Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Since Klipsch just got mentioned: would this be a good place to ask for a computer speakers recommendation? My ancient Promedia 2.1 set has finally, permanently given up the ghost after multiple resurrections.

I'd like either a pair with decent low end or a 2.1 with a small sub. They'll generally be used for stuff other than music (YouTube etc) but when I do listen to music it's heavier (metal, industrial, etc.)

Honestly, I really liked how the Klipsch set sounded, but (a) the wiring was always finicky and prone to failure at the slightest nudge, and (b) the sub feels huge under my small desk.

I'm not dead-set on getting a "set" so I'm fine with a mix and match approach. It just seems that a bookshelf + sub + amp would be overkill for the application. Any suggestions?

edit: forgot to mention budget. Let's say <$200?

Trabant fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you both -- I'll look into monitors.

To be honest, I pulled <$200 mostly out of thin air and because the newest version of Klipsch 2.1 retails for ~$130. If the price floor for good speakers these days is higher than that, I'm OK with bumping it up.

Oh, there is also the limitation of physical size because small desk (small office, small condo) strikes again. Something with a footprint of 6"x6" or less would be best.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

CloFan posted:

I bought these a couple years ago to replace my old Philips 2.1 that finally died: Monoprice DT-4BT

They sound great! Plenty of low end but they're still balanced. I don't use the Bluetooth at all, they are just 3.5mm into my PC.

Those are unfortunately a bit too chunky for my rinky-dink desk, but I appreciate the rec :)

Tacier posted:

I went from Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s to Audioengine A2s and the sound characteristics couldn’t be more different. Even equalized and raised off the table, the A2s have a far more recessed, rounded off sound that doesn’t sparkle like the Klipsch. They look beautiful and sound good with certain types of music, but overall I still miss my Klipsch.

See, this makes me wonder if I should just bite the bullet and get another Klipsch pair, but this time pre-emptively rewire the back of the woofer to prevent it slowly falling apart.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. There's no dedicated Speakers thread, so I figured you might know: what does that triangular wedge on the Klipsch La Scala low-range cabinet actually do?

Because the actual woofer is apparently pointing backwards:

They do sound great! And given how eye-wateringly expensive they are, they better. I'm obviously not in the market, but I am curious what (if anything) the wedge does.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Ah, thanks! I was familiar with the folded part of that design but only in the context of subwoofer tubes. The "horn" part is new to me.

Just knowing the name of the design was educational and led me to this guy who was making a very similar cabinet and... gave up on it, because it wasn't responding how he had hoped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcZZlhgLCDc&t=580s

He was winging a lot (most?) of the design, by his own admission. As someone who typically takes his idiot projects to the bitter end, I wish to have that wisdom to quit when the time comes.