Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

jonathan posted:

I like the emotiva brand of equipment for processors and amps. There is better stuff, but it usually costs 3x as much, there is also much cheaper stuff. Emotiva seems to be the best bang for the buck.

http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm <-- processor
http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm <-- 2 channel amp, 125 real watts

Do you use the UMC-1? Its on a clearance right now for a pretty sweet price but some looking around the web gave me the impression that the software is fairly buggy and a decent amount of features do not work as advertised. Just wondering if you had personal experience with and what your thoughts were.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

evil_bunnY posted:

Any recommendation for speakers that look good but don't sound like the average "design" speakers.

Not sure what you mean when you say sound like design speakers, are you just asking for attractive speakers that sound really good?

Also are you looking for passive or active speakers?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Hard to suggest stuff on style as it is so subjective, and also I have no clue what you can get in Sweden. On the flip side small unobtrusive 2 channel amps are easy, so you should be able to expand your search to include any passive speaker you think looks good.

Heres an example of a mini amp:
http://emotiva.com/a100.shtm
Its not that unusual a form factor, and you can probly find comparable ones for less cash too.

edit:
http://www.everything-but-the-box.com/
This is a European based (I think) speaker company with some out there designs. Not sure if it agrees with you, or gets too expensive, but I thought it was pretty cool.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I don't have any personal experience with either, but they are 2 of about 5 or 6 that are constantly hyped in the sub section of avsforum and you should be able to easily find multiple threads comparing them as well as some sub shootouts with both. I think Rythmik has a rep as being a more accurate and musical sub.

Personally if I had $1,000 to drop on a sub I would get a ULS 15 from HSU

Sealed, goes really low, lots of power, seems about perfect in my eyes. Maybe dual subs is a requirement for you, but I would definitely look at the ULS-15. I have a smaller ported sub from HSU and I think the performance for the $ is pretty unbeatable.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

jonathan posted:

I wanted dual subs for the in-room frequency response and smoothness. With my room, if I place the single sub along the front soundstage, it disappears, but I find it to lack range or punchyness. It only does the rumble.

If I move it around, I get a way better punch out of it. It's way more musical, but it's really localized. At seemingly any tone I can point out where the bass is coming from and it's distracting. I am somewhat convinced that a 2 sub setup used as end tables on each side of the couch will benefit me. Or one along the front soundstage and one off the the side.

You may be exactly right with what you need, but I will say you may not have that same experience with a better sub (If I remember you were using a Klipsch synergy) and you may find that with something like the F12 it meets all your needs when placed on your front stage.
I know from myself that I have been much happier getting what I really want instead of an intermediate solution, and while using 2 will get a smoother response, it will never get them to go deeper, so make sure the unit you choose is capable of hitting every aspect of what you want it to do.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Yeah that was said better with more knowledge than I could have put it. But I do think the correct decision is to get 1 sub that does everything you would want a sub to do for you, and then worry about adding a second one later.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Just adding that I am also interested in anyones opinions and experience with Atmos. Are you glad you went to it? Thoughts on dedicated in ceiling speakers vs the angled fronts? 2vs4 speakers?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Does anyone have suggestions for the following:

I need a small form factor amplifier to power 2 bookshelf speakers, that DOES NOT have a volume control. I want just basic RCA in and power out with a fixed amplification level. I am not even sure what hte right search terms are to get this, most of what I find has some form of eq and or volume control.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

trilobite terror posted:

Emotiva

Schiit

both have what you’re looking for

other brands too (Marantz?)

Thanks, Emotiva as far as I can tell only has traditional full size devices and space is what I am trying to save here. However Schiit does seem to sell exactly what I want.

Does anyone have experience with the REKKR or GJALLARHORN amps they sell? I am fully aware that I do not need 100 watts per channel and im not really ever approaching using that much in normal use, however, 2 watts seems just... really little. Any feedback appreciated.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Mederlock posted:

Which speakers do you have? It depends on the sensitivity of them.

This will be powering a pair of 20 year old wharfedale diamond 8.2s. they do not need to go crazy, but I would like them not to be kneecapped. Especially if I am spending a few hundred on the amp.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Mederlock posted:

Best I can tell from a cursory search, those are 89 db sensitivity speakers. The 10W Gjallarhorn might be enough for that, the REKKR probably would leave you feeling underwhelmed at times. What's your use case? Are these being used in a near field setup like at your computer desk? Or do they need to fill a room with sound for the occasional social gathering/party and/or do you like cranking the volume at times?

It's for a sunroom/living room space. Not huge but decently open and a 10 foot ceiling. Speakers are on a bookshelf above head height. Doesn't need to rock a party but we do like to play stuff a bit louder when we are like, cleaning the house.

Sounds like for the Schiit line id probly need to move the video, but I can't justify 800 for this really

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I realize that this will technically work, however I consider it a solution of last resort. I would vastly prefer to solve the problem within the confines of the original proposal, even if that means paying more, but 800 is past that point. Chalk it up to me being an idiot, thats fine.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

trilobite terror posted:

what if you got like a Crown amp? They seem big because they’re rackmount but they’re quite shallow and super lightweight for an amp, and they run pretty cold so you can lock one in a closet or tuck it into an entertainment unit (they need air tho), and they sound fine for all that ppl talk poo poo on Class D and they make stupid obscene power so you’ll never want on that front

I will check this out, thanks.

Don Dongington posted:

Sounds like a perfect use case for one of the Fosi or similar chip amps. Most have a volume control, but small enough that you can set it and shove it behind something so it never gets touched.

Example:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtiPjko

I agree its a very good use case, especially for the cost, as mentioned above though I would prefer it with no volume control (which I get is kinda dumb), but this is probably my fallback choice.

Wibla posted:

https://nadelectronics.com/product/amp1/

I'd take that over a fosi or similar. Leave the volume control alone after setting it to the desired volume level.

What's the intended audio source?

Looks real nice, but unfortunately it seems to only be available in Europe for some reason and I am in the US.
The source is a Sonos port (that I already have and use). Currently powered by an older Rotel amp I have that works fine, but it takes up a large portion of hte bookcase and we are trying to reclaim some space.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Palladium posted:

this a weird demand when you can turn a volume knob to a desired position and leave it there

Sure, but if that was a solution that worked well for me I wouldn't be asking for advice, I would just buy one the many options and be on my way. I don't think im being obstinate or unreasonable, just looking for something a little more specific.

KillHour posted:

It might be for kids or something where people you don't want could change the volume. All amps kind of need a way to change the volume somehow, but some more feature-rich ones allow you to set a max volume or otherwise lock out the controls. There are also some that need a screwdriver to adjust. Would that work?

Its partly/mostly this. The location is in a living room and theres no good option to lock it away. I have kids, and kids have friends and we host family and friends a lot. They all use the audio system and in my experience setups like this (which I have used before) end up causing issues that range from annoyance (most common) up to potentially damaging gear (rare).

None of it is the end of the world of course and as I said above I may go this route, just searching for reasonable affordable alternatives first.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I think given the weeklong break in this discussion some of the original context has been lost (understandable). The actual reason this came up is not because it currently doesn't function, (it does!) but because I want to swap out the amplifier I use now for a small form factor one. The primary driver is just reclaiming shelf space in our living room. Also, the source is a Sonos port hooked to an amp hooked to bookshelf speakers. So, yes, 100% of the users would be connecting to use this via phone or tablet, including kids.

I understand why, missing that context, a receiver would be suggested, but in this case it would be a big step backwards.

Some of the suggestions above actually lead to the exact type if thing I want, for example: https://www.schiit.com/products/gjallarhorn however getting this with enough power seems like its beyond what I want to spend to solve my somewhat minor problem. I appreciate all the advice that has been offered.

KillHour posted:

Do you have an example?

Tons. Almost anything sold as hifi dedicated amp is built this way. Here a few examples picked at random.
Monolith
Emotiva
most but not all of these here: Crutchfield

In fact the amp I am using for this purpose right now (an older 2 channel Rotel) is that way.

emocrat fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

M_Gargantua posted:

When you say "Not enough power", what volumes do you actually run?

My office setup is a pair of Klipsch R-51M's, which are rated at 85W each, with good sensitivity at 93 dB @ 2.83V/1M, driving even 15W into them is almost too loud for the room

Nothing crazy but decently loud in large room with 10 foot ceilings. I totally agree that I don't need 100 watts or whatever, but the Schiit Rekkr only outputs 2 and I don't think that's enough. The step up from there, the GJALLARHORN, is 15 watts which, could be enough by im pretty hesitant to drop the 300 they want for it and just chance it.