Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I have been using the Logitech z-5500 computer speakers as my surround for a long time but I just purchased a new 60" t.v. and feel like I should have a real system.

How much better would a 5.1 system like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1297439287&sr=1-1

and a decent ($300)http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-RC260-7-2-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003FSTAVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1297440551&sr=1-1 receiver sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I picked up the set Jonathan recommended and couldn't be happier. The center speaker is larger than I was expecting so until I can get a stand for my tv to hang on it has to sit on the floor in front of my tv stand.

I read the book but didn't see an answer. Is there a reason when I have my iPhone plugged in the sub doesn't output anything?

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

jonathan posted:

set all your speakers to "small" in the menu, and set your subwoofer crossover function to 80hz (and on the sub itself, turn the crossover dial as high as it will go)

modern receivers, when speakers are set to large, send all freqencies to the speakers, and nothing to the sub unless there is an LFE track (such as in dolby digital and dts tracks)

setting to "small" tells the receiver to send signals lower than x hz to the subwoofer, plus the lfe track if it exists. THX specifies an 80hz crossover, and doint it this way also allows your receiver to have more overhead for peaks in frequencies above 80hz. it will sound better and go louder this way.

I will give this a try, thanks.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I randomly get some kind of static when first turning on the receiver. At first I thought it was just my PS3 not being configured right but now my uverse box did it also. If I turn the receiver off and back on it is gone. When the static is there no other sound comes out.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I would like to do surround for my living room. The wiring for the speakers is around 9 ft up. There is not a wall below as it’s kind of an open concept. Would any kind of in-wall be an option? I know some you can get with directional horns. Do I just need some bookshelf and angle them down?

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

Not sure if this is better in this thread or the hdtv thread but I grabbed a new receiver (denon avr s650h) and am having what I believe are handshake issues between devices and my tv. I’ve tried different high speed cables but still have the same issue. All devices work fine on normal 4K but 4K HDR at 60hz, Dolby vision, and rgb on the ps4 all experience issues. Hooking directly to the tv devices are fine.

On the avs forum I found a suggestion to purchase an EDID manager to put between the receiver and tv.

Anyone have any experience with these devices? I went ahead and ordered one from amazon but am traveling all week so can’t test it until this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

Yeah everything is updated. It seems like a semi common issue with LG oled TVs and certain devices (especially the ps4). This is the 2017 oled c7 I think. Not sure if newer ones have the same problem. The other device I have issues with is the 4K Apple TV. Xbox one s works fine.