Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So recent acquisitions for my bedroom.

2x Pioneer SP-FS52 & C-22 for a center. Powered from a Pioneer VSX-524. Klipsch R-12SW Sub.

I can't say i'm disappointed. Solid performance all around.

BUT!

The FS52's have been relegated to rear channels. I hadn't even planned on having rear channels. Just 3.1 for movies and music. Turns out the FS52's still can't compete with the two Overnight sensations that I built. The FS52's just lack something. I'm not great with audio, no idea what the difference audibly is. I only suppose that I just like them better because I built them. Hoping to give the 52's another chance in front after I give them a month to break in and get used to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So both me and my friend both started discussing home audio, him since he's just remoddled his basement, me because I feel its time for an upgrade.

Currently I've got

a Pioneer VSX-524 which has been sufficient but has been giving me tons of issues with audio channels no matter how I mess with the settings.
Pioneer 52FS for front left and right, and a C22 for center.
Two handcrafted satellites that I built years ago when the speaker building thread was going.
and a Klipsch R-12SW which has been great, so I don't intend on changing it.

He jumped the gun and bought a Pioneer VSX 531 reciever and a Bic F12 sub that were on sale.

We both have similar setups of Cable Box, HTPC, Xbox, and a mix of chromecasts/appleTVs/Roku's.

So the shopping list is a new receiver for my 5.1 system, and two sets of five channel speakers.

But before I go out and buy anything are building speakers still cost effective? If I run off of ones already designed I could easily do the woodwork and soldering for 10 speakers on a single Saturday.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

wormil posted:

I used to have a Pioneer receiver and had the same problem. No matter how much I fussed with the settings it never sounded 'right.' I finally gave it away and bought an Onkyo.

Yeah the Onkyo 656 looks like it would be great with some overhead room for future expansion.

I still need to choose speakers.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

KillHour posted:

You're better off spending that money on a couple acoustic panels for your walls or something.

Are the wood framed bales of rockwool still a super cheap way to do this effectively?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Filters are always a slope. Where you set the filter is ideally what is referred to as "3dB point " where the response is three decibels below a flat response.

By matching the settings you've made the two filters expect the same 3dB point.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Palladium posted:

my apartment is hard tiled and i live in it barefeet, so touching anything conductive that uses 2-pin AC and also isn't grounded somewhere else gives me a perfectly safe but annoying 120V shock

That's not how it's supposed to work. That's a red flag and a safety hazard that you're house is wired wrong, or your appliances are shorting out

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So thats something I have with my old Phase Linear, the preamp does the volume control, then it goes through an EQ, then the power amp unit is just a fixed gain, no knobs or anything. That allows the power amp to have a very consistent frequency response.

Seems pretty rare in consumer goods these days. I hope the Schiit one you found works for you. If you really want those specific requirements with something more custom you're probably going to be buying piecemeal off of parts-express. They've got a huge selection and you can just take an amp and instead of wiring a knob just connect a fixed resistor in whatever enclosure you make. Something like a Sure Electronics AA-AB32174.

But thats a lot of extra effort

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 8, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
When you say "Not enough power", what volumes do you actually run?

My office setup is a pair of Klipsch R-51M's, which are rated at 85W each, with good sensitivity at 93 dB @ 2.83V/1M, driving even 15W into them is almost too loud for the room

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Considering finding a replacement for an older Klipsch BAR 48, not for a theater or anything, it has mostly spent its life playing background music or whatever TV show the family wanted.

Sound quality is fine, my one major complaint with it is that it only has a few volume steps so most of the time it goes from way too quiet to way to loud with no step in between.

Max size is 48" x 5" in that $500 range.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

susan b buffering posted:

Passives should definitely have a longer lifespan in general I think. I have a set of floor-standing passive speakers that are pushing 40 years old at this point and have been in active use the vast majority of that time.

My Klipsch Heresy's have been blasting vinyl since 1983, with more or less weekly use and still going strong.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ceiling speakers are going to require cables for power even if they are wirelessly streaming. I can't even think of any speakers mounted like that that would be wireless streaming though.

There are plenty of wireless audio bridges, so you could bridge your current system to wherever you run the minimum required wires for the new system. Like a mini amp hidden in a kitchen cabinet or something. You can jump from your dining room to your kitchen with something like an SVS SoundPath Wireless. Stuff like that isn't "good" but neither are most in-wall speakers so its a wash.

All of that will cost you much more than just running a single cable between the rooms.

Other people may have better options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Through the Denon recviever

Is the switch plugged into the denon HDMI1? Could be passing that through to the TV when it powers on and it sees it’s on port 1 and telling it to switch to port 1