Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
This may seem like a weird question: considering how a receiver can downmix surround sound to 3.1 (so that the surround channels get sent to the front speakers), would it be OK to just run my surround speakers right alongside the fronts?

Background : I've been using a 3.1 setup for quite some time (Polk Monitor 50s and CS10 center, PSW10 sub, Denon 1713). I recently got Monitors 60s for cheap to use as new fronts, and I'm using the 50s as surrounds (raised them up a bit with some furniture.)

Not happy with this setup to be honest. It looks dorky and doesn't sound good to me. The 50s are just too loud and distracting, even after running Audyssey and disabling Dynamic EQ.

So I was thinking of placing them beside the fronts to have some sort of super-wide soundstage (after re-running Aydyssey of course). Will it sound terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
I would also consider getting a used home theater receiver. Doesn't have to be fancy, just make sure it has the ports you need. I personnally use an old Pioneer VSX-1017 for my office. Overpowered and kinda stupid big for stereo, but sounds great and works fine.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
I will say that 3.1 is completely fine, but make sure that the center speaker is timbre matched to the existing speakers.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
A used Denon X4400H popped off on marketplace, for $450 cad (about $350 usd)

Looks like a good deal to me (it is right?) but I'm mostly wondering about earc, which the X4400h is supposed to have after a firmware upgrade.

Now, I don't have a TV with earc yet, but I do plan to get one in the near future with HDMI 2.1 for VRR support, to use with a PC.

The X4400h is HMDI 2.0 only, but with earc, in theory, I should still get multichannel audio if i plug in the PC directly to the TV and use the earc port back to the receiver.

Would that work, or should I just wait and get a proper HDMI 2.1 receiver along with the new TV?

edit: lol, nevermind, already sold.

pofcorn fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 27, 2020

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Alfonso Cuarón's Roma. Seriously. Sounds better than most blockbuster.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Do what sounds best to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
For stereo sources I like using Dolby Surround or Auro 2d. I wouldn't use direct mode because it bypasses the audyssey calibration.