Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

jonathan posted:

My recipe for a budget build that will still destroy a $2800 Bose setup:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-PK51FS
$519 (Andrew Jones designed 5.1 setup that sounds as good as speakers costing 2x as much)

Would upgrading to this speaker system (plus a nice receiver) be an upgrade, sidegrade, or downgrade from Logitech Z-5500's? The control unit for the Logitech system has been randomly shutting itself off for months now and I'm trying to decide if I should go through the hassle of a return/replacement or just get a better setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
So I'm looking to upgrade my living room sound system from an old Logitech Z-5500 setup. I'm limited by space due to living in a smaller NYC apartment, so I can't really do any large floor standing speakers. The sub size is also pretty limited, and would ideally be around the size of the Z-5500 sub or the Definitive Technology ProSub 800 listed in my google doc below.

After reading this thread and doing a bunch of research I put together several setup options, focused primarily around Aperion, Klipsch, and Polk speakers. I'm open to any suggestions (mixing/matching components from any option, alternatives, cheaper alternatives that are just as good or better, etc...), as long as the speakers are in the same general size range.

Take a look! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtGktDovbVx7dFhtR282MDZTbTdna1hXaVRvOUJPSHc&usp=sharing