Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Solution, point the heater at the tanks. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Weka posted:

Cheers all, I've asked in the woodworking thread. Looking for something with a full tang and steel buttplate so that rules out all of the posted options I think.

Get a set you like, break off the handle casings, and mod them to your specifications?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rutibex posted:

lol $1000 is a deal. I guess its dowels for me :negative:

Can't find the graphic anymore, but someone (years ago) made a visual chart where they would take a Festool tool, and then show what comparable quality tool you could buy, along with how many accessories for the same price. The best was either the Router and a Bosh router, router table, plunge base, guides, and a 50 piece blade set, or the RO Sander and Three Makita RO sanders.

Still, the Domino system is apparently the biggest furniture-making game changer out there.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SpartanIvy posted:

The battery powered leaf blowers are way quieter than the plug in and gas ones. Definitely worth the investment just for that in my opinion.

It's because they're usually 1/4 to 1/50 the power of corded and gas powered units respectively. Think very carefully about that before dropping money on one.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm honestly curious what the "noise premium" is of a gas-powered unit compared to an electric unit. That is, say you had an electric unit that was as powerful as a regular gas unit; how much louder would the gas one be?

People who don't wear ear protection . . . Wear ear protection when operating gas blowers. (the real ones and not the kind that are glorified weed whackers with a blower).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone recommend a good paint sprayer that has interchangeable nozzles for painting with thin-thick paint/finishes that runs off a compressor, is decent and won't break the bank?

Mostly furniture work, so gloopy cabinet paint will definitely be on the table.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is your cabinet paint solvent/lacquer based? IME most pneumatic spray guns don't work all that well for spraying thick heavy house paint kind of paint, but they do well with clear or tinted lacquers (which dry much faster, but need some special precautions because the solvents are quite flammable). Even with the biggest tip in my pneumatic HVLP gun it struggles a bit with really thick lacquers, but it leaves a very nice finish. What's your budget?

If you're spraying thick paint, I think an airless sprayer is what you want. Graco makes some small, hand-held ones that someone recommended me a few pages back.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3384038&pagenumber=322&perpage=40#post513491249

Probably should have been more specific.

I'm mostly going to be doing enamel cabinet/trim paint when it comes to the thicker end of the spectrum. I would prefer to get a nice decent finish without having to thin it to the point where there's more mineral spirits than actual paint. Most of my clear finishes are poly (oil and water based).

I grabbed a cheap sprayer off amazon (gravity fed compressor style) and it did a good job for a while, but its performance steadily declined after every job, despite thorough cleanings before and after each one.

I think I'm leaning towards a LVPS.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 30, 2021