Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Sorry if this has been beaten to death already, but any recommendations for after market 20v drill batteries? I hate paying for a branded one, but also don't want it to immediately die and/or catch on fire. Are there any unbranded batteries that are decent or just worth it ponying up for a brand name one? This will be going into a Craftsman Bolt-On, but it seems like there is a lot of battery interchangeability there.

*Edit* well crap, got a Workmate 225 from Lowe's (like $20 less than everywhere else) and one of the latches was busted out of the box. Since I'll be returning it is that still a good option for $50 or are there better ones these days in that range? Or anything else I should be looking at for $50 for someone starting their tool collection?

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Not as cheap as when Lowe's was clearancing them out but still just dropped. Are these any good? Tight on space in my garage so the folding is pretty appealing, but not sure at what cost that comes.

PORTER-CABLE 10-in 15-Amp Single Bevel Laser Folding Compound Miter Saw https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07839S471/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uLMTCbWEPP3DR

*Edit* Just saw the cheaper price was on $20 shipping. Bleh.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
I don't know enough about jointers but $65 sounds crazy low for this. Am I just off?

https://waco.craigslist.org/tls/d/kopperl-cleaned-out-the-shop/6900299754.html

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Until looking around after I didn't realize how cheap bench top jointers were, probably cost that much just to replace the cutters.

For light work are they too awful? Like this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-6-Inch-10-Amp-Corded-Benchtop-Jointer-with-Filter-Bag-and-Depth-Scale-6559/308758986

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Had my eye on their drill press too, noted.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

I need to buy some decent forstner bits but the sticker shock gets me every time so I resharpen my crappy ones and swear at them instead.

Was eyeing a few options and don't use them enough for sharpening to deter me, what brand do you have?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Is there a reason why there aren't table saw fences available made for something like this?

https://youtu.be/21u4bou930w

I assume there must be something decidedly unsafe or another huge flaw for someone not to just market a fence with a cutout for the blade and raised outfeed, but I'm not seeing it.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Figured there was a reason for that, thanks for the sanity check.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Picked up one of those worm drive Skil saws that went on sale for $120 at Home Depot, man that thing is a beast. Serious lifestyle change having the blade on the left side.

Also, am I crazy or is this significantly quieter than a regular sidewinder? I guess maybe the metal housing dampens the noise a lot better as well as lower rpms, *shrug* I'll take it, my other circular saw was obnoxiously loud.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Any reccomendations on a first router? I can see myself using it for mortises so plunge sounds appealing, but if there's a solid cheap fixed base option I'm all ears too.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Is the WEN 4208 really that bad as a first drill press? It's on Amazon for $81 right now and I've got about $55 in reward points dropping this month, not worth bothering with for $26 actual dollars?

WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQONFVE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IrrEDb44SE1BR

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 11, 2019

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I got it for forty bucks and at that price I would recommend it, but I have to think there are better options in the vicinity of eighty.

Adjusting the table is annoying and the press doesn’t have a great depth capacity, so it’s frequently necessary when changing bits. It’s not the easiest to clamp onto.

It had no problem drilling ten-millimetre holes through mild steel, but I did stall it with dull forstner bits in hardwood. The motor gets hot after a few minutes, but I couldn’t smell it so it was probably within acceptable limits.

Actually just saw it only has a 2" range, consideringing I want to do mortises that doesn't sound great. Any reccomendations on Amazon that are better?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
My Japanese style Irwin Marples saw is officially pissing me off. It's actually possible it cuts more on the push stroke than pull, about ready to toss it.

Thinking of getting a saw I can sharpen myself to avoid that from happening, any reccomendations for a good tenon style saw? Or if budget is a factor is it better just to get any old miter saw and sharpen the blade right away?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
On the note of table saws, how does this one compare?

SKILSAW SPT70WT-01 10 In. Portable Worm Drive Table Saw https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AX4B7I6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nQyTDbWWTEJ6H

I was shocked at how much quieter my worm drive circular saw was compared to my other sidewinder, would that apply for this as well? Did just go off sale for $310, but I will say a rack and pinion fence sounds nice.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Finally used an impact driver for the first time today. Sold.

Are hydraulic ones worth the extra money, or the regular brushed DeWalt 20v for $99 probably the way to go?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Re: those Howard Leight Impact Pro muffs really don't block a ton of noise on their own. However they work well for double plugging. Regular foamie plugs with those on top turned all the way up amplifies enough to let voices through fine, then gives you plenty of protection when they cut out. Haven't done that with tools, but lots of shooting like that.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Speaking of flattening, have a old Stanley jack plane I restored but still need to take care of the sole. What do you guys like to use for a flat surface? Have a roll of sandpaper that will work well, but seems like all the tiles at the store I check aren't really flat. Or does it not really matter and just use something close enough?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Seems like that's a go to, but no table saw available.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Showing $220 here, weird.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Speaking of Home Depot deals, how's this? Specifically compared to a DeWalt 745.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-10-in-Pro-Jobsite-Table-Saw-with-Stand-R4514/309415135

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Trabant posted:

A random recommendation for pretty much anyone who needs to shape wood freehand (:wink:). This thing:

is easily worth many times its asking price, and you might even be able to find it for less elsewhere. Easy to use, removes material very quickly, and lets you do some interesting (if not super-tight) curves. Just an excellent tool.

Thanks, had my eye on it for a while. Have a 4 in hand right now and it's almost unusable.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Was able to snag this for $89, how'd I do for a first router purchase?

https://slickdeals.net/f/14037095-ymmv-lowes-metabo-hitachi-router-with-plunge-base-on-clearance

Any recommendations for budget router bits and are 1/2" preferable?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

Not bad at all. It's a decent router. I picked up a used one & case for chump change and I like the variable speed and graduated startup.
There's lots of different sets of bits available, you don't have to go for the priciest, you do want to get carbide. And in most instances where the bit needs to hog more than a trifle, a 1/2" shank is far preferable, yes.

Any recommendations? Would like to avoid dropping 200 right off the bat on Freud bits, but don't want to buy complete garbage either. Typically I'd think Harbor Freight for a cheap consumable to start off with but I have a rule if it can fly off and kill me not to go with them, imagine router bits fall into that category.

*Edit*. These ok for a starting point?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079F34T71/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_xf1TEbQB0RTY4

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 10, 2020

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Currently don't have a bandsaw but the flexibility it has interests me. Saw this posted on CL for $275, that sounds really high for what a used 14in bandsaw should run. Worth picking up and if so what should I offer? No fence and no quick tensioner so I assume it should be a lot less than the $275 listed right? Boards are expensive where I'm at so being able to resaw 2x material sounds good, this would be way better than buying a similarly priced 10in right?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

That says Taiwan made, which is typically pretty good quality. And it looks similar to the Grizzly, likely the same factory which used to import from Taiwan. A fence is optional with bigger bandsaws; that size, you're not buying to rip material typically. And you can clamp a straightedge and have a fence if you need to resaw. But, if you're thinking that resawing 8/4 lumber to get 2 pieces of 4/4 lumber is cheaper, no way. The opposite is true.
Idk what a quick tensioner even is, my 50 year old Delta doesn't have one. This is totally in a different class from a 10", which is babby size. If the motor could rewire to 240v, so much the better to resaw.

Pricewise, if it runs smoothly and the tires are in decent shape, it's a good deal for this saw, imo. If you can talk him down in price, so much the better for you, but I wouldn't die on that hill. Check out Grizzly's online catalog if you want to compare.

Only real source for lumber I've been able to find is big box stores, so the cost for a 1x board is out of sight compared with what it would cost for 2x material and resawing in half. That plus I'm currently doing rip cuts with a circular saw and a straight edge so this would probably be an upgrade for the rough cuts.

Sounds like assuming the wheels are in ok condition and the motor runs should be able to get a good deal here, cool. For a fence just planning on screwing plywood together for a 90 and then clamping to the table so if a quick tensioner isn't make or break i can definitely live with that. Comparing this to a Rikon 10in seems like it would probably work out way better for what I need for less.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 28, 2020

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

JEEVES420 posted:

Where around Waco are you(I see that is in Blum)? $275 is great price for a solid 14" around North Texas as you normally see beat to poo poo Deltas for $450+. There are also a ton of mills around but take some searching to find, a lot of farm boys with trailer mills.

edit: Your profile says Richardson, I am in Carrollton. Dakota Hardwood, Central Hardwoods, Hardwood Lumber Company, and McKinney Hardwoods all have no problem with walk ins/small orders and most will let you pick through the stack too. My go to is Dakota usually best price and anything over $300 has free delivery. There is Loyd up in Plano planomill.com if your looking for slabs.

That's about a decade old at this point, down in Hewitt (Waco suburb) now. There is a mill in Valley Mills which I need to stop by at some point, but sticking with Southern Yellow Pine until I get better at this and can start dropping hardwood money.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Any recommendations for a high quality hand saw? I'll be mostly using it for crosscuts on hardwood when I don't feel like using the powered miter saw.

This might be more of a question for the woodworking thread so I'll post it there too.

Started off with a Irwin Marples Japanese ryoba and haaaaaated it.

Recently got the Spear and Jackson 10tpi panel saw though off Amazon and loooooove that thing. Also got their tenon saw and haven't had a chance to do much with it, but so far after sharpening both for a rip cut and taking out some of the set on the tenon saw really liking them. Wanting to get the 7tpi full length handsaw for breaking stock down, the panel saw is working great but would like to make bigger cuts a little faster.

Panel saw
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043YN9BQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_eAofFb9GFQ48A

Tenon saw
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043YHJQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_NAofFbAKDMA2V

Next on the hit list
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043YN9CK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fBofFbWR19R75

Needed to upgrade off that Irwin ryoba stat, and typically would hit up estate sales, but with covid putting a damper on those these have made for some really nice options for not much more. I would think a triangle file and a quick sharpen are mandatory, but that's like $5 and 5 minutes.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 20, 2020

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

JEEVES420 posted:

Item Dimensions L x W x H 252 x 65 x 11.8 inches

:raise:

Lol, not quite. 22in long which is big for a panel saw, but a hair under 252, and I haven't measured the plate but it's probably shy of 5 feet.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Anyone have any experience with the Porter Cable 14in band saw at Lowe's? I keep striking out on craigslist deals, and this caught my eye since the 1.5hp motor seems like an outlier at this price point. Will keep looking out for a used one on CL, but if that comes up on sale first may snag it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-13-625-in-10-Amp-Stationary-Band-Saw/3162487

Missed out on a 14in Grizzly anniversary saw for $200 by about 5 minutes in my estimation. I was not thrilled.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Man, now you’ve got me trawling Craigslist looking for a bandsaw too... always wanted a 14” model.

If you’re buying from Lowes and it’s full price, you could save 55$ on that with a lowesdeals.com 10% off coupon.

Porter cable used to make good tools, but they’re pretty much a zombie brand now afaik. Dunno who makes it, probably the same saw as HF. But 500$ isn’t a bad price either way I’d think.

That plus a discounted Raise gift card is what I'm thinking. Probably hold off until a price drop hits though, 550 seems like the high end of what it's been listed at.

Definitely not a HF saw at 1.5hp vs 1hp, and has some different features so it's probably a clone of something else.

Speaking of the HF saw, am I crazy for thinking that wouldn't be a terrible option either? Ideally I'll find a cheap CL posting or that Porter Cable, but is there anything inherently wrong with it? Seems like if you can set up the blade and guides correctly and balance wheels if necessary not a whole lot else to go wrong with a band saw that can't be easily fixed. Someone please stop me.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Re: band saws, after rounds of getting burned and sold out from under me finally found a craigslist saw. I wasn't planning on spending $500, but for a Rikon 10-324 I couldn't be more excited. Was worried about not getting a saw with enough resaw capacity for me and whoops definitely not gonna be an issue now. Mobile base saves me a few bucks too, only thing it's missing is a miter gauge.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

How you likey your Rikey so far? Does yours have a fence?

Yeah came with a fence, although no resaw guide but I think I can manage. Had a pretty long drive to get it so haven't made any cuts yet but just setting it up can't really believe this thing is in my garage. Quite a step up from anything else I have.

As mentioned the bottom guides are incredibly fiddly, the lower guide doesn't even have spring loaded bearings so a far cry from their 326 version. Crazy it takes two wrenches and an allen key to adjust all the guides, but considering it's got a 14 amp motor and 13 inch resaw capacity.....I think I can live with that.

JEEVES420 posted:

FYI, they don't come with a miter gauge new.

Does the mobile base wider footprint make less top heavy feeling? I ended up putting a bag of cement that solidified on the bottom shelf to help balance it.

Just rolling it around the garage it didn't seem too bad. Rolling it down the other guys driveway and over bumps though? Definitely still a little too heavy, but still manageable.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 17, 2020

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
To the Rikon 324 gang I'm seeing some pictures of fences that have a plastic nub on the far end that keeps the fence from rubbing on the table top. Mine doesn't but being used it might have been taken off, does everyone else have the on their fence?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Any suggestions for a simple dust cyclone for a shop vac? Tried the dustopper from Home Depot and I'm sure it's work great for dust, but plane shavings get clogged and everything bypasses the cyclone. Thinking about trying the dust deputy but it seems expensive for what it is. Don't need anything crazy, just something that runs off a shop vac that can handle some dust and shavings.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Looking at finally getting a bench grinder and saw this pop up on CL. Haven't heard of the brand before, this a decent option?

https://waco.craigslist.org/tls/d/dearing-clarke-bench-grinder-40/7407946992.html

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Bob Mundon posted:

Looking at finally getting a bench grinder and saw this pop up on CL. Haven't heard of the brand before, this a decent option?

https://waco.craigslist.org/tls/d/dearing-clarke-bench-grinder-40/7407946992.html

Buried as the last post on the last page, but any thoughts on this grinder for $40?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Good to know, thanks. Figure if I'm patient might be able to score something older that's high quality so will hold off.

I'm not seeing many with adjustable angle tool holders, is that not common except for higher end grinders?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

When you do chemical rust removal with vinegar that bate metal will want to rust drat near immediately. My go to is to just have some simple mineral oil around so when you take it out of the bath and rinse it off you can just immediately dump a bunch on there and it'll keep it rust free.

Gun oil has some additional rust inhibitors you don't get with something like mineral oil too.

Trickier to pull off the full oil bath that way though. Harder to come across these days but if you want to give it a good dunk kerosene works really good too, but same with mineral oil doesnt have the extra rust inhibitors.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Brickseek link to give you somewhat of a heads up. It's not 100% accurate but generally pretty good.

https://brickseek.com/lowes-inventory-checker/?sku=1001385562

If your Lowe's is showing it hop on it quick, they are going FAST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
The real frightening thing is that's not the only one available, which tells me there's a market for it.