Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

jonathan posted:

Downsides: Not available in Canada yet. You'd have to ship them in or drive across the line to get them if you're in Canadia.

This is currently killing me. I'd love to pick up some of these speakers but I can't justify a trip down to Bellingham or Seattle to see if I could find some. Any ideas when they might be available up here? Or any recommendations for similarly priced solutions? I'm an apartment dweller on a tight budget so I'm probably looking for a 3.0 or a 3.1 system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

Doc Spratley posted:

If you are in the Vancouver area, use TSB shipping in Point Roberts. (or other depot of your choice)

Ship items in your name, using their address. Once your stuff arrives just drive down, pay a few dollars fee, and bring your stuff back over the border.

It works great, you can take advantage of free ground shipping deals in the states, no hassling with brokerage fees, etc. I saved over 300 bux buying my winter tires via this route.

This would be ideal. Any idea if customs would be a problem? We're talking like $300 worth of equipment here but I'm a foreigner in Canada and I always get loving nervous at the borders.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

Polk Audio

The value brand. Their speakers are often on sale, and for the price can be very good purchases. PSW10 is practically _the_ choice to pick if you want a $100 subwoofer. Newegg seems to have good deals on Polk constantly up: check there first.

Looked in to this for alternatives to a US trip to pick up Pioneer speakers and Newegg does indeed have some pretty reasonable prices on what seem to be acceptable starter Polk speakers. Does anyone have any experience with the Monitor50s (~$260 a pair) or the Monitor60s (~$360 a pair)? Or the CS1 centre?

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

The only difference I can perceive is bass. As to CS1, it'll work with both sets.

As someone who is probably be going 3.0 (tightish budget, most of it going on a nice big LED LCD :v:) would it be worth moving up to the 60s then? Any idea of the CS2 is worth the extra $80 over the CS1? As I mentioned earlier I'm not planning on going super loud (apartment) or super high quality/budget (this is literally my first home theatre system) and I can't see anyone who retails these things locally that I could go try them out myself. Thanks!

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

What's the receiver you're using?

I was intending picking up a Pioneer VSX-820-K. It's unlikely I'll ever run 5.1 let alone 7.1 and this thing has all the inputs I could ever need, plus it seems to be at a great price and available everywhere.

Thanks for the speaker advice guys, I'll more than likely pick up a set and a CS1 some time this week.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
Nevermind!

SeventySeven fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 18, 2011

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
FINALLY got all my gear talked about on page 1 and spent several hours setting it up. Here's a picture!

I ran in to some troubles straight up because the Polk CS1 is a lot bigger than I thought it would be (I originally thought I'd be able to have it sit in front of the TV). I ended up having to put it on shelf on the TV bench and ended up pulling out the drawer and adjusting the shelf height so that the receiver could fit below it. At least Ikea furniture is flexible in that regard. I am a little worried about how this may affect the sound quality and positioning but it's the only feasible solution without dumping more money in to this project.

My favourite part of the set up is the old Macbook Pro under the cable box which is going to basically just be a media player. I'm currently controlling it using Rowmote Pro on my iPhone which is the best $5 I've ever spent (I don't have a wireless keyboard/mouse handy). My next goal is to coherently organize all my media on my hard drives and set up Plex.

Thanks to everyone in the thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
Well, it sounds a lot better than the TV speakers I upgraded from! :v: I gave it a shot using a HD source last night and I have to say it sounded pretty drat good to me at least. I'd definitely describe the bass from the Monitor60s as sufficient, especially for my apartment. The main issue I'm having right now is sometimes dialogue is a little quite and "loud" scenes are too loud. I haven't had a chance to read through the manual but is there some setting I should play with first?