Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

KKKLIP ART posted:

I ended up doing the Dewalt DWE7491RS. 10 inch, accepts a dado with the correct throat plate, and the stand is pretty heavy duty and collapses and has big rubber wheels. I do t have a shop, only a small shed, so being able to get it in and out was a must.

This saw is fantastic for a jobsite saw. My only gripe is the miter slots are that weird angled dovetail kind and some styles of adjustable width miter runners do not play well, but full height runners work fine. I just picked up a sheet of HDPE and cut to size.

I 3d printed a hose adapter for my shop vac and it negates like 95%+ of the dust without the blade guard, probably would get almost everything if I threw that on and figured out a y splitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

FogHelmut posted:

How quickly does that run out of air?

We shall see! It’s been too rainy/humid to even bother with a cardboard test/calibration run, so once there is some sunshine I’ll give it a shot and report back. Worst case I get my mom to bring up the 60-gal compressor from my late dad’s workshop on her next trip, that should handle anything I throw at it. I even already put in a new gfci circuit/outlet in the best spot to stow it in the third bay.

He wanted me to have any tools of his from his massive workshop that I would find useful, literally a dying wish. He sold his huge, awesome sable saw and was about to order a SawStop when he got diagnosed with aggressive cancer. He taught me so much about using tools safely and being a handy person that the best thing I can do it pass that spirit on to my kids.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 8, 2021

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

devmd01 posted:

We shall see! It’s been too rainy/humid to even bother with a cardboard test/calibration run, so once there is some sunshine I’ll give it a shot and report back. Worst case I get my mom to bring up the 60-gal compressor from my late dad’s workshop on her next trip, that should handle anything I throw at it. I even already put in a new gfci circuit/outlet in the best spot to stow it in the third bay.

You probably ought to just call mom then. If an HVLP sprayer is high volume as the name indicates, a pancake compressor is not going to cut it. They're fine for using an airbrush.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Any recommendations for an inexpensive miter saw for someone who just needs to cut up 2x4s, trim, quarter round and the like now and again? Was thinking 10" sliding?

edit: i'm looking at this guy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y6TTYCR/ref=emc_b_5_t

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 9, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Deviant posted:

Any recommendations for an inexpensive miter saw for someone who just needs to cut up 2x4s, trim, quarter round and the like now and again? Was thinking 10" sliding?

This often goes on sale for much less

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-15-Amp-10-in-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw-with-LED-TSS103/306939218

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

this is the other one i was looking at, thoughts on the wire wings vs the metal ones, etc?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Deviant posted:

this is the other one i was looking at, thoughts on the wire wings vs the metal ones, etc?

They're too short to make a difference either way if you're cutting something long.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Deviant posted:

You don't need a slider for that, but that's a nice saw for that price. So maybe you do need a slider.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

next week

next week I get a miter saw :getin:

I got a miter saw :dukedog:

:doit: :doit: :doit:

Yeah it’s the 780 and not the 779, but I got the $599 price tag down to $519 using Home Depot’s price match guarantee with a deal I found at another place online. Even better, the $519 deal was TAX-FREE, and I somehow managed to sweet-talk my HD into excluding the tax on my price match too. I have no idea how I pulled that off since Home Depot’s price match policy doesn’t cover sales tax exclusions, but I did it.

So basically I saved about $130 total on what would have been a $648.42 purchase. I know it’s still more than what I would’ve paid for the DWS779 without the klurf laser but………. DAMMIT SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME I DIDN’T DO A FUCKUP HERE!! I actually felt kinda proud of myself for this. :(

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

I. M. Gei posted:

So basically I saved about $130 total on what would have been a $648.42 purchase. I know it’s still more than what I would’ve paid for the DWS779 without the klurf laser but………. DAMMIT SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME I DIDN’T DO A FUCKUP HERE!! I actually felt kinda proud of myself for this. :(
Nah, your heart clearly wanted the kerf laser, and sometimes you just need to get the tool you want.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

I got a miter saw :dukedog:

:doit: :doit: :doit:

Yeah it’s the 780 and not the 779, but I got the $599 price tag down to $519 using Home Depot’s price match guarantee with a deal I found at another place online. Even better, the $519 deal was TAX-FREE, and I somehow managed to sweet-talk my HD into excluding the tax on my price match too. I have no idea how I pulled that off since Home Depot’s price match policy doesn’t cover sales tax exclusions, but I did it.

What's up team yellow big saw buddy :bandwagon:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Deviant posted:

I have this saw. It cuts good.

If you don't need to cut larger pieces (or do so infrequently that you can just flip the board) I'm not sure you need to pay for a slider, though. That said, the build quality of the Metabo 10" slider is way better than the static one (which was my first miter saw and is now just a portable chop saw for pressure-treated wood). I like using the slider one while the other one makes me swear. So it may be worth it if you appreciate that sort of thing.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Swears are part of construction and woodworking in general, I've found. However, a tool that forces a habitual swear is *not* a good tool. It is, in fact, a goddamned bad tool.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

Swears are part of construction and woodworking in general, I've found. However, a tool that forces a habitual swear is *not* a good tool. It is, in fact, a goddamned bad tool.

*kicks Ryobi belt sander over and over and over and over again*

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i think i'll probably just wait for the ryobi to go on sale unless the matebo is notably better. I've seen the ryobi as low as $180

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

*kicks Ryobi belt sander over and over and over and over again*
So its not just me, right? It's impossible to keep the goddam belt on, right?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

stealie72 posted:

So its not just me, right? It's impossible to keep the goddam belt on, right?

No matter how light of a touch I take on that stupid yellow wing nut thing!!!! :argh:

Honestly I just needed a sander that day and wouldn't usually slum it like that but it was like $35 at the home Depot and welp.....

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I've been wanting to get a rotohammer for a while now. I'll mostly be using it with a clay spade bit to dig, though I do have some other uses for it. I borrow a rotohammer or demo hammer from work on occasion to do this sort of stuff around my yard. I don't love the idea of spending a couple hundred bucks to keep from having to use a pinch point bar to dig, but I hate using that thing. I have 2 questions about this. 1) is there a better tool I can look for to help me dig in hard clay soil? 2) is buying a new gen battery powered rotohammer a bad idea? Should I buy corded? I don't expect to need to use the thing for 8 hour days at a time, and I currently have an opportunity to buy a cordless one for 35-40% off retail, but only have one (moderately large) battery for that battery system

Edit: the demo hammer I borrow from the office is corded, so I have no frame of reference for how a cordless one works compared to corded. It's also way too big for my needs and is a pain to borrow regularly.

Xenix fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 10, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

KKKLIP ART posted:

What's up team yellow big saw buddy :bandwagon:

How do we differentiate Makita from Bosch? Team Blue vs. Team Blue/Red?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mr. Mambold posted:

In fairness, my swearing is mostly related to the non-slider's dogshit pretend attempt at dust collection. I don't expect miracles on a miter saw but I expect at least an attempt. It's why I keep it for pressure treated stuff though, because I don't have to lug my nice one outside and I wouldn't be caught dead cutting that stuff inside.

The slider does okay with a bag and surprisingly good with a vac.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ROJO posted:

Makita isn’t Team Blue, it’s Team Teal.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

and it's still the best drill, driver and leaf blower i've ever owned

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Deviant posted:

:respek:

I can't stop buying Makita tools.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

:respek:

I can't stop buying Makita tools.

i love the leafblower for day to day cleanup driveway poo poo, but the best use so far is my roommate said to me:

"hey, i have a work meeting tomorrow at 2pm i dont wanna do, can you just make a bunch of noise so i can claim my landlord is being a gently caress and drop off/mute?"

to which i said "yes, yes i can."

and that is the story of how my makita leafblower got a tour of the living room and bedrooms

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

ROJO posted:

You don’t, but one for 18v and the other for 12v like I did. :colbert:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Deviant posted:

i love the leafblower for day to day cleanup driveway poo poo, but the best use so far is my roommate said to me:

"hey, i have a work meeting tomorrow at 2pm i dont wanna do, can you just make a bunch of noise so i can claim my landlord is being a gently caress and drop off/mute?"

to which i said "yes, yes i can."

and that is the story of how my makita leafblower got a tour of the living room and bedrooms

Good thing your roommate doesn't have NVidia Voice.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Deviant posted:

Drill, driver, circular saw, oscillating multi tool, sawzall, jigsaw, and angle grinder here. Just don’t show them my dewalt miter saw, they might get jealous.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I. M. Gei posted:

Lmao. Days later and I still love this quote.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

I bought that 90 degree drive yesterday. Used it exactly once to drive a 6" lag screw, and now I can't get the loving thing out.

Anyone else have this issue, or is there something I'm missing to get this out? I'm considering bringing this whole thing back to Lowes and bitching at them that this piece of poo poo broke my hammer driver.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I bought that 90 degree drive yesterday. Used it exactly once to drive a 6" lag screw, and now I can't get the loving thing out.

Anyone else have this issue, or is there something I'm missing to get this out? I'm considering bringing this whole thing back to Lowes and bitching at them that this piece of poo poo broke my hammer driver.

What’s the attachment method? Is the locking system jammed? Try getting a narrow spanner on the exposed part of the hex and wiggling it back and forth.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's probably a tighter fit and/or has a burr on it so the clamp thing in the chuck isn't releasing. Pull the collar out on the drill and with a wrench (even a small adjustable) on the shaft of the attachment and wiggle. Also try pushing it further in with the collar out.

Put some silicone or dry lube in the drill chuck to help with this in the future.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Using a 90° with a hammer drill strikes me (don't, please) as very unsound fundamentals. Like you're begging for something bad to happen to the shaft.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

Using a 90° with a hammer drill strikes me (don't, please) as very unsound fundamentals. Like you're begging for something bad to happen to the shaft.

Sure, but I'd expect the gears that make the 90 to be the things that get destroyed. The shaft part that goes into the hammer drill is the same poo poo you put into a hammer drill with basically any other bit.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

Sure, but I'd expect the gears that make the 90 to be the things that get destroyed. The shaft part that goes into the hammer drill is the same poo poo you put into a hammer drill with basically any other bit.

I think it's detrimental to use a drill that hammers horizontally to have that force exerting practically oscillating in the socket- which word I should have used instead of shaft. I mean that's why the thing got stuck.

Or I could just be woofing. <sjhrug>

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Try putting the driver in reverse (or forward, whichever is opposite from how you had it) and hold the end of the 90 adapter with a pair of pliers. Don't go crazy, but a few light dugga-duggas in the opposite direction usually loosens those up for me.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

B-Nasty posted:

Try putting the driver in reverse (or forward, whichever is opposite from how you had it) and hold the end of the 90 adapter with a pair of pliers. Don't go crazy, but a few light dugga-duggas in the opposite direction usually loosens those up for me.

Tools: Don't go crazy, but a few light dugga-duggas in the opposite direction usually loosens those up for me.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I've had a Makita lock up just like that and it was addressed with the aforementioned duggas

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Have you given it a little tippy tap on the collar with some pliers or a hammer?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Rufio posted:

Have you given it a little tippy tap on the collar with some pliers or a hammer?

As they say, "when in doubt, hammer it out".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

El Jebus posted:

As they say, "when in doubt, hammer it out".

Also, when in need smoke some weed. Not tool related but still good advice.