Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Calidus posted:

I am flipping flopping between the delta contractor saw, Laguna Fusion F1/F2 and a contractor SawStop.

I can buy the Delta it’s enough saw for everything I can do right now and it fits in the garage against the wall when the car is inside. The Fusion especially the F2 is realistically enough saw until I die. I have spent enough time in manufacturing environments that’s not buying a SawStop just seems dumb.

fwiw i had no problem getting the big Sawstop into my garage, which is at the top of the hill on a pretty bad driveway. Getting it upright was a two-person job, which may or may not still be an issue with the contractor saw, but the crates are nbd and the Woodcraft guys dropped it way further up said lovely driveway than I was expecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

how many times did your dude get whacked in the head by his inventions before he came up with that one

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

wesleywillis posted:

Is that mower battery powered or gas powered?

Yup. Read the OP again.

I know that if you work something battery powered really hard, the batteries themselves can get hot but would they really get hot enough to catch something on fire the same way a hot exhaust from a gas engine would?

I mean without the batteries being compromised in some way.

Li-ions are very energy-dense and don't take much provocation to just explode whether you're actively using them or not, it's been an issue with electric vehicles for over a decade. They don't get hot enough to spontaneously combust unless they're spontaneously combusting, if that's what you're asking, no.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 20, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah if you're envisioning the all-cordless kitchen having none of those issues, rather than adding, like, a dozen separate batteries and chargers you have to constantly manage to the mix, you're in for an expensively bad time

battery-powered tools are great on, like, a jobsite, where wall current isn't an option and the gas-powered alternatives are even heavier and fussier. They're kinda dumb but understandable on things like vaccuums where you're wandering around room-to-room and would have to stop and plug it back in every five minutes. If you're doing that with your stand mixer, cut it out.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 21, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

work van can have a generator in back but the fumes will entirely ruin your croquembouche

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Can't wait for all the Instagram ads featuring rugged lumberjack guys cleaning up thei yard with a $6000 padauk and titanium spring rake

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bamboo is too bland and utilitarian, if you want the big bucks it's gotta be built like a fantasy sword. If not an exotic hardwood maybe something like that old growth ship planking they keep dredging out of the Great Lakes

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

New pneumatic nailgun has warnings all over the documentation not to run it off an acetylene tank, and now i really wanna meet the guy who inspired all that and shake what's left of his hand

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 29, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

Please post a picture this is amazing.

Sorry the manual is basically unformatted, it doesn't look cool

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

would

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

JB Weld it, then it looks like you did it on purpose

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

No there's plenty of other boomers out there who stopped accepting progress in like 1970

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 5, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Deviant posted:

if you use your metric digital calipers every day, they work great.

with love,
- the 3d printing thread.

Ya the batteries thing was kinda a hassle in 1990 or so but now you can get a 20 year supply of LR43s delivered for $3 and a dro is loving incredible for getting quick, accurate readings in tight spaces

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 6, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

there's gas powered lawn vacuums that stick sufficiently heavy motors on a push or riding mower carriage if you really wanna get silly with it, but your kid's not getting paid by the hour so maybe reconsider whether clogs are your problem

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 8, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

I am surprised he isn't inviting friends over at that rate.

really no friend at all to be denying them that sweet sweet $20/bucket

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm looking to pick up a standard bench vise - anybody have thoughts on Harbor Freight's Central Forge swivel vise line?

They've got a 5" on for $60, while almost everything used I find on craigslist is a janky piece of rusted poo poo people want more than brand new prices for. Idgi

a big hunk of cast iron in an approximately useful shape has always been where Harbor Freight really shines.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

:saddowns:

Don't suppose there's any point trying to weld it back on. I really liked these chisels

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MRC48B posted:

Can you just.. grind a new edge on it?

yeah but that sucks and I'm going to whine about it for a while first

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

nah I've got a special chisel for that and a sharpened screwdriver to use as a tiny chisel

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mr. Mambold posted:

Incra-jig rules.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

While investigating why my older drill press has been getting a little stiff I found a huge wad of this crap wrapped around the spindle. Did people used to use some kind of olde tymey asbestos bushing that's now exploded and needs replacement, or did someone just shove a cat in there in 1968

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I buy a bottle of glue like this:

And refill it from a big gallon jug. Those gluebot things are awkward af ime and I have no idea why they exist. The regular glue bottles the glue comes in are the same siliconized or w/e plastic that glue flakes off really easily.

Feels like there's a whole doofy high-tech glue bottle industry that exists only because titebond insists on that stupid internal plug design, which guarantees the tip eventually ends up clogged with a wad of congealed glue, and then to get inside to clean it you've got to rip the tip off which permanently deforms it so it just keeps getting worse. otoh the main drawback to a normal diner-style squeeze bottle is that everyone wants to sell you like a box of 20 for $4 and you'll only need one for the rest of your life

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The stuff you mix and melt in a pot isn't going to penetrate the wood sufficiently to meaningfully swell it and some people like it for fancy joinery because you can remelt it to nondestructively separate the joint, in much the same way a certain niche of fine woodworkers loves the idea you can always repair shellac by rubbing a little alcohol on it even though you may find yourself needing to do that kind of maintenance far more often. The liquid stuff Titebond sells in a bottle doesn't really have the same nominal advantages, but if you've lost a lot at the tracks you may enjoy using it as a kind of revenge

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 24, 2024

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's not like Bosch is in the business of selling table saws *cheaper* than what Sawstop's offering and I don't think they'd be otherwise better saws so I'm unclear on why anyone not employed by Bosch would be asked to give a poo poo about that. I guess if sawstop goes mad with power and starts charging a million dollars per saw once their totally unassailable monopoly on the market is secured forever that'd be... bad? But it's many degrees removed from anything that's happened.

FISHMANPET posted:

Why on earth would I want to listen to someone monologue at me for 15 minutes when I could read even a poorly edited article in like... 1 minute.

Truly I will never understand YouTube and its appeal to anybody for anything.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 4, 2024

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Man wouldn't it be sweet if there was some bygone era where woodworking youtube and the hobby magazines before them were about all the ways to use a pile of dead sanding belts and/or how to run a real business and not, like, a festool circus and someone's cool trick where they take 700 hours to make a kind of coffee table it's normally impractical to manufacture

There's always been a huge disconnect between production woodworking , where a table saw means the capacity to bang through a thousand-plus extra bucks of work a week and a one-time $300 expense is nothing unless your existing plan is to just fire anyone who gets injured, and hobbyist woodworking, where office guys who make more adjusting spreadsheets than anyone who doesn't own a large factory will ever make in professional woodworking blow all their discretionary money on toys to produce the type and quantity of stuff they could honestly get done just fine with a hand saw and chisel, except they don't want to. From what I can tell the latter by and large are starting to reevaluate whether they really need a table saw and determining that no, what they really need is a 4x8 CNC router

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 4, 2024

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

totally, there's just nobody in this equation who legitimately needs to cut a couple hundred in safety equipment out of the budget, and everyone either needs or wants a table saw

little old coot youtube where they stick to like a $30/40 hour project budget and are whittling a chair with a pocket knife would be chill as hell but it never existed and apparently about six other people would watch it

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 4, 2024

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

because nobody's sharing the boring videos

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I like my guns like I like my coffee, in my mouth while I cry every morning

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sometimes eBay is still good

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I've definitely seen marine latches that look approximately like that, but you may have to content yourself with one that's a couple inches across or so, and that particular design is not going to latch an outward swinging door very well, it's designed to stop things pulling apart linearly. Round is easy, you could find something like a round cam latch without too much trouble, just depends how fussy you are about what it looks like

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 7, 2024

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you don't have to live like this bro, if you wanted your shop lights to randomly turn off on you all the time you coulda just stopped paying your utility bills

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Normally my speed is more scraping the bottom of the craigslist barrel for probably fixable antiques with their cords cut or something but when some radiologist just straight up throws his fancy new workshop away uhh sure i guess i could give up jointing on the table saw :haw:

btw anyone want a Hitachi P13 with a broken infeed table

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 10, 2024

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Combo! The big arm is depth adjustment and then the two little knobs on the side are latches, you pop those and flip the table up to get at the planer underneath

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mover tried to lift the whole thing by it so now i get to figure out whether it's easiest to get a replacement bracket from Felder, weld it back together, or weld that guy in place and turn him into the new one

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 10, 2024

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Yeah that's gonna be interesting because just looking at their stuff it has a ton of extra moving parts and absolutely needs a bunch more maintenance than a regular ol' block-of-iron saw or jointer. Making the guard a long spindly extrudes arm held on by a custom cast bracket was a baffling design decision for something that is absolutely going to get slammed by 70lbs of 8/4 maple as a normal job function

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Very interested to see how your spare parts experience with Felder goes. From everything I've heard about them, getting parts in a timely manner and at a sane cost is a major weak point, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Haven't received it yet but so far my spare parts experience is they got back to me in a day and wanted $18. Apparently they were caught completely unprepared for the idea that their tools might ever see a second owner though which was pretty entertaining

canyoneer posted:

a website where dogs review tools.
"TOO LOUD would give zero stars if I could"
"string trimmer loses points because I'm not allowed outside while anyone's using it but also isn't very loud. two of five stars"
"like most plumbing tools, this basin wrench is often used low to the ground where I can come annoy the human using it. 5 of 5 stars"
"same kind of handtruck used by my mortal enemy, the UPS driver. avoid!"

Let's be real nothing that can't fit in your mouth is even getting a rating

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Yeah two-strokes suck butt to deal with, not much of a mystery there why people would jump at any opportunity to replace one with some poo poo that may or may not actually work

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I just poke a nail down the end of my .22 like a rifle grenade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

drat that's a good question actually, I've only recently had to adapt to life without the ancestral Big Bucket of Random Hardware and it's harder than I'd expected