Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

I currently have an old Sony HTIB which has been serviceable, but am looking to upgrade, although my budget is still relatively low. For now, I'm focused on receivers; I almost bought the Onkyo TX-SR309 because it's currently on sale for $200, but balked because I haven't done enough research on alternatives. Additionally, there aren't many current reviews on Amazon to gauge its quality. For about $50 more, there's also the Onkyo TXSR508. I like some of the additional features on the TXSR508, like Zone 2 and ProLogic II, but the Amazon reviews raise quality concerns, so I'm hesitant.

I don't have illusions about how a budget receiver stacks up against mid or high range ones, but the included features seem to fit my needs. I'll concern myself with speakers at a later date, but do either of those choices jump out as exceptionally good deals, or should I bide my time and invest more time to research or save up for a solid mid-range receiver?

Edit: After reading over the threat, I actually found a better deal on the Pioneer VSX-820-K recommended early on. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Onkyo.

JHomer722 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Although I initially intended to avoid a HTIB, this Denon DHT-391XP is very tempting. As it comes packaged with an AVR-391, which Hob_Gadling has spoken highly of, I figure I can build up the speaker system as my budget allows. Can anyone think of a reason why this isn't my best option? (Aside, of course, from the fact that I haven't heard it in person.)