Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Any recommendations for a VERY slim center channel bar? My TV has to sit on a fireplace, so elevating it any higher is kind of out of the question, as it's already quite high (about 4 feet at the base).

TV is a Panasonic Viera GT25, so it's only got about 4 inches of height at the base before the screen starts, so if I got something like the Polk cs20 it would cover up a good 3 inches of the TV unless I elevated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I have the Polk studio 70s and a psw-10 through a Panasonic 1020-k. Thanks, that'll give me a great starting point! (unless you have any further recs based on that info).

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

How far is too far to run HDMI and speaker cables before I'm starting to worry about delay issues?

Basically, my wife HATES where our media cabinet is, as it's right next to the fireplace and looks weird. The problem is, unless I shelf the media gear IN the fireplace (which I've thought about since we'll never use it), then I have to put it all the way in the dining room, which would mean I would need to run about 30 feet of HDMi and between 30 and 50 feet to each speaker.

Not to mention figure out some way to transmit infrared remote signals if I don't want to aim the remote over the couch every time I have to change channels.

Rrrrgh. Girls.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

^^^ I did not know this RF system thing existed, but apparently there's an adapter for the harmony 900, which I have.

So does the RF box just repeat signals in IR near the equipment? As in, no further setup required besides that?

Hob_Gadling posted:

You might want to read this.

perfect. That was the information I could not find.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Is it okay to use a wireless line level send to get a signal to my powered sub? I don't want to run a 30 foot RCA cable to it and there are no speaker outs for the .1 on my receiver. It seems like it would be not a problem at all, but you never know.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

I have the 1020-k and I love it.

What do you mean by no audio passthrough? There's a toggle for the HDMI out where you can either set it to run into the speakers connected to the unit, or straight through to the television.

It also supports the ARC from the television.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Any opinions on the Polk TL3 center channel in combination with some Monitor 70s and a PSW-10? Not a lot of space so 6 in x 6 in is pretty much perfect. I'd love the CS2 but it would just look awful and block the bottom inch of my screen.

Receiver is the Pioneer VSX-1021K.

The price is right but spending another $100 isn't out of the question for the right item.

edit: if i absolutely have to, I could probably go as high as 7 inches and as deep as 9 inches. Sky's the limit with width up to about 4 feet though. But that would get the wifey complaining, so TL3 size really is ideal.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 16, 2011

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Any opinions on the Polk TL3 center channel in combination with some Monitor 70s and a PSW-10? Not a lot of space so 6 in x 6 in is pretty much perfect. I'd love the CS2 but it would just look awful and block the bottom inch of my screen.

I ended up getting this anyway and it's pretty loving great. I haven't gone through the full line of tests with it, but it has an amazingly full sound for such a tiny little speaker.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah my 2011 1021k worked over HDMI right away, I was actually confused by what you guys were talking about.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

I got a pair of RM7s on sale for $60 at new egg. Just FYI. The RM7s are super tiny and wall mount really easily. I think they're under 2 lbs.

The Monitor 30s are about 16 lbs, about a foot tall, maybe 8 inches deep.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Well, my pioneer vsx1021 broke just 11 days out of warranty, and repairing will cost more than a new one, even though the issue is apparently just the face of the unit.

I'm not going to buy a 1022, any recommendations for a good receiver? I've got a 5.1 setup, and aside from at least 4 Hdmi inputs and speaker terminals, I just want something good and reliable that will last more than one loving year. I'll spend 500-1000 if necessary. I've got Polk monitor 30s for fronts and tsis for center/rears and a psw10. I pretty much just watch movies and tv.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 11, 2012

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

That looks fantastic, and is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I'll keep my eye out for a deal, thanks for the recommendation.

I love that it has 3 1-star reviews on amazon due to not having gapless playback.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

I'm happy enough with 5.1, I live in an apartment and don't have a dedicated media room. The wife would definitely kill me if there were suddenly 13 speakers in our living room.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

I'm thinking about dropping a dime on the Onkyo TX-NR818. Gonna sleep on it, but it looks pretty great. Anyone want to talk me out of it? It has everything I'm looking for, it is $300 more than the 717 but it has the MultEQ XT32 room calibration, which I've heard is really one of the best around. Plus it's on sale for $800, which camelcamelcamel is telling me is pretty low.

I've got:
Center - Polk TL3
Fronts - POLK AUDIO MONITOR70B II R
Rears - POLK AUDIO RM 7 Satellite
Sub - Polk Audio PSW10
A pioneer 50" GT-30 plasma

Probably will end up adding the 6 and 7 channel at some point, but that's not a big deal for now.

Anyone have a rec on a power conditioner though? My power fluctuates a bit too much for comfort in my (old) house. At least it's grounded. Either way, I feel like it might've contributed to the early death of my previous unit.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Hob_Gadling posted:

APC works fine and doesn't break the bank. Something like this maybe:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=82-303-008&ParentOnly=1&IsVirtualParent=1

Yeah, that's a good call. Let's me stay away from Monster and Belkin too. I ended up getting the J35, looks a little slicker and has a battery backup.

I pulled the trigger on the Onkyo TX-NR818, we will see how it works for me. I was kind of disappointed it doesn't have airplay, but I doubt I'd really use it all that much anyway.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

jonathan posted:

$900 will get you 2 4cu.ft. flat pack kits, 2 18" drivers, and a behringer ep4000 amp. That would best any subwoofer setup under $3000.

This guy. I like this guy.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

So I just finished setting up my home theater, thanks to all of you in this thread that helped. Here's what I'm running:

Receiver - Onkyo TX-NR818
A pioneer 50" GT-30 plasma
power conditioning - APC J35 w/battery backup
Center - Polk TL3
Fronts - POLK AUDIO MONITOR70B II R
Rears - POLK AUDIO RM 7 Satellite
Sub - Polk Audio PSW10

It sounds loving fantastic. The Onkyo's Theater and Music modes are both excellent, listening to a FLAC of Dark Side of the Moon and watching Transformers 2 were equally enjoyable. The extra wattage from the Onkyo really makes it kick the poo poo out of the Pioneer VSX I was running before, and the on screen interface and web music options are really nice.

So once again, thanks goons. I've got a great setup thanks to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

My TV is doing a bunch of flashy weird poo poo when I'm using my PS3. It's not happening on any other inputs, so it's likely the HDMI cable or maybe the PS3, but probably not the receiver, right? It's the Onkyo nr818.