Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turb
Oct 15, 2004
About to be upgrading my whole sound system from a last generation huge shelf system. I play mostly music some TV and movies all from my desktop computer. I have a tendency to play music of many genres for long periods of time at a very high volume. Id like to keep my budget around 800 for a 2.0 or 2.1 setup and I dont mind coming back for the sub later to get quality stuff up front.

Right now I'm thinking the pioneer vsx 821 paired with polk monitor70s this puts me around 620 or so. The monitor70's are bi amp able and are rated for up to 275 watts while the receiver only puts out 110 per channel.

Is it possible to run the receivers rear channel outputs to the front speakers second input while running in stereo?

If not would I be able to pick up a 100 watt per 2 channel raw amplifier and work that in the system to bring 210 watts to each speaker using this receiver?

Would this accomplish a setup capable of safely blasting music for long periods of time?

Should I be worried that all sound would be transferred via a silly headphones audio jack to RCA connection and are there options of getting a better sound card that would have a digital output?

What kind of budget but huge sub should I be looking for to keep pace with this setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turb
Oct 15, 2004

Hob_Gadling posted:

If you are going stereo, get a stereo receiver. The main advantages of AV receivers are multi-channel setups, multiple sources and video passthrough, all of which are wasted on a 2.0 computer-only system (I take it you're watching movies from your computer monitor). It's worth it if you want to expand to 5.1 on a later date or use it in a home theater setup or something like that.

One example of a stereo receiver you could consider. You can bi-wire the speakers with this. About the maximum I'd spend for a stereo amp in your case would be for a Marantz PM5004, and even then it'd make more sense to spend more on speakers and less on amp.

Seems to me(unless I am missing something which is very possible) this would supply less power for a higher price than the pioneer and I will almost surely be going home theater at some point in the time I plan on owning this setup(sorry should have specified)

quote:

Get an USB DAC if you're worried about the sound quality. You need to do the digital to analog conversion somewhere: in practice I haven't noticed a difference between doing it in receiver or (reasonable quality) DAC.

What I'd do is try the setup with 3,5mm to RCA first. If you get electric interference then get an external USB soundcard.

Ok cool

quote:

Unless you're dead set on getting a lot of bass, you'd be better off by investing into speakers that can go lower. Music is mostly a 2-channel deal.

I am very much set on a lot of bass, I do love to throw dance partys!

Any help on the other questions or product suggestions greatly appreciated

Turb
Oct 15, 2004

jonathan posted:

A very thought-out and informative post

Thank you very much this makes a lot of sense to me and probably is the way I will go, Im thinking umc1 processor, check Craigslist for a used amp, and go to a nice store and test out a lot of different speakers will be the way to go

Will update whenever this all comes together!