Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

My Onkyo TX-NR777 started producing a buzzing/humming noise from the speakers that I can't seem to get rid of. I've tried all the ground loop fixes I can find, different cables, turning off ARC, switching to direct inputs, etc. We had some electrical work done on the house recently which is the only thing I can think of that's changed. It's also been weird with the Apple TV 4K (guessing CEC issues since it turns back on and off quickly when I shut everything off) and sometimes makes a very loud buzzing at that point. Is it worth more troubleshooting? It's 5 years old but was working fine until recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I grabbed the Denon that Costco always has and it got rid of the buzzing noise. Sorry old Onkyo but you’re outta here.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

That Denon is currently $100 off. I just bought one last night.

Thanks - costco gave me the $30 back

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Well my Pro-ject Carbon turntable seems to have died. It's making a buzzing sound I can't get rid of using all the normal ground loop fixes. Tried new cables and speakers. This sucks!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Dogen posted:

Do those have a preamp or could it be your preamp?

Also turntables are so simple that if you can’t get it serviced by them there’s probably a repair shop that will fix it if you live in a decent size city

Also I assume you’ve checked the headshell, cart wiring etc

It's got a built in preamp. I opened the little screwbox the RCA and USB outlets are in but didn't want to mess with the wiring. Tried reconnecting the cartridge and stuff yeah. Definitely going to look at getting it fixed as it's just too expensive to replace.