Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
I'm going to post a little "what'd you buy and how do you like it" thing as the OP requests, but first I have some wiring problems to resolve.

Currently I've got an 3.5mm to RCA wire from my MBP to Onkyo TX-8255. That's pretty bad right?
I probably should have just gone with a more expensive receiver but cest la vie. I would also like to connect my TV/Blu/360 to it but I'm not sure how.
The receiver only has RCA inputs and nothing else really does.. the TV only has optical.

I have a Polk 60 hooked up with two speaker wires, the "right" ones so I set the right/left dial on the reciever to all right. Same for the Polk SW10. I think I'm supposed to have that connected with RCA somehow though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Back at home I have a budget Onkyo receiver paired to a single Polk 60. I was really happy with the sound and I miss it more than anything else left behind here at college haha
I'm in the bottom/basement floor of a house with two other students, with a family above, so I don't want anything as powerful or as big as my home set up preferably

My budget is around $350. Should I go with another ~$100 receiver and a smaller speaker than the Polk 60? What would a good option be?
I'm guessing that going with computer/bookshelf speakers (I'm not sure what the correct term is, I just mean ones that don't require a receiver) would mean a pretty big sacrifice in audio quality for the same amount of money?

e: my room is aprox 20x7ft

Winszton fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 20, 2011

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Went ahead and got a budget Onkyo and pair of RTi A1's

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
So I've got a budget Onkyo hooking up a single Polk RTI A1 and PSW10.
It's enjoyable as is but I certainly need to get another speaker hooked up, the PSW10 can't be turned up to where it really shines without drowning out the single bookshelf speaker. Would a center channel like the CS10 be suitable? This setup is exclusively for music.

Also from hearing PSW10s in smaller rooms, I can tell it's a bit stressed in this larger room. It's maybe roughly 35x20. It's not a big negative or whatever but if there is an optimal place to place it I'd be interested. Also, does placing it on blankets and pillows and stuff (in evening, so I can still have a little bass without waking neighbors) affect how it sounds in the room, or is that all just traveling through the air anyhow?

Wiring wise the sub is connected via RCA and the single bookshelf is connected by two strands of speaker wire. Is there much reason to hook up four strands when I'm not interested in the sound being split into right/left anyway?

Thanks! Awesome thread, picked these components because of it in the first place

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008

Hob_Gadling posted:

Get another RTI A1 before anything else (or if you prefer, a pair of some other speakers). For music you definitely want two similar speakers. Otherwise your stereo image will be all sorts of strange.

Alright. How much does it matter to have the two bookshelves directly in the "right" set up, for music? Right as in directly in front, set apart about 5 feet

Currently the speaker and sub are just to the side of the room on a table