Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
My dad just gave me his collection of 100+ records. Anyone have a recommendation for a good record player? It would be great if it was <$200

I bought the $120 one from Best Buy and the motor made a loud whirling noise. I just need a quality player that will plug into my stereo system.

e: unless spending more gets you a noticeable improvement?

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Dogen posted:

You can get an AT60 but I’d recommend spending a little more and getting an AT120

Unless something has popped up to take over for those being the best cheap tables

AT60 is the one I bought from BestBuy that was bad, that's making me scared of that brand.

e: AT-LP60X-GM

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

If anyone is looking for Atmos speaker system, Klipsch's set is on sale at Costco for $750. Which is quite the discount from the MSRP listed on their site. It makes me think these are hot garbage.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Munkaboo posted:

I have a 2 year old that sometimes comes into my tv room / office so I am concerned about most speaker stands tipping over if she touches them. Anyone else in this boat?

Same, I had to move my sound system to my bedroom. Planning on wall mounting them.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Toddlers are a great use case for wall mounting stuff.

Unfortunately you've selected "bookshelf" speakers with the ports facing backwards, which means they will sound like poo poo if placed in an actual bookshelf or when mounted too close to a wall.

Maybe something with enough wall clearance will still work OK, like https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Universal-Clamping-Bookshelf-Mounting/dp/B01N2TM8BQ/. Do check the maximum and minimum dimensions on that item though, I haven't.

Same, I'm going to try to use a port plug to see how they sound after mounting them on the wall.
https://www.axiomaudio.com/port-plugs

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Stan Taylor posted:

1k is definitely not cheap for me. I was looking at some on Amazon and there are several around 300 for a pair. Like the Polk T50 or Klipsch R-610F. I currently have a pair of Pioneer BS22s and a giant rear end SVS sub behind the tv right now. I honestly went way overboard with the sub and don’t really feel the need to dump a ton more money to match that guy in sound, I have him cranked down a bit for fear of annoying the neighbors.

Is there a reason you don't want bookshelf speakers + stand ? Why do they have to be floorstanding?

Since you have a large sub, you shouldn't need the speakers to produce much bass.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

nine16thsdago posted:

some sort of lightning strike+power surge event took out the following HDMI inputs on my setup: projector, 3/5 Onkyo TX-NR535 5.2 receiver. my speakers are 5.1 and i have no plans to change this. my notional replacement projector will be 1080p at best. what receiver should i be looking at to replace this one?

also, this isn't the first time some sort of surge has taken out an HDMI or DVI input in my experience. the projector was obviously hooked up to the receiver, but the dead receiver inputs were wireless gadgets (firetv, chromecast, etc). the one wired input i use (to a PC) was fine. how can i prevent this in the future?

ETA: the firetv/chromecast gadgets themselves appear OK.

I had a power surge take out my last receiver, so now I plug my sound system into one of these:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15876

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I'm looking to have speaker wire run through the walls so that my system doesn't look so tacky. Is it just a general handyman who does that? Or do I call up some A/V company, or electrician?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

xgalaxy posted:

Anyone have any alternatives to this:
https://nadelectronics.com/product/d-3045-hybrid-digital-dac-amplifier/

Mainly want to use it for connecting some passive speakers to my PC.
Just curious if there are other products out there for comparison.

I know very little about sound equipment, why does this 2x60W amp cost so much more than your typical living room receiver?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Costco is having a sale on:
Denon AVR S760H 7.2ch 8K AV Receiver
$399.99 After $100 OFF

Good until 5/22/23

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-37 receiver, and I've been searching craigslist for a newer Elite model. I can't figure out Pioneer's numbering scheme.
I found a Pioneer Elite vsx-59, but apparently it was made 3-5 years before my SC-37.

I've been googling and I can't find a list of models and when they were released. Any help?

Looking at 2010-2015+ year models

e: ah, I found out that SC is the top of the line and different from Elite and VSX line of receivers.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 22, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Cool historical archive on Pioneer's site - can look by ~10 year period at various categories: https://global.pioneer/en/corp/info/history/chronology/archives/2008/

Pioneer's home audio was sold off to onkyo in 2014-2015 and more recently onkyo got rescued by voxx/sharp in the form of Premium Audio Company. Onkyo, integra, and Pioneer are all made by the same folks at this point, so you might consider those brands as well.
https://www.audioholics.com/news/despite-bankruptcy-onkyo-pioneer-elite-av-drives-on

Whoa, cool. Thank you.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Atahualpa posted:

• A 3.1 setup would work best where the TV is going, but I'm primarily interested in quality components that I can build on later (i.e. I'd rather start with 2 excellent speakers that will last than spend the same amount of money on 3 decent speakers and a so-so subwoofer). I may upgrade to 5.1 eventually, but I can't see going higher than that unless I move.
  • The main use will be TV/movies with occasional music. Likely a fair amount of gaming later on as well. I don't plan to blast anything, just normal everyday volumes for the most part.
  • Not sure yet what my budget will be since I have a lot of other furniture to replace as well, but let's say $800-1200 for the initial buy.

Figure out what features you NEED to have right now, 4k? Buy the cheapest receiver you can find that meets those needs. I think almost every receiver made in the past 5 years supports 4k?
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs540bt/denon-avr-s540bt-5.2-ch-x-70-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html
That is the least expensive one I could find $229, that leaves $900 for speakers. As others have said, I would start with the two best speakers you can afford, and add a center and a subwoofer later.

I really like speakers you buy directly through the internet, I feel its a better bang for the buck since they don't have to pay for physical store space. Ascend is my favorite speaker brand, and a pair of SIERRA-1 are $898 and sound AMAZING for music (I've had a 3.0 setup with Sierra-1s for 14 years, and everyone is blown away by how good they sound). But since I see you will be using it for TV/movies as well, the CMT-340SE2 are $798 and have higher sensitivity (meaning they will sound louder for explosions in gaming and movies).

Denon AVR-S540BT Receiver $229
Ascend CMT-340SE2 $798
$1,027
+speaker cables, accessories

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

On their own website:

That's some narrow and nasty vertical dispersion. No idea why they used a MTM layout for a tower.

They are bookshelf, can you show me that same graph on any other speaker at that same price point? If you say that is bad dispersion, as compared to what?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also any speaker with a coaxial driver, since even dispersion is one of their features. KEF and some Elacs.

I'm not saying that the Ascends are bad speakers overall, but I'm just wonder what's up with that dispersion and if their MTM layout has anything to do with it. Seems like an odd choice is all.

Their $5300 speakers look almost the same:

So it must not matter very much?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Some TVs give you the choice to output in stereo or PCM or dolby or whatever, check your tv settings too

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

smoobles posted:

Denon question: when I use my PS5 it comes through in 5.1 and says "multi" on the display. When I use my TV (ARC) it says "Stereo"

It's a Sony Bravia, and the TV settings say the speakers are set to "Audio System" which should be right. Any idea why it's coming thru in stereo?

What app are you using on the TV when it says "Stereo"?

I'm pretty sure you are playing stereo content on your TV

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 12, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Taima posted:

The only real problem with subwoofers is that you really want to get a decent one (or two), I've tried to save money on subwoofers in the past and it's never worked, even when my standards were low. They just sound bad. So there's imo no such thing as a "budget" subwoofer in the same way that you can get a couple of Studio 530s and a dac/amp and then you're eating good already at like $400 all in. That alone is less than you'll pay for even a bottom tier decent sub in my experience.

I'm having difficulty figuring out where the money levels off on "you get what you pay for" on subwoofers. It seems like it goes to $2,500-$3,000 before it stops being worth it to buy the bigger-badder subwoofer.

I would like to buy a $800 subwoofer, but then I look and if I just spend $200 more the gains are big, but then at $1000 it happens again and the $1200 subs and then $1500 subs.... Every $100 more you spend on the sub just gives you noticeably more power and a larger driver.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

In terms of actual sonic performance, you can get a sub that hits 20hz at 500ish dollars. After that, it just depends on the size of your room.
Subs are pretty simple and there aren't really any other gains besides output as the price increases. Don't think that a 1500 dollar sub sounds better than a good 500 dollar one.

I guess if all you do is listen to music, a sub that just accurately goes down to 20hz would be enough. But if you are using your speakers for movies, you need the sub to create that movie theater experience. For that most people would need a $1500+ sub.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Its probably just what someone is looking for and their budget. I wouldn't get a sub with a <$2,000 budget. Personal preference. I would put my first $2,000 towards the front 3 speakers.

e: If you had $500 speakers, a $500 sub would be an improvement. But if you just spent that $1000 on speakers, it would be better.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 16, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

KillHour posted:

While we're on the subject, I'm curious what people would pick for a pair of $2k front speakers.

I think I'd strongly consider these

https://www.wharfedaleusa.com/produ...&pr_seq=uniform

I love my Ascend speakers, so I would just upgrade to Sierra-LX
but if I had infinite money I would get ELX towers
https://ascendacoustics.com/collections/elx-series

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

My first setup (after many different speakers for my computer) was a $1000 budget. I bought the cheapest receiver I could find, I think it was about $180 and refurbished. With the $800 remaining I got two Sierra-1's (https://ascendacoustics.com/)

15 years later, and many home theater upgrades, those two Sierra-1's are still my main speakers.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

smoobles posted:

Are Klipsch speakers good?

If they sound good to you, then yes. Typically I find that the more a company is spending on advertising, the less value you are getting when you buy it. Bose and Klipsh ads are all over the place. They seem to send out free test speakers to almost every youtube audio channel as well.

I personally like speaker brands that sell direct to consumers, and don't buy ads but rely on word of mouth, such as Power Sound Audio (https://www.powersoundaudio.com/) and Ascend (https://ascendacoustics.com/). They don't send free test speakers out, so the reviews you find are only from people who had to purchase the speakers themselves.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Wasn't sure where to post this, the guy who runs Power Sound Audio is trying to make space in his warehouse for shipments coming in, so he is having a sale on the EV18f model subwoofer.
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers/products/ev1813-new
Its like that one, but the woofer is a "Drivers 18" Ferrite High BL Woofer" and the price is marked down to $1280 with a 5 year full warranty.

If you are looking for a crazy powerful and accurate subwoofer, this is an amazing deal.
email the owner Tom Vodhanel at support@powersoundaudio.com
He's not listing this deal on the website its just by word of mouth.

I didn't want to post a commercial, but this is like a 60% off sale on a high end sub.

e: it weighs 123 lbs and has a 1920w amp, so make sure you are prepared for it, this isn't for apartments! :D

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 2, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

The Demilich posted:

I'm trying to connect a Monoprice 10565 5.1 system

Sorry OP, but those speakers suck rear end.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

bird with big dick posted:

Have you heard them? No? Didn’t think so.

Here’s the thing: the type of people that buy $140 surround systems are, conveniently, the type of people most likely to be perfectly happy with $140 surround systems.

Also lmao at the multiple people itt dispensing advice that can’t tell the difference between a stereo and multi channel receiver.

First, its monoprice, I use them it all the time, great for cables but horrible if you have a worst case scenario, need RMA or need customer service over the phone they are utter garbage.

Originally I wasn't going to post about the speakers, but then I clicked the link and looked at the specifications.

Giving the frequency response at -10db?? The ONLY reason they would list it that way is because they are trying to hide how badly made their product is. That's HALF volume, just to manage a measly 30Hz ~ 150Hz for the subwoofer.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Sorry OP, but those speakers suck rear end.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 17, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

bird with big dick posted:

$140 surround systems

It isn't even a sound system, its just speakers, you would still need to buy an amp.

e: ah, figures a tesla owner, that explains so much.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m looking at putting in a theater setup in a spare room and I don’t have much experience with sound systems. I’d like to go for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup but I’m not keen on running a bunch of speaker wire through the ceiling/walls. Are there any good options out there at the moment for wireless or Bluetooth surround sound? Is syncing audio with video an issue there?

What's your budget?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

This is a good point. I’ll probably stick with wired and just suck it up and do cable management.

Thanks for the responses!

Also look into "flat speaker cable"
https://www.amazon.com/FRANKEVER-Ad...90421018&sr=8-3
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42157

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Palladium posted:

how good (or bad) 30 year speakers are at bass extension per woofer inch

There is no direct relation of woofer size and bass extension. The 5.5" woofers on my main speakers go down to 43hz +-3db, I've seen 10" woofers that only go to 70hz.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

lordfrikk posted:

I have 55" LG C2 and would like to buy a basic receiver + 2.0/2.1 bookshelf speaker/sub set. My budget is at most ~1800 USD but because I'm in Europe where things can be like 30-40% more expensive in general, the recommendations should probably be more like ~1400 USD so I can fit in there.

My current living room is too small and awkwardly shaped to be able to do 5.1 which I would go for otherwise, but we are most likely going to be moving so especially the receiver should be something modern that at least supports stuff like Atmos and AirPlay, I think (feel free to shout at me for being dumb).

You would need 7 speakers to take advantage of Atmos, are you planning on adding more speakers in the next year or two?

Just a rough ballpark, I personally would spend $1000 on the 2 speakers and $400 on the receiver.

I recommend Ascend Sierra-1 bookshelf speakers. Truly amazing audio.
https://ascendacoustics.com/collections/sierra-series-pairs/products/sierra-1

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 11, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

nrook posted:

Speaking of used speakers, what's the best way to test them? I was considering upgrading my old Pioneer SP-BS22s, and I live in a big city so there's a ton of stuff on Craigslist, but unless the seller has them hooked up to something I have no clue how I'd figure out if the speakers are in good shape or not. Should I just buy sight unseen, or hope the seller has them hooked up to something to test them? In theory I could lug my receiver over too; that'd be quite inconvenient and annoying but hardly impossible.

I always ask to test the items before I hand over the cash.

When I bought my receiver through craigslist, I asked the guy to hook it up to speakers before I drove out there. I visually inspected it, played with the remote a bit, adjusted the volume. There still is some risk, but they are trying to sell it so they should be accommodating.

If someone is being a jerk about letting you test before you buy, that would be a red flag not to buy it.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I looked at the specs for two Elac speakers, are they all 6 ohms? That is kind of weird, most speakers are 8 ohms. Check to make sure the receiver can handle that.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Josh Lyman posted:

any recs for an affordable 8 or 12” subwoofer?

What is your definition of affordable?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Josh Lyman posted:

Are SVS, Hsu, REL, and Rythmik still the best bang for buck brands?

Yes, I would also add PSA - Power Sound Audio, but I don't think they have anything less than $1000

They are currently having a sale on the S2410M, dual 12" woofers, but its $1000 after the price reduction.

e: Oh yeah, Monoprice is making subs now too. I would just pray you don't need any customer service :lol:

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 15, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Xotl posted:

I just upgraded my old Logitech z906 home theatre system for my desktop to a separate DAC (Topping E70) and amp (Topping PA7). I love the sound in general, but did enjoy the oomph from the subwoofer I had with the Logitech setup. As I still have the z906 subwoofer, is there any way to connect it to the new system I have? The only remaining/unused ports on the DAC and amp are RCA, which the subwoofer also has, but I have no idea if it's possible / what's required to do it, or if it's not possible at all and I have to go and buy an entirely new type of subwoofer.

If I need a new subwoofer, any suggestions are appreciated. I've never strayed from the all-in-one style sort of system before, so this is my first foray into proper home audio.

Can you show the connection ports of the DAC? There might be a subwoofer output RCA port.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Dogen posted:

You can always try the L/R RCA ins and outs, might work.

Maybe use a Y split RCA and connect it to both right and left, incase there is an explosion in stereo, you would only get bass from the explosions on the left (or right) :lol:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Is the only way to really know to buy both and see if I can notice a difference?

Better speakers almost always sound better.

e: I don't know if you are talking about 5 speakers, but two speakers at $300 -> two speakers at $1000 is a huge upgrade, and I highly recommend that.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 2, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Right now I've got roughly $400-$500 bucks into a 5.1 Sony setup over the last...7 years? It's nothing special but functions in producing sound. We're doing an aesthetics focused living room update, and are trying to figure out if we'd get any actual benefit from "Good looks and good performance" money (max we would consider spending would be 1.5k for L and R channels combined, and then upgrading center once we see how we like the two new speakers) or if "Good looks and bad performance" money would get us the same result due to our floorplan.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Ascend Acoustic - Sierra-1 for your front 2 or 3 speakers.
https://ascendacoustics.com/collections/sierra-series-pairs/products/sierra-1

I'm never going to stop recommending these, they have good base, just great overall sound. I feel you would have to spend 4x at a big box store to get the same level of quality.

Plus its an American company, the owner responds to emails, so you get great customer service.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

FilthyImp posted:

Had amazon credit to burn and got one of the older Monoprice subs for like $60. Bigger than my old unit, which was sounding like a put-put boat after some years in storage.

I may have a problem. The old stuff was just fine, but...

Buying $60 subs and $200 speakers is still super cheap and low end. You don't have a problem :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I ended up getting a pair of KEF Q750s. They sound and look amazing. Only downside is I still have a Sony SSCS8 center channel that puts me in the situation where music sounds drastically better in 2.1, but movies still sound better in 3.1. Having a center channel is just such a game changer for movies. I suppose I'll be forced to get a matching center channel KEF.

What receiver do you have/what do you use to play music and movies? 99% of music is in stereo, so your receiver should be automatically switching based on the source material.