Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I got a pretty extensive and quality DeWalt kit for Black Friday a few years ago but the Makita track saw is so, so tempting.

I have a feeling I'm going to be a two-battery-system man against my will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I'm looking at entering Nailer Town (pin nailer and brad nailer) and what's holding me back from the battery ones is cycle time and price. Those things are expensive if they come from a well known brand, and still not cheap if they're not.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Dr. Despair posted:

I’m noticing the same thing with the dewalt I just got, I’m thinking about smoothing out that lip with a 3D printed part, some epoxy, or even some hot glue to get rid of the lip in one spot to make it easier to empty.

I've got one too, I did the hot glue option the first day I got it. Maybe in a year or two I'll want to peel it out and re-apply it because it'll probably get funky but it works great.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

NomNomNom posted:

One of the dewalt portables can take a dado and has a decent fence. Pretty much every other entry saw blows and is downright dangerous.

I think that this is a little less true than in the past. The Metabo one is quite good and also has a decent fence, and as much as I pause in writing this it looks as though Harbor Freight's new Hercules uses the rack and pinion fence and has a bigger table (OSHA required I think? So a lot of the portable manufacturers may be refreshing their models).

I've used the DeWalt as well as my Metabo and they're within epsilon of each other, IMO. And the Metabo goes on some wild sales sometimes--bought mine for $300, list price $569.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Any thoughts on some obvious ones I'm missing?

What do you intend to do at yonder workbench? Like, as a woodworker, the missing tool that jumps out at me is "a vise" (not a hand tool, but as useful as any!) and it'd probably necessitate some modifications to the bench. But that's only if that's actually your thing.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I need to pick up a brad nailer and a pin nailer, both pneumatic. I don't want to go super cheap (the Arrow ones have a reputation for jamming and bending the driver, I'm reading?), and I'm willing to spend a few bucks; is there a pressing reason to buy, like, a DeWalt or a Metabo over something cheaper like a Porter Cable? Are there significant build differences once you get out of the ultra-budget range?

Some people say they really like the Ridgid "clean drive" and that it actually does jam less, but it's 2021 and the internet is mostly lies, so I have no idea.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Thanks for the nailer advice, y'all.

As far as miter saws go, I think the laser guide is pretty handy (though no replacement for setting a stop, IMO) so long as you are working indoors. The one on my old saw wasn't very visible against light wood outdoors. I've heard that the drop shadow guides are better in bright light and more accurate, but I haven't used one.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

nitsuga posted:

Any suggestions for a miter saw stand? I think it’d be nice if it could tuck away, so I’m guessing I’m looking at portable ones in that case. Really only need it occasionally, but I could spend a bit more if it was worth the money. Some possibilities are below.

Ryobi: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Universal-Miter-Saw-QUICKSTAND-A18MS01G/205642391

Wen: https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-Collapsible-Rolling-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-3-Onboard-Outlets-MSA330/306588128

I've got the Ryobi stand. I would not buy it again. It's not bad but just get one with wheels.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

If you need more length, I'd just get a free-standing support. I use these and like them.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242

EDIT: vvvv Stops are a good call, but that's why I'm building mine into a bench that runs the full length of the shop wall. Shift around the other bench tools and get a solid 15' of clearance, with dogs the whole way.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 16, 2021

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Khizan posted:

For something like a brad nailer I think battery wins hands down. If I just want to tack up a bit of trim I don't want to have to drag the compressor into the house, fire it up, and deal with the hose, only to have to reverse the entire process to put everything away after doing one strip of trim. I actually have a compressor powered brad nailer and the last time I could have used it I ended up doing the nails manually with a little 7oz hammer and a nail set just to avoid that process.

I have my pancake compressor within arm’s reach at the moment and the plans for the shop are to have a (small) installed one with hoses out towards the workspace. And all that’ll probably be cheaper than buying two battery nailers (I’m in DeWalt land, RIP my wallet). I get why they’re so expensive, but they’re really expensive by comparison.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I got the Skil ($279 right now at Lowe's) last week week because I snapped and decided I was done paying a lawn guy, and I'm delighted with it so far.but I have a feeling I'd say that about any electric mower these days? What was keeping me on paying somebody was years of memories of slinging around a filthy heavy all metal mower and these things are just so light and easy and fold up compact.

The blower I got is really nice, too.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I use a Ridgid 6 vac behind a Dustopper as my dust collection for now and it's pretty great. I have a 14 gallon DeWalt that I'm not happy with at all and when it finally croaks I'll get a Ridgid 12 or something.

For portables I actually liked the Harbor Freight battery powered one when I borrowed it from a friend. Cheap and the batteries aren't expensive. But if you're already in a better platform I'd guess they're all pretty similar?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

For what it's worth, I really love my 2.5-gallon Milwaukee. It's still not on par with the (drastically cheaper) 14-gallon corded Ridgid that I use for most stuff in the house, but it's loving great for a portable shop vac. I used to have a 6-gallon Ryobi One+ and that was also pretty good, although it guzzled battery power for some reason.

I personally own the DeWalt 2 gallon one so I'm definitely on that train with you. Mentioned the Hercules mostly because I haven't seen the DeWalt in stock in my area in months. Also you kinda have to put some silicone caulk inside the edge of the DeWalt or it becomes a permanent crap trap, which makes it harder to recommend, but once I did that this thing has been amazing.

Also the Skil blower I got with my lawnmower and trimmer is suddenly the real MVP when I realized I could open the garage door in the shop and just blow all the crap out the front.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Deviant posted:

Any recommendations for an inexpensive miter saw for someone who just needs to cut up 2x4s, trim, quarter round and the like now and again? Was thinking 10" sliding?

edit: i'm looking at this guy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y6TTYCR/ref=emc_b_5_t

I have this saw. It cuts good.

If you don't need to cut larger pieces (or do so infrequently that you can just flip the board) I'm not sure you need to pay for a slider, though. That said, the build quality of the Metabo 10" slider is way better than the static one (which was my first miter saw and is now just a portable chop saw for pressure-treated wood). I like using the slider one while the other one makes me swear. So it may be worth it if you appreciate that sort of thing.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mr. Mambold posted:

Swears are part of construction and woodworking in general, I've found. However, a tool that forces a habitual swear is *not* a good tool. It is, in fact, a goddamned bad tool.

In fairness, my swearing is mostly related to the non-slider's dogshit pretend attempt at dust collection. I don't expect miracles on a miter saw but I expect at least an attempt. It's why I keep it for pressure treated stuff though, because I don't have to lug my nice one outside and I wouldn't be caught dead cutting that stuff inside.

The slider does okay with a bag and surprisingly good with a vac.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Motronic posted:

Then you get into tool truck brands where they cost a million dollars because tool trucks don't actually sell tools and boxes, they sell financing. Stay away from those.

I've wondered about this for a while. These are all franchisees--they have to be absolutely imploding in any market that understands at least one (1) internet, don't they?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

tater_salad posted:

I love my grrripper. Makes sure all fingnats are in place and keeps kickbacks at Bay.

Also really nice on the router table.

Danhenge posted:

I'm curious about general thoughts on tool storage?
I haven't done it yet so I have no idea if it's a good idea, but I'm going to be putting up French cleats along my walls. One of my walls is over a 12" stone foundation kick-out so there's not much else to do with it but cabinets or French cleats, but I like the idea of some reconfigurability and easy access. I can also put cleats on the side of the under-bench cabinet for temporary/transient usage--bring over the screwdrivers, chisels, etc. and stick them under one side of the bench or whatever. I have no idea what I will actually want, so set up to have all of it.

(Also I'm shooting video in there so having wall-mounted camera/light arms on cleats lets me share them between my recording studio and the wood shop, but that is not your ordinary concern.)

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 19, 2021

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Elem7 posted:

Seems to get forgotten about but Makita also has sliders where the rails are in the front not the back, much like Festool, and they're available cordless.

Metabo HPT too. I really like mine.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

FCKGW posted:

Anyone have any experience getting an extension cord replaced under warranty? I bought a Rigid extension cord 2 years ago that literally exploded (fire shooting out and everything). It's a nice cord and should have a lifetime warranty on it, but I can't find anything on Rigid's site about how to get warranty replacements for anything other than power tools.

HD doesn't sell this anymore so getting it swapped might be tricky.

Things that aren't tools usually fall under their "Limited Lifetime Warranty", and current Ridgid extension cords sold by HD fall under it now. You can call Ridgid (or One World or whatever they're called) and talk to them about it.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/limited-lifetime-warranty-2

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Oh hey, the Skil tablesaw has a rack-and-pinion fence now too. Didn't when I bought my Metabo HPT. Did a patent expire or something? Everybody's ditching the lovely fences now.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

more falafel please posted:

The sliding feature means you can cut significantly wider boards, but the sliding rails stick out the back on all but the most expensive models, so it takes up more space.

The price on zero-rear-clearance is starting to come down. Metabo's 10" slider has zero rear clearance (it's why I bought it) and it's $350. DeWalt's regular 10" slider is like $500, the same price as the Delta with the robot arms.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Harbor Freight has this set of four nested toolboxes for under $20 that I picked up. The big one is where I stash my paint supplies and the smallest one is where I stash my sharpening stuff. Haven't figured out the other two yet.

Also I bought a Makita track saw so now I'm a two battery color man...and also it comes with a couple Systainer boxes so I might find myself a reason to grab a few of those from Tanos too.

I hate money. But I like organizing!

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

more falafel please posted:

Metabo HPT has one now, and Ridgid is selling a rebranded copy of the Delta now.

I have the Metabo HPT one, and it's pretty nice. Dust collection isn't terrible, but I'm going to put a secondary fence on it to be safe.

Ridgid is selling a bunch of Delta rebrands now. The 36-725T2 is being sold at HD in fetching orange now. When I saw one in the store I literally went into reverse gear and took a step backwards to make sure it was what I thought I was looking at.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 5, 2021

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

i HAVE A CUTE LITTLE BATTERY POWERED DEWALT BUT I DON'T THINK IT WOULD BE GOOD FOR YOUR USES. iT'S SMALL, MORE LIKE A GROWN UP DUSTBUSTER THAN A SHOP VAC. i HAVE ALWAYS HAD GOOD LUCK WITH RIDGID SHOP VACS AND THEIR SMALLER ONE IS GREAT, BUT NOT CORDLESS. i WOULD THINK SHOP VACS SUCK TOO MUCH JUICE TO MAKE GOOD CORDLESS VERSIONS?

E: whoops capslock!

That battery powered DeWalt is, with an aftermarket extension thingy, my go-to for dealing with all the goddamned dog fur exploding off of my husky at all times.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Motronic posted:

Bits are consumables. People who have problems with bits don't realize that. Buy a whole pack of the ones you need for a project and pitch them as soon as they start camming out/show the least bit of damage.

On top of that, I found that I just stopped damaging bits at all when I switched over to square and Torx bits for everything I build myself. I'm not worried about longevity but it just happens.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Bondematt posted:

Everything! And a few of those things competently!

...which ones does it do competently? I've only ever heard of them as all-failing death traps.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah, I bought one a couple weeks ago. I love that saw.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Rufio posted:

I'm changing my answer to radial arm saw

Somebody here, volunteer your viscera for the task

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I have the Husky metric/SAE combo set of pass through ratchets and they're pretty good for $60 or whatever.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Ooh thanks that's just what I needed. Kind of strange that it's not available in store or to be shipped, only available via their delivery service.

HD is doing that more and more with items from their site. Amazon model I guess - cheaper to ship to your house than to ship to a pickup point (unless there's the scale for it and I doubt HD has it).

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

This is a very specific ask, but if I wanted to make small engraved brass plates, what do I need? There are a lot of options but I really just want to make small screw-in plates no bigger than 3” x 1”.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Literally A Ghost posted:

Depends on how many. Just a few? This could be accomplished with a few hand tools and a Dremel tool to do the engraving. Hell if you're just doing text just get a set of letter embossed punches.

Just a few, and just text. Letter punches look like a fun thing to have around regardless. Thanks!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

For label making, get any Brother P-Touch, a waterproof tape, and never look back. Unlike the kind that emboss, they don't tend to separate from the surface over time.

I have a P-Touch.

I'm not putting P-Touch labels on furniture that I make.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Now I'm buying a laser cutter. Thanks thread.

(Not buying it today, but now it's on the list.)

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

SkunkDuster posted:

Why get a laser cutter when you can get a laser cutter CNC router combo? I've never used this one but it looks pretty good from the youtube videos I've watched.

get out of my headwallet, charlesskunkduster

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mine is split pretty evenly between "same as HD", "more expensive than HD", and "less expensive than HD" for Milwaukee. Anything same or cheaper is a win because they're closer and they have a rewards program, but they also don't carry as much stuff.

Mine's a Festool dealer.

I have not been strong.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I bought a table with a lot of holes in it and a great tilty rail for my track saw and I'm in love and we're getting married in March.

I am at peace.

EDIT: in love with the MFT, sorry if that wasn't clear

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 2, 2021

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

deimos posted:

Get a GVS Elipse. Similar protection to 3M in a more compact package. I wear it under my welding hood without too much issues.

I've been interested in these masks (GVS doesn't make them, there are a bunch of rebrands, but I'd be down to try it), but I can't seem to find OV/AG cartridges that work with that particular model - just their more normal-shaped model, the GVS467 and a few other model numbers.

Probably good for woodturning as OP wants, but worth keeping in mind.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I have the 10" Metabo HPT slider and it's great. Unless she's going to be cutting really wide stock, that one is probably fine.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

For a few bucks more you can get the same mask with a quick release lever for the straps. I won't go back.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

me your dad posted:

Thanks. She probably won't be doing super large projects so I think the 10" should work.

When I say "less capacity", fwiw, I mean "I can only cut one 2x12 at a time". It's more than fine for basically anything most people will fine-woodworkishly do. I've only gone big on it when doing carpentry crap in my house, like cutting long, tall boards for garden edging and stuff.

One of the particular benefits of that saw (and why I bought it) is that it's zero rear clearance, so it can just butt straight up against a wall. Saves a lot of room, but if you're not used to miter saws you might not realize it can do that.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I've got DeWalt stuff because of a Black Friday sale but I also just picked up a 12V drill, impact, and oscillating tool from Skil for $149 to give to my little brother now that he's graduated college and they seem thoroughly okay for homeowners. I might get that set myself to keep in the house. Putting an oscillating tool in that set is kind of brilliant.