Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Anubis posted:

So, if you have questions on which ratchet to buy or if you want to caution others about the ever dipping quality of Craftsman tools

Their quality may have dipped, but their warranty hasn't! Free replacements are always nice, especially decades later when that tool now costs twice as much. It also applies to garden tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Drill Doctor 750X ($130 if you shop around)

This is the absolute best tool I've ever had for sharpening drill bits. It can even do the back cuts for 137 degree bits. What's even better is their customer service. The first one I got was off alignment slightly and had to RMA it. They cross-shipped me a brand new replacement for free. For a $130 tool. Awesome.

My only complaint is that the manual is confusing at times. I recommend the DVD version they include over the paper version.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ASSTASTIC posted:

I've heard this from various people as well. Where did you get yours? This might have to been on my birthday list.

I think I got mine from either Sears or Amazon. It looks like Sears has it on sale online, google shopping says they have it for $128.56 shipped.

edit: poo poo, Sears does have them for sale until tomorrow, $109.99 with in-store pickup available.

edit2: double poo poo, it's a great time to buy one! Get a free sharpening wheel!

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 28, 2011

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

stubblyhead posted:

OK, so dumb question time. What's the difference between an impact driver, an impact drill and a regular drill?

regular drill = turns drill bits and anything else that can fit in the chuck
hammer drill = same as a regular drill, but also delivers forward impacts. Many have a setting to turn off the hammer action and become a regular drill
impact driver = delivers a bunch of quick rotary impacts to free stuck fasteners

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 2, 2011

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

echomadman posted:

Can anyone recommend a Dremel type tool that is not a bucket of poo poo? Gone through a few cheap generic ones and they lasted ok for their ~€20 pricerange but all broke in under a year.
Just recently i treated myself to a genuine Dremel and it loving exploded within a few weeks, not impressed, i could have bought 6 or 7 cheap ones for the same price.

I've owned a single Dremel for years now. What the hell are you doing with them that they break so easiliy? Maybe you should step up to a larger tool...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Welp, my old 19.2V batteries for my Craftsman drill finally gave up the ghost. Should I replace them with more NiCd/NiMH's, or step up to Li-Ion's? Does anyone have experience with both kinds? I know if did, I'd need a new charger as well.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

iForge posted:

There is one review on Harbor Freight's site but its hard to judge value off one review...

Actually you can, from just the name. Pretty much everything Harbor Freight makes is junk, that's why it's so cheap. They fill the niche between "rental" and "HOW much for a new one?" Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from them that could blow up in my hand.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Slugworth posted:

I was not aware that a hook driver was a thing that existed. I wish I had found out sooner..

I just use the box end of a wrench.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

With respect to not buying a ratcheting screwdriver set, shouldn't I buy a set of screwdriver tools in some form so that I'll have random torx bits should I ever need them? Or was my original idea okay and I just need to avoid the ratcheting part?

http://www.wishpot.com/product/craftsman-7-pc-torx-dual-material-fold-up-hex-key-set---46003/13534854

Sears also makes a foldup version for tamperproof torx if you need it. I suppose you could use tamperproof torx in regular torx screws, it just wouldn't be as strong.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I thought Craftsman is chinese as well

Most Craftsman hand and garden tools are still made in the USA. Their power tools however are not.

Antinumeric posted:

Ok I've been looking for a tool - A compass that is a ruler with one end a point that the ruler can rotate around and the other a sliding marker. Does anyone know the name of this? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

You're looking for a "beam compass", specifically a graduated one. There are measuring tape variants also.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 22, 2011

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Reggie Died posted:

That's weird because at the Home Depot's I frequent, I'm always bombarded with 18 different blister packs of Dewalt bits, some with drill bits, some with impact bits...it's kinda crazy.

YMMV, but my philosophy is bits are cheap, but are expensive to replace. If I'm on a job site and don't have a #1 Robertson, it's a waste of 30mins to go buy one. I bought a Milwaukee blister pack with a storage unit (mainly for the storage unit) and just replace all the bits in bulk from the lumber yard.

Drill bits are a bit different, and I'd spend the money on those. I prefer Irwin and Rigid for value/price, both drill and spade bits.

You might want to ask in the Metalworking thread too. I got a feeling that they can offer good tips on bits to buy. They helped me get a good set of American made cobalt steel bits. They were expensive, but worth every penny. My Drill Doctor works great for sharpening my bits too.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Man, I have no idea how carpenters did their jobs before circular saws became common. My arm would fall off before I even built one wall, let alone an entire house!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I say a bench vise is the best clamp you will ever need. :colbert:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I discovered that Craftsman doesn't even make tape measures anymore. I guess they needed more shelf space for their Super Adjustable Ratcheting Flex Full Polish Cross Force wrenches?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

stubblyhead posted:

I've always been rather partial to Stanleys myself.

Well, as a matter of fact, Sears offered to exchange my old Craftsman for a Stanley of the same length. We'll see if this one's brake doesn't... break.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

WashinMyGoat posted:

Depending on what you are looking to spend, the jump from Stanley to the Stanley Fat Max makes a world of difference. However, if you can get your hands on a Stabila tape measure, they are well worth the money. I have one at work, and it can stand out over 6 feet without bending. It's dual read (measurements on both sides of the blade) in English & Metric. My favorite features are the grit on the hook(so it doesn't slip off what you are measuring) and the shock absorber on the case, so if you let the blade return too fast, it doesn't bend or break the hook off.

http://www.amazon.com/Stabila-30327-27-Feet-Tape-Measure/dp/B0061ZZRCO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1361045282&sr=1-1&keywords=stabila+tape

Oh I got the Fat Max. One thing I don't like about it though is that it doesn't have the 16" graduations for studs like my old Craftsman did, and I suck at the maths.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kid sinister posted:

Oh I got the Fat Max. One thing I don't like about it though is that it doesn't have the 16" graduations for studs like my old Craftsman did, and I suck at the maths.

Nevermind, it does have the 16" graduations, I'm just blind apparently.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

grover posted:

NIST needs to step in, I think. I just shot an email to them. Probably an empty gesture, but at least I feel better.

Don't forget ANSI and ISO!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TopherCStone posted:

I want a rotary tool to help make scales for straight razors. I don't however, want to spend as much as a Dremel costs. Are there any decent lower-cost options?

Yes, there are. Get a Dremel off Craigslist. Hell, do you know anybody that's dying soon? I swear I've seen a Dremel at every single estate sale that I've ever been to, with tons of bits and attachments. It's a very popular tool and has been standard for so long now that every old fart guy owns one. I would imagine that you would have to wake up extra early to beat the other old farts to the sale.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TopherCStone posted:

The only person I know who's likely to even have a dremel is my uncle, and even if he were to die tomorrow his kids would descend on his place and strip it bare of every fun power tool and car husk.
I'll check craigslist though for sure!

Definitely do that. For some reason, the typical old fart handymen that cut corners like nipping the 3rd prong off of every plug always take immaculate care of their Dremels.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

I bought a set from Harbor Freight and haven't had any trouble at all, they were <$30. They're fine for hobbyist uses (which is what I use mine for.)

Oh, funny thing though: OPEN THE FRICKIN' BOX BEFORE YOU LEAVE. Someone had opened the box, swapped out the digital one for a dial one, and then bought the dial box with the digital one inside. That's great and all but then it means I accidentally bought the dialed one at the digital price and didn't realize until I got out to my truck. I returned it immediately, but I'm sure it made me look scketchy, even though I returned that in exchange for an actual dialed one, I never got any money back, really...still, that was the second set I'd bought that day (one was for someone else) so I'm sure it just looked sort of weird. :shobon:

Wow. How cheap do you have to be to steal from Harbor Freight? That's like shoplifting at the dollar store.

edit: I think I just invented a new "yo momma" joke...

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 6, 2013

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Anubis posted:

Ace stores tend to be independently owned

Yes they are. You can't even rely on being able to return products purchased from one store at another. Typically, it will be allowed between stores owned by the same franchisee.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
One thing to keep in mind for taps is that the recommended hole diameters are weird and all over the place: imperial, metric, lettered, you name it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ntd posted:

Does anyone have an impact driver bit set they can recommend? I don't need too much variety, a couple of phillips sizes, a few sockets, basic stuff. A few different lengths would be great, but really I'm just interested in something that is good quality. If there is a brand or product line you can recommend I'm happy to assemble the pieces I need, I don't need a prepackaged kit.

Basically, my wife destroyed 4 or 5 of my phillips bits in about 15 minutes this weekend while using my impact driver :xd: (I destroyed 1 non impact rated bit, but that was after my last impact rated bit was destroyed)

What are you trying to remove that the screws are that stuck? I would say gently caress it and drill out the screw instead.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Does anyone here know small engine repair? My string trimmer is giving me fits.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

What kind of fits?

I posted this in AI but nobody responded... Anyway, my string trimmer will only start on full choke, will die if you give it too much gas too fast once it is started and switched back to open choke, and once you have it running the kill switch is merely a suggestion. It likes to flutter until it finally decides to stop. It's record is 45 seconds after I switched it off.

So far I've replaced the carburetor mounting gasket, all the fuel lines and the guy I bought it from a month ago claimed he gave it a new spark plug. I also disassembled the carburetor fully and meticulously cleaned it inside. All internal gaskets and other pieces looked in perfect condition too. As for the kill switch, the switch itself rang out just fine with my multimeter for both on and off.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

thegasman2000 posted:

Sounds like an air leak somewhere. Does it have an air filter somewhere ? Sorry I know bikes and cars not harden equipment :)

Yes, it does. It's clean as can be and still operates the same whether or not I have it attached. I don't think it could be an air leak, I gave the carb and its mounting block all new gaskets.

iForge posted:

There used to be a thread in Automotive Insanity but I can't find it so it may be gone.

Is this the thread you were thinking of?

edit: the CI guys referred me to that thread too

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 25, 2013

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

asdf32 posted:

Oscillating Multi Tool (M12, makes a good small finish sander)

Oscillating tools are very niche in their uses, but I swear they are the absolute most perfect tool in the world for those uses. I used one a couple months ago to make plunge cuts on some baseboards to install some slightly wider return grilles in place while the baseboards were still on the wall.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

johnnyonetime posted:

How about those bubblegum pink countertops?? :smuggo:

You renovated your kitchen and gave it a countertop from the 50's? Or are you a Barbie girl in the Barbie world?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sir Cornelius posted:

Files and some drat nice machettes.

That machete looks like poo poo. It has a terrible grind and that steel doesn't look like spring steel. Get a Kabar, Ontario, Cold Steel, or even a Gerber instead.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Gardening. Technically hacking up brush for wilderness survival, but gardening is as close as most people are going to get to that.

Gardening all the way. I had vines that took over and eventually broke the wood fence behind my house beyond repair. A machete was the perfect tool for the job. 24 bags of yard waste later, all the ivy, vinca and wild grapes were gone. It took me a couple weeks to break up the fence into small enough pieces that the trash men would take. I was dumb and started this project right after bulk pickup day.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sir Cornelius posted:

Actually they're kind of acceptable, unlike Cold Steel and Gerbers. I don't know what you consider "spring steel", but they're made of ANSI/IEEE 420A with an acceptable heat threatening (and totally useless for springs).

You're correct in stating that they're not fantastic, but mentioning a bunch of poo poo-brands does not really make me accept you as an oracle of machete information.

A real good equally priced ANSI 420 machete is made by Carl Julius Herbertz http://img2u.info/ckgni/i/gfcbc3a9b.jpg

You got me, I meant a high carbon spring steel like SAE 1095, which you can heat treat. SAE 420 is stainless, which is a lot harder to sharpen. Maybe you like playing around with yours, but I like mine to cut completely on the first stroke every time. Sure, it might rust, but you should always take good care of your tools. As for that 420 rigidity, that blade could break if you hit the wrong thing with it.

Also, I think Cold Steel and Gerber are lovely too. I was trying to make a point.

edit: I could see owning a stainless machete if you live on the coast.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 4, 2013

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
In addition to all this machete talk, I should really stress that cutting anything with a machete is about 20% tool and 80% technique. Even if your machete is sharp enough to make Danny Trejo blush, if your form is off at all, you'll barely make a mark. There's also some stuff that just plain won't cut unless you hit it from the right angle. Oak branches come to mind. You can't cut them straight across. You need to cut them at a very sharp angle.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

rotor posted:

dont care much for the one I have now, if anyone's got a solid, reasonably priced one I'm all ears.

How's this? The same one used by the US military for over 60 years. It doesn't come with a sheathe though. I got one myself. My only gripe is that the handle on mine wasn't that great from the factory. The handle is two plastic pieces riveted together through the tang. On the one I got, the handles weren't lined up well to the tang, leaving a gap. Squeeze your fingers and palm into that gap, then swing that machete into something hard and you'll pinch something. Now multiply that by a few dozen swings. I fixed mine by giving the handle a few wraps with friction tape.

Ontario also makes another model with a finger guard if that's your thing, with a choice of 2 designer colors: black and safety orange!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Looks like an excellent way to round off corners.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Blistex posted:

Sliding? Pffft! This is the 21st century! Everyone knows the future is "Gliding"!

They make a sliding miter saw you can place on a workbench against the wall now? Awesome.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd still say that the biggest problem you ran into is NiMH battery chemistry. Compared to lipos they are absolute dogshit. I raced power tools RC cars back before lipo was a thing and NiMH was a definite improvement over the NiCd garbage, but ultimately still had most of the same problems; hot packs would have horrible performance, so the only realistic way to get a full charge out of a pack was to start with it pre-charged and have a new pack for each full charge you want to use. It would take you forever to get a full charge into a hot pack, and trying to do so was a good way to kill your batteries too.

Lithium packs, on the other hand, can be recharged much, much faster without overheating or damage, and will deliver more usable power over the charge cycle. A NiMH pack at 25% charge is going to be quite noticeably weaker than one at 75% or 100%. A lithium pack will feel just about the same from 90% to 5-10%.

That said, I'd expect even high-capacity lithium packs to have trouble keeping up on a workload like that.

Heh, that reminds me of resurfacing a deck a couple years ago on a 100 degree day. We would swap out our NIMH batteries for the one on the charger, and when the second drained and we swapped back, the first battery never even started recharging yet. We ended up needing to run inside to put the old batteries in the freezer to get their temps down to a point where they would take a charge again.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 1, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Blistex posted:

Ah! Giving crappy tools a German name. . . classy!

Hey, that always worked for beers, right? Right?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Mr. Despair posted:

I ordered almost 3 grand in tools the other day (to outfit a new lab in my department), and I just got word that everything is shipping soon.

But that the tool chest is shipping a week after everything else :negative:

What kind of lab has $3k of tools in it? Do you wear white coats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Mr. Apollo posted:

Any suggestions for a decent cordless inspection camera? I'm running some cabling behind drywall and it'd make my life easier.

Looking around they all seem to be more or less the same.

Been there, done that. Fireblocks are straight up evil. That being said, seeing cable in wall cavities and and cable past obstructions are two different things. Do you have fish sticks?