Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think this is still $250 with a coupon. I think I'm going to get this guy.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/accessories/538283781/denon-avr-591

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Looking for a basic setup for my mom. I got a soundbar for her but the new TV I got her doesn't have a digital TOSlink (just coaxical) so it has an annoying HUM using an RCA cable. I know I can get something to kill the hum but unless I wall mount it it's kind of in the way anyways.

Got the TV with an xbox 360, dvd player, roku, etc. All connected via HDMI. Just looking for a nice simple setup. Two speakers on eachside of the TV stand, really. She mostly just uses it for pandora, TV, netflix, etc. Then my nieces use the xbox.

I was thinking of this receiver -

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR509-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B004O0TRCO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1329264803&sr=8-4

this much more expensive receiver -

Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-RC360 7.2-Channel Network Audio/Video Receiver (Black): Electronics

or this much cheaper receiver -

Amazon.com: Sony STRDH520 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver (Black): Electronics

This sub -

Amazon.com: Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black): Electronics

or this much cheaper sub -

Amazon.com: Sony SA-W2500 Performance Line 100 Watt Subwoofer: Electronics

And these speakers -

Amazon.com: Sony SS-F6000 Floorstanding 4-Way Speakers (Pair, Black): Electronics

There's not really anywhere else to put more speakers.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 15, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks for the response. I'll be getting the TX-NR509 receiver

You've swayed me to the PSW10 sub. Same price as the Sony but seems to have better reviews.

I think I'll stick with those Sony speakers. $120 a pair can't be beat. And the reviews are stellar.

Does speaker wire really matter? Just get some 16 gauge stuff off amazon? (I'm ordering it all off amazon) I've never put together a proper home theater. I have all the HDMI cables, a logitech 700 remote and such so I should be good.

I know this is a silly question but I assume the sub connects via speaker wire?

I may get a center speaker but unless I wall mount it it'll get in the way.

Thanks a lot for all the help!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

gently caress it.

Finished my moms home theater for the next long while.

Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker - Two of these at $130 each. I was going to get the Sony but amazon sold out today and it was 3rd party. I needed it by this weekend and Newegg has guarantee 3 day and is in the same state.

Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer

Some reviews said you could survive without a sub. But what the hell, $100.

Onkyo TX-NR509 5.1 Channel Network A/V Receiver

50' 16-Gauge Speaker Wire

Should work well enough?

Andddd I'm spent. (No pun intended). Great son or greatest?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh ok. I have the white/red one that goes from my soundbar to the TV right now. I'm assuming that would work? Thanks for the reply. Otherwise I'm sure I have some yellow/red/white RCA cables lying around. Same poo poo?

-edit - Yep, google says it's fine. Some people say you might have interference if it isn't shielded but then another dude said only if you have a 50' cable. We'll ese.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 16, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Felt it was worth a cross-post

Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer for $89.99

I paid $106 just last week. Great sub for the price. Definitely recommend

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks for all the help with my set-up guys. I'm definitely going to have to recommend it for an entry level entertainment center.

Onkyo TX-NR509

Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker

I was going to get these Sony speakers but they just sold out so I spent the extra and got the above.

Thanks for all the help with my set-up guys. I'm definitely going to have to recommend it for an entry level entertainment center.

Onkyo TX-NR509

Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker

I was going to get these Sony speakers but they just sold out so I spent the extra and got the above.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 23, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Onkyo TX-NR509

Posted above

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR509-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B004O0TRCO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329953989&sr=1-1

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Subwoofer for $79.99

Got it for my mom, great sub

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

XtremeMac InCharge Bluetooth Audio Receiver and 10W Charger for iPhone, iPod, iPad, Smartphones and Tablets $15 shipped

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So I'm looking for a new sub to compliment my soundbar but which will eventually in the distant future be part of an entry level home theater system. Nothing fancy, medium room. Don't want anything too big. Been watching some sales the past couple of days

BIC America F12 12-Inch $184

Which is highly recommended everywhere. Just a bit worried about size.

Polk Audio PSW10 $100

Then the PSW10 which is always a solid choice. Seems to always be around $100 and sometimes on sale for around $80. Got this for my mom and it does sound great for the price.

Then these two

Jamo SUB 210 $100

JBL ES150PBK $160

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

angryhampster posted:

If you're on a budget and/or worried about size, BIC's small sub is surprisingly good.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-AMERICA-V-80-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00009WBYK/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409067278&sr=1-23

I've got it for my 5.1 system in a fairly large room. It obviously doesn't have the boom that a big 12 will but it's really great for the size.

Awesome, thanks

-edit reviews were convincing just ordered. Thanks again!

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 26, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hey so I got my BIC v-80 sub and it keeps blowing fuses. I'm trying to connect it to my vizio VSB200 soundbar using a regular sub audio cable. It'll make a quick loud sound then the fuse is blown. I thought maybe it's because the volume on the sub wasn't set at 0. So I connected the sub directly to a wall outlet, made sure the sound levels were 0, made sure the sub was off, and when I went to turn it on the same thing happened.

The fuse in the sub is 1A 250v so I got some bussman fuses that are 1A and say "Use in circuits up to and including 250 volts to 3 amps." And they're the same exact size as the stock one so I assume that's not the issue.

So what's up? Faulty sub? Try to send back to amazon? Am I an idiot and missing something here?

-edit sent it back to amazon probably going to order another hopefully there isn't another underlying issue

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 3, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Damnit, couldn't find this thread!

Klipsch Quintet 5-Channel Home Theater System - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/145428

Good deal? Looking to build a system for a very small home entertainment area

Also random question. My TV area is tucked away in a corner. Say I got extra speakers for the other side of my place to listen to music etc could I only have those turn on? I wouldn't mind everything being on during say, music, but wouldn't want them all on during a movie.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 12, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh yeah that's not all I would get, sorry. definitely get a sub and good receiver. I set my mom up with a PSW10 and a really popular brand of tall floor standing speakers (name is escaping me now, damnit) and an onkyo receiver and it booms. But I think that's definitely overkill for my size/needs

I don't really care much for surround sound and 5.1 7.1 bs or whatever for movies. Just want a nice sound.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The 3rd being the center channel which is speech, correct? And most people neglect to get it? Definitely going to want at least 1 speaker to wire to another area. Receivers seem pretty fancy these days. Ideally I'd want something i could easily get music going or turn my tv/system on with a Logitech universal remote. I'd say my budget is $800-1,000

Something clear/crisp but small. Don't care much for extra bass

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

I had similar needs. Apartment setup.
I picked up a Denon AVR-X2000, Micca MB42X-C for a center channel and Micca MB42X for left and right. Got a Polk PSW505 sub on sale, but before I saw that I was just going to get a cheap 10 or 12" dayton off of amazon.

The speakers are on amazon, the reciever I got here
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2000/denon-avr-x2000-7.1-ch-4k-ultra-hd-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html
It turned out to be refurbished, which doesn't bother me at all.

Came out to be under $800, I think.

How's the spotify work? Control it from your phone or is it purely through the receiver? It's discontinued but $500 on amazon. $350 refurbished (could care less as well). Not in too much of a rush so might wait for a sale on another receiver, subs, or speakers. I know monoprice is making some ok cheap stuff.

The BIC America F12 is the other really popular brand of sub, correct? Just above the PSW10. That one booms at my moms place so probably overkill for my needs. Again I appreciate bass and filling in the lows etc but am really looking for a nice crips/clear sound

In relation to my previous question, my computer is in the same room. Could I hook it up to my receiver via, say, optical, and just have 2 small bookshelf speakers on my desk for sound using the same sub? Leaving the ones near the TV off.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Welp, on the topic of subs and making a system I might just spoil myself with this bad boy

12" SVS SB12-NSD 400W Compact Sealed Subwoofer $470 - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/145582

Seems a bit more music orientated and good for small areas

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nvm

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 14, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Infinity Primus Floorstanding Speaker for $99

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

-edit nvm just picked this up

Sony ht-rt5 that has 3 HDMI inputs

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 9, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Need some help!

I play tech support for my mom and got her this setup a bit ago. The sub auto on isn't working.

Onkyo NR509

Polk PSW10

Just recently gave her my old TV which is a Vizio M-60 C3

The auto on is finicky, but hasn't realy been turning on at all anymore. With the old TV it seemed like the sub auto on always worked. It didn't have ARC, however. The ARC works seamless and the speakers power on automatically and switch audio with all devices, which is great, Does anyone have any ideas as to the sub auto on? If I unplug the sub cable and plug it back in while audio is going and auto-on is set it will turn on.

Also is there anyway to play audio through the receiver, say VIA ipod/USB, and keep the TV off? Or is that just a downfall of using ARC?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It doesn't seem like it does but I'll double check

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So like an idiot I started googling about more home audio stuff and just discovered timbre and all that

Anyways it's two Polk audio monitors and an onkyo tr509 receiver, and PSW10 sub

From extensive googling it seems like the polk CS20 is ideal. Problem is I'd likely have to wall mount it behind the TV, but the TV site 2-3' feet in front of the wall on a stand and the speakers are on the side

I saw TV mounts but their weight limit is 10lbs. The CS20 is about 20 lbs. I did see a lot of <10 lbs centers but now I'm wondering about matching timbre 🤔

There's a monoprice platform shelf thing that screws into the VESA holes but it's for 400x380 and the TV is 400x400.

Is it ok if the center channel sits a bit behind everything? There's no room below/under the TV as the stand doesn't allow for it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh didn't think of those soundbar brackets. I saw them searching but skimmed over thinking it wouldnt handle the weight. That one says it's good for 33 lbs...

The CS20 is pretty massive though. It would hang over the TV really far and look a bit goofy

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It's really big and in retrospect probably doesn't have any mounting holes in the back at all

:eyepop:

Maybe it'd be far enough away from the wall that it'd be fine on a wall mount lol

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh sorry guys, that's just a picture I took off amazon so you could get an idea of the size

I'm thinking I might just mount the drat thing for my mom and maybe run some cables through the wall. It's a pretty old place but can't be that hard, eh? Otherwise using cable hiders

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Polk Audio 10" PSW10 Powered Subwoofer $75 free ship

Good sub good price

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Do most receivers have an onscreen display when playing music, even if not via the TV? I remember my friends receiver did that and it was an annoying "feature" that you couldn't turn off. I like to often stream music throughout my home while I'm farting around so Spotify wifi streaming in the receiver via wifi is a must or at least really good Bluetooth.

I'm trying to convince myself to just deal with the lack of space and get a nice 3.1 setup. Seems soundbars often have more of those streaming features etc though, receivers seem more bare bones in that regard

I really don't get receiver pricing. It seems some of the $300-400 ones have all the same exact features as a $800 one. Though I guess it's not a huge deal if I'm not doing 5.1/7.1, which is I think where the price increase comes from. I set my mom up with a decent system years ago but I'm still quite oblivious to it all. I have a Samsung KS800 TV, Xbox one s, and a PS4 pro. So need 4k and HDR. Do receivers upscale to 4k? Is it poo poo? Have a wii-u and firestick.

Also I can't sleep and got stuck in the black hole of reading about home audio online. Y'all make this poo poo confusing as gently caress. After much googling, everything tells me I just need to buy this 😩

But my wallet and lack of space is saying no. Though most of the soundbars I was looking at were about that price. I don't need the rears, but might be able to jury rig something in the future

Help 😭😭

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 26, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Is there a seamless way to say, have one rear in two separate rooms, then use whatever app to only play in said room + sub, for example? Something intuitive?

-edit wait poo poo I'd have to run wires everywhere. Is this possible with a receive and wifi speakers?

Being the holiday I'm sure we'll see lots of sales, but I did see this one:

Marantz NR1607 Ultra HD 7.2 Channel Network A/V Surround Receiver with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi $500 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EHWFCRM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_c0bkzbQJJD37D

Someone pointed out that 50w per channel is really underpowered. Sure I'd be fine though

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

-edit nvm

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 27, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Been reading a lot about the Sonos playbar vs Bose sound touch 300

I've read a lot about the details and features. If you personally had to pick one of the above options coupled with the sub, which and why?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

qirex posted:

I haven't used all of them but from what I've read Sonos probably sounds a little better, still has far and away the best software for music and is the easiest to set up. I have a couple Sonos in my place and I like them a lot. The Bose has HDMI and comes with a remote; it seems odd for the Sonos to not include even one for just volume control. I'm not really a fan of Bose [or soundbars for that matter] so I might not be the best person to ask though. For that amount of money you could get some serious performance out of regular gear.

I spent hours on google/reddit/etc last night.

Conclusions I came to, in case anyone cares. And yes, to reiterate and preface, a traditional set-up is a much better bang for your buck.

- same price. $700 sub and soundbar sold separate
- Both have optional speakers for a whole house set-up, zone control, etc
- Sonos speakers can be used as rears, or in another room. The bose has designated tiny rear speakers that are pretty much poo poo from what I've read. So if you want 5.1, Sonos
- Sonos has a much more intuitive and seamless app/set-up
- Some people have issues with whole house sonos and the wifi, etc. Definitely didn't seem to be commplace, so who knows if they just have cement walls, a $20 router, or what.
- Sonos sub is much more clear and less about shaking windows, arguably better
- Both have $40 wall-mount brackets that are almost required if you want to wall-mount (there are other options, sure)
- Sonos is bare bones. No HDMI, thus, no ARC. No bluetooth. Optical only pretty much. Which is fine these days since most all TVs these days handle all that HDMI switching/optical/whatever great
- Both sound good, definitely different? Sonos is better for music?
- Bose has better aesthetics, arguably?
- Bose is newer and thus might do whatever DTS poo poo better depending on your device (I don't know anything about 5.1 etc and BTS, etc etc). Bose also has some newer hardware changes? Something to do with the bass I think? Which, if you use a sub, is moot

More specific things that applied to my situation:
- Both support spotify connect and almost every other internet streaming (reading about some issues with the Sonos though?)
- Sonos supports apple music via the app, bose doesn't at all--you'd have to use bluetooth
- Sonos might get alexa support? I read a lot of various information about future alexa/siri for both

Probably a lot more that I'll think of in 15 minutes. So yeah, seems Sonos is the best bet if you don't need the extra features of the bose

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

No. Sorry, don't mean to be a oval office. But every time someone mentions soundbar on SA that person is dogpiled into oblivion about a traditional setup and it grows tiring. Not saying that's happening here. I get many are just simple consumers caught up in the marketing. As for me, I understand the benefits, and when I have a place that isn't the size of a shoebox I'll look into a 5.1 proper.

On that note, do receivers do the whole house setup well? From what I've read, the Sonos is top notch when it comes to having the same or different poo poo playing in multiple rooms, multiple separate speaker options, etc

Anyways buying a used Sonos sub/bar pair so YOLO. Anyone have one mounted? That and the bose have $40 proprietary mounting brackets. Not sure if I'll get some sort of shelf or just two bars that stick out to support it

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 28, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Are you aware of machines? I was surprised to find out they were a thing--I've heard they work well, pun intended

Marpac Dohm-DS All Natural Sound Machine, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HD0ELFK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_I5Ymzb86W3QPA

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Got a sonos email sub is $100 off via sonos and 2 play 1s are $50 off.

Definitely not the best deal by any means but I suppose worth sharing? 🤷🏽‍♀️

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

qirex posted:

I wish Sonos would make a ~$400 baby sub as well.

It's much heaver than it looks, solid build. Definitely more weight than you'd expect. I also love the design, wouldn't mind a matte option. I think I read in the manual you can also lie it flat? I could definitely go 2" down in size tho ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

is HDMI better than optical in any way? Well, I guess for ARC...? But if you run optical to your TV then HDMi will still work via the TV HDMI ports...right?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's a trap! CEC never actually works properly.

Yeah CEC is an amazing concept but I wish it was more standard across the board

Also don't want my ps4 to turn on every time I turn on my TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That's the problem with CEC. One item with poor or nonexistent CEC support ruins it all

I love the idea.