Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah music quality is definitely the most important here. It will be used with streaming most of the time unless someone is bringing their deck to mess around with. Bluetooth kind of sucks in general. Are there like lightweight music streaming devices I could hook up to the speakers and control via wifi or something?

2.1 is good surround is not important

you probably want the biggest speakers you can fit/afford and a solid sub.

I would recommend you go for a receiver or amplifier with passives rather than self-powered speakers (obviously the subwoofer will be active)— depending on your max budget, your desire for poo poo like HDMI/etc, your affinity for/against various vintages of gear, and your preference for/against thrifting you can build something really nice at pretty much any budget.

I second Mederlock’s suggestion of the Wiim Products (either a Mini or one of the more expensive Pro models that have optical/etc) for an all-in streaming box option, but you have tons of options depending on your receiver, what devices you use to stream music, etc. You could connect an iPad or laptop to a usb cable to a DAC either in or outboard from the receiver and stream music that way. You could plug a phone directly into your receiver. You could buy a receiver with AirPlay built in and use WiFi to stream music from an iOS device or Mac to it. You could use AirPlay via an aforementioned Wiim device connected to virtually any receiver from the last ~50 years. You could connect a NAS. You could connect a Roku box or Apple TV to a television and then run an optical cable from the television to an optical input on an older receiver. Or from the television to an inexpensive DAC to an RCA input on an even older receiver. Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Hey guys, could use a bit of advice on downsizing my system a bit. Five years ago, I went with a pair of KEF Q350s on monoprice stands and a SVS PB-1000 into an AVR-X1400H, all connected to an E8 OLED. I just moved in with my girlfriend, and with the layout of the place, I'd like to go with smaller (and better looking, if possible!) speakers, while possibly keeping the sub.

I'm looking at the KEF LSX II, since I already know I like the KEF sound, and they're small enough that they can comfortably sit on the console below the mounted TV. If I understand correctly, since the LSXs are active and have HDMI ARC and sub inputs, can I get the speakers and ditch the receiver, plugging my devices (Apple TV, PS5) into the TV and then connecting the TV to the speakers with the ARC port? I'm not opposed to keeping the receiver either, but it seems like going with this solution would make life easier for people who don't want to juggle multiple remotes. Are there any alternatives I should consider? I figure this would sound better than a soundbar, at least...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

curried lamb of God posted:

Hey guys, could use a bit of advice on downsizing my system a bit. Five years ago, I went with a pair of KEF Q350s on monoprice stands and a SVS PB-1000 into an AVR-X1400H, all connected to an E8 OLED. I just moved in with my girlfriend, and with the layout of the place, I'd like to go with smaller (and better looking, if possible!) speakers, while possibly keeping the sub.

I'm looking at the KEF LSX II, since I already know I like the KEF sound, and they're small enough that they can comfortably sit on the console below the mounted TV. If I understand correctly, since the LSXs are active and have HDMI ARC and sub inputs, can I get the speakers and ditch the receiver, plugging my devices (Apple TV, PS5) into the TV and then connecting the TV to the speakers with the ARC port? I'm not opposed to keeping the receiver either, but it seems like going with this solution would make life easier for people who don't want to juggle multiple remotes. Are there any alternatives I should consider? I figure this would sound better than a soundbar, at least...

I would keep the receiver and go with something like LS50 Metas. You can buy them as single speakers if you want to do a center channel. They go on sale pretty regularly too.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

trilobite terror posted:

I would keep the receiver and go with something like LS50 Metas. You can buy them as single speakers if you want to do a center channel. They go on sale pretty regularly too.

I can definitely swing the LS50s price-wise! They seem to be a bit bigger than I'd like, but I showed them to my GF and she's on board. We'd just have to put them on the media console - she's not a fan of the speaker stands.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I can definitely swing the LS50s price-wise! They seem to be a bit bigger than I'd like, but I showed them to my GF and she's on board. We'd just have to put them on the media console - she's not a fan of the speaker stands.

Ok but if you want to save money they go on sale quite a bit, and they also pop up on A4L as KEF factory refurbs (basically like new) at pretty steep discount.

If you wanna pop them up higher while they’re on the console you can make/get some basic wood bases pretty easily or grab a pair of yoga blocks from Amazon in the color/material of your choice. A lot of ppl who don’t like the color or finish of foam blocks like them in cork.

Also get them in blue

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

trilobite terror posted:

Ok but if you want to save money they go on sale quite a bit, and they also pop up on A4L as KEF factory refurbs (basically like new) at pretty steep discount.

If you wanna pop them up higher while they’re on the console you can make/get some basic wood bases pretty easily or grab a pair of yoga blocks from Amazon in the color/material of your choice. A lot of ppl who don’t like the color or finish of foam blocks like them in cork.

Also get them in blue

Perfect! I actually bought my entire setup (except the TV and sub) from A4L. It looks like they only have the wireless ones available, but I'm in no rush to buy right now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

trilobite terror posted:

I would keep the receiver and go with something like LS50 Metas.

:agreed:
I like Kef, but I have not heard many good things about their powered speakers. Mostly that the amp fails within a few years, especially with the LSX models.
And then their customer support isn't super great at helping people get their powered speakers replaced or repaired.

Definitely keep your receiver and get the passive Kef ones instead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 12, 2024

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

I’m thinking about getting a decent audio setup in the living room. My use case is probably 60% radio/music, 30% TV, and 10% gaming. I already got a Denon X1700h a while ago, and it has powered a pair hand-me-down Denon SC-X1000 bookshelf speakers. They are fine, but I feel like they sound… flat.

So I’m in the market for some decent passive speakers. I’m looking for bookshelf speakers without subwoofer because it’s a smallish room in an apartment building. The KEF Q350 has a good reputation around this subforum from what I’ve read and they are affordable at 188 Euros a piece (in Germany). Can I go wrong with a 2.0 setup of Q350s or should I be looking at some other options?

Also, would it make sense to go for a 3.0 setup? Dialogue in movies is always an issue for us, because it’s always too soft, and when you turn the volume up, the next piece of music is way too loud. Some people claim that adding a center speaker would help. I’ve seen some advice online that instead of going for an overpriced Q250c/Q650c to just go for a third Q350 lying on the side. Good idea, bad idea?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Since you're in Germany look for deals on Canton speakers, they're generally pretty expensive but they do a lot of sales. The GLE and Chrono/Townus series in particular are a good price/performance balance.

A center can help with dialog or sometimes make it worse. Unless it's just the director being a jerk about it [eg Nolan] speaker positioning has a huge influence on intelligibility. If you can place a center channel pointed at your ears with no obstructions, great. Pushed way back on/in a cabinet or pointed at your knees or the front of a coffee table... less so. Left or right speakers too close to a side wall can cause early reflections that make it more difficult to hear. Unfortunately room acoustics is complicated but you can do a lot for free, don't be afraid to move your speakers around if you can, it can make a huge difference.

I did the three same speakers as my front stage for a while, it worked fine.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Thanks for the advice! I wasn’t aware of Canton speakers. The price history for their speakers looks like a rollercoaster so I could wait for a deal.

I feared it wasn’t as easy as getting a center speaker. I guess I’ll try a stereo setup, do some adjustments as you say, and work from there.

Mursh
Jul 8, 2006
Canadian Passport
After looking around for a while I’ve purchased a denon x1800 with 3 Kef q150s, an SVS pb-1000 and will get 2 paradigm atoms for surrounds shortly (got good deals used on all this) for the primary purpose of watching tv in our living room.

In regards to sound modes on the denon I’m still a bit confused as to whether there’s a standard mode (Dolby, dts neural, dts virtual, etc) I can leave on all the time that will cover the widest variety of regular tv shows that are dialogue heavy. The shows themselves vary but the majority are on streaming services (Disney, Netflix, crave) and occasionally regular tv.

There’s a lot of options to play with including dialogue enhancer. Is there a smarter way than simply try all the options till you figure out what works best? I don’t mind doing that just curious.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just leave it on Straight / Direct / Pure Direct and it will take the audio directly from whatever you are watching and send it to the speakers without any sort of processing that may mess things up.
I think it's called Direct on Denon AVRs.

If you are having trouble hearing the dialogue, the majority of the time it's the actual sound mix itself and not really something you can do too much about besides cranking the gain on the center channel. If what are you watching is only in Stereo and you are having problems hearing the dialogue, well you are SOL and can blame whoever mixed the audio for doing a bad job.
The other times are if you have your AVR set to surround but only have stereo speakers, so it's trying to send audio to non existent speakers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 15, 2024

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Why do AV receivers even include all those processed sound modes? When has anyone ever said "I really need my movie to sound like its playing in an ancient, echo-y church!"

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
For stereo sources I like using Dolby Surround or Auro 2d. I wouldn't use direct mode because it bypasses the audyssey calibration.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Why do AV receivers even include all those processed sound modes? When has anyone ever said "I really need my movie to sound like its playing in an ancient, echo-y church!"

Yeah, it's bizarre isn't it. My yamaha receiver has like twenty different presets , loads of which are stupid, like 'Munich concert hall' or whatever.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

pofcorn posted:

For stereo sources I like using Dolby Surround or Auro 2d. I wouldn't use direct mode because it bypasses the audyssey calibration.

:agreed: , good stereo to surround matrixing (new "Dolby Surround") improves the television/ movie experience a lot but bad matrixing makes it worse. And for music, Stereo is superior unless it's a multichannel music source obviously

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I've always been curious about how effective night mode settings are, since I live in a large apartment building. I have an entry-level Denon so my night mode is fake and only works with Dolby Digital signals. The idea of a setting that turns on a compressor and dips the bass is compelling, but I don't know how good they actually are.

Actually, for the same reason, it would be neat to have a setting that just compressed the bass to use during the day if I want to play stuff loudly. Most of the things I listen to aren't going to have a big bass so a compressor would be nice to only affect the rare times loud bass shows up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's really good and effective on my Denon AVR1911, the Audyssey Dynamic Volume specifically.

I keep it on for general YouTube and videos, and turn it off for movies and music.

Dynamic EQ is also nice for boosting bass and treble at lower volume levels, so you don't have to turn it up to be able to hear the bass.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Perfect Element posted:

Yeah, it's bizarre isn't it. My yamaha receiver has like twenty different presets , loads of which are stupid, like 'Munich concert hall' or whatever.

I mean. Gotta cater to those folks that watch a poo poo ton of theater broadcasts and recorded operas.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

That stuff doesn't really need additional reverb.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

What happened is some time in the 90s when receivers started doing DSP one company added a couple modes that sounded interesting. Then another company looked at that and said "well if they have three modes, we need 5!" and this cycle continued until it peaked around 15-20. I think at this point they're afraid to get rid of them because then they'll have fewer sound modes if someone is cross-shopping models. I don't think anyone intentionally uses any of them, ever.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The only "special surround mode" I use on my ancient Pioneer 1015 is "7ch stereo" :v:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I have a Denon S760H and a Sony TV, and got a very specific problem that maybe one of you has encountered (Google isn't helping much)

HDMI 3 (ARC) is my Denon, and connected to that are my PS5 and Switch.

HDMI 1 has nothing connected to it, but previously had the Switch connected.

About half of the times when I turn on my Switch, the CEC tells my TV to go to HDMI 1, which has nothing plugged in. It was formerly the Switch before I set up the Denon, so it's like my TV is remembering wrong.

I suppose reformatting the TV would work but wanted to save that option for last. I can't find a setting to reset the defunct HDMI port, feeling much like a boomer here.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

smoobles posted:

I have a Denon S760H and a Sony TV, and got a very specific problem that maybe one of you has encountered (Google isn't helping much)

I don’t understand this part. How are they both connected to HDMI 3?

Are you manually unplugging and swapping them?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Through the Denon recviever

Is the switch plugged into the denon HDMI1? Could be passing that through to the TV when it powers on and it sees it’s on port 1 and telling it to switch to port 1

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Oh, I’m sorry, I don’t reading comprehension today, apparently.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

smoobles posted:

HDMI 1 has nothing connected to it, but previously had the Switch connected.

About half of the times when I turn on my Switch, the CEC tells my TV to go to HDMI 1, which has nothing plugged in. It was formerly the Switch before I set up the Denon, so it's like my TV is remembering wrong.

I suppose reformatting the TV would work but wanted to save that option for last. I can't find a setting to reset the defunct HDMI port, feeling much like a boomer here.

You can always try trick-loving the TV into reassigning the port by plugging a throw-away input device into HDMI 1. Run in a few times, then see if it still auto-switches when the Switch turns on.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If I'm going to buy the Parts Express 300W plate amp to replace the dead one in my Hsu STF-2 but the dimensions don't quite match, will that be an issue?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Not if you own a jigsaw.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Not if you own a jigsaw.
Haha I think the Parts Express plate is slightly smaller, so I feel like as long as I can reasonably secure it, it should be fine.

My bigger question was about the fact that air will be allowed to pass through the gap. It’s a ported sub so air is passing through but it wasn’t designed with that airflow in mind.

In terms of electrical wiring, will there just be a red and black lead I can twist together?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If there's an air gap that will be an issue, whether it's ported or sealed. Your best bet would be to make an adapter plate out of some MDF or decent quality ply, using the old amp's plate as a template, and route/jigsaw a hole large enough for the new one. 6mm or imperial equivalent would be fine if we're only talking a few mm of difference between the old amp and the new one. Add some rattle-can rustoleum black and you'll barely see it (also doesn't need primer, always best choice for speaker backs etc where you don't need a gloss finish).

If you're short on space between the screws for the new plate and the original plate you can always screw the adapter plate in from the inside of the sub using some short screws and using the route for the new amp for access, and then screw the new amp in from the other side.

If you find it still leaks air, the original plate may have a gasket or something to prevent air leaks that you can re-use - otherwise a bead of silicone around the inside edges where the adapter plate and the original cavity meet will sort that without looking gross.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Well my Pro-ject Carbon turntable seems to have died. It's making a buzzing sound I can't get rid of using all the normal ground loop fixes. Tried new cables and speakers. This sucks!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Do those have a preamp or could it be your preamp?

Also turntables are so simple that if you can’t get it serviced by them there’s probably a repair shop that will fix it if you live in a decent size city

Also I assume you’ve checked the headshell, cart wiring etc

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Dogen posted:

Do those have a preamp or could it be your preamp?

Also turntables are so simple that if you can’t get it serviced by them there’s probably a repair shop that will fix it if you live in a decent size city

Also I assume you’ve checked the headshell, cart wiring etc

It's got a built in preamp. I opened the little screwbox the RCA and USB outlets are in but didn't want to mess with the wiring. Tried reconnecting the cartridge and stuff yeah. Definitely going to look at getting it fixed as it's just too expensive to replace.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Sorry mate that sucks.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Perfect! I actually bought my entire setup (except the TV and sub) from A4L. It looks like they only have the wireless ones available, but I'm in no rush to buy right now.

Update: A4L just got a bunch of KEF refurbs in stock, so I grabbed the LS50 Metas in white (gf-approved color)!

They also have the KC62 available in each color, and I admit I'm tempted. Has anybody compared it to the SVS 3000 Micro? I currently have an SVS PB-1000 (the old one); either of these would be considerably smaller and more gf-approved.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Update: A4L just got a bunch of KEF refurbs in stock, so I grabbed the LS50 Metas in white (gf-approved color)!

They also have the KC62 available in each color, and I admit I'm tempted. Has anybody compared it to the SVS 3000 Micro? I currently have an SVS PB-1000 (the old one); either of these would be considerably smaller and more gf-approved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdp3MN43OWo&t=289s

Timestamped to where he compares the Kef and SVS. He starts with frequency response and then goes into CEA 2010 data while explaining how that works a bit.
He also has a standalone review for the KC62 if you are interested.

Both micro subs are nice, but you are definitely paying a premium for their smaller size. But if you absolutely can't convince your gf to let you continue to use the SVS PB-1000(or try to hide it in a corner or something) then I guess you don't have a choice.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 4, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

About a year ago I updated my TV and soundbar solution, went with an LG C2 and an LG S80QY 3.1.3 atmos bar w/ sub with the intention of using LG’s wowcast thing to combine the TV speakers and the soundbar speakers into a single system. Turned out that LG’s implementation of this is garbage so that didn’t pan out. I’ve continued using the soundbar though, and generally like it but I’m running into an issue and I can’t tell if it’s the TV, the soundbar, my Apple TV, or the apps, but while watching stuff all of the sound is great and fantastic except for the dialogue, which I can’t loving hear for poo poo.

I’m running the ATV -> Soundbar -> C2. I’ve tried night mode on the bar, I’ve tried boosting the center channel on the bar, I’ve changed the preset EQs on the C2, I’ve tried “Reduce Loud Sounds” along with swapping between Stereo and Atmos on the ATV. This happens on shows on Max, Paramount+, and Crunchyroll. I thought about just getting rid of it and doing a stereo pair of HomePods, but that probably won’t work with the PS5 or Xbox consoles.

Is there some other setting I should be looking at or messing with to try to get this balanced out?

Fake edit: just so it’s known, this set up is in a bedroom and there is not enough space for a proper home stereo system or true surround. I’m having to work with the confines of the space I have available and a soundbar solution works much better for the space than a proper multi-unit speaker + av receiver set up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Branch Nvidian posted:

About a year ago I updated my TV and soundbar solution, went with an LG C2 and an LG S80QY 3.1.3 atmos bar w/ sub with the intention of using LG’s wowcast thing to combine the TV speakers and the soundbar speakers into a single system. Turned out that LG’s implementation of this is garbage so that didn’t pan out. I’ve continued using the soundbar though, and generally like it but I’m running into an issue and I can’t tell if it’s the TV, the soundbar, my Apple TV, or the apps, but while watching stuff all of the sound is great and fantastic except for the dialogue, which I can’t loving hear for poo poo.

I’m running the ATV -> Soundbar -> C2. I’ve tried night mode on the bar, I’ve tried boosting the center channel on the bar, I’ve changed the preset EQs on the C2, I’ve tried “Reduce Loud Sounds” along with swapping between Stereo and Atmos on the ATV. This happens on shows on Max, Paramount+, and Crunchyroll. I thought about just getting rid of it and doing a stereo pair of HomePods, but that probably won’t work with the PS5 or Xbox consoles.

Is there some other setting I should be looking at or messing with to try to get this balanced out?

Fake edit: just so it’s known, this set up is in a bedroom and there is not enough space for a proper home stereo system or true surround. I’m having to work with the confines of the space I have available and a soundbar solution works much better for the space than a proper multi-unit speaker + av receiver set up.

Sounds like something is trying to output the sound through the center channel and it's not working for some reason, which is why you barely hear any dialogue. Worst case is that the actual center channel speaker on the soundbar is broken, but that's unlikely.

Is dialogue hard to hear for everything you play? Just on things streamed by the AppleTV? Can you hear things fine from the center channel when using your consoles?

Try cutting out the Apple TV for now and just do Console(or tv streaming app) -> C2 -> soundbar just to make sure that you are actually getting sound from the center channel and that the dialogue is intelligible. Or try changing up how things are connected and running AppleTV -> C2 -> soundbar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sounds like something is trying to output the sound through the center channel and it's not working for some reason, which is why you barely hear any dialogue. Worst case is that the actual center channel speaker on the soundbar is broken, but that's unlikely.

Is dialogue hard to hear for everything you play? Just on things streamed by the AppleTV? Can you hear things fine from the center channel when using your consoles?

I've mostly noticed it enough for it to be an issue on the AppleTV, while the consoles have been generally fine.

quote:

Try cutting out the Apple TV for now and just do Console(or tv streaming app) -> C2 -> soundbar just to make sure that you are actually getting sound from the center channel and that the dialogue is intelligible. Or try changing up how things are connected and running AppleTV -> C2 -> soundbar.

I'll give these a shot this evening after work, thanks. Trying to google search for other people having trouble with this soundbar hasn't really come up with much, which is making me think it's an issue more with how I have things configured. After posting yesterday I tried some other streaming apps and Max is by far the worst of the bunch. Paramount+ can be a little difficult at times, but is mostly fine. Crunchyroll ended up having no problems whatsoever.