Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Avocadoes posted:

Can't really find where to put this question but I think here would be best:

I have a nice pair of headphones which I use almost all the time. However, I've been getting tired of having to be near the desk in order to listen to music or have the phones on in order to play games. I spent about 85$ on these headphones, and dont mind spending a similar or a [preferably] cheaper amount for decent speakers. Are there any 2.1/2.0 speaker systems you guys could think off the top of your head that sound well?

What sort of equipment do you have to drive the speakers ? I'll ask in another way; Do you intend to buy some sort of amp, or do you want some sort of speaker with a built in amp ?

We can help with the first type, but the powered speaker style might best be asked in a computer related thread.

There is also the vintage/stereo thread which can make some recomendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Well for one I totally overlooked the fact you can run them through an amp, and I don't plan to buy one...so I guess my best bet is to check a computer thread. Thanks for the pointer though!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I've been reading this thread over the past couple of days reading up on surround sound.

I'm looking for a surround sound system with the intention of starting off with 5.1 but with the ability to expand to 7.1 at a later date. Purpose is mostly for console gaming (including an old PS2). So, from what I've read, this means I'd need a 7.1 receiver with decent upscaling plus a set of speakers.

With this in mind as well as all the recommendations I've read in this thread, I went to a hi-fi store today, and the guy recommended the following to me after I told him my requirements and estimated price range (AUD$1500-2000, though I'd be happy to pay a extra if I'm that impressed):
  • Pioneer VSX-921 receiver
  • Soundwave speakers (might have been soundware? not too sure, but they look remarkably similar to these ones on amazon, so I'm guessing if that's not the model, it's pretty close)
  • He seemed really eager to push off a bluray player onto me which bumped the price by about $400-$500
Total price of all this was about AUD$2250 and he'd toss in the speaker wire for free.
(Speakers were $799, receiver about $950, bluray about 400-500, he didn't write down anything other than the components and the price for the whole set so this might be out by a little bit. Also if you're wondering why things are so expensive as opposed to the Amazon listings, I'm in Australia)

Obviously I haven't jumped into any commitments just yet, but what I want to know is, does this sound about right? The speakers were quite decent, but I wasn't that impressed, and he didn't really want to show me any other speakers he had available in the showroom.
Should I go to a different store? The only thing I'm not too keen on was his insistence of trying to sell a bluray player and the fact the speakers normally have to be wall mounted, which isn't possible in my apartment (and he wouldn't really show me any other speakers on offer), but aside from that he seemed rather knowledgeable (if rather pushy, but he was nice enough to make sure I knew I wasn't going to pressured into buying something on the spot).

There don't seem to be many companies in my particular corner of Australia that will either allow me to buy directly from them online or at least compare different brands, and the brands recommended in the OP and by others on the first page don't seem to be available in Australia (or I'm not looking hard enough).
tl;dr, went to hi-fi store today, left confused (particularly regarding the speakers) - how do I make sure I don't get completely ripped off?
Edit: On the first page Jonathan recommended some speakers made by Andrew Jones, I think they just gave them a new category number for Australia, but I'm not sure if the shop I went to stocks these or would be able to bring them in.

froglet fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 15, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

froglet posted:

Obviously I haven't jumped into any commitments just yet, but what I want to know is, does this sound about right?

I can't comment on the price but the setup seems sensible (5 satellites, subwoofer, receiver). If you don't need a Blu-Ray don't buy it. It's trivial to get one later on if you change your mind.

The whole point of visiting hifi shops is comparison. If you heard one set and aren't impressed, keep looking. It's you that has to live with whatever you buy, after all.

Can you link to the stores you have available?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

The obvious answer would be major retailers like JB Hi-Fi, Harvey Norman and The Good Guys, but they tend to be lacking in much variety when you're after standalone speakers.

A selection of some of the nearest specialty stores would be:
http://www.simplyhifi.com.au/
http://www.douglashifi.com.au/index.php
http://www.westcoasthifi.com.au

I think next time I'll just go into the store and test out a bunch of different speakers (and not let the guy dissuade/refuse to let me try anything else) and find what works for me. Today I suspect I got a bit confused by his sales pitch and didn't get through to him I wanted to test a few other speakers out before making a commitment, as in the end it's going to be sitting in my living room for however many years.

froglet fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 15, 2011

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You aren't going to be impressed with satellite speakers like those. Doesn't matter if it's Klipsch, bose, Boston acoustics, you can't break the laws of physics. They have their place, mainly to keep out of the way and be cheap. Sound quality and frequency range are not a strong point with tiny speakers.

Because the au currency is different from canadian, I won't talk about budget, however, that receiver is a good one. Are you sure you want 7.1 ? 95% of Blu rays only do 5.1 anyways. You could get the vsx-821 for a bit cheaper and probably be just as happy.

Do you have polk audio speakers available ? The monitor 50-60-70 series could be within your price range.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This is probably a "no", but I figured I'd ask.

Is there a good 7.x receiver that can mix two inputs? Basically, my main computer can send audio to my HTPC. And I sometimes like to do Rifftrax. I just thought it would be cool if I could watch a bluray movie from my PS3 on the TV, but have the receiver also mix in the audio from my HTPC, both will be plugged into the same receiver.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

IUG posted:

Is there a good 7.x receiver that can mix two inputs? Basically, my main computer can send audio to my HTPC. And I sometimes like to do Rifftrax. I just thought it would be cool if I could watch a bluray movie from my PS3 on the TV, but have the receiver also mix in the audio from my HTPC, both will be plugged into the same receiver.
Maybe if you have some sort of karaoke mic jack maybe?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

jonathan posted:

You aren't going to be impressed with satellite speakers like those. Doesn't matter if it's Klipsch, bose, Boston acoustics, you can't break the laws of physics. They have their place, mainly to keep out of the way and be cheap. Sound quality and frequency range are not a strong point with tiny speakers.

Because the au currency is different from canadian, I won't talk about budget, however, that receiver is a good one. Are you sure you want 7.1 ? 95% of Blu rays only do 5.1 anyways. You could get the vsx-821 for a bit cheaper and probably be just as happy.

Do you have polk audio speakers available ? The monitor 50-60-70 series could be within your price range.

The place I went to didn't have the VSX-821, and even if it had been in stock the difference would have been about $50-$100 due to the 921 being on special, so I figured that I'd just pay a little extra.

As far as I can tell, Polk audio isn't kept in stock at most (if not all) stores in my area, and the Polk Australia website seems to indicate their Australian dealer is a wholesale outfit that seems focused upon the car stereo side of things. It's a bit disappointing I go to the shop with the intention of testing out speakers as recommended by reviews I found on the internet to find most of them either aren't in stock, are very rarely distributed in Australia or they only sell the high-end stuff that's out of my price range.

I think I'll just go to another store and test out a bunch of speakers in my price range until I find some that work for me/my room layout (then post a trip report on what I landed up with, I'm sure some other Aussie goon would find it somewhat useful).

Thanks!
Edit: one thing I'm wondering - do all receivers use the same thing for upscaling? My guess is that no receiver is inherently "better" than others because they'd probably all use the same techniques, but I thought I might as well ask.

froglet fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 16, 2011

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Hey buddy, I'm Aussie and also trying to figure this stuff out...
What do you think of this receiver?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330566729218

Cheapest one of these I could find from an Australian shop.
I think it's pretty good, but I'm no expert. :)
Could an expert check that one out?

breasts own
Dec 2, 2006

Eyebrows!

IUG posted:

My Onyko tx-nr609 will do this via settings.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
What is the prevailing opinion on the Polk R300 vs the Klipsch F10? Polks are at 120 each, F10s are 150 each (Canada) I'd like to run them as 2.0, then eventually add a center, and after that move them to the back and run some nicer speakers at the front.

Edit: main duties will be TV/movies, with some music mixed in.

Frank Dillinger fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 16, 2011

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

breasts own posted:

My Onyko tx-nr609 will do this via settings.

Does it have a name for whatever this setting or feature is? Just so I can look at a few receivers and see which might be best me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Frank Dillinger posted:

What is the prevailing opinion on the Polk R300 vs the Klipsch F10? Polks are at 120 each, F10s are 150 each (Canada) I'd like to run them as 2.0, then eventually add a center, and after that move them to the back and run some nicer speakers at the front.

Edit: main duties will be TV/movies, with some music mixed in.

On paper the Klipsch is better. It's more sensitive, Frequency response is lower, it weighs 10lbs more.

An important note, the klipsch has a front firing bass port, the polk has a rear firing, which means the polk can not be placed against a wall.

The klipsch will have a "brighter" sound to it because of the horn type tweeter. I like the sound personally, but some can describe it as being harsh. This really depends on the source material.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Went with the klipsch F10s, the price got lowered after I posted. Picked up a pair for 70 some-odd bucks each, and a Mission MS10 sub for 160, all in all a good day, I think. Now I get to play the waiting game as far as recievers are concerned. Does anyone know when Pioneer updates their product line?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Frank Dillinger posted:

Went with the klipsch F10s, the price got lowered after I posted. Picked up a pair for 70 some-odd bucks each, and a Mission MS10 sub for 160, all in all a good day, I think. Now I get to play the waiting game as far as recievers are concerned. Does anyone know when Pioneer updates their product line?

Once a year or so. Why bother though, I can't see any updates in the future that will having you wish you held out. My pioneer is from late 2009 and there is not a single feature missing from it other than it doesn't support 3d.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Nah, I just want to scoop up an 821 or 921 on special when the new models drop. Hopefully it works out that way anyway.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Frank Dillinger posted:

Nah, I just want to scoop up an 821 or 921 on special when the new models drop. Hopefully it works out that way anyway.

Why not look for a used 820 or 920 ? They're the same receiver and should be dirt cheap.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got news that I'm going to be getting a rather large pay increase.

I'm putting together a wish list of home theatre gear. Going to buy a place sooner than later and I'm going to build a dedicated home theatre room.

Going to tear out the drywall and do in wall wiring for all speakers devices.

Amps, processors and media devices will be rack mounted. Maybe in a closet or perhaps outside the entire room with an IR blaster to control everything.

Going to use a 1080p projector. I'd like to be able to set the center speaker behind the pulldown. I don't know if this is possible or not.

Thinking of doing platforms for the seating, with elevated theatre seats behind.

Not sure if I want to go with THX compliant reciever and speakers, or do seperates amps and a pre/pro.

If I go with a THX setup, I could take out a lot of equipment and cables by just going with a THX certified receiver:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-57

And then a badass Speaker setup:

http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2-home-theater-system

The receiver claims 140watts per channel, and with a THX spec, I would assume thats with all channels driven, but the receiver only weighs 39lbs, about 1/2 of what a stand alone amp weighs.

The other route would be something like this:

http://www.klipsch.com/rf-7-ii-home-theater-system

And add the ultra II subs from the other setup and the dedicated sub amp.

The RF7 II's have dual 10" woofers. Because of some frequency response dips, these speakers need a lot of headroom from the amps. A normal receiver wont cut it, and I'd suspect even that reciever listed above might not be up to the task.

Something like this http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm (5 channel) plus this http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm (2 channel for the rear or maybe surrounds)

Plus a processor to drive the amps: http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

Both systems would be nice, and similar priced. Some say that the THX setup is better for movies, but the system is sort of "flat" for music listening.

Others say the Reference setup is much nicer for music. It also has huge drivers versus the 6" stuff in the THX speakers.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

Are RCA inputs and outputs the same?

I have the following TV: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-...3941787&sr=1-24

According to the specs it only has a digital audio out. The labels on the back of the TV agree with this.

According to a guy at Best Buy (yes, I know), he said that despite being labeled in, RCA inputs are the same as outputs.

My intention is to hookup a set of Logitech Z623 speakers, which use a left and right RCA cable.

Without having any way to verify, is this true?

Could I get manage to hook these speakers directly up to the TV by inserting the RCA cables into what is label output?

Thank you!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

28_days posted:

I have the following TV: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-...3941787&sr=1-24

According to the specs it only has a digital audio out. The labels on the back of the TV agree with this.

According to a guy at Best Buy (yes, I know), he said that despite being labeled in, RCA inputs are the same as outputs.

My intention is to hookup a set of Logitech Z623 speakers, which use a left and right RCA cable.

Without having any way to verify, is this true?

Could I get manage to hook these speakers directly up to the TV by inserting the RCA cables into what is label output?

Thank you!

Although you can physically hook it up, the input is not the same as the output.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

jonathan posted:

Although you can physically hook it up, the input is not the same as the output.

This guy was absolutely insistent that outputs/inputs can be used interchangeably on newer TVs. Literally wouldn't stop talking about how it's odd and manufacturers need to point out that they work this way.

King of the Mambo
Aug 2, 2009
Putting aside the whole soundbar vs standalone speakers argument, what would you guys recommend for a simple soundbar/sub setup? The range is about $300-350, so I'm not looking for anything audiophiley or earth-shattering, just decent quality.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

King of the Mambo posted:

Putting aside the whole soundbar vs standalone speakers argument, what would you guys recommend for a simple soundbar/sub setup? The range is about $300-350, so I'm not looking for anything audiophiley or earth-shattering, just decent quality.

I've been looking at these two: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7YJ6VZTJGYFFTP1

and http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HTCT550W-Theater-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B004MF7A02

I guess I'm a slight bit confused how they are setup. Currently I have a TV, cable box and Blu-Ray. My cable box goes into my HDMI Arc input on the TV and the Blu-Ray goes into the second HDMI input on the TV (only two available).

I believe with these systems, all components (cable box, Blu-Ray, etc.) all connect via HDMI cable to the receiver, and then you only use one HDMI cable to the HDMI Arc input on the TV. Though I don't understand how the TV knows what input. I guess this is probably controlled by the receiver (in the case of the HT-CT550).

Can anyone shed any light on this? Are these systems decent for the price? If you use HDMI, I'm assuming you don't need to plug in the digital audio cable?

Thanks!

EDIT: got it all setup, super simple. If you're looking for a basic setup it's not a bad way to go

28_days fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 20, 2011

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

jonathan posted:

Got news that I'm going to be getting a rather large pay increase.

I'm putting together a wish list of home theatre gear. Going to buy a place sooner than later and I'm going to build a dedicated home theatre room.

Going to tear out the drywall and do in wall wiring for all speakers devices.

Amps, processors and media devices will be rack mounted. Maybe in a closet or perhaps outside the entire room with an IR blaster to control everything.

Going to use a 1080p projector. I'd like to be able to set the center speaker behind the pulldown. I don't know if this is possible or not.

Thinking of doing platforms for the seating, with elevated theatre seats behind.

Not sure if I want to go with THX compliant reciever and speakers, or do seperates amps and a pre/pro.

If I go with a THX setup, I could take out a lot of equipment and cables by just going with a THX certified receiver:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-57

And then a badass Speaker setup:

http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2-home-theater-system

The receiver claims 140watts per channel, and with a THX spec, I would assume thats with all channels driven, but the receiver only weighs 39lbs, about 1/2 of what a stand alone amp weighs.

The other route would be something like this:

http://www.klipsch.com/rf-7-ii-home-theater-system

And add the ultra II subs from the other setup and the dedicated sub amp.

The RF7 II's have dual 10" woofers. Because of some frequency response dips, these speakers need a lot of headroom from the amps. A normal receiver wont cut it, and I'd suspect even that reciever listed above might not be up to the task.

Something like this http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm (5 channel) plus this http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm (2 channel for the rear or maybe surrounds)

Plus a processor to drive the amps: http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

Both systems would be nice, and similar priced. Some say that the THX setup is better for movies, but the system is sort of "flat" for music listening.

Others say the Reference setup is much nicer for music. It also has huge drivers versus the 6" stuff in the THX speakers.

To be frank those thx ultra klipsch speakers are garbage. RF7s not so bad. If i were you the choice would be simple... order these with the DE250 upgrade

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_141&products_id=1006

theyre in a completely different league.

If you order 5 they should give you 15% off, might want to contact them about that.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 18, 2011

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Just picked up my first receiver, a Pioneer VSX-821-K, at Bestbuy on clearance for $200. :toot:

I plan on building over time so for starters I should be ok with a pair of Polk Monitor 40s and then later getting the matching sub and center channel, right?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

The Flying Milton posted:

I plan on building over time so for starters I should be ok with a pair of Polk Monitor 40s and then later getting the matching sub and center channel, right?

Yes, you can add speakers later on. I would seriously consider getting a center channel first, since it makes such a big difference. Then again, some people like their bass and I'm not one of them.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Yeah, it'd go center, then sub. Guess I'll pull the trigger since the 40s are on sale on newegg.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Back at home I have a budget Onkyo receiver paired to a single Polk 60. I was really happy with the sound and I miss it more than anything else left behind here at college haha
I'm in the bottom/basement floor of a house with two other students, with a family above, so I don't want anything as powerful or as big as my home set up preferably

My budget is around $350. Should I go with another ~$100 receiver and a smaller speaker than the Polk 60? What would a good option be?
I'm guessing that going with computer/bookshelf speakers (I'm not sure what the correct term is, I just mean ones that don't require a receiver) would mean a pretty big sacrifice in audio quality for the same amount of money?

e: my room is aprox 20x7ft

Winszton fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 20, 2011

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Went ahead and got a budget Onkyo and pair of RTi A1's

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

28_days posted:

I have a TC-P42G15. I have an RCA Audio-Out which I have used (works great), but since I don't have RCA video cords I can't check what you're asking. But here's the issue I see: even if it were to work, the input/output of an RCA jack is component-specific. So if you're watching TV and you plugged your speakers into Component-In #2, you're only going to get sound from whatever Component-In 2 is supplying. And if you have your output plugged into it, where's the input coming from to give you the sound information?

I think your guy is confused - yes, the hookup itself is identical just like a 1/8" in/out is identical, and an RCA cord isn't directional, but the IC behind it is doing different things which determines how you can/can't use it. Ask him to prove it, if he's so insistent.

EDIT: and maybe try one of these? but read the "caution" reviews to make sure it will work for you

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 20, 2011

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

coolskillrex remix posted:

To be frank those thx ultra klipsch speakers are garbage. RF7s not so bad. If i were you the choice would be simple... order these with the DE250 upgrade

If you order 5 they should give you 15% off, might want to contact them about that.

I've heard nothing but good reviews, but i'm leary to buy thx stuff because I'm sure R&D blows a lot of money getting thx certified rather than spending it on the actual design.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Welp, finally made up my mind and went for an Onkyo TX-NR509 (good price on Amazon right now at $289) and the Fluance AVHTB+ 5-speaker set that all the reviews say are drat good for $200. Here's to hoping they are!
Receiver will be here on Friday, Speakers not until next week. :ohdear:

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

coolskillrex remix posted:

I'm sure these may well sound good, but it'd look like you live in a club.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BattleHork posted:

I'm sure these may well sound good, but it'd look like you live in a club.

Well, for a dedicated home theatre room it doesn't really matter. Basically it will be a room with no windows, some theatre seating on risers, some pot lights that dim. Speakers at the perimeter of the room, big retractable screen at the front, and some movie related posters and acoustic treatments.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

jonathan posted:

Well, for a dedicated home theatre room it doesn't really matter. Basically it will be a room with no windows, some theatre seating on risers, some pot lights that dim. Speakers at the perimeter of the room, big retractable screen at the front, and some movie related posters and acoustic treatments.

for my own home theater i want to get movie posters screen-printed onto acoustic fabric!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

jonathan posted:

I've heard nothing but good reviews, but i'm leary to buy thx stuff because I'm sure R&D blows a lot of money getting thx certified rather than spending it on the actual design.

Thats a correct assessment of thx, that its basically a bought label and nothing more. Lots of logitech speakers have thx for christs sake..

Ill give a rundown on why i think the klipsch speakers are weird

1) 60x90 is sort of weird for a horn. you would want 90x60... so tip the speaker horizontal? not sure how that would work if they designed the horn to work vertically
2) im pretty sure the specs are bull, 97db sensitivity AND 43hz -3db? Thats pretty unheard of, i think thats a massaged stat. Those 6.5" must have lovely compression figures.

Heres what i mean by compression:
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz205/Kallus42/2011%20sub%20test%20pics/EPIK%20EMPIRE/empirepowercompressionsweeps.jpg

Excursion stops at a certain point, and this is most noticeable in subwoofers, where as you turn up the volume more and more the subwoofer simply has no excursion so the frequency response completely changes. F3 of 20hz turns into f3 of like... 40hz. So basically when you have a loud passage in a movie and want the speaker to play at 110db peaks the woofers arent going to keep up... theyre going to turn into f3 100 or 150hz. Its just physics.

3) expensive as hell for cheap drivers. $40 for each of the woofers, the 1" titanium compression driver is probably cheap too
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=299-101&scqty=10 (when in stock they were $40... buyout or not thats cheap for a $1500 speaker)

Looking at those drivers i really dont know how they get 97db sensitivity... i have a feeling that stat is bull as well.

RF7 okay, but not sure about that horn. Might not hold directivity too well. Decent speakers but i feel like you can actually do *better* for cheaper

You basically know what youre getting with the eD speakers.. but hold out on buying them, avs forum might measure them soon, hopefully eD didnt screw up the crossovers. drivers are kappa pro 12A woofer + DE250 + qsc horn = $300 of stuff you can buy at parts express. DE250 is one of the best compression drivers on the market, tons of measurements. eD isnt doing any revolutionary, crossover isnt anything crazy, shouldnt be that hard to make the crossover.. but still

If i were you i would wait mainly for the avs member MK theater to get his speakers with DE250 upgrade because he will probably measure them. Worst comes to worst you just have eD build you some wayne parham pi speakers, then you really know what youre getting.

Its weird how hard it is to know what youre getting in a speaker... thats whats cool about the ed cinema, and the whole DIY scene in general.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

How does one deal with speaker spikes on hardwood floors? I figured it would be simple to get some sort of pad to sit them on but it looks as though that might screw with the sound. I've already put a good gash into the new hardwood and I's like to avoid doing it again.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Bunk Rogers posted:

How does one deal with speaker spikes on hardwood floors? I figured it would be simple to get some sort of pad to sit them on but it looks as though that might screw with the sound. I've already put a good gash into the new hardwood and I's like to avoid doing it again.

I wouldnt use speaker spikes if it has normal pads.. if there isnt

pennies

or

http://www.oregondv.com/Brass%20Floor%20Pads.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Alfajor posted:

Receiver will be here on Friday, Speakers not until next week. :ohdear:
:ohdear: indeed. I got the receiver, speaker wire, banana plugs and everything, except for the speakers. I've got everything ready, the speaker wires all finished and run, and I've got to wait until THURSDAY. Fuuuuuck, I want to play with my shiny new toy right now!