Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

JEEVES420 posted:

That was me too :) so simple and cheap, such a vast improvement. Hang the key fobs from the blast gates and never forget to open/close again.

They're awesome! We use them at one of our stores for the Open sign hanging from the top of the 10 foot window. Now our employees don't need to risk life and limb climbing on lobby chairs to stretch out and flip the rocker switch on the side of the sign.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I say sent it into Fluke too. The probes on my 87V test at 0.2 ohms. I suppose that you could use Relative mode in the meantime?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Oh geez. I assume you all have heard of the Harbor Freight jack stand recall from a few months ago. Well, it turns out that the jacks that HF replaced those recalled jack stands with, have been recalled.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/har...ectedly%20drop.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
How pressed are you for space? If you got a 2 car garage, then you should have the space to get a regular fiberglass ladder. That is a light, insulating ladder to protect you and important bits from a shock. If not, get a folding one.

Seriously, the only advantage a folding ladder has over a traditional one is if you have zero storage or if your home is some tight cornered labyrinthian maze. Folding ladders are that much of a pain to set up.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
My house is weird. It has plaster on rock lath, so all the walls are an inch thick. Stud finders are a suggestion. I gave up and just measured over from electrical boxes.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You quoted a 6 month old post to reply with a goatse joke?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
This is interesting. USB-C rechargeable tool batteries? https://www.xda-developers.com/usb-type-c-power-tools/

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Craigslist or FB Marketplace? Also, look up the chainsaws by make and model if you can. Look for any stampings or metal tags riveted on. I bet the missing parts are still available. They didn't turn up in other boxes or bins?

Edit: that last tool appears to be a sliding compound miter saw. They're sold by the blade diameter they take. They cost more than regular miter saws.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 1, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

Milwaukee radial arm saw seems like a good snag, pretty sure that's what the second photo is

Radial arm saws hang and are floor/bench mounted. That's a sliding compound miter saw.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Trabant posted:

Hand Tool Rescue is taking tools to strange new places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHk9mRS-Ilo

Maybe he's making Philly cheese steak sandwiches?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Rufio posted:

Y'all use liquid nail on residential baseboard installs? Never seen that before.

For actual baseboard? No. For vinyl molding? Yes.

Edit: Wait, I've glued little pieces of baseboard before that were too small to nail without cracking, now that I think about it.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 11, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I saw this on Reddit and it's genius: a homemade contour gauge!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Literally A Person posted:

Depending how handy you are with repairs you can find some gems on the second hand market.

That's how you end up with a rusted out tank that will become a bomb the first time you use it. Air compressors are one of those things worth buying new for piece of mind.

intheflesh, they're more expensive, but they also make aluminum tank air compressors that will never have that problem. Now, water will still collect in them and you should still drain it to maintain your air capacity.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

What's a drill bits worst enemy?

Depends on the bit. For everything except masonry bits, rocks.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
My 20 year old cordless Craftsman drill stinks whenever I pull the trigger now. Before you say "replace the brushes", I've already taken it apart. The motor is completely sealed.

Who makes good cordless stuff now? Something I'll still be able to get new batteries for in a few years is a plus.

Or should I wait for Father's Day?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've never owned a multitool but drat I saw how useful it could be when cutting rusty sheet metal on a car last night, particularly when you don't have a lot of space to move. I think I need to get a multitool now.

Nothing can make a plunge cut quite like a multi tool.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

actionjackson posted:

i really only use a mallet to close paint cans without denting the top too badly though

I just step on them. Rubber is rubber.

Speaking of shoes, did you realize that you're wearing 2 plumb bobs right now? Take off a shoe, hold it by one shoelace.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

That scene makes a lot more sense when you realize that the Terminator was asking if there were weapons readily available in that time that could hurt it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Count Roland posted:

Does anyone have experience with small electric chainsaws?

My mom is big into gardening but is not big or strong. In any case its just tough pruning she wants the saw for, not felling trees. She saw some in-store and loves the idea of being able to use a chainsaw one-handed (which to me seems optimistic and/or dangerous). In any case, its the tiny ones she wants.

This Milkwake one looks like its exactly what she wants but is pricey
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mi...tery/1001560523

Amazon features a zillion mini chainsaws of a different design. Cheap, I imagine the quality is all over the place
https://www.amazon.ca/Chainsaw-Cord...1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Any suggestions?

Try a reciprocating saw with a long wood bit. They're much safer to use one handed. Plus they come cordless.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Vim Fuego posted:

What is this plastic piece of junk that came with the cheap soldering iron I just bought? I'm about to throw it out but I thought I should check first. It doesn't fit the set screw that holds the tip in and I can't see a use for it. Anyone know?

It could be an alignment tool of some type. Is there any hex on it?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Doesn't hold a candle to Maryland.

That flag is real loving wild.

Bah. St Louis takes the cake for city flags.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Due to space my gluing top is my table saw.

Ain't no shame in that. The table saw is the kitchen island in most workspaces.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tater_salad posted:

Cordless glue gun is great because you can just turn it on and not trip over the cord ..

I actually generally use my Ryobi inverter and a 4ah battery to power my soldering station for quick jobs because it also is nice to not trip on the cord running to my work surface

Check out the new portable soldering irons like the Pinecil. They're USB-C powered, so you don't have to deal with DC->AC conversion. You'd be able to plug in directly with newer power banks.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 6, 2024

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SpeedFreek posted:

Is there a good source for tubing and tube fittings I don't know about?

I was being stupid/lazy and kinda smashed the tubing and compression fittings coming out of one of the tanks on my air compressor, triage was able to slow the leak to the point I can use it. Mcmaster has exactly what I need but it aint cheap, HD/Lowes/Menards have terrible selection in 1/2" and worse websites.

You answered your own question with McMaster Carr, unfortunately.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Always just lurked this thread but had something today I wanted to share. I was replacing my kitchen sink faucet and the plastic nuts underneath were all jacked up and I couldn't loosen them. I got my wife a whole Dremel kit for her crafting projects for Christmas. It was a pretty nice set that came in a nice toolbox.

Decided to see if there was something in there I could use, turns out it has the flex shaft which was very useful. And there was actually a little 2 flute endmill in there, which was unexpected.

In any case, I used that little endmill to cut those plastic nuts in half. So yea, Dremels are awesome.

Next time, use a basin wrench. You'll be glad you did.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There are also non-battery-powered electric chainsaws, but of course then you have to be close enough to an outlet to use them.

And you have to worry about cutting through the cord by accident.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Literally A Person posted:

Four words: Cartridge. Actuated. Nail Gun.

:blastu:

"If only there was a way to hammer my nails into concrete! Maybe if I use a blank and just shoot the sucker in..."

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You need that mini chainsaw that AvE uses to open packages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FuzzySlippers posted:

my watch claims it was 109db but I dunno how accurate the watch is. It’s definitely in the vicinity of rock concert loud

I need a compressor that knows 3 chords.