Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

Baddog posted:

Am I crazy for mixing klipsch and monoprice speakers?

In general, it's not super critical to use matching speakers for the front and surrounds. However, the tweeter has a big effect on the particular sound of a speaker, and given that these two speakers have radically different tweeter designs (horn vs dome), the difference in their sound may be more apparent. I don't know if it's something you'd notice or not, but just something to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah I have one RCA jack that says Subwoofer.

Hrm well the room is.... maybe 12'x10'x12'

I suppose, if it works and doesn't blow up. I don't need the floor to shake or anything like that.

And cheap being like under $200 or around $100> ideally

This is a popular <$200 sub:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-633

I have an earlier, down-firing version. It's decent enough for movies, though a bit too boomy for music (though this could probably be improved if I had better room acoustics). They also have an 8" one for only $90.

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

ILikeVoltron posted:

Is it crazy for me to go with a 3.0 setup rather than a 3.1?

Do you need to get everything at the same time? If not, I'd think about starting with just the fronts and see how well movie dialogue sounds with a phantom center (assuming your seating is positioned on the line between the fronts). If it works, I'd go for a sub. If the dialogue is hard to understand during scenes with a lot of background noise or you want to be able to watch without sitting in the "sweet spot", then get a center instead.

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

inklesspen posted:

That set's already at about the top end of my budget, though. Is this speaker set any better?

I'll be honest; I'm even half-tempted to get these. Sure, they're not terribly good, but I also don't know too much about what I'm doing, so maybe that won't be such a bad thing?

I haven't heard these speakers in particular, but I do use the same brand and this looks like a pretty good deal if you must by a package: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/544779013/boston-acoustics-cs2310b

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

Giblet posted:

Yeah I figured my idea wasn't the greatest. I just got everything in to hookbit all up so I think I'll try both ways quick just for kicks.

Some receivers allow you to use the extra channels for front presence or height speakers if rears are not an option.

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

Mulloy posted:

So after weighing options and reading around and based on my living room being fairly small I went ahead and picked up the ps52/nr616 setup listed earlier.

It's really awesome, but I feel like the surround are over powering the fronts, but I'm guessing this is because I have about two feet on the left and right of my couch before I hit a wall on one side and a doorway on the other.

Should I look at reducing the volume on the surround or raising the fronts or is this just the way it is with a small space? The room is basically 15x10.

How high are the surrounds? If they're at ear level, maybe try raising them up a couple of feet.

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

tarepanda posted:

Yamaha is OK, then? I was confused since I never really see anyone talk about their stuff and whenever I go to a high-end sound store, it's always Onkyo, Denon, McIntosh, Bowers & Wilkins, etc. So I figured they must be kind of crappy, like... Logitech or something.

Yamaha is more than okay as far as receivers go. On par with Denon. They're not known for their speakers, however (though I'm sure they're better than Logitech).

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

tarepanda posted:

What do you guys use for universal remotes for your receiver + TV + everything else?

The Logitech Harmony remotes are pretty popular. I use a Harmony One. The newer ones have apps so you can use a smartphone or tablet as a remote, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

Cthulhuite posted:

Can I just get the male/male cable and plug it into one of the inputs on the Sub?

yes