Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm looking to buy a speaker system for father's day, since my dad just bought a new LED TV and his old Sony 5.1 HTIB has been on the fritz lately. I can tell that he's adamantly against another 5.1 system, due to the cable mess, so what's my best bet in the ~$300 range? I know that sound bars are hated, and I wouldn't get one for myself, but they seem like a good bet for him - they're better than stock speakers, at least, and the clutter is relatively minimal. Or could I cobble together a better system in the same price range? He watches a lot of sports and the occasional Netflix movie, so I don't know if he needs 2.1 or 3.1.

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I just moved into a new place and already got my new TV (55" LG E8), and I'm thinking about a speaker setup to go with it. I'm in a small apartment (700 sq. ft.), so I'm leaning towards starting with 2.0 and upgrading to 3.1 in the future. Is a Denon X1400H from A4L and a pair of KEF Q150s a good starting setup?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The Q150s jumped up in price, so I just got some refurb Q350s from A4L along with the X1400H. Any suggestions for speaker stands?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm in for suggestions too. I need a pair for my LS50 but I don't want to spend $400

Maybe these?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FP3BMCF/
They're priced right...

I ended up ordering the Monoprice Monolith stands - I'll let you know how they work out!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I ordered the stuff mentioned above (Denon X1400H and KEF Q350 from A4L, Monoprice Monolith stands) and I'm insanely happy with this setup

A sub is next on my list, probably in a month or two

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I got an open box SVS PB-1000 this past week and it's fantastic

I'm really happy with my current setup (KEF Q350, SVS sub) - just waiting for a deal on the Q650 center speaker now

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm using an X1400H with my Q350s and it's extremely need-suiting, A4L has it for $280 (and the X1500H for $300)

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm using the X1400H and loving it. The only thing missing vs the X1500H is the volume overlay in 4K mode, but I can just see it on the receiver LCD itself

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
If you can save a bit more, I think SVS offers specials on Black Friday. I've been using a PB-1000 paired with KEF Q350s and a Denon X1400H and it's a mindblowingly great setup for my small apartment.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I got mine as an Open Box deal for $419 from Amazon, and it was in flawless shape. Looks like they're $429 right now

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Also consider KEF Q150s, they're down to $300/pair at the moment, and A4L has the refurbs for $270. You could pair it with a cheap Denon (https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs540bt/denon-avr-s540bt-5.2-ch-x-70-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html) and stay under $500

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

interrodactyl posted:

Any recommendations for bookshelf speaker stands? I'm also considering building floating shelves for them, but not that committed yet.

Been using these for my Q350s and they've been great: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24794

They also have them in cherry wood now

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Hey guys, could use a bit of advice on downsizing my system a bit. Five years ago, I went with a pair of KEF Q350s on monoprice stands and a SVS PB-1000 into an AVR-X1400H, all connected to an E8 OLED. I just moved in with my girlfriend, and with the layout of the place, I'd like to go with smaller (and better looking, if possible!) speakers, while possibly keeping the sub.

I'm looking at the KEF LSX II, since I already know I like the KEF sound, and they're small enough that they can comfortably sit on the console below the mounted TV. If I understand correctly, since the LSXs are active and have HDMI ARC and sub inputs, can I get the speakers and ditch the receiver, plugging my devices (Apple TV, PS5) into the TV and then connecting the TV to the speakers with the ARC port? I'm not opposed to keeping the receiver either, but it seems like going with this solution would make life easier for people who don't want to juggle multiple remotes. Are there any alternatives I should consider? I figure this would sound better than a soundbar, at least...

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

trilobite terror posted:

I would keep the receiver and go with something like LS50 Metas. You can buy them as single speakers if you want to do a center channel. They go on sale pretty regularly too.

I can definitely swing the LS50s price-wise! They seem to be a bit bigger than I'd like, but I showed them to my GF and she's on board. We'd just have to put them on the media console - she's not a fan of the speaker stands.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

trilobite terror posted:

Ok but if you want to save money they go on sale quite a bit, and they also pop up on A4L as KEF factory refurbs (basically like new) at pretty steep discount.

If you wanna pop them up higher while they’re on the console you can make/get some basic wood bases pretty easily or grab a pair of yoga blocks from Amazon in the color/material of your choice. A lot of ppl who don’t like the color or finish of foam blocks like them in cork.

Also get them in blue

Perfect! I actually bought my entire setup (except the TV and sub) from A4L. It looks like they only have the wireless ones available, but I'm in no rush to buy right now.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

curried lamb of God posted:

Perfect! I actually bought my entire setup (except the TV and sub) from A4L. It looks like they only have the wireless ones available, but I'm in no rush to buy right now.

Update: A4L just got a bunch of KEF refurbs in stock, so I grabbed the LS50 Metas in white (gf-approved color)!

They also have the KC62 available in each color, and I admit I'm tempted. Has anybody compared it to the SVS 3000 Micro? I currently have an SVS PB-1000 (the old one); either of these would be considerably smaller and more gf-approved.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Another update: I did end up grabbing a KC62 refurb from A4L. I still need to re-run Audyssey, but so far it sounds great and more importantly, it makes my girlfriend much happier with our living room setup. For what it's worth, if any of you are in the DC area and want a good deal on a pair of Q350s and/or a PB-1000, feel free to DM me!

This is more of a question for down the line - I currently have a 55" LG E8, and I'm looking to upgrade to a 2023/2024 65" model later in the year. I'll also upgrade my receiver, since I'm currently using a Denon X1400H and it doesn't support HDMI 2.1. Given that my LS50 Metas can draw up to 100W, should I go for an X3700H/X3800H for more power, or stick with the X1700H/X1800H? I don't have any plans to go beyond a 2.1 setup - this is more than enough for my needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
That makes perfect sense, thanks guys. The speakers are about 10 feet away from our couch, so we have no reason to turn them up that much, and we have neighbors on each side (brownstone/row house). Since we're not going beyond 2.1 for the foreseeable future, I'll stay with the X1x00H series.