotion constantly. I've been trying to kill that stuff off for years but its resilient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Motronic posted:

Oh, right, now I remember how it ended up the last time I looked at boom lifts. It's WAY cheaper to buy a huge 1980s F8000 boom lift truck. Like $3k vs. $15k+ I do not want to store a 2 1/2 ton truck.

I see them up for auction all the time, trucks go way cheaper than the self propelled boom lifts. Its not the storage but not wanting one more thing to maintain for me.