Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!
I'm looking to build a 2.0 or 2.1 setup for $400-$500. These speakers will go in my dorm room, so I'd prefer bookshelf speakers. I'm fine using just an stereo reciever or a t-amp because I'm only using these for music.

I've looked at the Paradigm and PSB speakers recommended here, but not really sure which ones are best suited for my budget and listening needs. If anyone could recommend me speakers and a receiver or t-amp, or point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciatd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!

Doc Spratley posted:

Great Advice

I found a pretty good price on the PSB B15, so I'll probably snag those. Would there be a noticeable difference between using the $100 t-amp and the $160 amp? I guess is it worth the extra $60?

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!

Doc Spratley posted:

The apa150 will be heavier, draw more power, and does have a fan that may come on at times. It is however bridgeable whereas a t-amp is not and has a handy lowpass crossover control. It was sold by Emotiva for a while as the BPA-1, which may help you find some more reviews.

T-amps are very cool though, and the tk2050 chip based dta-100a will be able to power up most speakers to ample listening levels. As a plus, they are highly portable, have a headphone output, and they are a greener design being very efficient with power.

Don't underestimate that little Lepai, I know the price might be offputting, but for pocket money you get a nice little 2020 based amp with by-passable tone controls.

I am planning on eventually getting a sub, so it seems that the apa150 is the best choice, if I don't want to upgrade, right?