Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I am building a new house and want to set-up all my A/V right the first time. Ideally I'd like to run all my cable, along with HDMI to the mechanical room in the basement where I'd like to put all my cable boxes, router, etc. in a ventilated media cabinet, or even on shelves in order to get rid of the cable boxes in each room. Are there good RF remote control sensors out there that someone would suggest for this purpose?

Along with that, these cable/HDMI runs from upstairs bedrooms, etc won't exactly be 10ft. runs. Do these lengthy runs cause PQ problems in HDMI cables, or even cable for that matter.

Also, I am having the builder prewire all my speaker locations, which I will then install my own volume controls and speakers. Recommendations for user friendly/quality volume controls? And what about some good mid-range speakers for my 2.0 system in the living room. Will mainly be used for iPod music.

One of these pre-wires will be out in the patio, recessed in the ceiling of the covered patio. This is in North Idaho where the winter months can get below 0 at times. Is there are certain type of speaker I should be looking for that is "weather proof"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Hob_Gadling posted:

If you go with AirPlay, use this.

What quality files do you listen to? What's your budget for mid-range? I can heartily recommend B&W 683.

Not sure AirPlay would work. I would be trying to listen to/watch .avi, .mkv and full 1080p blu ray torrent files. Budget for mid-range would be $150ish per speaker. Is that a lot or will not get me nowhere?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Hob_Gadling posted:

Go visit a hifi shop and listen to some bookshelf speakers. Maybe a pair of Genelec or Q-Acoustic bookshelf speakers would suit you? The floorstanding Pioneers from earlier this thread might also be nice. You'll have to let your own ears decide.

I'm still interested in the music quality you'll be listening to. 128kbps MP3 or lossless FLAC? With low quality stuff you needn't invest too much into speakers. The better your source material, the more you benefit from a good pair of speakers.

Sorry, guess I should have specified. These will be in walls, both out on my patio and in the living room. More for iPod playing. I don't get to worried about the lossless FLAC bullshit :fap: just whatever is on my iPod, I don't even pay attention to the quality of all my songs. To me, it all sounds the same.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Trying to figure out the best way to set this up. The yellow tape is a 65" TV while the green is a 60". I like the 65" better but I don't know if the center channel speaker at the bottom would be too close to the floor. It is about 19" off the floor to the center of the speaker. I could put it above the TV but didn't know if that would be too close to the ceiling and cause distortion etc (The top of that vent is basically the ceiling, 6'10").

Also, that is an utility room behind the wall, so all of my equipment will be hidden with the use of a remote IR receiver. My other concern is that the speakers will technically by "in-wall" but there won't be any kind of encloser on the back end of the speaker. Should I make some kind of box to enclose them in on the back side for the sake of audio quality or will it not matter?

AzCoug fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 29, 2014

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

You definitely should box them in inside the wall, otherwise half your sound will be sent to the other room. . Basically you need to build a speaker box. The center channel will be fine as long as nothing is blocking it. I would recommend in wall speakers that have an aimable tweeter as well.

Unfortunately, none of my speakers are aimable.

Would putting the sub behind that wall be a bad thing?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Do people really place subwoofers in a different room than where the listening position is? I haven't seen that.

I was told by some tool that it didn't matter. "A sub is non-directional..."

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Naffer posted:

I'd thought about that and read some of the MB42x reviews that compare it to the MB42, but decided to just go ahead and buy the 42s because it wasn't clear how long the 42x was going to stay out of stock. I realize the crossover helps a lot, but hopefully the MB42s will be good enough for me.

After my Monoprice in-wall setup didn't work, I am thinking of going with towers and a center channel.

Any suggestions for a quality mid to low range budget set? Can I get something decent in all three speakers for $500-$600?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
What's the basic reasoning on book shelf vs. floor standing speakers.

Is it true you can get a better speaker/SQ from a bookshelf for a better value?