Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordPancake
Nov 1, 2007

GG: bluhhh what are you talking about....
GG: my head hurts
So I have been thinking about setting up a home theater system for some time now, I started to do a bit of research and was planning to the system around the end of fall beginning of winter.

But that kinda changed as I got a really really good deal on a pioneer VSX-30. It is slightly used, but it only came with the reciever, power cord and remote.

I currently have no speakers but will have a set of left right and center speakers for it.

I know it has a microphone slot to calibrate the audio but it didn't come with it. Would any microphone do? or should I order the pioneer one?

Any suggestions on speakers? I have the ability to build speakers and think it would be fun to learn and try it out. Or should I just go a save up and buy assembled speakers?

In the instructions it says it can handle a "9.1" system which has L and R height speakers or L and R wide speakers. What is the deal with that?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordPancake
Nov 1, 2007

GG: bluhhh what are you talking about....
GG: my head hurts

Hob_Gadling posted:

You need the Pioneer one. Before ordering it, you might want to take a look at the settings and see how complicated they look to you. If it doesn't look too bad you can set it up by hand and save a bit.

If you can build your own speakers you will get considerably better bang for your buck as long as you know what you're doing. There's a linked thread for building your own speakers in OP, take a look there and judge for yourself.

Check manual p. 17 It's pretty much what it says on the box, an extra pair of speakers to provide directional audio.

Thank you! I have been looking at the build your own speaker thread and I believe I can build the speakers without to much trouble so I will head in that direction.

I will check out the settings to see what I can do. I hope it is easy to save me 30$.
I didn't get the box with the reciever. So all I knew was it was a 7.1 system and say you could use the 9.1. I figured they were just for more speakers in a difference position, but I just wanted to make sure. Thank you.

I hope I can get this set up soon, I will let you know how I think about it.