Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

They got a real deece sale on an M18 Fuel hammer drill with three batteries and a hard case that I really want but don't quite have enough scratch for.

I might have enough cash for just the drill with one free battery though.

Dang, two batteries alone is $230, getting the tool and three batteries for $270 is a steal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Sakara123 posted:

^ this, also more specialized tool stores will typically have better promotions than home depot, Usually some in store below Minimum Advertised Pricing promotions and whatnot. Don't worry too much about missing a promotion.

Any recommendations on how to follow these? I’d love to build out my collection at a lower cost and right now it’s just a lot of Taylor toolworks scratch and dent.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I bought the drill and I regret nothing

Same, but only after watching my wife go through two 1.5aH batteries in the oscillating tool while cleaning up a door. Those 5s will be nice.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Sorry, I should have specified that I have a Worx Pegasus that should work as a stand for it (I think?) but was curious if getting a stand that specifically has those extendable arms was worthwhile and helpful for a small job. Like this guy https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-Aluminum-Adjustable-Miter-Saw-Stand/3326150

I have this and it’s pretty rad, it’s a solid table and provides a lot of adjustment options. The stop block functionality on the wings is solid, they don’t move an inch. Its also a sizeable stand in general, and feels really well built.

However, in transparency, it came for free with the purchase of the saw (thanks, Black Friday), so I dunno if I’d pay the full price.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Got a question for you all. I saw a wine rack, and it looks like a fun project to see if I could recreate it. My skill set isn’t particularly broad right now, but this would be a good way to practice using a bunch of tools I’m not super good with yet.

However, I can’t figure out how this was done:

Is there a wide router bit I’m not aware of? Would they have used a drill to make the edges, and then router the rest? Something else entirely?

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

Is everyone still psyched with their e-go yard tools? Has everyone else caught up in terms of their offerings? Looking for a string trimmer and leaf blower.

I still love my EGO mower, but it’s only been two years and this summer has almost no rain so I only pulled it out once every two weeks or so.

I bought a Milwaukee string trimmer because I’m deep in their battery ecosystem and like it, though it’s a little heavy. I may buy the hedge trimmer attachment, it’s been a great tool so far.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Home Depot has the cordless Milwaukee Fuel router with two 5AH batteries for $200. Seems…nuts?

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Is it a bad idea/unsafe to buy one of those plastic “universal” router base plates, attach my Dewalt router to that, and then mount that under an aluminum table plate?

I have a DWP611 and I got a Rockler table with a basically undrilled plate (three total holes, 4 inches apart) off Marketplace. If there’s a cheap, safe way to make this work (aka not “buy another router”), that’d be ideal. I don’t have a drill press, so I’m not sure if I could drill new holes accurately.

I know the router isn’t designed for table usage, but I’m very much at the beginning of this journey and truly don’t need more than what it provides.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

canyoneer posted:

I got a very thoughtful Christmas present. Some merchandise from my favorite team.

May I be blessed by the patron saint of DIY dads, St. Tom Silva

This absolutely rules

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Any opinion on the Ryobi drill press?

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I bought the drill press because at $110 vs $200 at Home Depot, why not. Facebook marketplace hasn’t had a worthwhile offering in a while there.

Debating getting a hedge trimmer and a Milwaukee battery converter since I’m heavily in that ecosystem, but at that point, I’m not sure if it’s worth to pay >$50 more for the Milwaukee tool.

The wall cabinets are sweet looking too…

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

stealie72 posted:

The Rigid ones that have the sound baffles in them are meaningfully more quiet than the same sized vacuum that does not. I think that's now everything in their NXT series.

How much quieter are we talking? I wear ear pro when using my rigid shop vac in my garage and I assume all of my neighbors hate me every time I turn it on. What kind of improvement do the baffles make, because I’d drop $120 for that in a heartbeat.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Bob Mundon posted:

Am I missing something or are the only plunge routers within a reasonable price range that have trigger activation the super cheap options? Like talking Wen and Harbor Freight, everything else is a switch on the router body. It seems like that would be the standard for something that wasn't a fixed/plunge combo.

DeWalt does have the trigger on the D handle, but that's a fixed base.

What’s the use case you’re going for? If it’s just “I don’t want to have to worry about this thing spinning a million miles a second until I’m ready to” you can do what I do for my in-table router and add a foot activation switch to the power cord, but that assumes yours is corded.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Bob Mundon posted:

I just hate having to take a hand off to start it up and shut it off, and it would be nice to have it shut off if I released it as a deadman switch.

Not that it happens all the time or anything, but if for whatever reason it were to slip out of my hand having it shut off instead of spinning at eleventy billion RPMs seems like a natural thing to add. I want to say my dad's 30 year old router had a trigger too, its just confusing to me why that's not more normal. A tool like that has two handles for a reason, you should be able to operate it without having to take your hand off to start and again to stop it.

Makes sense. I use this footswitch for my corded router mounted in my router table, it comes back in stock pretty often.

https://taytools.com/products/compact-2-step-machine-foot-switch

For my battery powered one, I bought one of 3x3 customs router jigs, the two handles make it pretty easy to control safely (at least it seems so, I just set it up this weekend), though I do still need to turn it on and off with the switch.

https://www.3x3custom.com/store/6-in-1-universal-trim-router-jig

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Thank you whichever goons recommended the Ridgid planer that DTO sells, it’ll get here Saturday (which is way faster than the hedge trimmer I ordered from them shipped)

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Squibbles posted:

I have the DeWalt 20v trimmer, it only takes one battery and it absolutely tears through the charge. We do have a larger yard but it can't even come close to trimming around all our trees. It gets around maybe 10 or 15 before the 5ah battery goes flat and it feels under powered anyway. I'd be happier with a gas one probably. Or maybe a bigger flexvolt or something but I haven't invested at all into DeWalts 60v stuff

That’s interesting, Milwaukee’s 18V comes with an 8ah battery and I believe recommends not using anything below that because the 5s won’t have the performance for it. I’ve never tried using a 5 in it, but I bet on the fast setting it would absolutely chew through them.

The battery is friggin heavy though, it’s annoying that the shoulder strap is sold separately

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Thanks everyone, I will give it a shot and see what happens.

On the upside, if it does as your username suggests and fries the tool, you’ll have an excuse to buy one of the two battery packages that comes with another drill/jigsaw/multi-tool/whatever

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I can’t imagine a company the size and complexity of HD didn’t know what was happening. They turned a blind eye to keep exclusivity for Milwaukee and Ryobi. Who cares about Ridgid, which falls in a middle ground that, with todays prices, nobody really considers as a tier of its own.

While arguably there’s a contractual problem here, it’s a mountain out of a molehill in real business terms.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Lasers are terrible but the the shadow line thing Dewalt does is great.

I had no idea this was a thing, and now I have a kit coming to install a shadow line, so thank you

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I have the Milwaukee 0882-20 compact m18 one, and it’s great for dustbuster purposes. It’s loud, but has worked fine for grabbing cobwebs from corners and cleaning cat litter from stairs.

It’s definitely loud, and can chew through small batteries. I throw a 5ah in and it’s fine for periodic usage.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

For Milwaukee ecosystem folks, Home Depot is doing their "$200 for two 5ah batteries + a tool" deal again.

I don't think I need a grinder, but the light seems like it'd be nice, even if the price is inflated by $25

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

As a very casual user, how much am I going to notice the difference between a $100 18 gauge Ryobi nailer from DTO and the $250 Milwaukee one? I’m deep in the Milwaukee battery ecosystem, but this purchase is a “I don’t want to turn my noisy pancake compressor on” thing, instead of a “I’ll be using this every day or even every week” thing

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Bob Mundon posted:

What do you use the compressor for other than that? I similarly was completely over that pancake compressor melting my brain out through my ears and got a quiet 1gal for blowing things off and occasional brad nails. You can get 1 gal models for well under 150 and 2 gallons that or a little more. Then a cheap $20 or $30 nailer and you're in business with the added bonus of actually using your compressor a whole lot more. Now I just have it plugged in with my bench light so whenever I do anything in my garage I'm turning it on and it's there when I need it. Thinking about doing that with my old pancake compressor is terrifying.

If I were doing it again I'd of gotten a 2 gallon, but that's just for blowing. Even 1 gallon is fine for brad nailing.

I really only use it for brad nails, blowing dust, and seasonally inflating car tires. And, tbh, the dust blowing is usually only to empty the tank after I’ve used it for something else.

What’s the quiet 1 gallon you have?

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

:hai:

I don't need that pole saw but one day I bet I will and it will be glorious

I don’t know why they don’t just sell the mini-chainsaw separately

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I am glad I found this thread!

Going to need to pick up a table saw here soon for a few projects. Hoping to get a halfway decent one for under $300. I thought I could get a decent one cheap used but theyre all either huge gently caress off size full time woodshop size, or rusted old cast iron ones with no parts or vacuum hook ups.

The DeWalt DWE7485 fits the bill price-wise at $299, provided you don’t need a dado stack. It’s a great saw, easy to set up, solid fence, etc.

I’ve been real happy with mine, I’m only upgrading to a sawstop at some point for the safety features.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Are Ego lawn mowers still the goon choice for electric mowers? I have an 8000sqft lot, less than a quarter acre, and most of it is grass. I think a pretty standard-sized walk-behind self-propelled mower should do the job fine, and I don't want to deal with maintaining an internal combustion engine. I'd like something that can mulch the grass and deal with leaves and the occasional small stick.

I use mine for just that and it’s great. Not dealing with gas and being able to fold it up in the garage when I’m done are huge pluses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Would one normally fill this thing up with glue or only with as much as they'd use on a project or something? And do they require cleaning?

It’s possible that I’m a moron that’s missing something, but I bought one of these because all YouTubers use it, and…it’s a lot easier to just use the bottle of glue…

I guess the tips might be handy if you need to apply really thin strips regularly?