Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Have you considered 3d printing something then using your planer ( I am assuming you bought one by now) to pare it down to the right size?

Or maybe epoxy?

Seriously I'm not seeing anything a 2x4 and a hammer won't solve. If it won't squeeze in, just chisel it down a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Or a spray foam?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm confused about what's going on here I guess. It doesnt seem to me that you would need a huge block of wood or whatever in there if you are just trying to block dirt.

Where does the 8ft come into play?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

So you're installing a bottom board across the entirety of the fence line, correct? And you only need to tuck the board a little bit behind those posts to create a barrier, right? So you can just chisel a little bit off the end of the board and tuck it in, or probably just hammer it in since its so close. Why trim the entire board?

Okay so kerfing the board with a circular saw over 1.5in is too much effort? I dunno man. Sanding 1/16 to 1/8 off is way more effort than that.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

At this point I'm thinking it's better to just demo the fence and start over.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

So was the whole thing a troll?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm a red boi myself but I recently bought a battery powered Surebonder glue gun (natively takes Ryobi bats) that came with a Ryobi to Milwaukee adapter. Anyone use these adapters to run actual tools? I'd love to pick up one of the cheap green brad nailers if I don't have to invest in green batteries.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I was just wondering about this yesterday since my workshop is an insinuated metal building. People seem to use all kinds of different oils. Lie-Neilson suggests jojoba oil. From reading others' impressions it seems like WD-40 is a great product for the job, some people just don't like lots of hand contact with it. I'm interested to hear what some of y'all use.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Any tracksaw havers in this thread? I am looking at getting the Makita but I was wondering about the tracks themselves. Do you really need to have the 8ft track for full rips or is it okay to just combine two tracks? I can't see the 8ft being shipped to me undamaged and also lugging/storing that bastard around the shop seems like a task in itself.

Re: battery ecosystems:

I've always been a red boi myself but here I am about to dip into Makita just because they offer a product that Milwaukee doesn't have in the track saw. However the system has been great for me for professional work. The only Milwaukee product I was disappointed in was the autofeeder+drywall screwgun. But I was also using 2" screws so it could've been user error.

Ryobi tools are alright for diy stuff and the prices are great especially on their nailers, but they do kinda feel cheap when compared to other brands.

Around here all the old framers have dewalt, other trades have milwaukee, and for some reason I don't see much Makita.

Rufio fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 9, 2021

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

We've heard about cordless blower now let's hear about cordless vacuums. Anyone try the Milwaukee packout m18 vacuum?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

You can pry my m18 hackzall from my cold dead hands

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Those little giant ladders are heavy as gently caress and full of pinch points. For general use i think the best bang for buck (and space) is a 6ft or 8ft fiberglass A-frame depending on your height and how comfortable you are on a ladder.

Its easy to hang an A frame on the wall in a garage or something so it's really not bad to store.

If you ever see yourself getting on your roof, you may want to add a 20ft extension ladder to your collection.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm normally a Red toy boy, but I pulled the trigger for Ryobi days on the 8in pruning chainsaw.

My battery set doesn't come in for a couple days so I'll finally get to test my 18v Milwaukee->Ryobi battery adapter on something other than my Surebonder glue gun.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'll let y'all know how well it works. I wanted a one handed pruner to trim some branches from a neighbors tree that hang over my fence. It's kind of awkward for a pole saw and I felt this would be a step up from the sawzall.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

You're talking about their pole saw? I got one a few years ago after giving my buddy my electric as payment for helping me down a massive bradford fuckpear.

They're kinda underpowered, imo. Kinda interesting the way the pole links 2 cables together to power the chain. It is a full 8' though, if that's consolation (it is for me) and I've cut some fat branches with it....just need to be patient. Also a lovely little wrench for tightening the chain and no slot or anything to put it. Strap is useless too. And it does have a bar oiler, so.....

Nope the little 8in mini chainsaw looking pruner. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-One-8-in-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Pruning-Chainsaw-Tool-Only-P5452BTL/314799961

It looks like it'll do alright for what I was intending, standing on a ladder and trimming some branches intruding on my fence. I'll find out tomorrow. Looks like it might be useful to throw in the truck for drive up camping too.

Rufio fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 24, 2021

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Have you given it a little tippy tap on the collar with some pliers or a hammer?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Small patches? Cut a butterfly with a piece of sheetrock by cutting the back side paper and peeling off the rock from the front paper about 2" all around. No need for tape with this method, just bed with hot mud then skim with premix. Make sure when bedding to get a little mud under your paper to make it stick really well then skim it out.

Large patches? Screw some 1×4 along the outside edge to the adjacent rock and use then screw your patch to that.

Don't use the beveled edge unless you're butting to a bevel.

If no factory edge, I like to take my razor knife and shave off the corners so it's nice and smooth with no loose paper.

I prefer fiber tape for patches and paper tape for new rock w/ beveled edges.

Best thing to do is just keep your passes nice and thin. If you are doing this in your own house then time is on your side, don't be afraid to take 3 or 4 passes on it.

Don't be shy about floating out well beyond the borders of your patch. Remember to use your knife as a guide for where you've got spots to fill. When making a pass, angle it slightly when you are pulling your mud to put more pressure on the outside of the patch.

Edit: as far as texture goes...good luck. Textures can be extremely unique to the installer. Something like a simple knockdown or orange peel can be done pretty easily but it still may not blend super well.

Rufio fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 25, 2021

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

They'll never be able to simulate an old carpenter grabbing your drill to straighten out your grip.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

wrap the clamps in painters tape

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

Amazing, thanks for all the info y'all! I didn't even know that mitre and bevel were different types of cut! :derp:

I think I'm leaning towards something like this sucker. It comes with a stand too, for very little additional cheddar, so I think it's a pretty good deal.

I have this exact setup and it's serviceable but not great.

The stand kinda sucks. It's heavy and awkward to move around. Also the set screws (or more specifically the threads in the tubing) that hold up the workpiece wings are awful and will fail.

The saw itself is fine as long as you understand that because of the slider it isn't particularly compact. You can't set it all the way against a wall.

For the price though, it's hard to beat.

I think I'm gonna save up some dough for a 12" zero clearance slider. Bosch makes a great looking one but it's like $800. The Delta also looks pretty sweet.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I wanted that Milwaukee vacuum to be good so badly.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I went to an appliance repair/refurb shop once to look at fridges and ask the dude about his opinion on appliances. He showed me all the very recent LG and Samsung models he had. He said why in would these be in my shop if they were good units?

His advice was basically to always buy as simple as possible.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Sockser posted:

I have the big 12” Delta “slider” (it’s got the arms like a Bosch glide) and god drat if that miter saw doesn’t fuckin rule

Is this the Cruzer? I've really been wanting to see one in person. Also for it to be in stock somewhere.

My local HD has the Bosch on display and it really is a thing of beauty, but it sure is a big SOB. And pricey!

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Tools: Zen and the Art of Chainsaw Maintenance

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

wandler20 posted:

Just a heads up, Amazon has a bunch of Dewalt tools on sale today. Cordless and corded. DWS715 12" Miter Saw is only $199 or $299 with the stand.

I just bought a used one for $175 so I'd like to think I made this sale happen . You're welcome.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

There are so many common tools used in hospitals it's wild

I just finished an autopsy and we used a pair of Grainger needle nosed pliers, the common blue/yellow vice grips, scotch Brite pads, and regular ziplock sandwich bags

My wife tells me that oscillating saws are very often used in the OR.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

You could use a CNC router to break down your boxes into decorative patterns

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Would a chipper take care of boxes or would it gum up the works too much?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm changing my answer to radial arm saw

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

Does anyone make a ratcheting dog bone wrench anymore? I have a Craftsman one I bought many years ago and it’s nice to not have to break out a socket set for a lot of smaller things. I was thinking of giving my brother one for Christmas but it looks like they’re not a common tool anymore.

Husky makes some ratcheting open end and closed end wrenches.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I bought a used DeWalt 12" single bevel recently because the sliding 12" and other newer 12" saws are all so goddamn huge.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Your coworker is a dipshit

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Fein not on the list, also garbage.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

deimos posted:

Kinda are for dust extractors. They created the tool class and are behind almost every brand on practical tests.

I got the Turbo 1 and I'm very happy with it. I wasn't super happy about having to pay an extra $99 for the accessory kit though.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

Lucky for me Milwaukee makes the best of every tool

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Milwaukee domino joiner and track saw when?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Does Milwaukee have an m18 fighting knife yet?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

The only wisdom I can bring to knife fight chat is that you shouldn't let your opponent know you've got a knife until it's in them.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

What's the best box cutter for carving a turkey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I thought older Ryobis had the same style batteries of the old DeWalt 20v and have since changed. Am I crazy?