Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
Oops, I just posted this in the wrong thread:

I have home theater questions and it looks like this might be the best thread to ask them in.

I'm currently using the Denon AVRS530BT 5.2 Receiver. I got suckered by the advertising "maximum of 140 watts per Channel" but in reality when using the full 5 speakers for surround sound, it is more like 45W :-(

My setup is the Denon receiver with three Ascend SIERRA-1 speakers in front:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html
Two Ascend CBM-170 for surround speakers, no sub.

I've been turning the receiver up to 65-70 (out of max 100) for most movies, and that hasn't been particularly loud. The Denon has all of the features I want, but the speakers would do much better with 100-150W per channel. What would be the most cost effective way to get that?

right now woot.com has a Onkyo TX-RZ820 for $449.99, rated 130 W/Ch. But is that another fake rating?

e: Saw the warning about Onkyo in OP, should I still get it? What Yamaha receiver is equivalent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Damnit, I got suckered into expensive audiophile stuff :-( I think I spent over $1500 for the 5 speakers :-(

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

I appreciate all the help, I think I'll add a sub-woofer first and see what that gets me. Any recommendations? Does Best Buy carry a decent one?

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

15' x 19' with a few opening:

$500 would be a good price point

This is a little over price, but seems like a good one: Rythmik L12 Servo Sub?
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/subs/l12.html

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 7, 2018

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Is there any sub at Best Buy under $500 worth the money?

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

qirex posted:

For your room you're probably better off with a ported model. Rythmiks don't have the raw output of SVS or Hsu but I like sealed subs and the direct servo design speaks to my nerd brain. A VTF-2 or PB-1000 would do you really well. I think SVS is sold at Best Buy/Magnolia now so that takes the whole shipping thing out of the equation.

The aforementioned PB-1000

Would this be under-powered for my space?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/svs-10-300w-powered-subwoofer-premium-black-ash/5707705.p?skuId=5707705

e: haha you beat me to it.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

SA Forums Poster posted:

15' x 19' with a few opening:

Where in the room would be the best place for the subwoofer?

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

I'm in the market for a new reciever/amp and I'm a bit confused. I probably just need 2.0 but 3.1 wouldn't hurt.

Looking at Onkyo's website, there is:

$499
A-9150 Integrated Stereo Amplifier
2 x 60 W/Ch @ 4 Ohms

$499
TX-8270 Network Stereo Receiver
Power Watts/Ch (8 Ohms 20-20kHz, 2 Channels Driven, FTC) 100

$499
TX-RZ730 9.2 - Channel Network A/V Receiver
Power Watts/Ch (8 Ohms 1kHz, 2 Channels Driven, FTC) 100

They all cost the same, but the stereo amp seems way under powered compared to the other two. Since they are all $499 why wouldn't I just get the 9.2 Receiver?

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Looking for a new amp/receiver (old one shorted out and I don't want to bother trying to fix it).

I currently have a TV with built in Roku. I used to use the TV as the central hub and output the sound to my surround sound receiver. I don't have any other devices than the TV, no video game consoles or anything. I have no need for multiple inputs/outputs. The living room is wide open, so I don't have a nice enclosed area to control the sound.

Currently have two SIERRA-1 REFERENCE MONITOR, one SIERRA-1 CENTER, and two CBM-170 SE BOOKSHELF MONITOR for the surrounds. They sound wonderful, but the sierras have low sensitivity (87dB @ 1 watt / 1 meter).

Budget is $1,000, looking to get amps/receiver, maybe add a subwoofer for movies.
Costco has the Klipsch R-12SW subwoofer for $250 and add in a $399-499 surround receiver.

Or....
If I could get a high quality stereo amp with high output, I would just use my two sierra speakers. Can I get a good stereo receiver and amps for $1000?

Thoughts, suggestions?

e:
Something like:
Marantz PM7000N Integrated Stereo Hi-Fi Amplifier

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 30, 2020

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

qirex posted:

The Denon 800H or Marantz NR1200 are your best bet for stereo HDMI. That 7000N is supposedly really good but it costs a grand when you could get an 800H and a real sub for the same price, and you wouldn't need as beefy of an amplifier because the sub would be handling the low bass..

The Denon 800H looks nice, then I could set up zone b using my rear speakers in a different room for parties. Thanks.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

As a follow up to my previous posts, I ended up finding a Pioneer Elite SC-37 used on craigslist for $380 ($2,200 MSRP in 2010). Upgrading from a Denon AVR-S540BT, supposedly 70W/channel, to 140W/channel is HUGE. I haven't been able to raise it higher than -10db, and at that level it was hurting my ears from across the room.

It only has HDMI V.1.4a, but my TV has a Roku built in, and I use that for video switching, with the Pioneer receiver handling audio.

Next upgrade will be adding a sub-woofer. I think I will save my money and get myself a Christmas preset of a Rythmik Audio E15 Direct Servo subwoofer.

Current setup:
TCL 55" Roku TV
Pioneer Elite SC-37 receiver
Two Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 Reference Monitors
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 Center

e: Speaker wire, I thought bigger is better and got 12 Gauge. This poo poo is way too thick, it is so hard trying to get it into connections. Do yourself a favor and stick to 18 gauge.

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 8, 2020

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

fridge corn posted:

How important is the centre channel in a 5.1 setup?

The problem I have is my tv sits very low and I have nowhere to put a centre speaker without it obscuring the screen. I could get a little pedestal or something to raise the height of the tv but I kinda like the height it sits at now relative to everything else in the room. I'm currently using a 4.0 setup with cheap LG speakers that I want to upgrade so I'd be looking for something that has a very low profile centre speaker, or if it's not that important then whatever

Center is the most important just behind the front left,right. Most of a movie's dialog will come from the center channel.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

The Perfect Element posted:

The only setting I can change which resolves the issue is switching the audio output format to pcm, which means I lose 5.1 benefits.

I have no idea how to resolve this issue, and it's annoying as hell. Any ideas?

It was my understanding that PCM was uncompressed audio. You will get the full 5.1 audio...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

I personally hate the sound of horn speakers, and vote that this is the perfect time to upgrade away from Klipsch brand.