Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Hope this is the right thread, though the answer is likely going to be simpler than I'm making it.

We are currently renovating the kitchen and the idea came up to maybe use the chance to put in some ceiling speakers. The kitchen is next to, but walled off from, the dining room where our audio system is set up. Our stuff is older - an older turntable and a Marantz 2270 receiver. I like to listen to records while I cook, but it can be hard to hear from the living room, so the idea of having it play in the kitchen is nice. But, I don't want to run wire from the kitchen, meaning that if we did something it would have to be wireless. That said, I also don't want to totally bypass our current receiver and speakers in the dining room.

Most bluetooth or wireless attachments I see talk about it in the context of streaming music <i>to</i> your older equipment. What I'm trying to figure out is if it's possible to stream music <i>from</i> our current set-up to speakers in the kitchen. From what I can tell, the only way is basically to not use the Marantz and instead connect the turntable directly to something like the Sonos Amp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Thanks for the responses. I realize I have a few conditions here that make this probably not possible, at least not in any kind of ideal way. We're only opening up the kitchen, and absolutely not doing anything to the walls of the living room, which are plaster above wainscotting, so running speaker line in the walls won't happen. I was thinking that we could do something like a Sonos Amp + built-in speakers, in which case I think we'd be going directly from the turntable.

This is probably a dumb question but do AV switchers exist? Like, could I run the turntable to a switcher, and run out to A) a Sonos Amp for the kitchen, and B) the Marantz to use in the living room?

Sorry for the probably basic questions. I know very little about audio equipment. Often what I think a component does isn't actually what it does. For example, if I search for AV switcher, they all seem to do multiple inputs to one output, whereas I want the opposite.